Author Topic: Papelbon  (Read 3401 times)

Papelbon
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
one of shaugnessy's greatest bits of sarcasm in today's globe

"Something tells me Jonathan Papelbon isn’t the guy John Calipari hired to take the SATs for Derrick Rose (see his comments on Billy Wagner)."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:23:25 AM by Redz »

Re: papelbon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Paps needs to shut his mouth and leave the GM duties to Theo.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dunno, I would like to see wagner here but dont you think at this point it may be like trying to put out a California wild fire with a kitchen extinguisher.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
And Papelbon's commens were?

fron Globe (about acquiring Wagner)

“When you acquire somebody you have to get rid of somebody,’’ reasoned Papelbon. “I like the way our bullpen sets up right now. So that’s the tough situation.’’

Told of Papelbon’s comments, Wagner told reporters in New York yesterday, “I don’t have any thoughts on somebody like him. When he walks in my shoes, then I’ll say something. Let him be 38 and have Tommy John and come back.’’

Papelbon thinks the Red Sox have a “good dynamic in the bullpen, I think we have guys who know how to work together. Is Billy Wagner a good pitcher, would he bring some more depth to our bullpen and make our bullpen better? There’s no question about it, but you also have to think about what we have now and what we’ve been able to accomplish to this point in the season and how good we’ve been.’’
Yup

Re: Papelbon
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dont think there is really anything untrue in what P-bon said, I just dont think he should have said it
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Papelbon is such a Sally underneath that stupid glare

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
my original post was not about wagner, but how clever a bit of sarcasm about papelbon's IQ

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I dont think there is really anything untrue in what P-bon said, I just dont think he should have said it

I absolutely think he should have said it.  He was standing up for his current teammates.  Francona said almost the exact same thing just before the trade deadline on WEEI.  While they all want their team to get better, adding players means also getting rid of players.  When everyone likes each other in the clubhouse (or bullpen), then no one is going to want to get rid of someone (or push them into a different role).  

Basically, I think Paps point was "I like the team we have".  I want the players to have that attitude.  It is the GM's and coaches jobs to dissect what changes need to happen.  

It is kind of like if the Sox were to bench Varitek.  The players absolutely would not be happy about it in public, because they want to show the respect to their captain.  They are quite aware of how it can help the team on the field, but their biggest concern is the clubhouse, since it is their friends, rather than just a bunch of movable pieces.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I don't take any issue with his comments