Author Topic: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better  (Read 28949 times)

Re: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I base my criteria in:

If you dont have anything good to say about a person...hey...dont say anything.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Riddle me this CBers:

Do you come to the site every day thinking A) "What can I learn about the Celtics today?" or do you get onto the site thinking B)"What can I do to collect more TPs today?"? If your answer is B, then I think there's a problem. Even if your answer is A and B, I think there's a problem. Incentives are very very tricky things - they may be motivated by the best intentions in the world, but often have unintended (negative) consequences.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I disagree, why take away a system meant to reward people for being insightful?

Because it hurts the community at large.  The TP love fests cause the cliques and pageantry that people are pointing at as causing issues on the site.  The behavior it's been causing is juvenile.

People may not agree, which is fine.  But consider this - how is a karma system community building when 1) there is not negative karma to bring people back to Earth and 2) people who invest a lot of time/energy/thought writing their thoughts, which may not be "popular", do not receive this "reward" for their contribution?  

I just don't think it's healthy for building a "community" - if that's the end game.

Just one man's opinion.
Make that two men's opinions.

As a guy who has enjoyed giving, receiving and tracking TPs as much as anyone on this blog, I can totally see where you're coming from. 

Then again, I don't take them seriously. 

Then again, I don't take much seriously, I suppose.

But yeh, I do see that TPs have perpetuated some weird behavior.

Yup

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Riddle me this CBers:

Do you come to the site every day thinking A) "What can I learn about the Celtics today?" or do you get onto the site thinking B)"What can I do to collect more TPs today?"? If your answer is B, then I think there's a problem. Even if your answer is A and B, I think there's a problem. Incentives are very very tricky things - they may be motivated by the best intentions in the world, but often have unintended (negative) consequences.

If people come to the site to collect TP's, there is a huge problem, and I don't think just getting rid of the system would fix that. We'd need months of close 24 hour controlled supervised therapy. Nobody should really give a crap about TP's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Riddle me this CBers:

I come into CB saying, hey These guys are pretty cool, I learn some stuff about the celitcs and we talk stuff other than celtics too which i feel enlightens me to other peoples viewpoints on a regular basis.  I think TP's are good way of recognizing people for their thoughts but thats  it.  I personally put no stock in them whatsoever.  There are always spans of TP inflation, so I really dont care.  I mean while we are at it, why dont we get rid of stars and positions too because those are status symbols as well.  Lets not provide any recognition for those that are active contributors to this blog.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Nobody should really give a crap about TP's.

OK -so are they a "reward", or are they "pointless"?

It begs the question, why are they there?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

can't they be both?

in fact THEY ARE BOTH

A pointless reward

An attaboy

A random act of kindness...whatever
Yup

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This might surprise some, but I do agree that for some members, TPs are a problem.  I agree that for some posters, TPs have become a status symbol, and I've heard from a few members that groups of guys are getting together to boost up each others TPs.  The begging for TPs that we see from time to time is also, to me, a bit sad.  I just don't get it.

In the end, though, who cares?  I don't think the community as a whole is being harmed, because I think this is a very strong community.  Many people enjoy the feature, and I still think most people reward members for good, insightful posts.  There's absolutely a popularity aspect of it -- meaning people give their "friends" more TPs than they probably deserve -- but I guarantee that most people get TPs when they earn them for good posts, too.

I'd say people should quit worrying about each other's TP counts, TP ratios, etc., and just try to contribute to the blog in the way you see fit.  If somebody sees fit to give you a TP, I say just enjoy it as some recognition of a job well done.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Brick since it seems like you seem to have thought about this for a while, can you explain to me why they are so important to you?  

I know coming across the internet this may appear like a jerky thing to say, but Im really not meaning it like that, I swear, im being sincere!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
Riddle me this CBers:

I come into CB saying, hey These guys are pretty cool, I learn some stuff about the celitcs and we talk stuff other than celtics too which i feel enlightens me to other peoples viewpoints on a regular basis.  I think TP's are good way of recognizing people for their thoughts but thats  it.  I personally put no stock in them whatsoever.  There are always spans of TP inflation, so I really dont care.  I mean while we are at it, why dont we get rid of stars and positions too because those are status symbols as well.  Lets not provide any recognition for those that are active contributors to this blog.  

This is different to me.  TPs are allegedly qualitative - posts are quantitative.

Many a sentence fragment can lead to high post counts.  What does that prove?  I tend to take high post count with a grain of salt.  Not a barometer to me.

On the other hand, as I said before, people's insightful posts can be marginalized if they are disagreed with.  The TP system only reinforces that - even though it's intended to do the opposite.  Meanwhile, as Hoops points out, a lot of brown-nosing goes on for the sake of TP procurement.  I think this is a major cause to the 'rift' between some posters over time.

And nope I just kind of thought of it after the "lost its way" thread and this one...

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

can't they be both?

in fact THEY ARE BOTH

A pointless reward

An attaboy

You're missing my point: the non-act of giving a TP is an act of non-kindness.  It marginalizes insightful contribution over time (see Brickowski's alarmingly low ratio).  It's really a shame. 

Please don't take it personally Redz.  Things like the Over-Under game and other things you guys run that give TPs are fun.  But I still believe overall that they are adding more negative than positive to the site.

Sorry to hijack this thread btw.

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I just dont get it, I never said to myself [dang], this guy has 100 more TP's than me.  I need to beg or arange a TP ring to get myself more.  I mean I just dont really get it.  I think they are fun and thats it.  And I think it would be a darn shame if we got rid of them.  

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think they're more supposed to be "fun"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

can't they be both?

in fact THEY ARE BOTH

A pointless reward

An attaboy

You're missing my point: the non-act of giving a TP is an act of non-kindness.  It marginalizes insightful contribution over time (see Brickowski's alarmingly low ratio).  It's really a shame. 

Please don't take it personally Redz.  Things like the Over-Under game and other things you guys run that give TPs are fun.  But I still believe overall that they are adding more negative than positive to the site.

Sorry to hijack this thread btw.
Whats wrong with the trivia games to kill time during the off season?

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I believe I have provided some insight here but havent gotten a single TP.....