Author Topic: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better  (Read 29670 times)

Re: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:39 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Wow! Jeff used my line!

He attributed it to Edgar, but he used my line!

I knew I shouldn't have used that [dang] scrolling text. First and last time ;D

yep, I'm sure that's why I made the mistake

thanks for the line
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Too much politics for me.  There are a lot of contest to see who is the better member, which is causing the drama.  People are too concerned with kissing up to mods and putting down other members to make themselves look better. I guess trying to get TPs or become apart of the celticblog team.  (Just my 2 cents)
Or maybe instead of kissing up we actually appreciate what these guys are doing without compensation.

The love we get is more than enough compensation.

In the end, the love we take is equal to the love we make.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Too much politics for me.  There are a lot of contest to see who is the better member, which is causing the drama.  People are too concerned with kissing up to mods and putting down other members to make themselves look better. I guess trying to get TPs or become apart of the celticblog team.  (Just my 2 cents)
Or maybe instead of kissing up we actually appreciate what these guys are doing without compensation.

One of the better last lines of an album ever (we won't count Her Majesty)
Yup

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The drama only exists if you let it. Don't pay attention to it.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i posted this idea a little while back, not sure if its feasible though.  just an idea to build on the community portion of the blog.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=30601.0

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

One of the better last lines of an album ever (we won't count Her Majesty)

"Someday I'm gonna make her mine!"... Yeah definitely doesn't stand up to the original ending.

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Disable the TP/Karma system.  Maybe this will diminish the  . . . behavior that seems to be growing on the site.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:15:46 PM by Roy Hobbs »
God bless and good night!

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I disagree, why take away a system meant to reward people for being insightful?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
personally, i dont see the tp's being an issue and needing to be removed.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Disable the TP/Karma system.  Maybe this will diminish the  . . . behavior that seems to be growing on the site.

I think I agree with BrickJames on this. The TP system may be meant to reward people for being insightful, but more often than not it devolves into a "I like you and you like me so let's give each other TPs" kind of situation. Or people giving out loads of TPs for silly meaningless contests ("TP to the first person to guess the color of my belly-button lint this morning!".

TPs have most definitely become a status symbol on the blog. People are constantly competing and kissing butt to "earn" TPs. In contrast, I think many of my comments are of the "insightful" type, but I have a fairly weak posts/TPs ratio. But I don't care - I come here for the information, not for the TPs.

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

Because it hurts the community at large.  The TP love fests cause the cliques and pageantry that people are pointing at as causing issues on the site.  The behavior it's been causing is juvenile.

People may not agree, which is fine.  But consider this - how is a karma system community building when 1) there is not negative karma to bring people back to Earth and 2) people who invest a lot of time/energy/thought writing their thoughts, which may not be "popular", do not receive this "reward" for their contribution?  

I just don't think it's healthy for building a "community" - if that's the end game.

Just one man's opinion.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

I think I agree with BrickJames on this. The TP system may be meant to reward people for being insightful, but more often than not it devolves into a "I like you and you like me so let's give each other TPs" kind of situation. Or people giving out loads of TPs for silly meaningless contests ("TP to the first person to guess the color of my belly-button lint this morning!".

TPs have most definitely become a status symbol on the blog. People are constantly competing and kissing butt to "earn" TPs. In contrast, I think many of my comments are of the "insightful" type, but I have a fairly weak posts/TPs ratio. But I don't care - I come here for the information, not for the TPs.

TP 4 U  ;D ;D

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

Because it hurts the community at large.  The TP love fests cause the cliques and pageantry that people are pointing at as causing issues on the site.  The behavior it's been causing is juvenile.

People may not agree, which is fine.  But consider this - how is a karma system community building when 1) there is not negative karma to bring people back to Earth and 2) people who invest a lot of time/energy/thought writing their thoughts, which may not be "popular", do not receive this "reward" for their contribution?  

I just don't think it's healthy for building a "community" - if that's the end game.

Just one man's opinion.
Make that two men's opinions.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Just one man's opinion.

How does a negative Karma system build community. A negative Karma system would start the biggets firestorm since,

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
How does a negative Karma system build community. A negative Karma system would start the biggets firestorm since,

For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I'm not a proponent of adding negative karma - instead I am suggesting it be removed altogether.