Poll

What percentage of the audience will the Sports Hub take?

30%
9 (31%)
40%
2 (6.9%)
50%
8 (27.6%)
60%
3 (10.3%)
70%
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM  (Read 27327 times)

Re: The Sports Hub 98.5 FM VS. WEEI 850 AM
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Sure Felger yells, but he and Masarotti aren't yelling at the same time.  Half of the Big Show is 5 guys all talking at the same time and trying to drown each other out. 

Ya, but again, all the big guests go to WEEI.  

That will change over time, and it won't take that long, either.

I don't think that is going to change much.  Especially now that WEEI has a partnership with ESPN.  

Ultimately, I think both stations have their pluses and minus'.  

Starting in the afternoon, I think Felger and Mazz are much better than the big show.  The Big show just has gotten old with their schtick.  And I personally think Felger is one of the best local hosts.  He may be irritating at times, but he is somewhat knowledgable, and he actually lets other people speak without jumping all over them if they are not sucking up to the team.

For Midday, I think Dale and Holley are far and away the best.  They just are the most balanced hosts on the air.  Plus, I just can't stand Tanguay or Zolak.

In the morning, both stations are terrible.  If I had to choose, I would go with Dennis and Callahan, but ussually I listen to something else in the morning.  Dennis and Callahan can be decent at times, but the constant political talk drives me nuts.  Not to mention, they love taking crazy stances on everything.  And the guys on the Sports Hub are just terrible.  I have yet to hear them say anything informative about sports, and they have the worst comedic timing I have ever heard.  They actually have some funny ideas for bits (all of them are takes off of "Jay Walking"), but unfortunately, they ruin them all by replaying anything remotely funny about 50 times in a row, while making inane comments that they think are funny, but are really pathetic.  They literally sound like a group of 12 year olds trying to make a late night comedy show.  Its painful.

So ultimately, I think we should be happy that we now have two choices.  But neither of them are perfect...and hopefully that will make them both better.

Oh yeah, and the best thing to come out of this whole thing is the shortened commercials at WEEI, followed closely by ESPN Boston going off the air, allowing guys like Gammons to become a regular again on WEEI.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Sure Felger yells, but he and Masarotti aren't yelling at the same time.  Half of the Big Show is 5 guys all talking at the same time and trying to drown each other out. 

I don't think that is going to change much.  Especially now that WEEI has a partnership with ESPN.  

Starting in the afternoon, I think Felger and Mazz are much better than the big show.  The Big show just has gotten old with their schtick.  And I personally think Felger is one of the best local hosts.  He may be irritating at times, but he is somewhat knowledgable, and he actually lets other people speak without jumping all over them if they are not sucking up to the team.

For Midday, I think Dale and Holley are far and away the best.  They just are the most balanced hosts on the air.  Plus, I just can't stand Tanguay or Zolak.

In the morning, both stations are terrible.  If I had to choose, I would go with Dennis and Callahan, but ussually I listen to something else in the morning.  Dennis and Callahan can be decent at times, but the constant political talk drives me nuts.  Not to mention, they love taking crazy stances on everything.  And the guys on the Sports Hub are just terrible.  I have yet to hear them say anything informative about sports, and they have the worst comedic timing I have ever heard.  They actually have some funny ideas for bits (all of them are takes off of "Jay Walking"), but unfortunately, they ruin them all by replaying anything remotely funny about 50 times in a row, while making inane comments that they think are funny, but are really pathetic.  They literally sound like a group of 12 year olds trying to make a late night comedy show.  Its painful.

So ultimately, I think we should be happy that we now have two choices.  But neither of them are perfect...and hopefully that will make them both better.

Oh yeah, and the best thing to come out of this whole thing is the shortened commercials at WEEI, followed closely by ESPN Boston going off the air, allowing guys like Gammons to become a regular again on WEEI.

Agree on pretty much everything there.  Gammons coming back is awesome.  And the guys in the morning on 98.5 are absolutely terrible.  Anybody else like it Better when D&C are on vacation, and Meter & Fill in are hosting the show?  I think Meter is one of the best on the station. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Agreed for the most part.  I don't listen from 6-10 because I can't stand D&C and can't stand the morning show on 98.5 either.  They don't even talk sports and D&C are too political for me.  So I listen to Dale and Holley and then Felger and Mazz in the afternoon.  I love Felger and Mazz.  But as far as Peter Gammons on WEEI -- who cares?  When was the last time Gammons was right about anything?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Agreed for the most part.  I don't listen from 6-10 because I can't stand D&C and can't stand the morning show on 98.5 either.  They don't even talk sports and D&C are too political for me.  So I listen to Dale and Holley and then Felger and Mazz in the afternoon.  I love Felger and Mazz.  But as far as Peter Gammons on WEEI -- who cares?  When was the last time Gammons was right about anything?

Gammons has lost a bit off his fastball, but he is still one of the most knowledgable baseball guys out there.  He has a TON of connections, and he is just entertaining to listen to.

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

Gammons has lost a bit off his fastball, but he is still one of the most knowledgable baseball guys out there.  He has a TON of connections, and he is just entertaining to listen to.

