Author Topic: 2009 MLB Playoffs  (Read 30415 times)

Re: 2009 MLB Playoffs
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The LCS start up tonight with the Phillies/Dodgers while Angels/Yankees start up tomorrow night.

Any predictions, observations, etc?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
The LCS start up tonight with the Phillies/Dodgers while Angels/Yankees start up tomorrow night.

I think the Angels match up well against the Yanks, but I still see Yanks in 6. I don't know if A-Rod has excised his post-season demons yet. If anything I think there's even more pressure on him to deliver in the ALCS to try and vault the Yanks in the WS.

I'm picking the Phillies over the Dodgers in 5. LA lacks quality pitching and for the Phillies who are built like an AL East team, it's going to be like batting practice.

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think a Dodgers/Yankees WS would be pretty compelling, but rooting interest wise I'd rather see Angels and Phillies.

My gut tells me Dodgers/Yankees though
Yup

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I feel like the MLB has missed out on a chance to have some great ratings during these playoffs.  They have a lot of good players, traditional teams, and big market cities left in the final four.  However, the wait has been so long that any momentum coming from the first round has been lost.  These playoffs are being dragged out so long that they will go into November and the weather will be awful in Philly and New York.

There have been some great games, moments, comebacks already but those memories are going away.  They could've had the middle of the week to themselves but now they're going to compete against a good Saturday of college football and the always huge Sunday of the NFL.  Big mistake by not adjusting the schedule in my opinion.

As far as the series go, I'm still not convinced the Yankees are going to do it.  I still in my heart think their pitching and A-Rod are going to fall flat. 

I also do NOT want LA or Manny to win a series.  I don't want Philly to win another one because they are taking over as the best sports city in the country.  I guess that leaves the Angels.  Might as well lose to the eventual champs if you have to lose at all.  Their from LA but it is in Anaheim, I'm sure all the phony Laker fans are phony Dodgers fans.  The Angels seem to have a real, passionate fan base so obviously that means they are not Laker fans.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm thinking Philly in the NLCS.  These two teams matched up last year with the Phillies prevailing and I still think its a favorable matchup for PHIL a year later.  Not sold on the Dodgers.  They had some swoons in the regular season and I'm not sure they can just turn on the switch against a legitimate opponent.

My head tells me that the Yankees are probably the better team in the ALCS matchup but something tells me that this Angels team has "it" and will continue its surprising run.  This team has a lot of heart and I think they'll keep it going in the ALCS so I'm thinking the Angels with the upset.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I'm picking the Phillies over the Dodgers in 5. LA lacks quality pitching and for the Phillies who are built like an AL East team, it's going to be like batting practice.

Admittedly, I'm biased here (diehard lifelong Dodgers fan) and can't make an objective prediction at all for the series on the whole (I think these Dodgers are definitely better than last year's bunch, and I like the homefield advantage, but this is a terrific Philly team with a couple of potentially dominant starters), but...

...in re: comments about Dodger pitching, this team led the Majors in ERA, WHIP and OPS-against this season.  These stats aren't perfect, particularly thanks to the unbalanced schedule and the issues of park factors.  But the Dodgers also led the NL with a 122 ERA+, which should resolve at least some of those concerns.

Even if they aren't perfect measures, the idea that the Dodgers lack quality pitching is a myth.

-sw
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:40:53 PM by Steve Weinman »

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I want a Dodgers/ Angels series so I can shout " BEAT LA BEAT LA!" despite what fans I'm hanging out with.

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Oh did Manny crush that!
Yup

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Oh did Manny crush that!

Maybe we could sign-and-trade Jason Bay for him?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Well, in tonight's one-game sample, my Dodgers' pitching did not look so good.

It sure was fun watching Manny stare into the Philly dugout after his homer though.

What a disaster.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 01:02:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well, in tonight's one-game sample, my Dodgers' pitching did not look so good.

It sure was fun watching Manny stare into the Philly dugout after his homer though.

What a disaster.

-sw
Well I appreciate your Dodgers taking out the Cardinals, I still don't want the in the World Series.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 01:10:50 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Oh did Manny crush that!

Maybe we could sign-and-trade Jason Bay for him?

Approved.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2009, 06:32:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I miss Manny ... so shoot me.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *