Author Topic: If you had ten years of your life back with the knowledge you have right now...  (Read 25411 times)

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Ha.. I'd only be 8 years old. I'd still change a lot, though. I would have played basketball a lot more seriously at that point. Or hockey. I grew up within 10 minutes of the University of Maine when they were winning NCAA championships for hockey. I played a lot when I was younger, and had amazing natural talent for the game, at least that's what my old coaches used to say.

Then I would stay in school, it's not like I wasn't smart or anything. I'm actually the only person to leave high school with highest honors in this area.

Stupid, I know. Of course that choice revolved around a girl. I don't know, I'd just take everything more seriously like I tend to do now a days.

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Dude....you guys...ahhh....

have some serious regrets.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Dude....you guys...ahhh....

have some serious regrets.

You have lived a remarkable life if you don't have any....I'll give you a tp

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The premise here is that I've learned something of value in the last ten years that if applied -- were I transported back in time -- I could better my life. My only thoughts on the matter are about my children.

My girls have grown from 9 and 4 to 19 and 14 in the last ten years and I hope that I've learned something about parenting in that time.  I am sadly certain that I'd make many of the same mistakes despite the passing years. I try every day, but still miss the mark too often for my own comfort.  

I know that I am not the most gifted parent, but from the birth of my older daughter I committed to be home by 5 every day, home on the weekends, to be sober (always) and gentle (firm when necessary, but never violent) and respectful of them (which I try to do, but fail sometimes).  I do these things, but wish I did them better. Nothing else matters, not money or status or career or material possessions.  If I had ten years back, I'd try to be a better parent.

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
The premise here is that I've learned something of value in the last ten years that if applied -- were I transported back in time -- I could better my life. My only thoughts on the matter are about my children.

My girls have grown from 9 and 4 to 19 and 14 in the last ten years and I hope that I've learned something about parenting in that time.  I am sadly certain that I'd make many of the same mistakes despite the passing years. I try every day, but still miss the mark too often for my own comfort.  

I know that I am not the most gifted parent, but from the birth of my older daughter I committed to be home by 5 every day, home on the weekends, to be sober (always) and gentle (firm when necessary, but never violent) and respectful of them (which I try to do, but fail sometimes).  I do these things, but wish I did them better. Nothing else matters, not money or status or career or material possessions.  If I had ten years back, I'd try to be a better parent.

tp.

there is still plenty of time to improve these things.  ur love for them is apparent. 

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I would have spent more of my time posting on CelticsBlog of course.  ;D

Kiorrik

I would have spent more of my time posting on CelticsBlog of course.  ;D

If you knew then what you know now, you could have actually done more of this: http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh

Kiorrik

Awful topic btw, I could mention so, so many things.

*NORMALLY*, this "topic" would be different: you wouldn't have the knowledge you'd have now. So, in effect, I for one would do everything exactly the same, because what I did made me into what I am now.

Maybe, if I had the info I have now, I would still do exactly the same, because I'm quite satisfied with my life, though I could have been playing basketball at a higher level... I guess everything I would have done, I would have done again, but way more time-efficient. That would have created time, I could have done *more* things instead of different things, make different choices.

Maybe I would've toned down a bit in class, spent even more time drawing, spent whole boatloads of time writing (for I really feel I missed a chance there) or maybe I would have been helping/getting to know people a bit better.

It'd be like Groundhog Day (the movie) in a way. You'd live your entire life all over again. Sounds awesome, even though I don't exactly remember my situation 10 years ago as a happy time :p

Kiorrik

Actually, I know one thing I would have done differently. Slightly long story.

My parents used to have some friends who had two kids. One was a girl of about my age, the other was a boy with down syndrome. The latter one always got way more attention than she did, in a really, really awkward kind of way, but with the best of intentions.

Back then, my dad had his own kitchen company, where  their dad worked as well. At some point, their dad became depressed and got a burnout. After some hassle over a company car, the friendship just watered down and ended. I was 16 at that point, it's about 12 years ago now.

I'm talking about two families that used to go on vacation together, that visited eachother weekly for over 30 years. I grew up with that girl, and when I was still too young to understand what it meant, I always thought I would grow up to marry the girl. That's how close we were before the rough split.

I didn't speak to her for years, only to meet up with her (found her through the internet on some profile page) about a year ago. We talked about those times, the good and the bad, and how things had went bananas. It was very awkward because obviously both sides had suffered "damage" from the breakup. It was then though, that I learned how bad she had suffered.

Her dad had slipped further and further into depression, until at some point, she had come home to find her father in the kitchen, having taken a knife to his wrist.

He lives, but obviously, that must've been a truely horrible event to experience.

So, if I would know then what I knew now, I'd have done a lot of things to fix all of this, and at the very least, I'd have been there for her.

This is the first time I talk about this. My parents don't even know this. Heh.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Women:
What I know now would have made dealing with them 100% easier back then. I wouldn't over think things too much like I did. I also would have been bolder.

On the not so shallow side:
I would have taken a different career path and had started a family sooner. i regret not joining the military, I wish I would have put in a few years for the experience.

Also I wish I had worked on my game more so I could have been the first white Spud Webb :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i would bought stock in old english malt...

Kiorrik

i would bought stock in old english malt...

and in google!

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Id go see Rick Pitino, explain that I'm from the future, and convince him to keep JJ and Chauncey.

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Thread definitely got my brain working...

I would be 14. I would not have gone to catholic school. Also, I was in school a year early so I was basically playing all high school sports as a 17 year old senior and I was underdeveloped. (LB @ 145 lbs in a big division was taxing on the body) I would try to convince my parents to let me stay back or stay out of school for a year so that the ages matched up better. This would've also allowed me to play varsity sports with my brother more.

Another thing: some of the people in my HS clique have died because of drug use. I saw them going down the drug path and I chose to stop hanging out with them. I wish I had convinced them somehow to stop doing drugs.

Having early regrets about moving to NYC. All my good friends are in beantown.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Women:
What I know now would have made dealing with them 100% easier back then. I wouldn't over think things too much like I did. I also would have been bolder.

On the not so shallow side:
I would have taken a different career path and had started a family sooner. i regret not joining the military, I wish I would have put in a few years for the experience.

Also I wish I had worked on my game more so I could have been the first white Spud Webb :P

I wish I could have just last night back with respect to women. Lol talk about blowing it on a date! Least I still have celticsblog.