Author Topic: Michael Beasley hospitalized for depression  (Read 18727 times)

Re: Michael Beasley hospitalized for depression
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 07:39:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Great, now instead of him self-medicating himself with marijuana he'll be getting banged up on Benzodiazepines. I feel for anyone who has depression like symptoms, but the diagnosis seems a little too quick. I think the Heat have stepped in here in some capacity... Not to say Beasely doesn't need guidance or counseling but he's being hospitalized after that picture? I don't know... odd.

I would imagine the hospitalization was voluntary.  I think the criteria for involuntary commitment is something along the lines of "an imminent threat to yourself or others".  Having suicidal thoughts isn't enough; the person recommending commitment must believe that you're likely to commit suicide in the near future.

So, it's likely Beasley checked himself in.  Whether that was purely weed related, or whether instead he needed to clear his head and work through some legitimate issues, is unknown. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Really a tough story here, never want to see this happen to anybody, hopefully he gets all the help that he needs putting basketball aside for the moment. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Great, now instead of him self-medicating himself with marijuana he'll be getting banged up on Benzodiazepines. I feel for anyone who has depression like symptoms, but the diagnosis seems a little too quick. I think the Heat have stepped in here in some capacity... Not to say Beasely doesn't need guidance or counseling but he's being hospitalized after that picture? I don't know... odd.

I would imagine the hospitalization was voluntary.  I think the criteria for involuntary commitment is something along the lines of "an imminent threat to yourself or others".  Having suicidal thoughts isn't enough; the person recommending commitment must believe that you're likely to commit suicide in the near future.

So, it's likely Beasley checked himself in.  Whether that was purely weed related, or whether instead he needed to clear his head and work through some legitimate issues, is unknown. 

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he checked himself in.  It is not an easy thing to have someone committed, there has to be good reason for it.  

Honestly, I doubt this is directly related to weed.  It may be indirectly related, or more like a symptom of the depression...basically self medication. My guess is he was just a young guy, spiraling out of control from depression, and he hit his breaking point.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that he went in for an alcohol addiction.  

Either way, the fact that he checked himself into a hospital is good news (assuming he did in fact do it himself).  If he really believes he has a problem and is seeking help, then he may be able to get better. 

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, it definitely sounds like he checked himself in.  It is not an easy thing to have someone committed, there has to be good reason for it.  

Honestly, I doubt this is directly related to weed.  It may be indirectly related, or more like a symptom of the depression...basically self medication. My guess is he was just a young guy, spiraling out of control from depression, and he hit his breaking point.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that he went in for an alcohol addiction.  

Either way, the fact that he checked himself into a hospital is good news (assuming he did in fact do it himself).  If he really believes he has a problem and is seeking help, then he may be able to get better. 

According to Chris Broussard (citing league sources) this is purely due to marijuana (which Beasley has a major problem with), rather than legit psychological issues. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4419340

I think some credence is given to that report by the fact that Beasley is working with John Lucas, who is known for rehabilitating athletes with drug and alcohol issues (after Lucas struggled with his own addictions, which basically ended his NBA playing career.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline belgian c fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
A person is always a biopsychosocial creature, meaning that there is a genetic component as well as psychosocial factors like life events, environmental stress, personality factor and  coping strategies. There are some intresting views on depression explained by K. Abraham, M Klein and J Bowbly, but that would take us way off.
What we can conclude by all of this is, that the drugs he took induced the depression, or high psychosocial stress induced or some other illness induced it. Hey even an chronic inflammatoire disease may cause it. ( by activating the IDO system what may lead to tryptofaan depletion)

second i want to react to people who say it is hard to  get hospitalised for it. I know from personal experience, few things are easier.

third, data retrieved from kaplan and saddock, 2000, say that depression occurs in 10-25 % of woman, 5-12%of men, while bipolar I 0,4-1,6 bipolar II 0,5 %

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I dunno - I have never heard of anyone checking themselves into rehab over purely marijuana.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think it may be different here though Brick because Im not 100% of the NBA's drug testing policy but if he cant play after testing for Marijauna he may wanna get it taken care of before the season starts.  But im not sure, just a thought. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »

Offline belgian c fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I dunno - I have never heard of anyone checking themselves into rehab over purely marijuana.

I've seen it a couple times. They were heavy smokers though. And once a 19 year old. So it happens overhere.

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just so that people aren't thinking that the treatment for depression is medication, for a very large amount of people the treatment for depression is simply counseling. I went through this out-patient therapy hospitalization in Rhode Island that had nothing to do with medication. It was about education of your disease, individual therapy, group therapy, daily time structuring, relaxation therapy, and social interaction as well as a very little bit of spiritual therapy(non-denominational).

The educational, relaxation and group therapy sessions were unbelievably  helpful. other said the need to be there from 9am-4pm helped them structure their day which helped immensely(I was already a very structured person when it came to time so I saw little need for that but could see where it might be helpful).

Just because Beasley is going into rehab or hospitalization doesn't mean he's suddenly going to be having psychotropic drugs being thrown his way.

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Have I mentioned that despite having that slight disagreement with Nick that I love the guy and I certainly hope that Beasley gets himself well and is back on the court ASAP?
Awwww shucks RAcker....I wuv you too!!!
It's the puppy face, man.  I can't resist that.   ;)

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 12:01:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

According to Chris Broussard (citing league sources) this is purely due to marijuana (which Beasley has a major problem with), rather than legit psychological issues. 

I think some credence is given to that report by the fact that Beasley is working with John Lucas, who is known for rehabilitating athletes with drug and alcohol issues (after Lucas struggled with his own addictions, which basically ended his NBA playing career.)

Does everyone remember when "depression" was the nba codeword for "cocaine problem"?

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Does everyone remember when "depression" was the nba codeword for "cocaine problem"?
Yeah that entire 1986 draft had "depression" problems

Bias
Washburn
Bedford
Tarpley

and a bunch of other very "colorful" individuals were probably "depressed" like

Walter Berry
Dwayne Washington
Kenny Walker
Roy Tarpley
John Salley
Dennis Rodman
Kevin Duckworth.

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah I do, if that were still true I'd be very worried about Beasley.

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yeah that entire 1986 draft had "depression" problems

Bias
Washburn
Bedford
Tarpley

and a bunch of other very "colorful" individuals were probably "depressed" like

Walter Berry
Dwayne Washington
Kenny Walker
Roy Tarpley
John Salley
Dennis Rodman
Kevin Duckworth.

Don't forget Bison Dele (although he might not have been Bison Dele at the time but (I think) Brian Williams.

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson