Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #20  (Read 8223 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #20
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Satch
Silas
Tiny
Go Celtics.

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline Jay G

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
tiny

silas

ainge
One Love

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I honestly don't feel qualified to vote anymore as I haven't seen or know enough about the remaining players game.

I know what you mean, but that was already the case at #1. Iīve never seen Bill Russell play, but I still know that heīs #1. Tbh, the term "greatest Celtic" is already abstract, imo, and with him this whole list, as itīs completely subjective what makes a great Celtic, and it really only counts for Basketball fans. A Sumo-Wrestler in Japan is treated like a Half-God, he couldn`t care less about "Celtics Lore".

But thatīs the point. Since "Celtics Lore" is totally subjective, we all come together to make this more objective. We all picked up storys about the Russell or Cowens-teams, even if we never saw them play, may it be through books, or a family member who was at the finals game in 59, or whatever...

For Celticsbloggers, itīs important wether Sam Jones is a top ten Celtic or not. We are the people who give meaning to the term "Celtics Lore", so in the end, Celtics fans of today are the only ones who can decide about the "greatest Celtics", and itīs almost secondary wether you actually saw the Russell-teams play or not.

Btw, I chose the voting system with the three votes so that noone has to settle for a certain player, because at this point in the poll, itīs impossible to pick one player over another, so your vote is more of a rough direction than a definite decision. In the end, I think it really doesnīt matter wether Ed Macauley is #12 or #19, the fact that the diehards on Celticsblog voted him into the top 25 speaks for itself.
Even if he never wouldīve made the list, Iīm pretty sure it wouldnīt bother him after all these years.  ;)

Just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:38:45 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ainge
Silas
Sanders

Danny was a starter on two championship teams, and was responsible for constructing title #17.  For "overall contributions", I think he's got to rank fairly highly.
agreed and I think the young guys should know that tiny archibald was incredibly important to the C's when with the team, a GREAT point guard and satch was a lock down defender who we could use now!

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

Offline Lou Tsioropoulos

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Satch
Ainge
Nelson

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Satch Sanders
Nate Archibald
Danny Ainge

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd like to make the case for Ray here over a couple of other favorites (Danny, Tiny, Silas, Sanders)

Obviously I'm not old enough to have seen any of these guys other than Ray, really.. But I have seen tons of old games thanks to the magic of DVD's and modern media technology, as well as stats. Stats aren't east to translate over the different eras and generations in the NBA or sports in general but that never stops anyone from trying, and I'll try keep it basic.

Has Ray been here an awful long time? No, working on three years but he's certainly done enough in my eyes to warrant a spot either here or the next one. Let's break it down like this, shall we?

All star games:
Archibal - three
Ray Allen - two (out of two seasons here, mind you)
Ainge - one
Silas - one
Sanders - none

Rings:
Sanders - 8
Ainge - 2
Silas - 2
Tiny - 1
Ray - 1

Aribald, Silas and Sanders made an all-NBA team or defensive team at least one, Ray has yet to do so, Danny never did.

Ray is 6th for the Celtics all-time in three pointers made (In two seasons he cracked the top-ten) while shooting them at a scary efficent 40.3% which is third all time in Boston C's history. First all time in free throw percentage. Also second in offensive rating, however much stock you want to put into that.

Not to meantion, it's likely that if Paul didn't score 38 points in Game Five of the Finals that Ray would have been Boston's first Finals MVP since Larry Bird.

So in conclusion, does Ray have the end all of end all numbers with the Celtics ever? No, but what he's managed to accomplish in such a short amount of time here is truely remarkable to me and it would be a tragedy to not see Ray on the list within a spot or two.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 08:00:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I'd like to make the case for Ray here over a couple of other favorites (Danny, Tiny, Silas, Sanders)

Obviously I'm not old enough to have seen any of these guys other than Ray, really.. But I have seen tons of old games thanks to the magic of DVD's and modern media technology, as well as stats. Stats aren't east to translate over the different eras and generations in the NBA or sports in general but that never stops anyone from trying, and I'll try keep it basic.

Has Ray been here an awful long time? No, working on three years but he's certainly done enough in my eyes to warrant a spot either here or the next one. Let's break it down like this, shall we?

All star games:
Archibal - three
Ainge - one
Silas - one
Sanders - none

Rings:
Sanders - 8
Ainge - 2
Silas - 2
Tiny - 1
Ray - 1

Aribald, Silas and Sanders made an all-NBA team or defensive team at least one, Ray has yet to do so, Danny never did.

Ray is 6th for the Celtics all-time in three pointers made (In two seasons he cracked the top-ten) while shooting them at a scary efficent 40.3% which is third all time in Boston C's history. First all time in free throw percentage. Also second in offensive rating, however much stock you want to put into that.

Not to meantion, it's likely that if Paul didn't score 38 points in Game Five of the Finals that Ray would have been Boston's first Finals MVP since Larry Bird.

So in conclusion, does Ray have the end all of end all numbers with the Celtics ever? No, but what he's managed to accomplish in such a short amount of time here is truely remarkable to me and it would be a tragedy to not see Ray on the list within a spot or two.

nice analysis again
man ure in a row for Edgars tp love today.

Congrats on 200
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
haha thanks again, Edgar. I've been trying to get to 200 TP's all day.

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

It will be sad when we reach 25.  We should just keep going until we've ranked every Celtic ever.

Yeah I'd love to see these go until 50.  I'd be very interested to see where Maravich, Dominique and McAdoo rank, if at all...
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Danny Ainge
Paul Silas
Ray Allen

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Luscy
Walker
Silas

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

All star games:
Archibal - three
Ainge - one
Silas - one
Sanders - none

Rings:
Sanders - 8
Ainge - 2
Silas - 2
Tiny - 1
Ray - 1

Don't take this personally, but those numbers don't mean a lot.

Allstars is a popularity contest.  Championships mean a lot but particularly the role played in getting them. 

Here's my thought on Ray versus Tiny at this point (Tiny being my #1 at this time).
Tiny went down in the 83 playoffs and a Celtics team with Bird, Max, Parish and Mchale were swept by Moncrief's Bucks.  A very good team, but inferior to the C's at full strength.  If any series in Bird's first 4 years showed how critical Tiny was to Bird's early teams, it was that one.

Now take Ray.  Substitute him for KG on the injured list and the C's most likely get by both of those teams.  Chi probably wouldn't have gone to 7 games with all the overtimes and C's take out Orlando sooner. 

Based on the criticality of each of them to their respective teams, I have to give the nod to Tiny (as well as the other 2 players on my list at this time, Silas and Sanders).

Now if Ray has another 2 good years with the C's at his current level of play and another title, I'd put him higher on the list.

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Paul Silas
Satch Sanders
Danny Ainge

Poll closed.

8)
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.