Author Topic: Paranormal Activity - Scariest film of all time?  (Read 28700 times)

Re: Paranormal Activity - Scariest film of all time?
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The thing about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that freaks me out is how they got Leatherface. Anyone heard of Ed Gein? He also influenced the killer in Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock, and a few other messed up horror movie killers. One messed up guy...

Any Ed Gein reference deserves a Tommy Point.

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
The thing about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that freaks me out is how they got Leatherface. Anyone heard of Ed Gein? He also influenced the killer in Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock, and a few other messed up horror movie killers. One messed up guy...

Back at ya haha, how I even found out about him, I don't know.

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Back at ya haha, how I even found out about him, I don't know.

Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs is another one of those characters.

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 03:59:26 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
Check out www.crimelibrary.com. They probably have detailed info on every well-known serial killer in history, and then some. Very informative site.

I've read up on some of the serial killers listed there (Ed Gein, "Son of Sam" David Berkowitz, The Zodiac Killer, Bundy, Gacy, etc.). Seriously creepy stuff.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:10:29 AM by mzepol »

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Saw it last night with a bunch of people and most of the theatre was laughing in unison at much of it.  I'm sure some people laughed that nervous laugh, while many (including myself) were doing so out of ridiculousness.  I did think there were some isolated good parts, but overall I found the most unbelievable thing not to be the paranormal activity, but instead to be the humans response to all of these events.  So unbelievable that it was laughable more than it was scary.  I don't recommend it...

TP for this review. I finally caved in and saw this last night. For first person scares I still rate Cloverfield way above this. I actually wanted to get scared but I was too busy hating the couple. They just made no sense at all. The very end didn't even scare me. I kinda laughed.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I love horror movies, but I hate the slasher variety.  I don't understand being scared of that.  I always find myself thinking "OK... just kick him in the gonads.  Monster solved."  I don't know, I can't be afraid of a real thing like that.

The Ring has my vote for scariest of all time, with #2 being The Exorcist and #3 being.... Paranormal Activity!

The director used really low budget stuff, but did a superb job of building tension with low-tech methods.  You just keep waiting and watching, knowing each time it is only going to get worse.   I would really, strongly, recommend this movie to people that like to be scared.  I saw it at a near abandoned theater and it was awesome.  Pro-tip, always the path to take with the abandoned theaters, I hate when you go to see a scary movie and the theater is packed.  Because inevitably, there is someone who doesn't belong there.  They don't want to be scared, so they talk through the whole movie or laugh innapropriately

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I didn't like the theatrical ending.  I tracked down the original ending, it is much better.  Just google it and you can find it.

One thing I didn't like about this film was how stupidly Kate and Micah behaved.  Micah kept taunting what was clearly a supernatural, powerful force that was capable of hurting them.  Kate didn't seem to freak out nearly as much as I would have in that situation.  But... it did kind of make the movie work better.  Otherwise, if they got help, it would have broken the insular, almost claustrophobic style.  Plus, they probably didn't have the budget to go film scenes in other places or pay many actors.

END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

I didn't like the theatrical ending.  I tracked down the original ending, it is much better.  Just google it and you can find it.

Totally disagree. The original ending kills the momentum that the last 15 minutes of the film built up. It spends way too long to resolve itself, whereas the theatrical ending provides a huge shock and powerful ending that perfectly caps off the slow burn of the film in general. I like the other one in theory, but Spielberg was right to suggest the change. Go figure.

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Totally disagree. The original ending kills the momentum that the last 15 minutes of the film built up. It spends way too long to resolve itself, whereas the theatrical ending provides a huge shock and powerful ending that perfectly caps off the slow burn of the film in general. I like the other one in theory, but Spielberg was right to suggest the change. Go figure.

Avast!  There be spoliers below!  Read ye at yer own peril!

Honestly, the only part I didn't like was the post script saying Kate's whereabouts were currently unknown.  I thought that was a cheesy hollywood cliche.  The shock value was a bit much for me but I didn't mind it.  I liked that Kate died in the original ending as it at least gave closure, and also left Micah's fate unseen which can often be worse.  There is another alternate ending that sounds like the best to me.  You can read about it here (more spoilers obviously):

http://www.horrorsquad.com/2009/10/11/so-what-was-paranormal-activitys-original-ending/

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
my hat is off to who made this. great jopb of advertising because this was a horrible movie. anybody really could hgave made this. it could not be any less scary. the part at the end was actually funny. but again, good for them gettin rich off this thing. amazing.

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I found it to be a waste of my time.  Terrible movie.

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Avast!  There be spoliers below!  Read ye at yer own peril!

Honestly, the only part I didn't like was the post script saying Kate's whereabouts were currently unknown.  I thought that was a cheesy hollywood cliche.  The shock value was a bit much for me but I didn't mind it.  I liked that Kate died in the original ending as it at least gave closure, and also left Micah's fate unseen which can often be worse.  There is another alternate ending that sounds like the best to me.  You can read about it here (more spoilers obviously):

http://www.horrorsquad.com/2009/10/11/so-what-was-paranormal-activitys-original-ending/
Thanks for posting the link. My friend downloaded the movie offline and apparently he got the original version. I think I might rewatch the the theatrical version to see if it's better.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Paranormal Activity is like the better looking but dumber cousin of The Blair Witch Project.  It uses the same storytelling techniques in a slicker yet more bluntly manipulative fashion.

Mike

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 05:20:11 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Scary movies don't really get too me.

But do you want them to get to you?  Any grown ass man isn't going to be bothered by a scary movie if he doesn't want it to.  It's a freakin' movie.  To get into a horror movie you have to want to be scared.

You often hear people say "That wasn't scary at all," like they are proud of it.  If you are bragging about not being scared of a movie and you are past the age of ten, seek help.*

*This last paragraph isn't directed at you, Toppers, it's more of a people in general thing.

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »

Kiorrik

Just watched the alternate ending (thanks for the heads up, Schupac!) and it creeped me out again. Love this film, it's the first one to really scare me in a while.

Now as for the "grown men don't get scared" thing, (so kind of @freshinthehouse) some people have trouble getting scared easily. I love watching horror movies but the only way I get really scared, is if I watch them alone. When there's others present, I'm just not phased. I do try, but I just can't get into the mood. Maybe it has something to do with what I think is my only fear in this world; to be alone.

Anyway, enough opening up for me ;)

Here's another rad thing I do to get scared; I LOVE watching horror and scary movies while I'm alone, in the dark, at night when I'm tired, with the volume up. Believe me, that gets you scared. Especially since I really live up to those kinds of films and procrastinate watching them till I'm really tired ;)

Oh, and the film? 80%, had to deduct at least 5% for the way the couple did react rather... strange. I just had that "why the hell do you do that?" feeling a bit too often. The movie does what it's supposed to do though; scare ya.

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58

I remember reading his story when I was back in 6th grade...he used eyeballs for lampshades, skulls as drinking cups   and wore the skin of women around the house   as if it were a suit....man I get the chills just thinking about that

As far as paranormal activity    Id give it a B at best,  wasnt all that scared   for those of you in New England  check out http://www.caiprs.com/Paranormal%20Cape%20Cod.htm    The guy gives tours of all the haunted spots in Barnstable   it is AWESOME   put it on your must do list