Author Topic: Bill Simmons NBA previews  (Read 8388 times)

Bill Simmons NBA previews
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Bill Simmons writes about the 33 most intriguing things about this season:
Part 1:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/part1/091023&sportCat=nba
Part 2: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part2/091023&sportCat=nba

Quotes
30. Rajon Rondo
How will he handle Danny Ainge shopping him while publicly dragging him through the mud this past June? Will it bother him that the Celtics didn't care about signing him to an extension? Why are they so afraid to commit to him? Why does he keep getting so much "loner" and "enigma" buzz? Why is everyone so willing to forget how unbelievably he played against Chicago this past spring? Why doesn't it matter that he spent the summer playing with Mark Price and getting into sick shape? Why risk pushing away someone this good? What am I missing? I remain confused.

(Even stranger, he's absolutely jacked this season. Not since Joe Piscopo has someone's suddenly ripped body been this disorienting. Check him out. He looks like Calvin Johnson. You will be shocked. If this were baseball, we'd be making HGH jokes about him.)

This is actually what I agree with. Please sign him!

7. Kevin Garnett
Remember in Shawshank, when Red was describing how Andy burrowed through the walls thanks to "pressure over time." The same goes for NBA players and knees. Pressure over time. You pressure your knees over time, and eventually, they don't work as well. For big guys, they lose three things once their knees start going: explosiveness (self-explanatory), quick hops (the ability to quickly jump up for a rebound or a block without setting their legs and bending their knees first) and auto-start (the ability to quickly start moving from a standing position).

Now, this isn't a career-ender. You can plod along for years afterwards at 70-75 percent effectiveness. Kareem did it. Ewing did it. Shaq just did it the last four years. Hell, C-Webb limped around for two quality Kings teams in 2003 and 2004. It can be done. Just know that, once someone battles a severe knee issue with 1100-1200 games on the odometer, those three things (mentioned above) never really come back. It's almost like plastic surgery. Mess with your face once … maybe it looks the same. Go back again … now you're pushing it. Go a third times … now you're going to look like Cat Woman. And there's no going back. So if you're expecting KG to slap 24/13s and dominate games defensively, think again. I see him more like an aging middle linebacker -- think Ray Lewis -- who can still make big plays and knows where to be at all times, and yet, you're not crazy about seeing him drop into coverage to cover Knowshon Moreno one on one. Either way, it will be fascinating.

One silver lining for Celts fans: They can make the Finals with Garnett at 65-70 efficiency. Why? Because it's the deepest of the three Garnett/Celtics teams, and because the rest of the conference is that weak. Anything he gives them beyond a 14/7 and good defense is a bonus. A little frightening to say about someone in Year 1 of a 3-year, $53 million extension. But true.

What do you guys think?
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

Re: Bill Simmons NBA previews
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What do you guys think?

I think Simmons can't admit that he was wrong on KG's knee.  Sticking with this "65 - 70% efficiency" argument seems silly to me, when we're clearly seeing that KG is much more healthy than that.  I'd say he's at at least 90% right now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What do you guys think?

I think Simmons can't admit that he was wrong on KG's knee.  Sticking with this "65 - 70% efficiency" argument seems silly to me, when we're clearly seeing that KG is much more healthy than that.  I'd say he's at at least 90% right now.

I agree. He's looked quite good out there.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Way off ... KG is far beyond 65 to 70%, and the knees, soft tissue in particular, very often respond extremely well to surgery, (arthroscopic especially), and can actually become stronger. It also is the type of reparation that can fare better in the long-term, if the patient exercises more frequently and participates in competitive sports, (unless of course the damage is due to degenerative causes).

As far as Rondo ... a disorientingly ripped body?!? Come on, Bill ... and I don't think they're about to "push him away."
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Good Bill Simmons Article.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

14. Andrew Bynum
I am 65 percent certain that this exact conversation happened within the past four weeks.

(Kobe enters Phil Jackson's office. Brian Shaw is sitting to Phil's right.)

Phil: Kobe, thanks for stopping by.

Kobe: No problem. I got five minutes. Artest is taking me to Hollywood Boulevard; he wants to introduce me to the guys dressed up like Superman and Batman. He thinks they're the actual superheroes. I haven't had the heart to tell him they're homeless guys.

Phil: Well, don't tell him differently. Let him think that.

Kobe: I will.

Phil: Look, I really want to get Bynum more involved in our offense in November and December. It's a good thing, Kobe. Just trust me. We run everything through him for 42 minutes. You take over for the last six.

Kobe: C'mon, we did this last season. Then he got hurt, I took over and our team took off. Why go through the charade again?

Phil: Because you're still two titles behind MJ?

Kobe: That's your big motivational move with me now, huh?

Phil: Hey, he told me himself -- "Tell Kobe to call me when he gets to six."

Kobe (eyes narrowing): He said that?

Phil: Yup. He said he can't even take you seriously until you win two more.

Kobe: Really?

Phil: Yup. That's why we need Bynum right now. The Pechonkamappadosa tribe has a phrase for this called, "Kakaboomaka." It means, "To share the credit without giving up credit with those who matter." I just want to build his confidence up and save your legs. We put a ton of miles on those babies these past two years -- 208 games. This is good for you.

Kobe: Lemme think about it.

(Kobe leaves. Phil turns to Shaw.)

Phil: This is too easy.

lol

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
my bad didn't see this thread.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I would be upset at his lack of any journalistic integrity if he had any to begin with.  The desire for page views is more important than actual facts.  Sadly his type of reporting is permeating the internets.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I would be upset at his lack of any journalistic integrity if he had any to begin with.  The desire for page views is more important than actual facts.  Sadly his type of reporting is permeating the internets.

