Author Topic: CelticsBlog has lost its way.  (Read 43606 times)

Re: CelticsBlog has lost its way.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
. . . later on I was going to the chatroom so people could make personal attacks towards me and my family, so I just stopped going.

Stuff like that shouldn't be happening, Champ.  If it does, please alert one of the chat moderators, or one of the other members of the staff.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The internet is serious business.

That said I agree with CM that the mods get a carte blanche to instigate because they can lay the noob hammer down to "discipline" us...

I was going to post something to the same effect.  It does seem like the rules aren't universally enforced, and some posters get hit harder than others.  That would be my one suggestion for improvement.

If some people feel that the rules are enforced unevenly, I think the answer is:

DON'T play with fire if you value your participation in CelticsBlog. 

It's fair enough.  Our mods don't need to split hairs all day.  Like us, they don't live in a perfect world but they still do us a great service in an uncertain environment.  They may even have families and jobs that are more important.  We shouldn't make their jobs harder by pushing our luck.

My point is that some mods can be antagonistic, but not held to the same standards of other posters.  This is observational, but I feel like it's something that's come up more often recently.  Rather than carrying out a warning in private, petty arguments are conducted in public forums. 

This is a two-way street, though trust me 99.9% of all discussion happens in private.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

That said I agree with CM that the mods get a carte blanche to instigate because they can lay the noob hammer down to "discipline" us...

I was going to post something to the same effect.  It does seem like the rules aren't universally enforced, and some posters get hit harder than others.  That would be my one suggestion for improvement.

While I understand many posters often feel this way, I just want to point out that probably 80-90% of the work we do as mods is not seen by the community.  I think you would be very surprised in the number of posters who have received warnings privately, and have simply heeded them.  

We do miss things though.  We are all volunteers here, and have other jobs/families/commitments, so we do rely on the rest of the community to point out when rules are broken, in case we miss them.  Then every single issue is addressed in a thorough manner, allowing the entire staff to weigh in, so that there is less chance of bias.  

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
Although the fake draft was a little ridiculous and the Bring Back Antoine Walker and Trade Ray Allen/Rondo threads are annoying, I think we are just going crazy counting down to the season.  Maybe it would be a good thing for the blog if the Off Topic boards were promoted more during dull times in the NBA.  It would help us get to know our fellow CB members a little more.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Shockingly, I don't see overly antagonistic mods on our blog.  Rather, I see a certain subset of posters (who are very small) who like to push the envelopes and pick public battles with moderators for no other reason than they want to fight authority.  In such experiences, I think the staff has showed remarkable tolerance.  In general, attacks on moderators have been dealt with *less* harshly than attacks on other members.

If we banned or disciplined every member who ever criticized us, a lot of the people posting on the board today wouldn't be here, and threads like this wouldn't exist.

And of course, the idea that the staff is ban-happy or overly strict is something I don't see a lot of evidence for, either.  Sure, we have fairly strict rules, but at the end of the day, we've probably banned 10 to 15 or so members (outside of spammers and trolls) in the past 5 years, and that may be an over-estimate.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

While I understand many posters often feel this way, I just want to point out that probably 80-90% of the work we do as mods is not seen by the community.  I think you would be very surprised in the number of posters who have received warnings privately, and have simply heeded them.  

We do miss things though.  We are all volunteers here, and have other jobs/families/commitments, so we do rely on the rest of the community to point out when rules are broken, in case we miss them.  Then every single issue is addressed in a thorough manner, allowing the entire staff to weigh in, so that there is less chance of bias.  

My issue is more when a moderator jumps into a situation which other posters have been warned about doing.  Even if they are baited, the mods should have to refrain from jumping into situations like these.  In that case, they are antagonizing behavior that doesn't belong on the blog, but appear to face no public consequence for contributing to some of the problems which CM is alluding to.

CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

If we banned or disciplined every member who ever criticized us, a lot of the people posting on the board today wouldn't be here, and threads like this wouldn't exist.

And of course, the idea that the staff is ban-happy or overly strict is something I don't see a lot of evidence for, either.  Sure, we have fairly strict rules, but at the end of the day, we've probably banned 10 to 15 or so members (outside of spammers and trolls) in the past 5 years.

Oh, no doubt, I think you guys are pretty lenient and run a tight ship for the most part.  This site's forums are still head and shoulders above other forums.  However, I can understand CM's gripe with the recent events on the blog. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 04:09:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

My issue is more when a moderator jumps into a situation which other posters have been warned about doing.  Even if they are baited, the mods should have to refrain from jumping into situations like these.  In that case, they are antagonizing behavior that doesn't belong on the blog, but appear to face no public consequence for contributing to some of the problems which CM is alluding to.

Not sure I follow what you're getting at Champkind.  Are you saying we should let scraps between two posters go on and let them settle it amongst themselves?
Yup

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

Not sure I follow what you're getting at Champkind.  Are you saying we should let scraps between two posters go on and let them settle it amongst themselves?

No no no, but if a moderator is called out or baited, they need to squash that, rather than continue bickering with the offending poster.  I think we saw this a few times with the CB draft.

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I have no complaint about what the mods do, there are like 7,000 members and like a dozen or so mods, hard to see everything.  I think the cause is based on the celtics success, which has attracted all types of fans.  Also, its not just a little celtics blog anymore, its like a business.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I need to join this cblog draft, its seems like that is where all the action is at. When I heard "draft" I just assumed it was fantasy football draft that celtics blog members made.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I need to join this cblog draft, its seems like that is where all the action is at. When I heard "draft" I just assumed it was fantasy football draft that celtics blog members made.

I'm not sure you've been here long enough  ;)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

I'm not sure you've been here long enough  ;)

It's for Hall of Fame candidates only  ;D

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

No no no, but if a moderator is called out or baited, they need to squash that, rather than continue bickering with the offending poster.  I think we saw this a few times with the CB draft.

Ah...Didn't get involved with the draft because of the general bickering that goes on.  I think the competitive, yet subjective, nature of that thing tends to bring out some bad stuff.

I think it having to wear two hats in that situation (owner and Mod) can indeed be complicated. 
Yup

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I will agree that we were too lenient in the CB Draft.  If anything, we should have come down harder on people, which would have prevented some of the bickering.  Instead, we specifically didn't use our powers as mods, because we didn't want to take people out of a game they had spent several weeks and dozens of hours of time on. 

Speaking for me personally, certain members didn't like it when I criticized their team, so they attacked me on a personal level.  At that point, my hands are tied.  Either they're disciplined -- at which point they play the martyr card -- or we turn the other cheek.  I chose to turn the other cheek in terms of discipline, while also defending myself against outright lies. 

I just find it hard to criticize the staff for being hypocritical and overly harsh, when the other alternative was to "squash" things.