Poll

What percentage of the audience will the Sports Hub take?

30%
9 (31%)
40%
2 (6.9%)
50%
8 (27.6%)
60%
3 (10.3%)
70%
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM  (Read 27439 times)

Re: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
 I am a hub guy and have been since they started. I must say they by far have better insite into all the sports in New England and around the country. Weei is a waste. The Big Show needs to go. How anyone can think that Glen Ordway is a expert at Sports is beond me. The only thing he knows about truely is what cattering company is gonna be bringing in his lunch that day. That station has it's lips firmly planted on the Pats ars. If someone trys to call in and question one thing about the Pats they quickly cut him off and it turns into a who can talk louder than the next guy. When it comes to Celtics talk weei only started talking about them once Wyc took over the franchise. That was quickly gone too untill KG came to town. I used to listen to WEEI Daily not that I liked it but it was all I could get for sports talk back then. Once TheHub started I was there Day one and everyday since. I will say both stations morning shows suck. I want sports when I tune into a Sports talk station not morning news or politics or how hot some chick is that I could get on any tv station.

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I gave up on the Big Show 6 or more years ago and EEI all together about two years ago. It's been a long time since I have listened to terrestrial radio at all. I did give the Sports Hub a shot. At first I didn't care for T&R, but after a while their show grew on me and I now listen often. I listen to all the shows quite a bit now.

In general, I believe that EEI will hold on to their 45+ listeners, but the younger ones will slowly migrate to the Sports Hub. Except for Holly all the EEI guys ~50+. The generational thing will really hurt now that a younger station is out there.

Mk

Why do you think older demographics for WEEI?

Just curious.  I'm 41 and much prefer the new place.  Not that I'm the standard bearer for my demographic.

Just an age / place in life thing. I am 40 and enjoy T&R b/c like them, I am at a similar place in life, young kids, play fantasy sports, & other similar interests.

Most of the guys on the Big Show & D&C are in their 50s, have grown kids, listen to different music, don't understand fantasy sports, don't understand or care about new sports interests, MMA, poker, or whatever.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm not in New England but I can get stations from all around the world via a iphone app I have. Which shows and what specific time is good to catch radio talk about Celtics basketball?

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I gave up on the Big Show 6 or more years ago and EEI all together about two years ago. It's been a long time since I have listened to terrestrial radio at all. I did give the Sports Hub a shot. At first I didn't care for T&R, but after a while their show grew on me and I now listen often. I listen to all the shows quite a bit now.

In general, I believe that EEI will hold on to their 45+ listeners, but the younger ones will slowly migrate to the Sports Hub. Except for Holly all the EEI guys ~50+. The generational thing will really hurt now that a younger station is out there.

Mk

Just curious.  I'm 41 and much prefer the new place.  Not that I'm the standard bearer for my demographic.

Just an age / place in life thing. I am 40 and enjoy T&R b/c like them, I am at a similar place in life, young kids, play fantasy sports, & other similar interests.

Most of the guys on the Big Show & D&C are in their 50s, have grown kids, listen to different music, don't understand fantasy sports, don't understand or care about new sports interests, MMA, poker, or whatever.

Mk

Ahhh, cool...so we're still in the "younger" demographic!
Yup

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Felger >

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

Mk

Mk

Ahhh, cool...so we're still in the "younger" demographic!

That's what I keep telling myself  ;D

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
I tried listening to 98.5 in the morning but I didn't get it  plus they had more commercials than WEEI, or so it seemed. There's something about Callahan's cranky old man act that I find enjoyable.

The Big Show, on the other hand, makes me want to stab myself with a letter opener. Are we going on four weeks straight of debating whether JD Drew sucks or not? I tune in for two minutes and if I hear that crap, I switch to FM or the emergency broadcast system.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I tried listening to 98.5 in the morning but I didn't get it  plus they had more commercials than WEEI, or so it seemed. There's something about Callahan's cranky old man act that I find enjoyable.

The Big Show, on the other hand, makes me want to stab myself with a letter opener. Are we going on four weeks straight of debating whether JD Drew sucks or not? I tune in for two minutes and if I hear that crap, I switch to FM or the emergency broadcast system.

Yeah, I heard about 5 minutes of that the other day and wanted to jump off a bridge. 

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I go back and forth with a little 96.9.  Really it depends on the topic, the guest or the reception. Too much Hockey on 98.5 and too much sox on weei.

