Author Topic: nba has a real opportunity...  (Read 4754 times)

Re: nba has a real opportunity...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I'm feelin these new refs. They're calling the game like a HS or college game... It's great. Keep the others locked out if you ask me.

8)

DL, I couldn't agree more, what a gift this could be for the fans of the game.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I'm feelin these new refs. They're calling the game like a HS or college game... It's great. Keep the others locked out if you ask me.

8)

DL, I couldn't agree more, what a gift this could be for the fans of the game.

agreed...tp for u

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
As always, you are right on point here DL.  My brother and I have felt it refreshing to see the job that these replacements referees have been doing.  The more invisible and fair and the less favoritism and impact they have on the game the better in my opinion.  Let's hope the dispute with the refs last awhile.

TP for saying what I have been thinking.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I feel the same. These new refs don't have any of the "baggage" (i.e. grudges, ingrained bad reffing habits, RIDICULOUSLY advanced age, ego etc.) that people like Bennett Salvatore, Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, and the guy with the slicked back hair that likes to remind people that he's TOTALLY in the building, and they should take a look at his totes dope slick back job OH YEAH KENNY MAUER there we go I knew I'd remember it.  ;D
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
As always, you are right on point here DL.  My brother and I have felt it refreshing to see the job that these replacements referees have been doing.  The more invisible and fair and the less favoritism and impact they have on the game the better in my opinion.  Let's hope the dispute with the refs last awhile.

TP for saying what I have been thinking.

exactly!  tp back at ya

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I just saw the below article on SI regarding Mark Cuban's thought of the refs:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/81342/index.html?eref=fromSI

He worded it perfectly, in my opinion, and I couldn't agree more:

""They've done a really, really good job. There's no agenda, there's no game management. It's just call the game the best you can. And to me that's refreshing," Cuban said.

Cuban said the replacement refs are just calling what they see. For example, they made a tough call on Dirk Nowitzki that Cuban didn't expect."

I'm glad this is gaining traction around the league, and I hope the message gets sent loud and clear!

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I just saw the below article on SI regarding Mark Cuban's thought of the refs:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/81342/index.html?eref=fromSI

He worded it perfectly, in my opinion, and I couldn't agree more:

""They've done a really, really good job. There's no agenda, there's no game management. It's just call the game the best you can. And to me that's refreshing," Cuban said.

Cuban said the replacement refs are just calling what they see. For example, they made a tough call on Dirk Nowitzki that Cuban didn't expect."

I'm glad this is gaining traction around the league, and I hope the message gets sent loud and clear!

Good find.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Personally, I feel like calls are being made every other possession and the game seems really slower from all the stoppage.

After watching 4 more days of preseason action, the games aren't as slow and I feel my opinion on the new refs has changed from when the preseason first started.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think these refs take a lot of the B.S. out of the calls, which is good. However, the replacements refs' "bedside manners", for lack of a better term, are pretty poor. I was in the 5th row at the Blazers/Suns game last night and while the refs call a pretty fair/consistent game (good), it also seemed like amateur hour out there. Those refs seemed very intimidated. To counter this, they seemed to get a little emotional and defensive about their calls. While nothing of consequence happened last night, I could easily see emotions and, subsequently, the entire game getting out of hand with these refs. Perhaps, that would be a skill they could master over time as they get more comfortable, but...

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I wonder how long until Lebron starts complaining? I want to see what players like Wade (constantly carrying and traveling) and Lebron (Mr.Crab Dribble) will have to say by midseason.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think these refs take a lot of the B.S. out of the calls, which is good. However, the replacements refs' "bedside manners", for lack of a better term, are pretty poor. I was in the 5th row at the Blazers/Suns game last night and while the refs call a pretty fair/consistent game (good), it also seemed like amateur hour out there. Those refs seemed very intimidated. To counter this, they seemed to get a little emotional and defensive about their calls. While nothing of consequence happened last night, I could easily see emotions and, subsequently, the entire game getting out of hand with these refs. Perhaps, that would be a skill they could master over time as they get more comfortable, but...

The problem is once they lose that humble/emotional reaction they become the egotistical/power hungry guys they are replacing and the cycle continues.  The humble ref gets walked over and the egotistical ref becomes a control freak.

Maybe a couple of game fixes would satisfy their emotional needs.  ;)
Yup