Author Topic: Remember who really believed when the stories change  (Read 88785 times)

Re: Remember who really believed when the stories change
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Just remember that KG has only been back a couple games and Marquis is coming back after the  All Star break and will give Paul and Ray a little relief.  It will take both of them a couple games to get their legs under them and for the team to get used to their play again.  The season doesn't hinge on any one regular season game....even if it is the Lakers, Cavs, Magic, etc.  The teams we play now may not be the same teams we play in the playoffs...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Just remember that KG has only been back a couple games and Marquis is coming back after the  All Star break and will give Paul and Ray a little relief.  It will take both of them a couple games to get their legs under them and for the team to get used to their play again.  The season doesn't hinge on any one regular season game....even if it is the Lakers, Cavs, Magic, etc.  The teams we play now may not be the same teams we play in the playoffs...
I agree with you here 100%...tp

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
So much discussion for a simple situation.

There are other teams that are at least our equals (over the course of a season, not just the first healthy week of the season). We are good enough to win it all, but so are some other teams. We will make the playoffs with a high seed. No team is dominant enough this season that they are a shoo-in for the finals (esp with Kobe repeatedly injured).

Most importantly, no one knows how things will play out. You may have great insight into the shortcomings of teams, but the playoffs are non-deterministic.

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
That is exactly what I have been trying to say, Guava.  We have as good a chance as anyone who makes the playoffs.  It is a whole new ballgame and is promised to no one...otherwise, why bother playing the season or the playoffs?  Just play one game at a time and don't give too much weight to any one game.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'm still in. At least I "believe" the C's are one of the three or four teams with a shot at the title.
The talent is there, but they'll all need to be healthy for the playoffs(maybe unrealistic, but possible). But it's better than being one of the other 25 or so teams that has no chance.
If things don't work out this year, then a complete makeover of the bench is in order for next year-except for Eddie House, I love the guy. And, what the heck, I'll throw in a gratuitous bring back Leon request here too.
But for this year, just play it out and hope for the best, unless, referring to another post, the Sixers are crazy enough to give us Iggy for Ray ;)

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I'm definitely still in.  And I've seen the same negative trends in the media, so that'll just be more fodder for me to have fun with in about 6 months

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 03:17:18 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Still feel the same as I did in October ... at least as far as the "Big Picture" goes. If people are counting this team out, they're in for a few surprises.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
tboots ....you remember for me ...and get busy on those slippers....you and I know the faithful....coffee please!!!

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
Posting Indeed Proceed's game preview in here for posterity sake.  He has links about John Hollinger not believing, Marc Stein not believing, and even some Celtic fans not believing anymore.  I still believe that come June links like these will just be more fodder.  We'll see.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2010/2/3/1291252/celtics-heat-check-against-the-heat

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
The Sports Guy checks in with another entry, first brought to my attention in Roy Hobbs' "#17 or Durant" thread http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=34888.0:

Q: If you could go back in time "Lost"-style and fix the 2007 lottery so the Celtics landed the second pick, would you keep what happened (No. 5 pick, KG trade, 2008 title, everything else that happened up to now), or would you switch it so that they ended up with the No. 2 pick and Durant?
--Dr. Bill Simmons, Boston

SG: OK, I fibbed that one. My dad asked me that on the phone this week. And we both came to the same conclusion pretty quickly: You'd have to go with Durant. Have you seen what he's doing for the Zombies lately? Thirty a night, eight boards, 50 percent shooting, nails his free throws … just eerie, Gervin-like consistency for a young team that doesn't have another reliable scorer, and if that's not enough, he's the single best teammate in the league other than LeBron. Barring injury, he's going to win this year's scoring title (he'd be the youngest ever by two years) and could be looking at a historic 35 ppg, 10 rpg, 50/40/90 percentage season soon. I don't see how you pass that up. And if you remember, the 2007 Celts had a decent nucleus in place already (Al Jefferson, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Paul Pierce, Theo Ratliff's expiring contract, the rights to Minnesota's No. 1) and easily could have turned a couple of those assets into Pau Gasol a couple of months later.

