Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #21  (Read 9929 times)

25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #21
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This is #21 in a series of threads to determine the 25 greatest Celtics of All-Time.

It´s the off-season, and we need something to talk about besides nonsensical trade-rumors.

So I thought we could make a big poll to decide once and for all who are the greatest Celtics of all-time. I´m sure it has been done many times before, and I know that it´s tricky to rate our legends, but I think there´s no better place for this than Celticsblog, and I haven´t seen such a poll here before.

Players to consider:

Bailey Howell
Don Nelson
Jim Loscutoff
Kendrick Perkins
Rajon Rondo
Antoine Walker
Paul Silas
Danny Ainge
Don Chaney
Charlie Scott
Ray Allen
Nate Archibald
M.L. Carr

Rules

1. Only former or current players are eligible.
No former coaches, GMs or owners. The Celtics´ history has just too many characters to include all of them.
You can´t vote for a player who has already won one of the earlier polls.

2. You can include off-the-court performances.
Although only former or current players are eligible, it is perfectly fine to include Tommy`s contributions as a coach and broadcaster, Danny Ainge`s work as a GM or Dave Cowens´ nap on a parkbench after celebrating with the fans in 1974 in your evaluation.

3. You have three votes
The first vote is worth 4 points, the second 2 points, and the third 1 point. This system is certainly more suited for a poll like this than a simple "one vote" poll.

Just write a post with your votes, and after the poll is closed, I will go through the thread and count every vote personally. I´ll close the poll in 2-4 days.

#1  Bill Russell
#2  Larry Bird
#3  John Havlicek
#4  Bob Cousy
#5  Kevin McHale
#6  Tommy Heinsohn
#7  Paul Pierce
#8  Dave Cowens
#9  Sam Jones
#10 Robert Parish
#11 Bill Sharman
#12 Dennis Johnson
#13 JoJo White
#14 Kevin Garnett
#15 Cedric Maxwell
#16 Reggie Lewis
#17 K.C. Jones
#18 Frank Ramsey
#19 Ed Macauley

Winner of the last poll:

Thomas Ernest "Satch" Sanders

He was born Tom Sanders and he grew up in an apartment on 116th Street between Fifth and Lenox, but everyone to this day knows him as Satch.

He got the nickname as a schoolboy, playing baseball on the creased concrete of Mount Morris Park in East Harlem. Everyone had a nickname, he remembers, great nicknames like “Jumpshot Billy” and “Bad Feet Earl California John.” They were boys spending countless summers in upper Manhattan playing games, and Sanders’ nickname happened to stick.

The name came from Satchel Paige, the great pitcher of the Negro Leagues, but it was basketball — and two friends who convinced him that he could do better than the vocational schools his junior high classmates were being shuffled into — that would take Satch from the rough corners of Harlem and into the hallowed rafters of the Boston Garden. Those friends from the neighborhood, Cecil and Crawford, told Satch he should go to their school, an academic school, Seward Park High in Lower Manhattan.

“You had a situation where they’re telling 500 kids to consider a trade school or vocational school,” says Satch. “I have tears for all the kids that never had the opportunity. Think about all those kids. I had Cecil and Crawford. They changed my life.”

Satch Sanders started 13 seasons in the NBA, all with Red Auerbach’s Celtics, winning eight titles, third-most in NBA history. He played with Bill Russell and Bob Cousy and John Havlicek. He averaged 9.6 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. The Celtics even retired his number No. 16 in 1973. But none of these achievements are his most-prized.

“Just making the team,” he says. “It was a championship team already. … There were an awful lot of people who didn’t think I could play at that level.”

Sanders was one of thousands of kids playing ball on courts like Mount Morris or at tournaments like The Rucker. Like slapping down cards from a deck, he rifles off the names of guys he played with that the rest of the world never knew, names like Carl Greene, Sherman White, Chink Gaines, Jack Defares and Bobby Thompson.

All, he says, could have played in the NBA.

It was New York City in the 50s and anyone looking to make their way in the game made their way to Harlem. “Competition was so intense,” says Satch. “That whole time there was so much talent.” There were Harlem Globetrotters and Eastern League players and Harlem Rens, he remembers, great players never blessed by time or opportunity. “Racism is a monster,” he says. “It steals your youth.”

