Author Topic: Boston College Basketball  (Read 48558 times)

Re: Boston College Basketball
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Isnt he a SF?  The pics of him doesnt seem like he has the bulk to play PF
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

He is a Sf yeah, but in the flex BC can get away with playing him at Pf. Just put him in the high post and let him go to work, you'd also have to think he will bulk up over the next year. He probably isnt done growing so i can see him being 6'9 by next year and if he can get up to 220 pounds then that's fine for a freshman pf. The other option would be starting Reggie at pg and going with a lineup of

Reggie/Rakim/Odom/Trapani/Southern with a bench of Biko/Noreen/Heslip/Raji/Ravenel. But Reggie isn't really a pg and you need more of a floor general in the flex, like what Louis Hinnant was and Biko seems to be in that mold.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

He is a Sf yeah, but in the flex BC can get away with playing him at Pf. Just put him in the high post and let him go to work, you'd also have to think he will bulk up over the next year. And the other option would be starting Reggie at pg and going with a lineup of

Reggie/Rakim/Odom/Trapani/Southern with a bench of Biko/Noreen/Heslip/Raji/Ravenel. But Reggie isn't really a pg and you need more of a floor general in the flex, like what Louis Hinnant was.

Im kinda hoping for
Biko
Jackson
Sanders
Trapani
Southern

Bench In order
Odom
Noreen
Raji
Heslip
Dunn
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I really just think Trappani is huge in this offense.  They would miss not having him on the floor

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown

He is a Sf yeah, but in the flex BC can get away with playing him at Pf. Just put him in the high post and let him go to work, you'd also have to think he will bulk up over the next year. And the other option would be starting Reggie at pg and going with a lineup of

Reggie/Rakim/Odom/Trapani/Southern with a bench of Biko/Noreen/Heslip/Raji/Ravenel. But Reggie isn't really a pg and you need more of a floor general in the flex, like what Louis Hinnant was.

Im kinda hoping for
Biko
Jackson
Sanders
Trapani
Southern

Bench In order
Odom
Noreen
Raji
Heslip
Dunn

Well ideally you'd want him comnig off the bench to atleast start his career, but in order to get him here they may need to tell him he will start since he has made it clear he wants to go somewhere where he will play significant minutes. Heres another quote of his from the same interview. Coming off the bench he would get some minutes, but not alot which it looks liek he wants. If promising him a starting spot gets him there then i do it in a heartbeat lol, his game is supposedly very advanced for his age so that would help.

As for his recruitment, there are many things that Odom addressed. Odom was very quick to say “Academics are definitely important.” Along with academics, Odom wants a “significant playing opportunity, and just an overall good fit."

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I said it last year, I think this team without Rice has "Ewing Theory" potential written all over it.

These kids have another year under their belts and I just think that its meshes better without Rice.

(I'm not trying to knock Rice, I think he was a great player for BC, I just think he wasn't the best fit for the style this team was headed)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
I said it last year, I think this team without Rice has "Ewing Theory" potential written all over it.

These kids have another year under their belts and I just think that its meshes better without Rice.

(I'm not trying to knock Rice, I think he was a great player for BC, I just think he wasn't the best fit for the style this team was headed)

Tp, agree with you 100%. Rice was very talented, but he was an inefficient ball stopper in an offense that is all about passing and efficiency. I liked him but think they will be a better team without him.

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Tp, agree with you 100%. Rice was very talented, but he was an inefficient ball stopper in an offense that is all about passing and efficiency. I liked him but think they will be a better team without him.

I just don't think Rice worked well in the Flex offense, which i don't blame him at all for since i can't stand the flex offense.  Considering the recent success of BC basketball under AL Skinner i guess you can't knock it too much, but it just seems so redundant and stagnent...bounce pass into the high post - everybody runs clockwise - pass out of the post - everybody run clockwise - bounce pass into the post again - everybody runs clockwise - force up contested mid-range jumper with 2 seconds on shot clock.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
I just don't think Rice worked well in the Flex offense, which i don't blame him at all for since i can't stand the flex offense.  Considering the recent success of BC basketball under AL Skinner i guess you can't knock it too much, but it just seems so redundant and stagnent...bounce pass into the high post - everybody runs clockwise - pass out of the post - everybody run clockwise - bounce pass into the post again - everybody runs clockwise - force up contested mid-range jumper with 2 seconds on shot clock.

The flex can definately get boring, but when Al has the right personel it works great. When they had Craig Smith or Dudley it was awesome because they were very good passers and it gets people a ton of open looks on cuts to the hoop. It's just that with Rice that obviously doesnt suit his game at all, i think you need a good SF or PF for the flex to be at its best and i think thats why Rakim Sanders makes a big leap this year, he will be the focal point of the offense and he can play in the high post well, whether its creating a shot for himself or for others because of the attention he will draw.

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I agree that the Flex Offense can be ugly/frustrating to watch but its been Skinner's bread & butter for years now and proven to be quite effective with the right guys in there.  I think they have the right guys to run it right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Any thoughts on whether or not College gameday coming to BC this weekend for the BC FSU football game has a positive effect on recruiting this guy?  I would think he gets to see BC on the biggest day of the fall sports calender is definitly a plus and probably planned. 

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
Any thoughts on whether or not College gameday coming to BC this weekend for the BC FSU football game has a positive effect on recruiting this guy?  I would think he gets to see BC on the biggest day of the fall sports calender is definitly a plus and probably planned.

Well him seeing all that fan support and possibly meeting Mark Herzlich certainly wouldn't hurt. Though i don't think it was planned, they didn't even choose BC for gameday until last Sunday.

I guess on his facebook he said his decision has been postponed, not really sure if it's a good or bad thing for BC.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:46:49 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
This is from what i'd guess is the head of this site.

http://pointguardu.com/cats/showthread.php?t=48734
Rod Odom will be making a decision within the next 24-48 hours and he is choosing between Arizona and Vandy.

Now the guy may have bad sources and be wrong but im certainly not as hopeful as i was on Friday. I'm beginning to think that Odom was going to decide on BC but something during his visit made him change his mind, and thats why he delayed his decision. It would suck, and may cost them Noreen since he is already not sure if he will stay.

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Odom decision nears

The father of Long Island, N.Y., forward Rod Odom said he did not "believe anything has changed" regarding his son's recruitment after their visit to Boston College last weekend.
That could be good news for the Wildcats. Odom is expected to make a decision shortly from among UA, Boston College, West Virginia and Vanderbilt, having already eliminated Harvard last week because of financial considerations.
Odom met with UA assistant coaches last week in Massachusetts, where he attends the Middlesex School, and Rod Odom Sr. said his son maintains a strong relationship with all of Miller's staff members.
"Everything went well with them, and I don't think anything at Boston College changed that," the elder Odom said. "I think a decision is pretty close."
Odom said his son is now just going through a final process of contacting coaches and will likely decide this week.

Interesting, I hadnt seen anything where he eliminated BC from contention earlier. 

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Im kinda hoping for
Biko
Jackson
Sanders
Trapani
Southern

Bench In order
Odom
Noreen
Raji
Heslip
Dunn
Hey I graduated from BC last year and I haven't heard of Noreen or Heslip. Who are these guys. Trapani needs to start regardless of who we bring in, he was one of our three best players every game (sometimes he was even our best). If we need to start this star prospect to get him to come, we should bring Jackson off the bench and move Rakim to the two.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19