Author Topic: Scott Kazmir Traded  (Read 8740 times)

Scott Kazmir Traded
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

Re: Scott Kazmir Traded
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:12:20 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yeah, why didn't  we make a move here? I like Kazmir. Maybe they didn't want to trade him in the division!!! I am sure that is what it is, Theo must have made an offer!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Hey nice picture by the way!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:49 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 can anyone explain how guys get traded after the trade deadline in baseball? it seems like they have to be waived first, but if their waived then can't any team claim them. i've never figured this out.

and yeah, this doesn't seem good for the sox, although i'm surprised the rays wanted to trade him. i guess it was a money thing?

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
can anyone explain how guys get traded after the trade deadline in baseball? it seems like they have to be waived first, but if their waived then can't any team claim them. i've never figured this out.

and yeah, this doesn't seem good for the sox, although i'm surprised the rays wanted to trade him. i guess it was a money thing?

this is from another website but it explains it better than I can

"Any player can be put on waivers by his team, and the player does not need to be informed.

Other teams have the chance to make a claim on the player during a 47 hour window.

If the player is claimed, the team that placed him on waivers has the option of pulling him back.  If the team pulls him back they can't trade him for 30 days.

If his team decides not to pull him back:

Option 1:  His team can work out a trade with the team that claimed him.  Any player involved in the trade who is on a 40 man roster must go through waivers first.

Option 2:  His team can just dump him and his salary on the team that claimed him, getting no player in return.

Option 3:  No one claims him, and his team is free to trade him to any team.

If more than one team places a claim on a player, the winning claim is awarded based on worst record or the league the claiming team is in.   "

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/08/waiver_trade_ru.html
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:28:16 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/08/report-harden-heilman-claimed-on-waivers.html

Report: Harden, Heilman claimed on waivers

By Paul Sullivan

Foxsports.com is reporting that Rich Harden and Aaron Heilman have been been claimed on waivers, perhaps signaling the start of the purge. The Cubs will have until Monday to work out a trade, let the claims go through or pull them back. Harden makes $7 million, and Heilman earns $1.65 million. The Cubs are unlikely to meet Harden's demands this off-season, and Heilman is not considered a big part of their future.

I would love for that to be the Sox who claimed Harden off waivers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:39:24 AM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
first, the sox didnt put in a claim on Kazmir.  Had they, they would have won the claim by virtue of having a worse record than the angels. 

I would assume they didnt based on the 20+ million owed to kaz over the next two years coupled with his injury history.  nevertheless, they should have put in a claim just to block the angels (or any other potential playoff matchup).  Had they won the claim, it is doubtful Tampa would have traded him within the division.

As for Harden, he was claimed by the twins

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Most teams are dumb to trade these guys now.  Their value would have been so much higher at the deadline.
do it

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Most teams are dumb to trade these guys now.  Their value would have been so much higher at the deadline.

except Kazmir's wasnt...since he had been pitching like crap.  he has been good lately.

The Rays shouldnt have traded him till the offseason because it essentially waves the flag when they are only like 3.5 games out of the wild card. 

that being said, another injury for him and his value would have really been low in the offseason so who knows.  unfortunately for the rays, despite their success last year, they have only seen attendance rise by about 2000, so probably not enough for them since they raised their payroll by almost 20 million

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
first, the sox didnt put in a claim on Kazmir.  Had they, they would have won the claim by virtue of having a worse record than the angels. 

I would assume they didnt based on the 20+ million owed to kaz over the next two years coupled with his injury history.  nevertheless, they should have put in a claim just to block the angels (or any other potential playoff matchup).  Had they won the claim, it is doubtful Tampa would have traded him within the division.

As for Harden, he was claimed by the twins

Harden was claimed by the Twins... Dang!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
I hate this deal for baseball.

The Rays are still in contention for the playoffs, and playing well - plus Kazmir has shown signs of life lately too.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The Rays are still in contention for the playoffs, and playing well - plus Kazmir has shown signs of life lately too.
That's life for small market teams. You have to do stupid things to shed payroll.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

That's life for small market teams. You have to do stupid things to shed payroll.

Yeh but, when you're in it still?

Look at what Milwaukee did last year when they saw they had a shot.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I guess they've decided that giving of their young arms his slot in the rotation is worth the salary dump plus prospects.

I don't like not going for it all this season in a way. But nothing wrong with an organization looking at the next two years. I wish the Cubs would have done that more often  ::).

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I guess they've decided that giving of their young arms his slot in the rotation is worth the salary dump plus prospects.

I don't like not going for it all this season in a way. But nothing wrong with an organization looking at the next two years. I wish the Cubs would have done that more often  ::).

lets all not forget, Kaz is only 25.  he isnt exactly an aging player.  IF, (big if) he stays healthy, he has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in baseball (25 year old, left handed pitchers, who throw as hard as he does, and with the success he has had in the best devision).