Author Topic: Plaxico Burress pleads guilty, gets two years in prison  (Read 12826 times)

Plaxico Burress pleads guilty, gets two years in prison
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Former New York Giant Plaxico Burress pleaded guilty to a weapons charge and agreed to a two-year prison term for accidentally shooting himself at a Manhattan nightclub.

The ex-wide receiver pleaded guilty Thursday morning to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon, a lesser charge than he initially faced. Under a plea agreement, he agreed to a two-year prison sentence and two years of supervised release.

Burress was indicted earlier this month on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment. He faced a minimum sentence of 3 1/2 years if convicted at a trial.

Link

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Plaxico Burress pleads guilty, gets two years in prison
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Probably a good idea on his part, he was going to do time no matter what. If he had gone in and angered the court it probably would have been a lot worse, Bloomberg and most of the higher ups in NYC wanted this to be an example.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Probably a good idea on his part, he was going to do time no matter what. If he had gone in and angered the court it probably would have been a lot worse, Bloomberg and most of the higher ups in NYC wanted this to be an example.
I think the law requires a minimum of 3 years if found guilty of carrying a loaded firearm.

He should have settled earlier and not hoped his celebrity would get him out of trouble.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
wow so his career is over im thinking doubt he will be effective after two years in the can at his age
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline Marqui

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »

Offline ReggieLewis#35

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Gotta love it,stallworth kills a guy driving drunk and gets less than a month,Burress shoots himself and gets 2 years.WOW!

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So he's out before next year's training camps start if he's a good boy, right? Then he'll get a slap on the wrist from the commish and be playing next year.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta love it,stallworth kills a guy driving drunk and gets less than a month,Burress shoots himself and gets 2 years.WOW!
I wonder if Burress had decided to bring a civil suit against himself for hurting himself and then settled that case out of court by paying himself off. if the courts would have taken into consideration the payment to the hurt parties as part of the justice so he could have gotten off easy like Stallworth did.

Burress is being made into an example not because of the hurt he caused himself but because of how he endangered so many others.

Did Stallworth not endanger just as many others by getting behind the wheel of a car drunk?

These two cases make no sense to me when taken into any sort of a perspective that is trying to make sense of the legal system in this country.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wonder if Burress had decided to bring a civil suit against himself for hurting himself and then settled that case out of court by paying himself off. if the courts would have taken into consideration the payment to the hurt parties as part of the justice so he could have gotten off easy like Stallworth did.

Burress is being made into an example not because of the hurt he caused himself but because of how he endangered so many others.

Did Stallworth not endanger just as many others by getting behind the wheel of a car drunk?

These two cases make no sense to me when taken into any sort of a perspective that is trying to make sense of the legal system in this country.

One of the key differences is mandatory minimums; there's one for possessing a loaded handgun in NY, and there's not one for killing somebody while driving drunk in Florida.  It's stupid, but it's the law.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
too bad this didn't happen before Super Bowl XLII.  sigh.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Well if the victim's family is going to settle out of court then what can you really do? I agree with you in that it's disgusting that Plax gets 2 years while Stallworth gets a few weeks, but i guess it's up to the victims and their families to hold out for justice rather then dollars...

I wonder how long Plax will actually serve out of those 2 years? i know there's a mandatory minimum, but does that mean he can't be released early due to good behavior and/or whatever else it is inmates do to chop their sentence down?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I also don't see how Vick is accessory to killing tons of animals - clearly illegal - and gets about the same amount of time as Plax who hurts nobody.

I also seem to remember something in some document about the rights of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed upon.

Well there goes that Constitutional right.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I also don't see how Vick is accessory to killing tons of animals - clearly illegal - and gets about the same amount of time as Plax who hurts nobody.

I also seem to remember something in some document about the rights of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed upon.

What about my right not to get shot by an ignorant fool who walks into a bar with a loaded gun that doesnt have the safety turned on?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

But your missing the clause that allows the gov to put stipulations on your rights....whats that you say? There isnt one? Its under the "And congress/court shall have the right to make up law as it goes" constitution be [dang]ed clause :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

What about my right not to get shot by an ignorant fool who walks into a bar with a loaded gun that doesnt have the safety turned on?
Well the law really didnt stop Plexico from doing what he did in the first place.
Still don't believe in Joe.