Author Topic: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better  (Read 29506 times)

You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
forgive me as I rant a little bit

I'm not even going to get into all the drama over what some people think is wrong or broken about CelticsBlog - nothing in this secular world is perfect or infallible - that's life

There's always going to be room for growth.  I agree with the dozens and dozens of folks who have chimed in that this place is great - and that's a tribute to all the wonderful people that have helped make it so.  But I'm fully aware that it can be better.

And that is where YOU come in.  Don't think I'm talking about someone else.  I'm really talking to you.  You have the power to make a good thing even better.  Step up.  Give back to this community instead of just sitting there, waiting to be entertained.

It is the SLOOOOOOOOW season right now.  Couple that with some personal distractions and I simply don't have the time to write as much as I'd like to.  Oh well.  Maybe YOU should write something.  Everyone has the ability to write a FanPost (an article length post).  Everyone has the ability to share a link or photo or quote via the FanShots (I wish more people would do this - it would save me time and effort).

If the front page stuff is not your thing, how about the forums?  Be creative.  Start a thread.  Start a series of threads.  Make it fun.  Make it entertaining.  Make it what you would want to read and discuss.

If there's something you don't like - like say someone getting out of hand on a thread and no mods have stepped in yet, report it.  You all have that ability.  Then, trust us to take care of it.  I have full confidence in the mod staff and so should you.  These folks have dedicated their time and efforts to making this place better for you and you should be thankful for them.  (many of you are and have expressed that - and I appreciate it)

The bottom line is this.  This is a community.  There is going to be good times and bad times.  Exciting times and boring times.  But at the end of the day it is about loving thy neighbor and loving the community enough to make it better.

I'm only half joking when I quote Edgar (at least I think it was him that wrote it) "Ask not what CelticsBlog can do for you, but what you can do for CelticsBlog."

I love this place.  I think most of you do too.  Please help us make it better.

End rant.  Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:32:32 AM by Jeff »
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I like this point of view Jeff, good points. I just think it's the end of August and people are anxious for news and real action. You guys do a very good job with the blog, so I don't think there is need for any concern around the state of it.

I also have the impresion that soon there will be some changes in the roster (Marquis and...back up PG?) so things will get more interesting. In the meantime there's also time for NBA videogames, watching classic vintage games or just playing with trade ideas or youtube mixes :))

I believe there is plenty to talk about, and each point of view from the members of the blog is different and entertaining.

I would like to post more, but personally i find it easier to read other people's posts. You guys live in the States and also English is your native language :P I sometimes fear making some mistakes. That's why when I feel creative I post something in the Spanish language forum ;)

Keep the good work Jeff and rest of people in charge of CB!

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Just a simple "Amen!"  And a thank you.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Too much politics for me.  There are a lot of contest to see who is the better member, which is causing the drama.  People are too concerned with kissing up to mods and putting down other members to make themselves look better. I guess trying to get TPs or become apart of the celticblog team.  (Just my 2 cents)
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I have sensed alot of negativity coming from your end the past couple days champ, and I dont think it is helping anything.  Glass half full is what we need!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Good post, Jeff. Well said.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:40 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Too much politics for me.  There are a lot of contest to see who is the better member, which is causing the drama.  People are too concerned with kissing up to mods and putting down other members to make themselves look better. I guess trying to get TPs or become apart of the celticblog team.  (Just my 2 cents)

Clearly you don't get the point of this post.  Instead of complaining (over and over) about something - make it better by being constructive.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Clearly you don't get the point of this post.  Instead of complaining (over and over) about something - make it better by being constructive.

Cosign
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It can get even better?

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

Exactly... this is one of the very best blogs/communities online out there right now.  Just try not to take things too seriously and you'll be fine.  I'm not exactly sure what people can be complaining about here because this is a fantastic place to discuss all things Celtics/hoops (among other things).

Honestly, there is no need to take things so seriously if it seems like someone is "attacking" you.  Instead, look at the big picture and be thankful that Jeff (and everyone else) has created such a great thing, and that we're all lucky to have it and particiapte in it.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Or maybe instead of kissing up we actually appreciate what these guys are doing without compensation.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Or maybe instead of kissing up we actually appreciate what these guys are doing without compensation.

The love we get is more than enough compensation.

Plus we're part of the Government's new "Cash for TPs" plan.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Jeff and others already got to it.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Wow! Jeff used my line!

He attributed it to Edgar, but he used my line!

I knew I shouldn't have used that [dang] scrolling text. First and last time ;D
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Good post, Jeff. Well said.

I will definitely be writting more FanPosts and making more Fanshots now more than I have to make the blog better for everyone!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce