Author Topic: Can Anybody name a better draft than 2003?  (Read 19176 times)

Re: Can Anybody name a better draft than 2003?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
So, who's going to do it for 2000?

C: Joel Przybilla
PF: Kenyon Martin
SF: Michael Redd
SG: Mike Miller
PG: Keyon Dooling

Bench:
Jamal Crawford
Jamaal Magliore
Stro Swift
Mo Pete
Speedy Claxton
Des Mason
Q-Rich

That's what...  a 20 win team, tops?

That's a way less terrible team than I thought it would be. I mean its terrible, but not as bad as I thought.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Bench:
Jamal Crawford
Jamaal Magliore
Stro Swift
Mo Pete
Speedy Claxton
Des Mason
Q-Rich

That's a way less terrible team than I thought it would be. I mean its terrible, but not as bad as I thought.

You can do alot worse than two of the best shooters in the league right now and two good defensive bigs. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
2001:

PG: Tony Parker/ Gilbert
SG: Joe Johnson/ Jason Richardson
SF: Shane Battier/ Richard Jefferson/ Gerald Wallace
PF: Pau Gasol/ Troy murphy
C: Tyson Chandler/ Okur/ Brendan Haywood

That is actually a really good team.

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nick I concede that team may be better but again look at the pure depth of players still playing in the NBA from that 2003 draft. Could be a testament to lack of talent in the NBA or just that draft was that good

And Also guys like Lebron, melo, Wade are still getting better, I think williams Bosh and Kaman kinda, "are what they are" at this point though
Yeah but you have guys in that list for 2003 that are in every draft. I admit it's deep but you have a lot of very mediocre talent there as well and every draft has a bunch of mediocre talent. Not as much, but a lot. You have a lot of guys listed there that are pretty not so good.

Melo
Sweetney
Jones
Collison
Walton
Bonner
Bogans

You say they are still in the league but if this is 1985 and there are 60 less jobs in the league, how many of those guys are no longer in the league and how many are not getting the playing time they do on bad teams that make them look better than they were.

Early 80's teams had 2-3 near All-Star level quality talent on every team and the 3-4 great teams had 3-4 Hall of Fame talents on their teams. You can't even come close to saying that now.

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

C: Hakeen Olajuwon
PF: Charles Barkley
SF: Jerome Kersey
SG: Michael Jordan
PG: John Stockton

Bench:
Alvin Robertson
Otis Thorpe
Kevin Willis
Michael Cage
Jay Humphries
Tony Campbell
Leon Wood

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Bench:
Jamal Crawford
Jamaal Magliore
Stro Swift
Mo Pete
Speedy Claxton
Des Mason
Q-Rich

You can do alot worse than two of the best shooters in the league right now and two good defensive bigs. 

Three total All-Star appearances by all players in that draft.  Going through the draft, there were more servicable players than I expected there might be, but it's almost all guys that you want on your bench except for Redd and MAYBE Kenyon Martin (who's still overrated from playing with Kidd).

Would have really sucked if you needed a PG that year.

Still say that's a 20-win team (25-wins at most, you need stars, not backups) and they'd lose to 2003 by at least forty points (everyone playing balls-out).  

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
2001:

PG: Tony Parker/ Gilbert
SG: Joe Johnson/ Jason Richardson
SF: Shane Battier/ Richard Jefferson/ Gerald Wallace
PF: Pau Gasol/ Troy murphy
C: Tyson Chandler/ Okur/ Brendan Haywood

That is actually a really good team.

That just makes remembering that draft all the more depressing...  :(

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Nick I concede that team may be better but again look at the pure depth of players still playing in the NBA from that 2003 draft. Could be a testament to lack of talent in the NBA or just that draft was that good

And Also guys like Lebron, melo, Wade are still getting better, I think williams Bosh and Kaman kinda, "are what they are" at this point though
Yeah but you have guys in that list for 2003 that are in every draft. I admit it's deep but you have a lot of very mediocre talent there as well and every draft has a bunch of mediocre talent. Not as much, but a lot. You have a lot of guys listed there that are pretty not so good.

Melo

22ppg 3 assts 6 boards and 1 stl a game is "pretty not so good"?

