Author Topic: Halo: ODST  (Read 3674 times)

Halo: ODST
« on: September 25, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Anyone else pick this up?  I wasn't going to get it but my roommate offered to pay for half since he loves Halo, so I got it.

My first impression is INTENSE dissapointment.  The campaign is stylish but so far, lacks that frenetic epic Halo feel.  The multiplayer, which was a great piece of Halo 3 is.... THE SAME MULTIPLAYER AS HALO 3!

Are you f'ing kidding me?  Apparently there are a whopping 3 new maps.  Whoop dee doo.  They also added a firefight mode, similar to gears of war 2's horde, but this game doesn't lend itself to that defensive style nearly as well.

I'm a little annoyed I bought it, even at only $20 cost to myself.  I feel like this is a plain and simple money milker on Bungie's part.  Anyone else picked it up?

Re: Halo: ODST
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Anyone else pick this up?  I wasn't going to get it but my roommate offered to pay for half since he loves Halo, so I got it.

My first impression is INTENSE dissapointment.  The campaign is stylish but so far, lacks that frenetic epic Halo feel.  The multiplayer, which was a great piece of Halo 3 is.... THE SAME MULTIPLAYER AS HALO 3!

Are you f'ing kidding me?  Apparently there are a whopping 3 new maps.  Whoop dee doo.  They also added a firefight mode, similar to gears of war 2's horde, but this game doesn't lend itself to that defensive style nearly as well.

I'm a little annoyed I bought it, even at only $20 cost to myself.  I feel like this is a plain and simple money milker on Bungie's part.  Anyone else picked it up?

No offense, but I'm not surprised. Halo 3 was good, but it wasn't as excellent as many people seem to think. To just expand on it-its obviously goign to be more of the same stuff. Not much to bring to the table in an extra campaign mode. Tbh, I'm surprised they even through in the maps.
Halo should have stopped after 2.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Im about 1 1/2 hrs into it and not that impressed either. So far I've just had to pick the brutes off at a distance unlike the last 3 games where the battle was close up. I hope that it gets a better as I get deeper into the campaign, but so far it lacks the intensity that the previous three had. Also, w/o Master Chief its just not the same. Hopefully Reach will be better. The MP doesn't really bother me as I just stick to GOW on live.

But the thing that sucks about this the most is with these two games comming out we wont see Halo 4 for a long time :-[
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Im about 1 1/2 hrs into it and not that impressed either. So far I've just had to pick the brutes off at a distance unlike the last 3 games where the battle was close up. I hope that it gets a better as I get deeper into the campaign, but so far it lacks the intensity that the previous three had. Also, w/o Master Chief its just not the same. Hopefully Reach will be better. The MP doesn't really bother me as I just stick to GOW on live.

But the thing that sucks about this the most is with these two games comming out we wont see Halo 4 for a long time :-[
I was under the impression that Reach WAS going to be 4?
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

I was under the impression that Reach WAS going to be 4?
I know I'm going to sound like a total nerd, but techincaly it's not. Reach takes place before Halo 1 in the story arc so it a prequel. What I'm looking for is for them to make a true 4th game that continues where 3 left off. They left the Chief orbitng some planet with enryone else on earth thinking he died. Now that the covenant is out I think they can start fresh
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
I like it so far, looking forward to getting some coop in with fafnir.  The story and the voice acting are making the campaign work for me.  Its a little wierd being much more fragile than the chief but I got used to being stealth in Batman:AA already.

I think its very much like Halo 3 only your a bit more fragile and have two new weapons.  I knew the multiplayer was the same going in (they just included all the Halo3 maps on a second disc).  Thats a good deal if your going to play multiplayer and never bought those maps before, otherwise meh.  I'm really looking forward to trying firefight as I really liked Horde in GoW2.  If your only interested in the single player, rent it.  But if you want co-op and are interested in the Reach beta, its worth it. 

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum

No offense, but I'm not surprised. Halo 3 was good, but it wasn't as excellent as many people seem to think. To just expand on it-its obviously goign to be more of the same stuff. Not much to bring to the table in an extra campaign mode. Tbh, I'm surprised they even through in the maps.
Halo should have stopped after 2.

Not sure why I would be offended.  I don't work for Bungie.

But I feel similar to you, just I have always enjoyed the Halo campaigns.  They always have an epic feel to them, and the game is overall very polished.  I don't expect artistic brilliance or ingenuity, but I expect a great deal of playability.  Halo3 for example, I wouldn't put it in my top 10 xbox360 games... but I've played it probably #1 overall, if that makes sense.  What I was really hoping for was a major tweak in the gameplay, something like dual wielding in halo2 vs. halo1.  Not a huge difference, but it very much changed how you played the game.  Nothing like that so far

This game so far does nothing much for me.  So far there is one new gun, and a new tactical vision (think night vision with added enemy indicators).  To be honest, I don't like either.  I'm going to play the campaign this weekend likely with my roommate, so let's hope it eventually gets good.  The only thing this seems to have improved over other halo games is the music.  The music was always good, but it's just great so far.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum

Hah, based off your pic and posts you sound like a fan and not a fanboy.  Good for you.

I'd had heard bungie say there will "be no halo 4" but I won't believe that until... well I won't believe it.  I'm not optimistic for reach based off what I have here.  I don't want an expansion pack, or at least I don't want it for full price.

I think its very much like Halo 3 only your a bit more fragile and have two new weapons.  I knew the multiplayer was the same going in (they just included all the Halo3 maps on a second disc).  Thats a good deal if your going to play multiplayer and never bought those maps before, otherwise meh.  I'm really looking forward to trying firefight as I really liked Horde in GoW2.  If your only interested in the single player, rent it.  But if you want co-op and are interested in the Reach beta, its worth it. 

In theory the stealth idea is cool, but there is no stealth factor built in.  IE grunts see me from great distances when I'm crouching in the dark.  So now I just feel more fragile, which isn't fun since one of the coolest parts in any Halo game is when you are having trouble in a tough situation... and just decide to charge in guns blazing and fight through it.  At least, it's cool when it works, which for me was often.  I don't expect that to work now.

I'm keeping my mind open.  Really I've only played 1.5 levels, so I'm judging early, but Bungie needs to be careful.  Halo 1-3 were all "big deal" games.  System makers.  Now Halo Wars and ODST are out and they seem pretty lackluster.  They might be dilluting their own product.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
It wasn't worth the money that's for sure.  $60 for a different campaign, fire fight, and 3 different maps.

I will say though I've wasted about 3-4 hours of my life playing the fire fight mode with some friends, and its pretty fun, though I'm sure after a few times of playing it will get old fast.  

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:43:18 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Halo 3 is garbage. Don't know why I bought ODST... That's garbage, too.

This isn't coming from a Halo hater, either. Halo: CE is still one of my favorite games, and I put a lot of time into Halo 2. It just seems that Halo 3 is marketed more towards the younger more casual crowd.

Not to meantion the people who play that game. I honestly feel bad for some of those kids on matchmaking. Now, I'm on the pro circuit for CoD4 but these kids are horrible at Halo 3 and you'd think they're pro by the way they talk. Kind of like they actually have something to lose if they lose a matchmade game.

I'm ranting now, but the point is Halo 3 is garbage and the community just makes it that much worse for me.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Couple weeks later, my impression is the same.

Bungie lost my trust.  I won't be picking up their next games.  You can't even trust the reviews since so many reviews seem to be halo fanboys.  Me and my roommate, who normally tank through co-op campaigns, can't find the interest to play this.