Author Topic: Michael Beasley hospitalized for depression  (Read 18730 times)

Re: Michael Beasley hospitalized for depression
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Truehoop has a post on this today.

Here is the part that worries me:

Other sources, who did not want to be named, have said that now that he's in the NBA, there is not one responsible adult who has a meaningful relationship with Beasley, and that in self-serving ways, his family and those around him have been sources of stress and instability instead of solace and wisdom. This would seem to be something of an indictment of Beasley's mother, Fatima Smith.

A solid support structure is so crucial to working through these sort of issues.

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Truehoop has a post on this today.

Here is the part that worries me:

Other sources, who did not want to be named, have said that now that he's in the NBA, there is not one responsible adult who has a meaningful relationship with Beasley, and that in self-serving ways, his family and those around him have been sources of stress and instability instead of solace and wisdom. This would seem to be something of an indictment of Beasley's mother, Fatima Smith.

A solid support structure is so crucial to working through these sort of issues.

Yeah, that is very worrying.  And I would have to say that Miami is not the first city, or team that I would choose to have a troubled kid grow up on.  While I don't think it is filled with terrible guys or anything, I just do not see a lot of incredibly positive role models on there.  Really, is there anyone on that team that you think would take a guy like Beasley under his wing?  Maybe James Jones?  Udonis Haslem?

When the veterans on your team are guys like Wade (notorious partier), or Jermaine Oneal (just not the most level headed guy in the world), its not really the best environment for a young kid without direction.

Oh yeah, and I have a feeling Pat Riley wants nothing to do with being a role model for these guys.  He may be worse than Wade.

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I dunno - I have never heard of anyone checking themselves into rehab over purely marijuana.

I've seen it a couple times. They were heavy smokers though. And once a 19 year old. So it happens overhere.

I so want to post the Bob Saget clip from "Half-Baked". 

Compulsive marijuana use is a much bigger concern for an NBA player who gets mandatory drug testing than for someone else who does not.  In other words, his major concern is probably getting suspended from the league, not screwing up his life in other ways.  Hence the rehab. 

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Great, now instead of him self-medicating himself with marijuana he'll be getting banged up on Benzodiazepines. I feel for anyone who has depression like symptoms, but the diagnosis seems a little too quick. I think the Heat have stepped in here in some capacity... Not to say Beasely doesn't need guidance or counseling but he's being hospitalized after that picture? I don't know... odd.

I would imagine the hospitalization was voluntary.  I think the criteria for involuntary commitment is something along the lines of "an imminent threat to yourself or others".  Having suicidal thoughts isn't enough; the person recommending commitment must believe that you're likely to commit suicide in the near future.

So, it's likely Beasley checked himself in.  Whether that was purely weed related, or whether instead he needed to clear his head and work through some legitimate issues, is unknown. 

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he checked himself in.  It is not an easy thing to have someone committed, there has to be good reason for it.  

Honestly, I doubt this is directly related to weed.  It may be indirectly related, or more like a symptom of the depression...basically self medication. My guess is he was just a young guy, spiraling out of control from depression, and he hit his breaking point.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that he went in for an alcohol addiction.  

Either way, the fact that he checked himself into a hospital is good news (assuming he did in fact do it himself).  If he really believes he has a problem and is seeking help, then he may be able to get better. 

According to Chris Broussard (citing league sources) this is purely due to marijuana (which Beasley has a major problem with), rather than legit psychological issues. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4419340

I think some credence is given to that report by the fact that Beasley is working with John Lucas, who is known for rehabilitating athletes with drug and alcohol issues (after Lucas struggled with his own addictions, which basically ended his NBA playing career.)

Roy, I just have to quibble that any substance abuse addiction is a legit psychological issue.

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Great, now instead of him self-medicating himself with marijuana he'll be getting banged up on Benzodiazepines. I feel for anyone who has depression like symptoms, but the diagnosis seems a little too quick. I think the Heat have stepped in here in some capacity... Not to say Beasely doesn't need guidance or counseling but he's being hospitalized after that picture? I don't know... odd.