I like Holley but can't stand Dale. Suprisingly I like Zolak but can't stand Tanguay. I wish they could make a trade.

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Boston sports radio newcomer “98.5 The Sports Hub” has been shaking up its lineup - and ex-WEEI personality Pete Sheppard is hoping to get on board.

“There’s nothing official yet. I’m hoping to be in there in some capacity,” said Sheppard, who told MediaBiz yesterday that his agent has spoken with Sports Hub program director Mike Thomas.

http://bostonherald.com/business/media/view.bg?articleid=1245583&srvc=business&position=2

It looks like old Pete is going to end up at the Hub. And why not? After one of our very own Chris got Tanguay fired a couple of weeks ago for his cap ignorance there's now a weekend gig open at the Hub! Perfect!
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Boston sports radio newcomer “98.5 The Sports Hub” has been shaking up its lineup - and ex-WEEI personality Pete Sheppard is hoping to get on board.

“There’s nothing official yet. I’m hoping to be in there in some capacity,” said Sheppard, who told MediaBiz yesterday that his agent has spoken with Sports Hub program director Mike Thomas.

http://bostonherald.com/business/media/view.bg?articleid=1245583&srvc=business&position=2

It looks like old Pete is going to end up at the Hub. And why not? After one of our very own Chris got Tanguay fired a couple of weeks ago for his cap ignorance there's now a weekend gig open at the Hub! Perfect!

whoah did chris really do that?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am actually starting to come around a bit on the Sports Hub's morning show.  They still annoy me a bit, but they seem to be getting better about not driving their bits into the ground, and seem to be figuring out the sports talk thing a little more.  They no longer sound as much like cheap Howard Stern ripoffs, pretending they know something about sports.  

As for Pete Sheppard, I am not sure he would really be the right pickup for them.  It might stick it to WEEI a bit, but I think it would hurt them with their listeners.  I think most people who listen to 98.5 do it because they are sick of the "yell over the callers" persona of WEEI, and Sheppard is one of the biggest offenders.  

I think they have a couple very strong shows right now with Felger and Mazz (my favorite show...they balance the over the top opinions with rational discussions better than anyone), and Zolak and Gresch (two excellent football guys...although I have no interest in hearing them talk about anything else).  And the morningshow is decent enough to get people to listen to it when they don't want to hear about those "dingbat left wingers".  No need to rock the boat by bringing in such a big personality like Sheppard, just to needle the competition.

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I go back and forth with a little 96.9.  Really it depends on the topic, the guest or the reception. Too much Hockey on 98.5 and too much sox on weei.

I like Holley but can't stand Dale. Suprisingly I like Zolak but can't stand Tanguay. I wish they could make a trade.

I agree with exactly what you said (except I think Zolak is awful)... I go 98.5 mornings, 96.9 on commercials, then switch to 850 for Holley and the Sox suck up, then it is Felgy/Maz mixxed in with Big O.

There is a GLARING hole from 10-2 on 98.5... They will bring in Pete and pair him with one of the flash guys soon. I would guess Bertrand...

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am actually starting to come around a bit on the Sports Hub's morning show.  They still annoy me a bit, but they seem to be getting better about not driving their bits into the ground, and seem to be figuring out the sports talk thing a little more.  They no longer sound as much like cheap Howard Stern ripoffs, pretending they know something about sports.  

As for Pete Sheppard, I am not sure he would really be the right pickup for them.  It might stick it to WEEI a bit, but I think it would hurt them with their listeners.  I think most people who listen to 98.5 do it because they are sick of the "yell over the callers" persona of WEEI, and Sheppard is one of the biggest offenders.  

I think they have a couple very strong shows right now with Felger and Mazz (my favorite show...they balance the over the top opinions with rational discussions better than anyone), and Zolak and Gresch (two excellent football guys...although I have no interest in hearing them talk about anything else).  And the morningshow is decent enough to get people to listen to it when they don't want to hear about those "dingbat left wingers".  No need to rock the boat by bringing in such a big personality like Sheppard, just to needle the competition.

Toucher and Rich CARRY that station Chris. Look at the ratings. Zo and Gresh do nothing with the lead in either, it's terrible. That show is obnoxious, and it stars 2 generally unlikeable guys. They will be gone soon.

They are not sports guys, but Rich is the most talented guy on that station. Great show to wake up to.

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

whoah did chris really do that?

Nah, that's just my theory  ;D
The only color that matters is GREEN