Peter Gammons is appointment listening.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Well anyone that's read any of my posts relating to EEI/The Morning Show in other threads knows i'm a big D&C fan and supporter.  Toucher and Rich have grown on me, as i've become an avid fan of the Drunken Red Sox Recap (absolutely hilarious), but i still go first and foremost to Dennis and Callahan in the am.

98.5 in the morning is a good change of pace, but they really don't have a lot to contribute in terms of sports talk.  You know you're not breaking a lot of ground when John Wallac is your go-to guy on all things sports...

D&C are controversial and over the top at times, but the thing i LOVE about this program (Callahan specifically) is that they're not affraid to take a stance on an issue and defend it if they must.  I'm so sick of the Butch Sterns of the world who refuse to have an opinion and tippy-toe around issues.  I wish he wasn't a fill in for Dennis/Callahan because he brings nothing to the table, he belongs on the Big Show.

I understand that in a liberal city like Boston, D&C are going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, but the perspective, sense of humor, chemistry, and knowledge that they (and Meter, as well) provide in the morning is both refreshing and candid.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Peter Gammons is appointment listening.

Not for me he's not.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I gave up on the Big Show 6 or more years ago and EEI all together about two years ago. It's been a long time since I have listened to terrestrial radio at all. I did give the Sports Hub a shot. At first I didn't care for T&R, but after a while their show grew on me and I now listen often. I listen to all the shows quite a bit now.

In general, I believe that EEI will hold on to their 45+ listeners, but the younger ones will slowly migrate to the Sports Hub. Except for Holly all the EEI guys ~50+. The generational thing will really hurt now that a younger station is out there.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I gave up on the Big Show 6 or more years ago and EEI all together about two years ago. It's been a long time since I have listened to terrestrial radio at all. I did give the Sports Hub a shot. At first I didn't care for T&R, but after a while their show grew on me and I now listen often. I listen to all the shows quite a bit now.

In general, I believe that EEI will hold on to their 45+ listeners, but the younger ones will slowly migrate to the Sports Hub. Except for Holly all the EEI guys ~50+. The generational thing will really hurt now that a younger station is out there.

Mk

Why do you think older demographics for WEEI?

Just curious.  I'm 41 and much prefer the new place.  Not that I'm the standard bearer for my demographic.
Yup

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Sports Hub has been pretty much the only thing I listen to in my car. I'll only listen to EEI if the C's are playing. T&R were the only reason I listened to BCN so I enjoy their program. Zo and Tangod are pretty decent too.

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I am a big T+R fan.  When I started listening to them on BCN, I thought they sucked too.  Especially Crash Clark.  But they grew on me in time...

I dunno if that will carry over now that they are doing Sports stuff, but who knows.  I can see why newcomers don't onboard quickly as they do a lot of regular skits/inside jokes.

But I don't think their show is that much worse on sportshub so far.  In fact, if I'm in the car, I listen to sportshub constantly (even the commercials).

I think Toucher and Rich got the shaft a little bit, 98.5 kept them because of their morning popularity, but they just aren't a sports show.  I was hoping it would be about 50/50 sports and usual stuff, but it's almost all sports.  Toucher is holding his own w/ Wallach about sports knowledge, but Rich and Crash have almost no insight, or really anything to do anymore.  And unfortunately they don't really let Adolfo on the air much, his incompetence was always one of the highlights of the show.  I think they are finally coming into their own a little bit, but they got off to a slow start due to them being a bit out of their element.  Hopefully they keep getting better and are given a chance by management.  I still listen every morning, because anything is better than D + C.

I can honestly say that other than listening to Dale and Holley at work on occasion, I haven't listened to EEI since the changeover, and if Holley ever moved to the Hub I would probably never listen to EEI again.  I do check out the Belichick interview when they post it online, but that's it.  T and R, and Felger and Mazz are (in my opinion) far more entertaining than anything on EEI.

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I listen to Howard Stern in the morning, then switch over to WEEI, ever since they switched their commercial format the station has been much better. No more 10+ minutes commercials went a long way for me.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Gee, the older I get, the less tolerant I have become of fat old jock wannabees sitting around smoking cigars yelling at each other and farting, which is what the Big Show has become.  Is this supposed to be entertaining?  If so, for whom---Neanderthals?

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Gee, the older I get, the less tolerant I have become of fat old jock wannabees sitting around smoking cigars yelling at each other and farting, which is what the Big Show has become.  Is this suppose to be entertaining?  If so, for whom---neanderthals?

Agreed.  The only times that show is at all even passable is when Sean McAdam is a co-host (and even he has gone downhill lately)...and that is usually wrecked by them making the other co-host someone like Butch Sterns (worst EVER). 

I still can't figure out how people think the Sports Hub morning guys are funny though.  They just kill EVERY joke, and drive it into the ground.  They would actually be decent, if someone could put a shock collar on them, and give them a jolt each time they repeated a joke more than once.

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
for me personally, sports hub > weei, in all of its programming.  i havent listened to eei since the summer.