He's never claimed to be a journalist... Are you expecting Bill Simmons to sit around trying to break news or quotes?  He's never had press passes and ultimately gained popularity for his angle of writing that appealed to fans.  Personally I like his style of writing (except for the constant pop culture references), and think that he has a good take on the NBA.  I don't agree with everything he says, but he goes out on more of a limb calling out refs, Stern, etc, and I generally enjoy his style.

If you're looking for journalists go check out Bob Ryan and Jackie over at the globe.  Oh I'm sorry, they only write one relevant piece ever few months (or so it seems).

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

He's never claimed to be a journalist... Are you expecting Bill Simmons to sit around trying to break news or quotes?  He's never had press passes and ultimately gained popularity for his angle of writing that appealed to fans.  Personally I like his style of writing (except for the constant pop culture references), and think that he has a good take on the NBA.  I don't agree with everything he says, but he goes out on more of a limb calling out refs, Stern, etc, and I generally enjoy his style.

If you're looking for journalists go check out Bob Ryan and Jackie over at the globe.  Oh I'm sorry, they only write one relevant piece ever few months (or so it seems).

I think Simmons straddles the fence of journalism.  He definitely at times states rumor as gospel, like the imaginary staples in KG's knee that somehow connected a tendon (located behind the knee) to his kneecap.  He "reported" that, and by all accounts is 100% wrong.

Despite being wrong, he continues to insist that KG is in worse condition that he really is.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 04:24:23 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I think Simmons straddles the fence of journalism.  He definitely at times states rumor as gospel, like the imaginary staples in KG's knee that somehow connected a tendon (located behind the knee) to his kneecap.  He "reported" that, and by all accounts is 100% wrong.

Despite being wrong, he continues to insist that KG is in worse condition that he really is.

I have never taken anything he has written as fact or even industry hearsay.  I remember the KG staple thing and not even paying attention to it.. simply b/c it came from Simmons.  Clearly he could better define his role in writing, but to me it's always been clear:  entertainment and not fact.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

I appreciate the thoughts but, I understand he's supposedly a blogger whatever that actually means.  But he clearly acts as if he has some inside information regarding the C's but, he more than not ends up being wrong.  His hit pieces on KG and Doc during the 08 playoffs was it for me the rest is just gravy.  Sorry I can't stand his type of fan.  Always complaining and speculating the worst without facts.  I hate that he has voice and he embarrasses me as a C's fan when he pretends to have a clue about the NBA.  But anyway too each his own.  Oh and everything in the NBA doesn't have some coorelation to Shawshank.  He's turning me off to the movie and I love that movie.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%

I appreciate the thoughts but, I understand he's supposedly a blogger whatever that actually means.  But he clearly acts as if he has some inside information regarding the C's but, he more than not ends up being wrong.  His hit pieces on KG and Doc during the 08 playoffs was it for me the rest is just gravy.  Sorry I can't stand his type of fan.  Always complaining and speculating the worst without facts.  I hate that he has voice and he embarrasses me as a C's fan when he pretends to have a clue about the NBA.  But anyway too each his own.  Oh and everything in the NBA doesn't have some coorelation to Shawshank.  He's turning me off to the movie and I love that movie.

He rights in the view of a fan. And isn't that what all fans do? Look at all the hit jobs on Rondo...hell even Paul Pierce in the 07 season (and the same hit jobs on Doc).

[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The article is amusing but as others have pointed out he's hopelessly pessimistic about KG's knee.

I also think he needs to get off Kevin Durant's lap - so to speak - at least a little.  He has some really wild expectations for Durant.  Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be good, but I see Kevin Durant as a potential Carmelo Anthony kinda guy, not the next MJ or even LBJ (read any of the recent articles about how poor in terms of +/- Kevin Durant has been in his first two years of play).

I'd love to believe Simmons at least insofar as the Spurs going to the Finals.  I have to believe, however, that we will get there too, and then beat them.

To the people arguing about whether Simmons is a journalist or a blogger or whatever:  I think you just need to view him as a guy with a lot of sports and popular culture knowledge who writes in a fairly sophomoric and often somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner.  Yeah, he stands firmly by the opinions he writes, but I think he tacitly acknowledges that they're not always backed up by what you might call scientific proof or objective reasoning. 

He's the Family Guy of sports journalism (hence the Sports Guy).  Sometimes he's outrageous and borderline ridiculous or even offensive, and other times you can't understand anything that he's writing about because of all the obscure references, but you just have to remember not to take him too seriously and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:43:17 PM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I also think he needs to get off Kevin Durant's lap - so to speak - at least a little.  He has some really wild expectations for Durant.  Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be good, but I see Kevin Durant as a potential Carmelo Anthony kinda guy, not the next MJ or even LBJ (read any of the recent articles about how poor in terms of +/- Kevin Durant has been in his first two years of play).

His +/- sucks because his team sucks.  If you play the majority of the minutes on a terrible team, your +/- is going to look bad - no matter how good you are.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

His +/- sucks because his team sucks.  If you play the majority of the minutes on a terrible team, your +/- is going to look bad - no matter how good you are.

Read the articles - it explains that too.  Russel Westbrook's +/- numbers are phenomenal compared to Kevin Durant.  Kevin Durant's team actually performs better when he's not on the floor.

The point isn't to say that Kevin Durant isn't a good player with a ton of potential, but that he isn't the next coming, at least not yet.  He has a lot of holes in his game and the fact that he's on a terrible team actually lets him get away with a lot of stuff.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers