C - needs improvement in a number of areas
3 (5.4%)
D - not so good
2 (3.6%)
F - you've failed
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: October 04, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Author Topic: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)  (Read 38802 times)

Re: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
how bout a member vote to unlock locked threads (say 80% have to agree), sort of a check on mod power...

just thinking out loud

I am going to throw this out and say this will likely never happen.

If a poster posts something unpopular about the Celtics, one of it's players or staff members; we do not want to see such threads turn into "I vote we lock the thread" thread.   It would be much better to just debate the ideas (and not the poster).

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
how bout a member vote to unlock locked threads (say 80% have to agree), sort of a check on mod power...

just thinking out loud

On this, I'll vote a strong "no".  While we take member input into account, the staff can't allow its decisions to be dictated by popular vote.  Especially, of course, when some of the popular threads that get locked are because a majority of posters are ganging up on one or two.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This really sucks.  It sucks that people take more time to complain about threads being locked than contributing to the threads that are unlocked and making those threads more enjoyable for everybody here.  I just don't get it. 

My advice just suck it up and deal with whatever happens.  Nobody here is out to get anybody, we are all here as Celtics fans, and I think if you really have enough time to debate about why threads are locked, why certain topics arent allowed, or whatver it may be you may have to much time on your hands.  Because personally I am alot more interested in hearing people's opinions on threads that aren't locked, celtics or non celtics related than I am about hearing people complain. 

And I know I am always one of the big supporters of if you dont like it dont read it philosophy, but this is getting ridiculous. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
This really sucks.  It sucks that people take more time to complain about threads being locked than contributing to the threads that are unlocked and making those threads more enjoyable for everybody here.  I just don't get it. 

My advice just suck it up and deal with whatever happens.  Nobody here is out to get anybody, we are all here as Celtics fans, and I think if you really have enough time to debate about why threads are locked, why certain topics arent allowed, or whatver it may be you may have to much time on your hands.  Because personally I am alot more interested in hearing people's opinions on threads that aren't locked, celtics or non celtics related than I am about hearing people complain. 

And I know I am always one of the big supporters of if you dont like it dont read it philosophy, but this is getting ridiculous. 

consider this thread was put out there by the staff though, Jeff started the thread, so if honest feedback is shunned, what's the use in asking?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thats fine, but I can guarentee you that posting positively to threads is going to make this place much better than complaining here.  Posting ideas is fine and I am sure they are given consideration, but that is different than arguing. So instead of arguing, give your ideas and move on. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I go away for a few days and the whole blog falls apart.  If there's instability at celticsblog than my whole life feels unstable.

DL, Redz, I shouldn't get involved because I have nothing to do with it, but I think your small dispute is not worth getting all bent out of shape about.  You guys are both right in a sense.  People deserve a serious response to a serious criticism in a "give me your opinion about the blog" thread started by the CEO.  At the same time, I don't see a problem with humor being used in response to Eja's post.  I always support humor as a tool for bringing people together, especially on this blog.

You two are in the small group of my favorite posters on the site.  There's no need for a dispute between the two of you over this.  I think Redz has the right to pass over any criticism if he doesn't feel he wants to address it.  There are other mods who can reply.  And I do think that any serious criticism should be responded to.  I think there's room for what both of you want, humor and seriousness.  I respect both of you a great deal and feel bad that either of you guys feel so frustrated.

Anyhoo, I love this blog.  I generally never feel bullied and am comfortable with the way its managed.  That being said, I hardly ever "get into it" with anybody and as I said before, try to use a lot of humor in my posts.  I've visited plenty of other blogs and this one is so much better managed than most.  That being said, maybe that's not the best criteria for gauging the site.  I guess it shouldn't matter how other blogs do it, rather how well you guys do.  I gave a B, because if I gave an A, you wouldn't have anything more to strive for.   :P

Thanks for all you guys do, and if I think of anything to add, I will revisit this thread and post suggestions.

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think you're driving needs improvement. Here's some things to try to see if people will enjoy the site more.

1.) Become much more heavy handed. If someone disagrees with the consensus...lifetime ban. If someone hints at something anti- Celtic...lifetime ban. If someone has constructive criticism during game threads...lifetime ban. If someone uses profanity, even the stuff that's fake profanity or allowable profanity...lifetime ban. If someone even hints at being disagreeable... lifetime ban. I think you get the point!