I would imagine the hospitalization was voluntary.  I think the criteria for involuntary commitment is something along the lines of "an imminent threat to yourself or others".  Having suicidal thoughts isn't enough; the person recommending commitment must believe that you're likely to commit suicide in the near future.

So, it's likely Beasley checked himself in.  Whether that was purely weed related, or whether instead he needed to clear his head and work through some legitimate issues, is unknown. 

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he checked himself in.  It is not an easy thing to have someone committed, there has to be good reason for it. 

Honestly, I doubt this is directly related to weed.  It may be indirectly related, or more like a symptom of the depression...basically self medication. My guess is he was just a young guy, spiraling out of control from depression, and he hit his breaking point.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that he went in for an alcohol addiction. 

Either way, the fact that he checked himself into a hospital is good news (assuming he did in fact do it himself).  If he really believes he has a problem and is seeking help, then he may be able to get better. 

According to Chris Broussard (citing league sources) this is purely due to marijuana (which Beasley has a major problem with), rather than legit psychological issues. 

I think some credence is given to that report by the fact that Beasley is working with John Lucas, who is known for rehabilitating athletes with drug and alcohol issues (after Lucas struggled with his own addictions, which basically ended his NBA playing career.)

Roy, I just have to quibble that any substance abuse addiction is a legit psychological issue.
Depends on the substance. Every major study that I'm aware of has classified weed as not physically addictive, but you can be addicted to it.

Same thing with sex, and pretty much any other complusive behavior.

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You can be addicted to sex?? :o :o

[dang], another psychological issue I have to deal with now!! ::)

;) ;D

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he checked himself in.  It is not an easy thing to have someone committed, there has to be good reason for it.  

Honestly, I doubt this is directly related to weed.  It may be indirectly related, or more like a symptom of the depression...basically self medication. My guess is he was just a young guy, spiraling out of control from depression, and he hit his breaking point.

Yeah, I think that was a poor choice of words on Roy's part.  I think any addiction that can negatively affect your life so much is absolutely a legit psychological issue.

Of course the fact that this was a planned thing makes my ears go up a bit, and makes me wonder if it is more from a PR standpoint, rather than from an actual desire to be cured.

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah, I think that was a poor choice of words on Roy's part.  I think any addiction that can negatively affect your life so much is absolutely a legit psychological issue.

Of course the fact that this was a planned thing makes my ears go up a bit, and makes me wonder if it is more from a PR standpoint, rather than from an actual desire to be cured.
Makes me believe it was a planned way of getting around a mandatory drug test that would have put Beasley out for the first ten games of the year. You just never know about the real reasons behind these things.

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

;) ;D

I had a friend who was.  It was pretty sad and disgusting actually. 

He had a lot of addictions.  Oddly, drugs weren't one of them.

I've probably been screwed over royal ten times in my life and about 8 were by him.  I had completely washed my hands of him, but he has cleaned himself up.  He is on meds for - yes - being bipolar.  He is happily married.  Sober for over a year and a half, has a new baby, and I'm happy to have him as a friend again.
Yup

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Personally, I'm not 100% convinced that Beasley has any sort addiction.  Rather, he likes to be a cocky, immature kid who enjoys smoking weed.  That's not necessarily a physical or chemical dependency issue.  Rather, it's somebody who just doesn't give a hoot.

That's how Beasley strikes me, anyway, and it's 100% consistent with his pre-draft reputation.  I think sometimes we try to explain away things too much, rather than just saying, "You know what, the guy is a loser."  Michael Beasley isn't, from what I've seen and what Chris Broussard reported, an unfortunate victim of a substance he couldn't control.  Rather, he's a habitual offender.

