Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 5422 times)

Dragon Age: Origins
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Anyone else picking this up?

As a huge bioware fan in general, and a baldurs gate fan in particular, I will be. Early reviews say it's going to be a great story.

Here's some vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iFrHRaH0Os

This one has gameplay, trailer for their expansion that drops on day one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzdOL5p60kc

Website: lots of good info here, along with the character creator, which you can download for free.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/

and last but not least, they shipped a gold copy to reviewers already, so here's the first hands on review.

http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx

Already has me hooked by being the successor (in spirit anyway) to baluders gate. Looks like a very good game.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm buying it when it comes out.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I might buy it now after reading up on it. TP for the heads up crownsy.

EDIT: I might buy it after I freaking fix my Xbox. Tonight is the night, I am pumped.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline steefp2

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
i'm definately buying this one. Been a huge bioware fan aswell since the first baldur's gate. Nice to see some likeminded celtic fans.

Anyone try the character creator yet ?

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'm probably going to buy this too.

I know it's not strictly related to this thread, but here is a list of the games I'd like to buy (but will inevitably have no time to play):

Dragon Age: Origins
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2
Final Fantasy XIII
The Agency
Star Wars: the Old Republic
Madden 2010
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'll pick this game up.  The game I'm really chomping at the bit for is Mass Effect 2, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i'm definately buying this one. Been a huge bioware fan aswell since the first baldur's gate. Nice to see some likeminded celtic fans.

Anyone try the character creator yet ?

I did, I'll be grabbing it for the xbox, due to overall computer cruddyness, but i wanted to play around with it.

I'm going to end up making around 4 characters, playing each one through the diffrent origin stories and keeping the one i like best i imagine.

I certainly won't have time to beat all 6 stories. Right now im leaning towards my dwarf fighter or human rogue. I was going to make a mage, but the black haired chick in the trailer (forget her name) is supposed to be some sort of awesome wizard, so i think that would be redundant more than a dwarf guy who beats people with axes and maces :D

It also doesn't hurt that her voice actor is claudia black, so i assume her dialogue will be hilariously sarcastic, if Farscape and Star gate are any judge.

She's looking like a lock in my party, much like wrex was mass effect
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I'm a huge bioware fan, played all of their games since the original Baldur's Gate.  I'm about 4-5 hours into it.  So far, graphics aren't up to Mass Effect standard but are still good.  The combat mechanics are fun, but melee combat isn't as hands on as I'd hoped.

The storyline and game world however are engrossing.  It's a traditional fantasy setting but throws a lot of curve balls at you.  Elves aren't effeminate archers and Dwarves aren't all surly drunks.  I contemplated calling in sick to work tomorrow, but I'm pretending to be an adult so I can't do that.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm a huge bioware fan, played all of their games since the original Baldur's Gate.  I'm about 4-5 hours into it.  So far, graphics aren't up to Mass Effect standard but are still good.  The combat mechanics are fun, but melee combat isn't as hands on as I'd hoped.

The storyline and game world however are engrossing.  It's a traditional fantasy setting but throws a lot of curve balls at you.  Elves aren't effeminate archers and Dwarves aren't all surly drunks.  I contemplated calling in sick to work tomorrow, but I'm pretending to be an adult so I can't do that.
I'm all about storyline.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 12:47:50 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
The more I read up on this game, the more I like what I read.  I'll probably pick it up for the PC when this semester ends, around Christmas.

Or for that matter, maybe I'll just ask for it for Christmas...

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Left work sick today and played for a good 4-5 hours.

The graphics are growing on me.  They are NOT cutting edge, but get the job done.  What is really working for me is how unique this fantasy world is.  So many fantasy games not called Morrowind give you the same old setting with little if any deviation from Tollkein/D&D. 

Dragon Age throws a wrench in the cake and the cake has lo-mein frosting and it is a good cake.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I find it extremely difficult to play anything that isn't 100% online, provide some sort of player v. player... or some component of online co-op.

This game offer anything like that? Or is this a play by yourself for 70 hours RPG?

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
I find it extremely difficult to play anything that isn't 100% online, provide some sort of player v. player... or some component of online co-op.

This game offer anything like that? Or is this a play by yourself for 70 hours RPG?

It is 100% single player.

I like multiplayer myself, just can't handle 1/2 of the players out there being... themselves.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Left work sick today and played for a good 4-5 hours.

The graphics are growing on me.  They are NOT cutting edge, but get the job done.  What is really working for me is how unique this fantasy world is.  So many fantasy games not called Morrowind give you the same old setting with little if any deviation from Tollkein/D&D. 

Dragon Age throws a wrench in the cake and the cake has lo-mein frosting and it is a good cake.

yea the graphics are sub par, but the game's storyline has been the focus, and it's been 6 years since the initial storyboard.

They updated the graphics a bit, but your still looking at 3 years ago or so, graphically.

Hoping to get this for christmas, no money in the budget for it right now with MW2 out.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Someone help me I can't stop playing this game.  I get nerdier with each passing day.