Author Topic: CelticsBlog has lost its way.  (Read 44247 times)

Re: CelticsBlog has lost its way.
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I need to join this cblog draft, its seems like that is where all the action is at. When I heard "draft" I just assumed it was fantasy football draft that celtics blog members made.

I'm not sure you've been here long enough  ;)

It's for Hall of Fame candidates only  ;D

I'm hall of fame quality! EXCELLENT!

I hear that's only for play-off teams. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:44:10 PM by RebusRankin »

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'll say this, CB is one of the first sites I check in the morning, heck I learned Ted Kennedy died from this site.  I generally like it around here, but I can see where others are coming from.  It does get clique-ey (poorly spelled) at times, and mods do sometimes do the same thing the rest of us get in trouble for (not to say I've ever been in trouble, but you know what I'm saying).  That said, this board is 100x better than most out there. Unmoderated boards degenerate into swearing, name calling and useless banter.  I actually learn things here, and while I don't always agree with others, 9 times out of 10 it remains civil.  I have seen some of my posts dissapear from time to time, and usually I get why, but even a message saying hey we deleted this post for this reason might be a nice touch.  Also anyone not posting here because they are voluntarily giving it up will certainly be missed.  I can't comment on those banned because I don't know the exact details, but hopefully if it happened for the right reasons...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Out of curiosity, and trying to gauge public opinion here: are any of the others reading this thread terribly upset that we advertised the "fake draft" finals on the front page?  At the time, I thought that was a fun idea to reward people for their (obsessive) hard work, rather than a reason to heap scorn upon the mod staff.

Again, something that generated 10,000+ replies and 100,000 or so page views seemed like something worthy of mentioning to me.
There is nothing wrong with putting it on the front page.  This is a blog.... you guys should be able to do whatever you want!  Nobody is paying for it.

For the record, I too found out about Ted Kennedy passing on this site.  Michael Jackson too.  There might be less to argue about now since the team is great but it's still a place to get all NBA news, not just Celtics.

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I need to join this cblog draft, its seems like that is where all the action is at. When I heard "draft" I just assumed it was fantasy football draft that celtics blog members made.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2009, 09:36:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Lol. I love you man.

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Lol. I love you man.

Back at ya.

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Quite a lot of summertime turmoil over here, over relatively nothing, I think. The notion that this blog has lost its way is a bit of an overreaction.

As noted above, the composition of the blog has changed as Celtic popularity has increased. There are more fans of individuals, some newbies - it's all good. Nothing wrong with different viewpoints.

While I'd observe that there are more posters whose MO seems more to disagree with everything, it's pretty much up to the mods to determine whether that constitutes trolling or not.

Some of you, I think, need to experience more sports forums. The venom on this one isn't remotely comparable to, say, Bernie's Press Box on STL Today, for example.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2009, 11:54:32 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I've been on CB since last March so I can't say anything about the "good old days" but I do not feel that the blog is losing its way. I don't even understand what "drama" you're talking about, maybe you could describe it and quote examples to give us details?

Personnally, I appreciate the fact that CelticsBlog is more than a blog about the Celtics : I love to read posts about "light" subjects (praise the squirrel, off topic thread, etc) but also interesting debates about politics, education, the news...

Of course the best part of the forum is about the Celtics, that's what gathers us all in here at first, but the community has developped well beyond the Celtics and I'm sure we can all agree that many members share a special bond, that you usually don't create on the Internet.

I can understand your disappointment or your concerns during a very slow offseason but I don't think that posting links to the CB draft on the frontpage is a proof that the blog lost its way. If the idea is interesting and basketball or community related, why not post it? Especially when there is no news during a slow offseason, it's all good.

Hopefully your feelings are just temporary and not founded, because it would suck to see you leave the blog or stop posting. I've known such feelings, like "Oh God this community was sooo much better before", and I can't say if you're right or not on this one since I'm a recent member of the blog, but I know for sure that sometimes you have the tendency to elevate the past memories as great ones while the present isn't really different from the past.
I agree exactly with what you said Drucci and also congrats on your first star!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Out of curiosity, and trying to gauge public opinion here: are any of the others reading this thread terribly upset that we advertised the "fake draft" finals on the front page?  At the time, I thought that was a fun idea to reward people for their (obsessive) hard work, rather than a reason to heap scorn upon the mod staff.

Again, something that generated 10,000+ replies and 100,000 or so page views seemed like something worthy of mentioning to me.

I'm 100% happy that people were fired up and participated.  Zero problem with posting it on front page.  However, please note that I never clicked a link that had anything to do with it, to each their own and I'm glad it was a success!

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
My point is that some mods can be antagonistic, but not held to the same standards of other posters.  This is observational, but I feel like it's something that's come up more often recently.  Rather than carrying out a warning in private, petty arguments are conducted in public forums. 

Fair enough ChampKind.  I've not seen that from any mod acting as a mod, but I am not on every thread or forum.

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2009, 01:50:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I was taking a break, lurking and I had to
reply to this. I've heard a lot of bad stuff
these past few weeks and it's gotten to a
point where I was wondering if it was worth
coming here for. I must say I agree with
celticmaestro on a lot of points. I will most
likely lose the respect I have gained here
at CB but I have to speak the truth. A lot of
the stuff I heard made me realize that maybe
some people here are not what or who they say
they are. That disappoints me so much. I feel
like a fool for spending so much time here.

I do not know when I will return, if ever.
I will miss most of you guys. Truly miss you.

Thanks for the ride. Take care my friends.

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'll say two things, because 99% of the membership doesn't know what's really happening in this thread:

1) When somebody's friend is disciplined, the first reaction of that person is to attack the staff.  When that disciplined person had a network of friends "off the blog", the anti-staff reaction is likely to be even worse.  Unfortunately, those upset members are not privy to 100% of the facts.  Rather, they're criticizing the staff based upon a very jaded viewpoint.  When the member who was disciplined happens to have several vocal friends on the blog, threads like this happen.

2) It has come to my attention that certain vocal members are disappointed that they, or their friends, were passed over for mod status.  My reaction to that is, threads like this show exactly why those people would not make good moderators.

Celticsblog is not a club, where the most popular people are made part of the staff.  It's not a democracy, either.  We take the process of adding to the staff very seriously.  The members we have chosen as mods are active, objective, reasonable, and dedicated to Celticsblog.  There are reasons why certain members have gotten passed over.  If they (and they alone, not their friends) would like to address those reasons, they can contact a member of the staff.  However, if you ask, please be prepared to receive a candid answer.  There are a lot of good, friendly, capable members who don't have what we feel it takes to join the staff.  Rather than focus on one's own personal gain, I wish some had just decided to welcome Fafnir, an excellent, excellent member of this community.

So, basically, if you're going to leave the blog because one of your friends was disciplined, or because your buddies weren't made a moderator, that's your right.  However, I'm not going to beg you to come back because of it.  Sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings, but that's my position on it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

2) It has come to my attention that certain vocal members are disappointed that they, or their friends, were passed over for mod status.  My reaction to that is, threads like this show exactly why those people would not make good moderators.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, I definitely have "off the blog" friends and haven't heard this, but it could be true.

that said, if it is, this is a freaking celtics blog.  It's not the open senatorial seat, heck it's not like its even a paid position. Sure it's nice to be recommended to be a mod, and I think 9 out of 10 times our mods do a great job, but really? I am highly doubtful this is about some people feeling passed over to be a mod.  I think (and hope) its deeper than that. 

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure if this is true or not, I definitely have "off the blog" friends and haven't heard this, but it could be true.

I am highly doubtful this is about some people feeling passed over to be a mod. 

Believe what you will, but it's been a source of complaint that members of the mod staff have had to deal with in the past 24 hours.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2009, 07:28:29 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

I am highly doubtful this is about some people feeling passed over to be a mod. 

Believe what you will, but it's been a source of complaint that members of the mod staff have had to deal with in the past 24 hours.

fair enough, I'm just surprised I haven't heard it, and again I think there has to be other issues going on