I mean, if Zach Randolph checks into rehab, should we feel sorry for him?  What about Isaiah Rider?  Some guys just don't "get it", and that's always been Beasley's M.O.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Personally, I'm not 100% convinced that Beasley has any sort addiction.  Rather, he likes to be a cocky, immature kid who enjoys smoking weed.  That's not necessarily a physical or chemical dependency issue.  Rather, it's somebody who just doesn't give a hoot.

That's how Beasley strikes me, anyway, and it's 100% consistent with his pre-draft reputation.  I think sometimes we try to explain away things too much, rather than just saying, "You know what, the guy is a loser."  Michael Beasley isn't, from what I've seen and what Chris Broussard reported, an unfortunate victim of a substance he couldn't control.  Rather, he's a habitual offender.

I mean, if Zach Randolph checks into rehab, should we feel sorry for him?  What about Isaiah Rider?  Some guys just don't "get it", and that's always been Beasley's M.O.

Right, that's why I said it was a poor choice of words.  It came across like you were saying that being addicted to marijuana is not a legit issue. 

I agree that he may not be legitimately addicted...or if he is, I don't know that he is legitimately looking for help with it. 

Although I do get the feeling that he is more than someone who just doesn't "give a hoot".  I do believe he doesn't care, but I think there is something deeper there.  I think his not caring is more of a symptom, or defense mechanism caused by some much more deep seeded issues. 

I think there are some guys who just need to grow up, and then there are some who really need therapy.  My completely uneducated opinion based on no inside knowledge is that he may be someone who really does need some help if he is going to turn it around.

In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Marbury actually. 

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Right, that's why I said it was a poor choice of words.  It came across like you were saying that being addicted to marijuana is not a legit issue. 

I agree that he may not be legitimately addicted...or if he is, I don't know that he is legitimately looking for help with it. 

Although I do get the feeling that he is more than someone who just doesn't "give a hoot".  I do believe he doesn't care, but I think there is something deeper there.  I think his not caring is more of a symptom, or defense mechanism caused by some much more deep seeded issues. 

I think there are some guys who just need to grow up, and then there are some who really need therapy.  My completely uneducated opinion based on no inside knowledge is that he may be someone who really does need some help if he is going to turn it around.

Becoming dependent on something that's not physically addictive would by definition have to be a psychological issue, I think.  Sounds like Beasley's self-medicating with weed to control depression issues.  I've seen a family member do the exact same thing - it becomes a self-feeding kind of thing where the more dependent they are on pot, the more depressed they get when they're not on it.

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

;) ;D

I had a friend who was.  It was pretty sad and disgusting actually. 

He had a lot of addictions.  Oddly, drugs weren't one of them.

I've probably been screwed over royal ten times in my life and about 8 were by him.  I had completely washed my hands of him, but he has cleaned himself up.  He is on meds for - yes - being bipolar.  He is happily married.  Sober for over a year and a half, has a new baby, and I'm happy to have him as a friend again.
Awesome.

Sorry, didn't mean to make light of the situation but was more trying to make fun of my own.

It does go to show that mental illness is a crippling disease not only for the person going through it but for those that love them. Also, the amount of different socially unacceptable avenues that it leads you down is so drastically different than a disease of the body that I think it is one of the reasons why it has such a stigma about it.

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Becoming dependent on something that's not physically addictive would by definition have to be a psychological issue, I think.  Sounds like Beasley's self-medicating with weed to control depression issues.  I've seen a family member do the exact same thing - it becomes a self-feeding kind of thing where the more dependent they are on pot, the more depressed they get when they're not on it.
Which is ironic given that marijuana is a depressant.

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Which is ironic given that marijuana is a depressant.

Really?  I thought it was primarily considered a hallucinogen.  Either way it's not a smart choice for an anti-depressant, and really not smart for anti-anxiety (I've seen it used for that purpose too).  Self-medication is an underacknowledged cause of addiction - it seems like it's a big cause, though there is a chicken-and-egg aspect to it.

Edit:  Googled it, looks like we're both right - it's kind of a tweener drug that's mildly hallucinogenic with depressant properties.