2.) Allow Celtic and basketball talk only. If someone tries to bring in a non basketball subject...lifetime ban. if someone uses a non basketball analogy...lifetime ban. If you feel someone is even thinking about politics...lifetime ban. Red Sox..lifetime ban. Patri...lifetime ban. Bru...lifetime ban.

3.) Allow no feedback or criticisms or opinions that are not supported by Celticsblog or Jeff Clark. You suggest the Latest Forums Topics could be longer...lifetime ban. What about Facebook integration...lifetime ban. Get rid of the Fanshots...lifetime ban. Don't agree with Roy's decision to lock a subject...lifetime ban. Think Redz should joke around less...lifetime ban. Edgar should write better english...lifetime ban. Bring back the Babbler...lifetime ban.

4.) Everyone needs to pay for the right to be here. Time to start charging people to have the pleasure of Celticsblog. $10 per month on a renewable opt out basis or $99 a year should do it. Credit card maxes out...lifetime ban. Change banks and don't notify CB...lifetime ban. No credit card...too bad. Member since 1995 and don't want to pay...too bad. Can't afford it...too bad. This should be free...too bad.

I think if Celticsblog makes these changes, it will be driving straight and fast and get A's from everyone.

Or we could just leave it like it is and enjoy it's flaws and realize no one and nothing is perfect?

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I think you're driving needs improvement. Here's some things to try to see if people will enjoy the site more.

1.) Become much more heavy handed. If someone disagrees with the consensus...lifetime ban. If someone hints at something anti- Celtic...lifetime ban. If someone has constructive criticism during game threads...lifetime ban. If someone uses profanity, even the stuff that's fake profanity or allowable profanity...lifetime ban. If someone even hints at being disagreeable... lifetime ban. I think you get the point!

2.) Allow Celtic and basketball talk only. If someone tries to bring in a non basketball subject...lifetime ban. if someone uses a non basketball analogy...lifetime ban. If you feel someone is even thinking about politics...lifetime ban. Red Sox..lifetime ban. Patri...lifetime ban. Bru...lifetime ban.

3.) Allow no feedback or criticisms or opinions that are not supported by Celticsblog or Jeff Clark. You suggest the Latest Forums Topics could be longer...lifetime ban. What about Facebook integration...lifetime ban. Get rid of the Fanshots...lifetime ban. Don't agree with Roy's decision to lock a subject...lifetime ban. Think Redz should joke around less...lifetime ban. Edgar should write better english...lifetime ban. Bring back the Babbler...lifetime ban.

4.) Everyone needs to pay for the right to be here. Time to start charging people to have the pleasure of Celticsblog. $10 per month on a renewable opt out basis or $99 a year should do it. Credit card maxes out...lifetime ban. Change banks and don't notify CB...lifetime ban. No credit card...too bad. Member since 1995 and don't want to pay...too bad. Can't afford it...too bad. This should be free...too bad.

I think if Celticsblog makes these changes, it will be driving straight and fast and get A's from everyone.

sounds fun

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
nobody's right, nobody's wrong?

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
nobody's right, nobody's wrong?

Except Edgar.

Why else do we ask him so many questions?

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
To be frank, I think everybody tends to overreact since the "CB has lost its way" thread has been posted.

Personnally I really like the work done by the staff, I never had to complain about it and there are only a few problems here and there on the boards, which is quite usual for a community of this size.

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

Or we could just leave it like it is and enjoy it's flaws and realize no one and nothing is perfect?

No soup for you!!!!

First of, hat tip to Jeff.  As an artist, I know how hard it is to make the important leap of faith that is checking in with those you serve on the site and getting feedback. 

I'm giving it a B, and since this is a thread designed for constructive criticism on how to make the blog BETTER, not a comparison thread to every other crappy blog out there, these are my perfect world changes...

1. Perhaps mods, who carry a bigger stick around here than regular posters, should refrain from inserting themselves into threads about politics, etc.  Starting threads are great, because few here would have the cajones to start an "Israel" thread, but if Hobbsy (for example only) makes a comment in said thread, I certainly am not going to be the one to tear him a new one if I disagree.  All due respect to Redz's "we're all just people like you" philosophy, but it doesn't foster equitable discourse to have mods throwing their weight around in threads like that IMO.

2. I'm down with the idea of simplifying/paring down the forum subsections, or for providing a "search" function for threads that get lost in the haystack.  How many times have I been weeding through the forum sections trying to find a black cat in a dark room that wasn't there...

3. I don't know if it's possible, but an instant chat feature among users would be SWEEEEEEEET!

4. This one is prickly, because it's based largely on events that I and everyone else are scratching our collective heads about (all this drama has been occurring behind the scenes, we who aren't personally friends with the players involved with disputes can only guess what's going on), but in keeping with the goal of this blog to provide a resource that fosters the most well informed fans on earth, it is critical to the health of the blog that the staff here does whatever they can to retain the most well respected, high volume contributers here.  Don't let people cross the line, don't let people disrespect you personally, but in the name of customer service, I hope this blog can up it's game by trying to resolve users gripes without pulling some "if you don't like it take a hike" attitude.  I'm not speaking to one example in particular, but I have sensed that there is a shallow point at which the Blog staff adopt a "take it of leave it" approach to customer dissatisfaction.  If someone with 2K posts and a ton to contribute to the blog is dissatisfied, I'd like to think that their issues are treated with care and concern, and that they aren't treated like a nuisance.  You can't make everyone happy, and I'm not suggesting you kiss anyone's behind, but I think it's something to explore on the staff end.  User retention is a huge priority, and the cornerstone of any business model, you do a fantastic job but we could all look within ourselves to find way to be better.

5. Hire me to bring the graphic design on the front page to a new level  ;D

All the respect in the world to the staff here, who contribute their time and energy to making this place one my my daily internet pit stops, even during the doldrums of summer.  All the respect in the world to the bloggers here, those reading this and those who are no longer with us, for engaging my sorry butt about the team that I love...

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

A disclaimer...the above post was done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

just thinking out loud

I'm confused why there is such an issue with locked threads.  The reason 99% of threads are locked is because they have gotten completely out of hand, and in many cases have gone way off topic.  In many cases we actually recommend starting a new thread to discuss the new topics that have arisen.

In other cases, threads are locked because they either violate rules of the forums, or we, as a staff (meaning there are no unilateral decisions on whether threads should remain locked) decide the topic is not appropriate for some reason.

I really think people are taking it WAY too personally when threads are locked.  A locked thread has nothing to do with the original poster (well, except when they are locked because the topic is in direct violation of rules), they are locked because of what goes on in them.  In fact the biggest reason we try to keep threads on topic, and constantly post warnings to stay on topic is so that the original topic that the OP wanted to address is not lost. 

I really just would love to know a little more about why it bothers people so much that threads are locked.

edit: I completely missed the whole other thread about this...never mind
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:12:02 PM by Chris »

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

2. I'm down with the idea of simplifying/paring down the forum subsections, or for providing a "search" function for threads that get lost in the haystack.  How many times have I been weeding through the forum sections trying to find a black cat in a dark room that wasn't there...

Well there's a search function, but sadly it isn't that good.

Here's how I would change the organization of forums:

1) I would elimante the "International Zone" section altogether. "Global Basketball" can be simply be made a child forum of "Around the NBA". The section is rarely used and doesn't deserve to be a parent forum. No one uses "Foros en Espaņol", and I mean no one. It's quite useless. But people want to keep it regardless, then just move it to the "Other Discussions" section.

We elimanted a section that is very rarely used, but still clutters the main forum page.

2) Move "Entertainment" from being a child forum of "Off Topic", and make it a parent forum in the "Other Discussions" section. That forum gets a bit of used, and its potential is being highly hindered by being a child forum. While we're at it, the child forum "Other Entertainment" should be eliminated, it serves no purpose. Its thread should be moved to the main "Entertainment" portion. Also if needed be, you can easily combine "TV Shows" and "Movies" child forums into one, but I'm fine as they are.

The main problem with the "Entertainment" forum being a child of "Off Topic" is that "Entertainment" has many child forums itself and it makes browsing it a bit tedious.

3) I think everyone here can agree that the "Graphics Forum" and "Multimedia Forum" should be merged into one. Really, I don't see the point in keeping them separated, particularly since they don't have a lot of activity.

4) I don't undertand why "Celtics Hall of Fame" is a parent forum. I would make it a child forum of "Community".

5) "Using Celtics Blog" and "Comments & Remarks" should be merged into one. Both sections essentially serve the same purpose, and half the time I don't know in which of the two I should post or where to look for a thread of a certain topic.

I think with all these changes, the forum will look better and will function better. I think most would agree with me on this regard.

And as an aside, I know it has been mentioned quite a few times, but the "Latest Forum Topics" needs to be expanded to atleast 20 threads. That tool is too useful for everyone here to be left as it is.

Would appreciate some feedback on my feedback. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:41:16 PM by BudweiserCeltic »