Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Rockets (0-0) 10/7  (Read 107350 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Rockets (0-0) 10/7
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at   
Boston Celtics (0-0) at Houston Rockets (0-0)
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
8:30 PM ET
TV:  CSN HD
Preseason Game 1 
Dodge Arena, Hidalgo, Texas

Probable Starters

PG:  Rajon Rondo
SG:  Ray Allen
SF:   Paul Pierce
PF:   Kevin Garnett
C:    Kendrick Perkins

Off the Bench:
Rasheed Wallace
Marquis Daniels
Shelden Williams
Big Baby Davis
Eddie House
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine
Lester Hudson
Michael Sweetney

Injuries
Tony Allen (ankle) questionable
Bill Walker (knee)  questionable

Probable Starters

PG:  Aaron Brooks
SG:  Kyle Lowry
SF:  Trevor Ariza 
PF:   Luis Scola
C:    David Andersen 
NOTE:  This is a wild guess as to their starters.  Rick Adelman has said that he doesn't know who his starters are going to be and it could change from game to game in the preseason.  I PM'd a Rockets fan and asked for his best guess as to who would start and went with that.

Off the Bench
Brent Barry
Chase Budinger
Will Conroy
Brian Cook
Joey Dorsey
Chuck Hayes
Carl Landry
Pops Mensah Bonsu
Jermaine Taylor
Garrett Temple

Injuries
Shane Battier (hamstring) questionable
Yao Ming (foot) out
Tracy McGrady (knee) out 

Players to Watch

The most obvious player to watch is Kevin Garnett.  Reports and video out of training camp have been very encouraging.  But, this will be our first chance to see him in game action. 

Perhaps the most important player on this team other than KG is Rajon Rondo.  KG has described him as razor sharp in practice.  He has gained 11 lbs of muscle and also has reportedly worked on his jumper all summer.  It would be nice to see him hitting his shots early to gain confidence. 

Honorable Mention:
Rasheed Wallace, Marquis Daniels, Shelden Williams, Perk and Big Baby
This will be our first opportunity to see how the new players are meshing with the team and how the weight that Perk and Big Baby lost affects their games. 

Luis Scola was a key player for the Rockets last year and he should pick up where he left off last season.  The matchup between KG and Scola will be fun to watch as KG gets his first taste of competition since last February.

Trevor Ariza was the Rockets' key acquisition over the summer.  He swapped places with the combustible Ron Artest and should be a better fit for this team all the way around. 

Honorable Mention
Aaron Brooks, Brent Barry, David Andersen
It will be fun to watch the PG matchup between Brooks and Rondo.  Anderson is not a lock for the starting center spot and if he gets the start, he will be playing to make an impression that he should be there. Brent Barry has been a key player off the bench and it will be interesting to see if he is slowing down any. 

NOTES: 
Finally some real basketball to watch.  Celtics fans will be watching for the improvement in the young players who stepped up last season (Perk, Rondo, Big Baby) and to see how the new players mesh with the team (Quisy, Shelden, and Sheed), and also to see how the older players are looking at the start of another season (KG, Pierce, and Ray)

Starters and playing time are inexact sciences in the preseason so all of the above are just wild guesses that can change at the coach's whims.   Can't wait for this game and for the season to begin.  I know one thing, it's going to be a fun season. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:08:55 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Rockets (0-0) 10/7
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
First TP for a game thread of the year, you can feel the season right around the corner  ;D ;D

Boo this being on a wensday, Thats my long day at school...hopefully they replay it that night at like midnight.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I know this is up waaaaay  early, but I am so chomping at the bit for the season to get started that I just had to put this up early.  I can't wait for some real Celtics basketball again!!!

And thanks for the TP Crownsy! 

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
And of course, I don't have CSN here in Southern Connecticut.....I hate it.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
And of course, I don't have CSN here in Southern Connecticut.....I hate it.

Cause you're not part of New England  :P No really, that's messed up. No Celtic fan should be without.

Celtics by 50.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Words cannot express how good it is to see a game titled thread ;D Life is good again
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Yeah!! First game thread!! Can´t wait

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I know this is up waaaaay  early, but I am so chomping at the bit for the season to get started that I just had to put this up early.  I can't wait for some real Celtics basketball again!!!

My first thought was "Already?".  I thought that Tebow might not have been the only Floridian to get a concussion.  Then I thought "TP for FL" and that is what I went with.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

My first thought was "Already?".  I thought that Tebow might not have been the only Floridian to get a concussion.  Then I thought "TP for FL" and that is what I went with.
LOL.  TP RAcker, for giving me a good laugh. 

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP   Great to (finally) see you here again in Game Threads, and as antsy as I to get this season going.  We count on you to bring in the new season, as surely as apples and pumpkins symbolize autumn.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I suppose we get the first win @Houston. The Rockets seem a quite different team from last year. There is some good coaching and defensively they are tough.

Anxious to watch the first game of KG and also of Rondo and all the new faces. Curious to see Sheed in green too

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I am most interested in the Brooks-Rondo match up. Very similar styles. 

NBA League Pass does not broadcast pre-season games, correct??

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Finally, game threads return to Celticsblog! TP4U!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Is KG gonna start? Or play at all? I thought I read that he would play during preseason but it wasn't definite if he would play in every game or even the first few games. KG was saying himself that he is 85 90% right now. I don't even know if I want him playing much during preseason considering he is just getting back to playing 5 on 5 and isn't even 100% right now. I'm sure he could probably go out there and look like his old self anyway, but i'd rather him be at 100% and take it a little slower since these games really don't mean anything anyway.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think the Rockets are more likely to go with Landry at PF and Scola at center...who the heck is David Andersen anyway?

Landry / Scola frontcourt is really undersized but it's the best one they can put out there with their team as it stands.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers