Author Topic: Remember who really believed when the stories change  (Read 88742 times)

Re: Remember who really believed when the stories change
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Great moment to bring back this thread.  TP.

« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
First, I loved Perkins, our scowling, fierce, defensive center.  I was blindsided by the trade, like everyone, and cried, like most.  After the shock, and after realizing that Perk went to a good system, I am seeing the upside of this trade.  I truly believed that we could reach the Grail before the trade, but it might even be a smoother path now.  Our team is suddenly healthier, younger, and possibly even more talented.  

Now it is up to Doc to assure that the new guys learn the system and morph into UBUNTU.  It would have been nice to have a training camp together, but he has two months...on the fly...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
First, I loved Perkins, our scowling, fierce, defensive center.  I was blindsided by the trade, like everyone, and cried, like most.  After the shock, and after realizing that Perk went to a good system, I am seeing the upside of this trade.  I truly believed that we could reach the Grail before the trade, but it might even be a smoother path now.  Our team is suddenly healthier, younger, and possibly even more talented.  

Now it is up to Doc to assure that the new guys learn the system and morph into UBUNTU.  It would have been nice to have a training camp together, but he has two months...on the fly...

Healthier, younger, more talented, and you get to add more in the 2012 free agent market. And have a future 1st rd Clipper pick to boot.

There is a lot of upside to this move.

« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
*ESPN: 10-person panel, all predicted Celtics either 2nd or 3rd in East (avg 2.8  ).  http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-Celtics

*ESPN's even bigger 25 person panel: 17 pick Heat to win East, 6 pick Cs, 2 pick Magic. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-East

The panel follows that up with 12 picking the Heat to win Finals, 12 picking the Lakers, and 1 (Chris FOrsberg) picking the Cs.  http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-NBAchamps

*Hollinger's prediction: "Boston will be a huge favorite to win the division -- it might be the only team over .500, in fact -- and still has the trump card that it matches up so well with Orlando. Unfortunately, the Celtics are unlikely to get to the point where it's just them and the Magic left standing, and they still have uppity rivals like the Bulls, Bucks and Hawks nipping at their heels. The Celtics' defense and chemistry will keep them near the top, but I'm not seeing enough firepower to provide a repeat of last season's run. At the end of the day, I think they'll be exactly what they were a year ago from November to April. It's the ending that I see changing.

Prediction: 51-31, 1st in Atlantic, 3rd in Eastern Conference"
( http://celticsgreen.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bchistorian&action=display&thread=6692 Link is to Celtics board that quotes the entire article)

Mild story-change alert: Stephen A. Smith of ESPN is on Mike & Mike radio show (on ESPN), and if I heard correctly he just said that (paraphrase): Most of us pundits picked the Celtics to beat the Heat this year from the beginning, because of the size difference.

Only thing (look at the quoted above): ESPN OVERWHELMINGLY picked Miami as the preseason favorite out of the East.  I don't have a prediction posted for Smith (I don't think), but clearly the majority of his ESPN colleagues did NOT pick the Celtics over the Heat coming into this season.  The final chapter isn't written, so this isn't gloating yet, I'm just saying...if you're going to change the story, then change it and admit that you're doing it.  But don't say that you all knew something all along when in fact most of you were saying the exact opposite...

« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »

Offline nodo26

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
UNLEASH THE KRAKEN...

« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
*ESPN: 10-person panel, all predicted Celtics either 2nd or 3rd in East (avg 2.8  ).  http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-Celtics

*ESPN's even bigger 25 person panel: 17 pick Heat to win East, 6 pick Cs, 2 pick Magic. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-East

The panel follows that up with 12 picking the Heat to win Finals, 12 picking the Lakers, and 1 (Chris FOrsberg) picking the Cs.  http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2010/news/story?page=Predictions1011-NBAchamps

*Hollinger's prediction: "Boston will be a huge favorite to win the division -- it might be the only team over .500, in fact -- and still has the trump card that it matches up so well with Orlando. Unfortunately, the Celtics are unlikely to get to the point where it's just them and the Magic left standing, and they still have uppity rivals like the Bulls, Bucks and Hawks nipping at their heels. The Celtics' defense and chemistry will keep them near the top, but I'm not seeing enough firepower to provide a repeat of last season's run. At the end of the day, I think they'll be exactly what they were a year ago from November to April. It's the ending that I see changing.

Prediction: 51-31, 1st in Atlantic, 3rd in Eastern Conference"
( http://celticsgreen.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bchistorian&action=display&thread=6692 Link is to Celtics board that quotes the entire article)

Mild story-change alert: Stephen A. Smith of ESPN is on Mike & Mike radio show (on ESPN), and if I heard correctly he just said that (paraphrase): Most of us pundits picked the Celtics to beat the Heat this year from the beginning, because of the size difference.

Only thing (look at the quoted above): ESPN OVERWHELMINGLY picked Miami as the preseason favorite out of the East.  I don't have a prediction posted for Smith (I don't think), but clearly the majority of his ESPN colleagues did NOT pick the Celtics over the Heat coming into this season.  The final chapter isn't written, so this isn't gloating yet, I'm just saying...if you're going to change the story, then change it and admit that you're doing it.  But don't say that you all knew something all along when in fact most of you were saying the exact opposite...

Got to hand it to Hollinger, though.  Between that pre-season prediction (to be fair, he had us winning fewer games than we did) and his series prediction of Heat in 5, he's looking pretty smart right now.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I fell off the bus (duck tour, whatever) yesterday, but thanks to Employee#8's post in the "Ultimate Feel Good about the Heat Series" thread, I have picked myself up out of the muck.  If you want to feel better at this point, early in the Heat/Celtics series, give it a peek.  Go Celts!  Bring it on!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I STILL BELIEVE!

« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I returned to the game threads last night for the first time and it was really sad to see the number of people who were openly disparaging the Celtics at every opportunity and seemingly was cheering for them to lose just to prove their negativity correct.

I still believe, as every Red Sox fan who lived through 2004 should, that anything in sports is possible and that a 2-0 lead in a series is far from proof that a series or season is over. The Bruins were just down 2-0 to the Canadians and came back to win in seven.

Its not over til its over and this team is too talented, too prideful and too tough to count out just yet. Go Celtics!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I believe!!

« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah, I returned to the game threads last night for the first time and it was really sad to see the number of people who were openly disparaging the Celtics at every opportunity and seemingly was cheering for them to lose just to prove their negativity correct.

I still believe, as every Red Sox fan who lived through 2004 should, that anything in sports is possible and that a 2-0 lead in a series is far from proof that a series or season is over. The Bruins were just down 2-0 to the Canadians and came back to win in seven.

Its not over til its over and this team is too talented, too prideful and too tough to count out just yet. Go Celtics!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!

Me too!

« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I BELIEVE!!!!!

Me too!

Me three 8)

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I still believe.  I'm discouraged.  I was disgusted last night.  But it's not over yet.  We're going back to Boston and hopefully Shaq will play.  Those two things alone could get us two wins.  If that happens and Shaq stays healthy, I like our chances of taking two our of three the last three games. 

« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

I BELIEVE!!!!!
+100. TP
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I believe.