Author Topic: Eurobasket 2009  (Read 29994 times)

Eurobasket 2009
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/default.asp

Eurobasket starts next monday in Poland and I thought it would be fun to watch and follow for everybody.

Needless to say, you can watch some notable NBA players in the tournament like:

Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, Mickael Pietrus, Pau and Marc Gasol, Rudy Fernandez, Marcin Gortat, Mehmet Okur, Turkoglu, Kirilenko...

as well as many other stars!!

Who will win?

I hope it will be Spain  ;D

Re: Eurobasket 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I will follow the French National Team but I don't have much hope for their success since they are really inconsistent... they just qualified for the Euro, and their performances in the qualification Finals were quite illustrative of their recurrent flaw : they got beat by the Belgium team by 4 points in the first game and then they blew them out and won the second game (in France) by more than 30 points...

Anyway the competition will be pretty "open" since many teams are lacking their star player(s) (see Germany without Nowitzki, Russia probably without Kirilenko...).

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:29:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I can`t see how Spain won`t win the tournament.

I haven`t seen all the teams (including Spain) so maybe i`m wrong but i think we have a very clear favourite

The Greek team is in a rebuild mode. Diamantidis - Papaloukas - Tsartsari - Vasilopoulos are all off.  They have some injuries and some need rest. Hopefully will be back next summer.

There are two serious problems

1)Without Papaloukas and Diamantidis we have a problem at the point. Spanoulis is not a real pg and Kalathis struggles to fit in the european bball. He is good but needs time. But so far the team averages 15 turnovers....

2)Another issue is with the SF position. There is only one real SF Perperoglou and Kazlauskas has no chance but to use PFs like Printezis.

On the positive side we have a strong frontline with Bourousis, Sofo, Printezis , Gliniadakis, Koufos ,Fotsis, Kaimakoglou.

My prediction is somewhere between 3 and 5

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
I didn't know about Kirilenko...but they still have a solid team, same as Lithuania, Greece, France and even the hosts Poland with Gortat and some nice players.

But to me, and on paper...Spain has the strongest and more battle tested squad. The core group has been together for years and have been successful internationally.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Spain will miss Calderón and Carlos Jiménez but still they are the clear favourites. To me seems that Greece will be competitive even without Papaloukas and Diamantidis. Lithuania can be also a solid team but they are missing some good players on the wings.

France and Slovenia can be also fun to watch.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I watched Lithuania in the Acropolis tournament and they were better than i expected. They play they usual style, very entertaining to watch but also serious when needed...

Unlike Slovenia and France. Both have good (or very good rosters) but rarely (if ever) manage to produce as expected due to immature play. Remember the game game France - Greece 4 years ago in Belgrade?

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have been watching the FIBA Americas Tournament.  Right now it's the quarter-finals group play and Brazil (my team who has Barbosa and Varejao) and Puerto Rico (with Carlos Arroyo) has qualified for the World Basketball Tournament in Turkey.  Both teams are undefeated.

Meanwhile, Argentina (with Scola as the only star) started really slow, losing to Venezuela (yikes!) and Brazil (which I enjoyed very much).  They have picked up and now are in 3rd place in the ranking.  Dominican Republic, who has Charlie V., Francisco Garcia, and Al Horford are in 4th place.  They came into the tourney thinking they'd be the champions because they have 3 NBA players, but quick losses brought them back to earth.  Uruguay, with Estaban Batista (remember him?) is in 5th place, right behind DR.

The 4 best teams qualify for the World (PR and Brazil qualified, so two more spots).  They also get to play on a semifinal and then final to determine the champions.  The most likely foursome to be Brazil, PR, DR and Argentina.  Hopefully Brazil will have another chance to beat Argentina again.  Last time that happened, during group play, Argentina got all angry and threw chairs in the locker room.

PS. I am Brazilian.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
I watched Lithuania in the Acropolis tournament and they were better than i expected. They play they usual style, very entertaining to watch but also serious when needed...

Unlike Slovenia and France. Both have good (or very good rosters) but rarely (if ever) manage to produce as expected due to immature play. Remember the game game France - Greece 4 years ago in Belgrade?

I agree with you with Slovenia and France underachieving very often, the same for Croatia, I would say. But I have the feeling that France can get a medal this time.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47

Im a Kings fan, so I have been keeping tabs on how Garcia is doing for the DR, and I could be wrong but I thought I read that Horford and CharlieV arent playing, which has something to do with how the DR are playing. Still, Im rooting for them or Greece.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:47:50 PM by Tw1x990 »

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Im a Kings fan, so I have been keeping tabs on how Garcia is doing for the DR, and I could be wrong but I thought I read that Horford and CharlieV arent playing, which has something to do with how the DR are playing. Still, Im rooting for them or Greece.

All three of them are playing, and Garcia was the highest scorer of the tourney for a little while.  I am hoping to see them in the tournament.  It's either Dominican Republic or Uruguay, with Esteban Batista.  I think a DR team is more interesting.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 03:15:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I`ve got to ask ..... Isn`t this a little off topic?

??? ??? :D ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 04:00:20 AM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'll root for my country (Bulgaria), but if we talk serious and realistic, we don't have a chance to get out of the groups. We're in group with Lithuania, Turkey and the host Poland. Maybe we have some chances against Poland, but I see Gortat with 20/20 that night, our team don't have good centers now. Every team with decent center blow us out. We played a few good friendly games last mont, 2 wins over Belgium, 2 wins over Portugal, 1 win over Cyprus, 1/1 against Russia (without Kirilenko of course), so I have my hopes for at least one win there, maybe over Poland, but we'll see

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I know it was just a friendly game but ...

Lithuania-Spain 94-72 !!!

Spain`s first friendly defeat in 4 years !

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
I know it was just a friendly game but ...

Lithuania-Spain 94-72 !!!

Spain`s first friendly defeat in 4 years !

They had to lose one right before the tournament to remember how NOT to play in Poland ;)