Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 9641 times)

Borderlands
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Me and Aeacus are buying this tonight. I can't get to most review sites or video footage from work but here's a link my brother sent me that quotes some reviews:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1500409&page=18

My brother and I are a big fan of co-op oriented games, so we're going to play the heck out of it I'm sure.

Re: Borderlands
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm def getting this.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
im picking up my preorder before work today. its going to be a long dat at work because i will be wanting to play it :)

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
im picking up my preorder before work today. its going to be a long dat at work because i will be wanting to play it :)
Same I'm not off till 5 CST and I'm excited. I'm hoping to get off early.

Good news is my brother, his best friend, and I all have thursday off. So we're going to go until my eyes water and I'm blind!

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
My brother and I played the game for around 3 hours last night. It was a blast.

The only real issue is that if you're not the same level as your friends it'd be very tough to play with them. Taking on level 10/11 enemies was brutal at level 7. We had to run and do another quest to get to 9 to handle it.

Of course this is early and our gear still is crappy at this point. Well my gear is crappy, Aeacus is another story. I didn't find a purple level 13 machine gun or another blue machine gun in the box immediately afterwards. *grumble*

Seriously that purple machine gun does as much damager per bullet as my current sniper rifel  :(.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Fanfir, can you tell me if this has the option to switch to a 3rd person camera?  I have motion sickness and I can't play any 1st person games for more than 5 minutes without having to throw up.  Oblivion and Fallout 3 are 2 of the best games ever, but I was only able to play them because I could switch the camera.  Is this possible with Borderlands?

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Fanfir, can you tell me if this has the option to switch to a 3rd person camera?  I have motion sickness and I can't play any 1st person games for more than 5 minutes without having to throw up.  Oblivion and Fallout 3 are 2 of the best games ever, but I was only able to play them because I could switch the camera.  Is this possible with Borderlands?
I didn't see an option when I was playing, but I didn't really look at the manual beyond the button scheme.

I'll let you know this afternoon.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
My brother and I played the game for around 3 hours last night. It was a blast.

The only real issue is that if you're not the same level as your friends it'd be very tough to play with them. Taking on level 10/11 enemies was brutal at level 7. We had to run and do another quest to get to 9 to handle it.

Of course this is early and our gear still is crappy at this point. Well my gear is crappy, Aeacus is another story. I didn't find a purple level 13 machine gun or another blue machine gun in the box immediately afterwards. *grumble*

Seriously that purple machine gun does as much damager per bullet as my current sniper rifel  :(.

By brutal Fafnir means they exploded us into little tiny pieces of ripped flesh.  I really like the death sequence though.  You go prone and have about 15 seconds to kill an enemy  before you die and respawn.  If you do your up with half health with "Second Wind". I think we we're doing 1/4 or less damage to enemies 4 levels above us. 

And I'm sorry if two of the best pieces of loot were for me.  You did buy the auto pistol of badassness! :P   

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Note I had to buy it! For over half of my money.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Im actually thinking of getting this on the weekend, me and a friend are big FPS and co-op fans.

One thing i heard was that its incredibly hard to get into multiplayer teams because people boot others they don't know...any experience with that?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Im actually thinking of getting this on the weekend, me and a friend are big FPS and co-op fans.

One thing i heard was that its incredibly hard to get into multiplayer teams because people boot others they don't know...any experience with that?
No I just played with my brother in a private game.

I'd imagine that pick up games would be hard to find. There are no loot rules, anyone can just run around and start picking stuff up. So random strangers can just steal a nice gun or all of the gear from a boss fight and leave.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

No I just played with my brother in a private game.

I'd imagine that pick up games would be hard to find. There are no loot rules, anyone can just run around and start picking stuff up. So random strangers can just steal a nice gun or all of the gear from a boss fight and leave.

That might make me skip it then. The friend i play co-op with doesn't have a 360 of his own, so we'd just be doing split screen.

And, it seems a little to violent to play with my little brother (11) even though he plays some teen rated shooter and action games.

we'll see how im feeling about it this weekend with birthday money burning a hole in my pocket.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Well I think IP said he's going to pick it up, and my brother and I would be up for playing too.

Its really a lot of fun, my brother and I have been looking for this sort of game for a while. Basically what we hoped Too Human would be, and its a shooter making it even better!

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
Note I had to buy it! For over half of my money.

Eh, money falls from the sky in this game.  We'll find you a shiny blue/purple sniper rifle soon enough. 

My only concern with playing with random people is level differences.  It seems like early in the game if you aren't within 3 levels of the person you want to play with there will be big issues.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
Oh and this game is over the top violent at times.  It's meant in a silly, wow fashion but I'd have a hard time recomending it for anyone under 15-16.  Bandits heads will explode and torsos sometimes seem to disappear....

Just an FYI  ;D