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Melo
Sweetney
Jones
Collison
Walton
Bonner
Bogans

You say they are still in the league but if this is 1985 and there are 60 less jobs in the league, how many of those guys are no longer in the league and how many are not getting the playing time they do on bad teams that make them look better than they were.

Early 80's teams had 2-3 near All-Star level quality talent on every team and the 3-4 great teams had 3-4 Hall of Fame talents on their teams. You can't even come close to saying that now.

I agree thats why I had mentioned im not sure if its more a product of the how good the draft was or the talent level in the NBA ;D
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I dont know why but I just decided to check this out, but the list of names coming out of the 2003 draft is really pretty exceptional.  Can anybody think of a draft class better than this one?

Lebron
DWade
Darko
Melo
Bosh
Kaman
Hinrich
TJ Ford
Sweetney
Pietrus
Jarvis Hayes
Nick Collison
Luke Ridnour
David West
Dahntay Jones
Borris Diaw
Carlos Delfino
Perk
Travis Outlaw
Barbosa
Josh Howard
Jason Kapono
Luke Walton
Steve Blake
Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Mo Williams
James Jones
Kyle Korver

This draft has premiere talent as well as a huge ammount of role players.  It pretty crazy when you look at that whole list.  Notice Mo Williams at the 47th pick

I don't know, I think you're listing a lot of crap.  I mean James Jones? Keith Bogans? Jarvis Hayes? I really think these guys are lucky to be in the NBA right now.  Michael Sweetney?  Dudes not even in the league anymore.

Is Mo' Willimas at 47 that impressive, when Gilbert Arenas (31), Will Solomon (33), Brian Scalabrine (35), and Mehmet Okur (38) were all drafted late in 2001? Or Boozer (34) and Scola (55) 2002?  (Obviously only half serious about 2001)

I believe the general consensus in the basketball world is '84, '96, and '03 were 3 of the best drafts ever (here in no particular order), I just don't like part of your argument for '03 (alot of scrub bench guys are still in the league so it's a good draft).  But definitely 2003 was a nasty draft.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Red drafted 3 HOFers in one draft, so maybe that one was pretty good

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
BDM, Ya they arent great players, but they are by current standards NBA quality players.  Ive seen people posting today that they would want Keith Bogans on the celtics.  Granted Sweetney was a bit of a joke.  But I dont think they are,"Lucky," to be in the NBA.  there are reasons why all of them are in there, and when you look at recent drafts I doubt you can find 8 guys from one second round draft that are rotation players on teams. 

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
And I mean James Jones has averaged 7 points a game in 20 minutes for his career, thats not crap.  Thats a solid contributer off the bench. 

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
1. 2003
2. 1984
3. 1996

In a couple of years, the 2008 draft class will be very much in the conversation...

-Derrick Rose (HOF)
-OJ Mayo (HOF)
-Michael Beasley (if he can get his act together he'll probably be right there too.)
-Russell Westbrook (Future All Star)
-Kevin Love (possible future all star)
-Brook Lopez (will be one of the best centers in the league in a couple of years)
-Eric Gordon (will probably be an all star)
-Jason Thompson (All star potential)
-Anthony Randolph (All star potential)
-Courtney Lee (already a major role player)

-Some very good 2nd rounders as well... Mario Chalmers, DeAndre Jordan, LR Mbah a Moute, Kyle Weaver, CDR, and Billy Walker.

-and players who still have crazy upside like Gallinari, Bayless, Augustin, Speights, and Hill. The only bust in the whole draft was Joe Alexander.

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The thing is that it's only been 6 years, what happens if some of these careers die out and they turn into nothings.

I think the 1996 draft is comparable.

PG: Nash, Iverson, Marbury, Fisher
SG: Kobe, Ray Allen, Kittles 
SF: Antoine, Peja
PF: Shareef, J O'Neal
 C: Ben Wallace (undrafted), Marcus Camby, Zylgauskus, Erik Dampier

I mean come on... look at that PG class, look at that group of big men!

and if you look at some of 96's stats 6 years into their careers, there are some guys you would include that you wouldn't now.