Here's the best analogy: You know in football when a team kicks a field goal, only there's a penalty, and they have the option of wiping the points off the board but getting four new downs? It's usually a horrible idea to wipe the points off unless you have someone on the Brady-Manning-Brees level as your quarterback. Too risky otherwise. For a redo of the 2007 lottery scenario, you would wipe three points off the board (in this case, an NBA title), grab Durant and go for seven points (the possibility of multiple titles and 15-plus years of a potential pantheon guy). You have to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100205&sportCat=nfl

As you can see from Roy's thread, this idea got some support on this board and my point isn't to call out anyone who holds this opinion, including Simmons.  The point is to document where he stands now...Simmons has made it clear this season that he doesn't really see this Celtics team as a championship squad.  Which is ok, I guess, it's his opinion.  But don't change the story later on...if these Cs win #18 this year I don't want to read anything about "reverse jinx" or "I made my kids watch this team because I knew they were watching history". 

This era of Celtics basketball is "a field goal" in Simmons' mind...later on I don't want to read anything from him about them being touchdowns.

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
Writers jumping off the bandwagon like flies.  It's Elrod's turn.

"The reason is clear: it is now obvious that the Boston Celtics will not win the 2010 NBA title. And their chances of winning the 2011 NBA title, as presently constituted, are even more remote. In other words, the team is no longer a genuine contender."

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/863/20100209/danny_ainges_critical_juncture/

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:26 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
I hate to be a non-believer in this thread but considering the way the season is going couldn't it be that all the experts were right

After only 49 games the C's have lost 17 games, probably more than most of the participants and maybe even the originator of the thread thought they would lose this year

Is a 52-30 record really out of the question

I desperately want this team to win and will be cheering them on until the end with all my heart and soul

But maybe those experts were right

Maybe this team is too old and not good enough

Isn't time to maybe concede they might have been correct
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
I hate to be a non-believer in this thread but considering the way the season is going couldn't it be that all the experts were right

After only 49 games the C's have lost 17 games, probably more than most of the participants and maybe even the originator of the thread thought they would lose this year

Is a 52-30 record really out of the question

I desperately want this team to win and will be cheering them on until the end with all my heart and soul

But maybe those experts were right

Maybe this team is too old and not good enough

Isn't time to maybe concede they might have been correct

The original point of this thread wasn't to prophecy, or even to pat ourselves on the back for our "great" team.  If you go back to the OP, the point was that the "experts" (and even fans) often write teams off early only to change their story dramatically at the end.  I gave the example of the '04 Wolves and the '08 Celtics, both of whom were supposedly fragile and iffy before-hand then after the fact were lauded as obvious juggernauts.

I, personally, believe this current team is the champion-in-waiting.  I believed it before the season when everyone had stars in their eyes (then, I really thought they could win 70), I believed it early in the season when KG was hobbling into shape and many started writing him/us off (the 70 looked bleaker then, but definitely still saw the championship), I believed it in December when KG started getting into shape and the team went on its win streak, I believed it when Pierce and KG have had their injuries and the team struggled, and I continue to believe it now while they are trying to play themselves back into shape (no longer see them fighting for regular season stuff at all, but prep for 18 still on-going).  That's what I believe.

Now perhaps, as you say, the pundits are right.  If so, then come June (or whenever the Cs lose) I'll come to this thread and acknowledge it and try to pinpoint whether my error was due to incorrect evaluation, bad luck, or homer-tinted glasses.  But I'll come in here and fall on the sword.

But if, as I suspect, the pundits are wrong.  If, as I suspected last year and suspect again this year, the team is doing what it has to in order to make it through the long year healthy and they start to find their groove after the Break in March and April.  If, as I suspect, once the playoffs come around and there is at least a day between games and our best players are playing 38 minutes instead of 31 the team starts looking like champions.  If, as I suspect, this team handles their business in the early round then comes in as heavy underdogs and defeats the Cavs in the ECF and the Lakers in the Finals.  If, as I suspect, THOSE things happen, I don't want the same writers (and fans, even) that are burying the team now to claim that they knew it all the time.  That this team was just too talented to lose.  That it was obvious that the Cs would take this title.

If they (or anyone else) later say "you know, I doubted and it didn't seem possible, but somehow this team overcame the obstacles and fought their way to a title"...I'm cool with that.  But if the doubters now are all over in June talking about how they were on the bandwagon all along...no you (freakin) WASN'T!

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP drza, I still believe like I did at the beginning of the season.

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2010, 10:18:31 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
We win another championship and I guarantee the last thing I'll be concerned with is "who really believed."  We fans all hate it when our C's don't play well and we all dig it when they do.  That's all I gotta know about my fellow fans.  Period.