But it was those players who passed the game on to Satch. It was those players who helped teach a boy how to be a man. Holding court at Mount Morris were Rens like Tarzan Cooper, Charlie Isles and Pop Gates, and a host of other old-time players, verbally and physically beating up kids like Satch, taking the time to help them learn the game.

Sanders was selected in the first round of the 1960 draft, just months after taking NYU to the Final Four. He graduated with a degree in marketing before making his way to the NBA, where he ran into racism in the form of unhelpful real estate agents at home — he eventually moved into the predominately black Roxbury section of Boston — and flying bottles, coins and racial epithets on the road.

“That was America,” says Satch.

He remembers the time fans came close to the court to shout unsavory slurs, prompting Satch to step into the stands and exchange barbs with one particularly rowdy spectator.

“I asked him what time his wife got home last night,” recalls Satch. “And then said it was awfully kind of him to share her.”

But mainly the antagonists just spurred Satch and the other black players on.

“We wanted to decimate the road team,” says Satch. “We were super motivated.”

After his playing days were over Sanders coached the Harvard Crimson for four seasons before returning to the NBA to lead the Celts. But his true calling was counseling young men through his basketball school or the NBA’s development program, helping young players cope with their newfound success and responsibilities.

He’s in his old neighborhood today, his first time back to 116th St. in longer than he can remember. He’s 71 now, and without his customary bow tie, pointing to buildings that stand now only in his memory. There’s the apartment he grew up in, right next door to the grade school he attended, P.S. 184. Today, it’s a basketball court, fenced off by a chain-link fence. For a time, a cardboard sign read “Boston Celtic Great Satch Sanders played here,” though he never played on this court. It, too, is gone.

He remembers the time he saw a drug dealer viciously beating a man on the sidewalk. Drugs were everywhere, he says. He lost five relatives to heroin. He remembers the time a friend took a knife to the throat of another kid who was brandishing a bat at the friend. And he’ll never forget the little girl down the block who was raped and murdered. She was eight, he thinks. “We had played together, though I was a little older,” he says. The thought of it still stings.

Around the corner on 117th St., the roughest of the rough back then, a street you didn’t enter easily, says Satch, a 71-year-old man who doesn’t look a day over 55 spots him.

“Hey Satch,” he calls out, “You got to remember me, it’s Jumpshot Billy!

“I’ve never been so proud of somebody in all my life,” says Jumpshot, before both men piece together 50-year-old stories in an instant.

“I can tell you everything that was on these corners.” says Jumpshot. “I never left here because I was in love with Harlem.”

But Satch moved on to eight rings in Boston and a home in Sturbridge, Mass., where he lives with his third wife, Virginia. He remembers Jumpshot Billy and the neighborhood as it once was and the names of those not as lucky as he was. And he remembers the two friends who gave him the push he desperately needed, the push he wished others had gotten.

“Not everyone from the neighborhood is a bad influence,” says Satch. “I’m living proof of that.”
Source: blackfivesblog

Final Outcome (points in parenthesis):
Total Votes: 19

Satch Sanders (36)
Paul Silas (31)
Danny Ainge (26)
Nate Archibald (25)
Ray Allen (10)
Antoine Walker (6)
Jim Loscutoff (4)
Don Nelson (2)
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #21
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas

Only the order is different:

Ainge
Silas
Archibald

(Tiny ranks behind the others because he only won one championship here.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas

Ainge
Silas
Archibald

You're right Roy -- A different order

Tiny
Silas
Ainge

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Satch! finally too many people don't know how good that man was
Tiny
Ainge
Silas

where is nellie  ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Silas
A. Walker
Archibald
Green 18!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Paul Silas
Don Nelson
Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas
Nate Archibald

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Ainge
Silas
Ray Allen ( hes the underrated player tight now. )

p.s. I consider toine too this time

If one of the 3 win this one
Toine is in my next 3 For sure.
sorry Tiny
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ainge
Silas
Tiny

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tiny
Ainge
Silas

Doing what I can when I can to keep Antoine Walker off this list.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:59:37 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Ainge
Nelson
Tiny

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
tiny
silas
chaney

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas

Ainge
Silas
Archibald

You're right Roy -- A different order

Tiny
Silas
Ainge

Yep.

Silas
Tiny
Ainge

Just need somebody to put up Ainge-Tiny-Silas and somebody with Silas-Ainge-Tiny to complete the trifecta box.
Go Celtics.