Author Topic: KG Update from Bill Simmons  (Read 16811 times)

KG Update from Bill Simmons
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »

Offline 2Cleva

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
From Bill Simmons on Twitter

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

As I kept warning everyone all summer, we still haven't heard that KG will be 100% again. Much less 75%. http://bit.ly/y6FGm

KG follow-up: Re-signing Big Baby after Sheed was the red flag. If KG was OK, they wouldn't have spent $29 mill more on PF's.

1 more KG note: This wasn't a typical knee injury. They had to re-attach tendons to his kneecap with staples. @injuryexpert will back me up.

Check @injuryexpert - 3 new posts on KG. Don't mean to be a party pooper but the local media's refusal to discuss this story is perplexing.

Last KG tweet: Check out my 4/09 column about the local media botching the KG story. This is the sequel. http://bit.ly/NKcxp

From @injuryexpert http://twitter.com/injuryexpert

Kevin Garnett's knee surgery may be getting the typical Boston treatment, but this was complex surgery. No 1, including Celts, know respond.

More on Garnett -- tough tendon, no comps, and for cripe's sake STAPLES. Doesn't that tell you, combined with last yr, that this is serious?

When you hear "Staples" in a basketball story and it's not "Staples Center", it's just not good.

Doesn't sound good about KG.

Re: KG Update from Bill Simmons
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
besides the fact that reading it is like deciphering a note from a 12 yr oldf....I'm worried.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
This isn't good, if true.. Let's hope it isn't.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wouldn't worry about it.  What is Simmons sharing here, other than his opinion?  I seems more like Simmons needs to be right in his previous opinion, rather than basing it on anything objective.

We all knew he was having problems with the tendon.  The surgery reattached and strengthened it.  I don't think there's a need to immediately react with gloom and doom.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
same old bill simmons no idea whats he's talking about especially the signing of PFs as some clue to the situation.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is this whole thing anything but specualatory?

There isn't anything here that hasn't been discussed in the past 6 months.  

No one knows the extent of KG's recovery.  I'm not relying on twitter updates from Bill Simmons as gospel.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:15:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Where's the update?

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
So how does something go from a bonespur to a torn ligament with staples in it overnight?

I'm gonna stick with the original diagnosis that it was indeed simply a bone spur that was removed until there is 100% proof that shows otherwise.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
He's right about one thing, why sign 3 power forwards to so much cash? I guess it's just insurance. Let's hope so.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
here's the post about KG's surgery

http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/5/26/887731/kg-has-surgery

Via the Celtics press release:

The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Kevin Garnett underwent successful right knee arthroscopy and removal of posterior knee bone spurs today at the New England Baptist Hospital. The surgery was performed by Team Physician Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Michael Belkin and Dr. John Richmond.

"After this successful surgery, Kevin can now begin to focus on rehabilitating his knee, returning to top physical shape and fully preparing for the 2009-10 season," Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge remarked.

Update: Scott Souza provides this clarification.  Please read:

It is important to note that this surgery was not intended to correct the problem that sidelined him for all but four games from the end of February to the playoffs. The tendon issue requires rest and rehab, while the bone spurs were - according to Rivers - a lingering issue from the start of the season that needed to be taken care of eventually.

they didn't touch the tendons, never mind staple them
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What I'm sick of is the mixed wording being used by the organization.  Who cares what Simmons "thinks"?  

From the Celtics themselves we hear "He will be ready" then "We hope he'll be ready".  Then it's "He's working out and looking good" followed by "he's not cleared for contact but we're hopeful he'll be cleared by the start of training camp".

What is to be gained by misleading the public?  Just tell us something straight for once so that we can move on with life.  If it is worse than originally thought, then say so.  If he's progressing a little behind schedule, then say so.  Aaaaaaah!

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He's right about one thing, why sign 3 power forwards to so much cash? I guess it's just insurance. Let's hope so.

Two of those power forwards double as centers.  I don't think there's anything wrong with signing four big men.  As for BBD, he's barely making more annually than Scal did.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:36:34 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

???
They have KG at PF, Perk at C.
Re-signed Baby to back-up KG, signed Sheed to back-up Perk.
Lost Powe
Took a flier on Sheldon Williams.
5 bigs

KG, Perk, Baby, Powe, O'Bryant/Moore
5 bigs (since O'Bryant and Moore weren't active at the same time).

KG, Perk, Baby, Powe, Pollard/PJ Brown
5 bigs (since Pollard and Brown weren't active at the same time).

It seems like having 5 bigs is pretty much the norm.  So this year they have 5 bigs, but now it's saying something different?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

That's just crappy rationalization. They went after the best people in the market with what we could offer. Sheed, Baby, and Williams can also fill in as centers when needed. We lost Powe and Mikki, so as far as big man depth goes, we're the same. The difference here is that we have more players capable of playing the 5 and an upgrade in talent due to the addition of Sheed.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
they didn't touch the tendons, never mind staple them
Exactly what I thought.  The tendon issue was one where natural recovery was required.  

IF this hasn't gone as quickly as planned, there's nothing wrong with saying his rehab needs a little longer.