Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison  (Read 57684 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
Sacramento,

Most people have ranked you behind Buffalo, Phoenix, and/or Golden State.  Why is your team better than those teams, both over the course of a season and in a playoff matchup?

Well I think were better than those three cause we got two superstars and I believe thompson could be a third superstar, a potential rookie of the year in Flynn and a nice vet point guard who a lot of teams wanted in blake. Everyone is bagging on Thabeet but no one I'm sure looked at his numbers, they went up evey year at Uconn as well as his time playing baskeball did, he's only played about 5 years or so of basketball I think. I also think were better cause were younger then most teams and I believe roy and hedo can take a team to the playoffs with there play alone.

You have a good duo, no doubt about it.  However, look at some of the player combinations that you're going up against:

Buffalo:  Dwight Howard / Antwan Jamison / Ray Allen

Golden State:  Mehmet Okur / Carlo Boozer / Steve Nash / Luol Deng

Phoenix:  Big Al / Andris Biedrins / Rajon Rondo / Josh Howard

Unfortunately, you're in a very tough division.  Brandon Roy is arguably the second best player in the division, but I think some of the other teams may have more depth of talent.  Still, I'm open to being persuaded, because I really like Roy and Hedo.

Well for starters I think I'm pretty even with Buffalo as long as thabeet steps up. His length should bother dwight howard similar t Perk.

Golden State has nash who is getting old, I think Okur is a stiff. Thompson will be just as good if not better than boozer. Deng was Hurt last year and Hedo runs circles around him in his sleep

As far as the Suns go well I think Biedrans isnt much better than thabeet at this point. Josh Howard is injury prone. Rondo is slightly better than blake but I think flynn might better than nate rob. Big Al has injury concerns as well and I think thompson could be as good as AL
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Sacramento,

Most people have ranked you behind Buffalo, Phoenix, and/or Golden State.  Why is your team better than those teams, both over the course of a season and in a playoff matchup?

Well I think were better than those three cause we got two superstars and I believe thompson could be a third superstar, a potential rookie of the year in Flynn and a nice vet point guard who a lot of teams wanted in blake. Everyone is bagging on Thabeet but no one I'm sure looked at his numbers, they went up evey year at Uconn as well as his time playing baskeball did, he's only played about 5 years or so of basketball I think. I also think were better cause were younger then most teams and I believe roy and hedo can take a team to the playoffs with there play alone.

You have a good duo, no doubt about it.  However, look at some of the player combinations that you're going up against:

Unfortunately, you're in a very tough division.  Brandon Roy is arguably the second best player in the division, but I think some of the other teams may have more depth of talent.  Still, I'm open to being persuaded, because I really like Roy and Hedo.

Well for starters I think I'm pretty even with Buffalo as long as thabeet steps up. His length should bother dwight howard similar t Perk.

Golden State has nash who is getting old, I think Okur is a stiff. Thompson will be just as good if not better than boozer. Deng was Hurt last year and Hedo runs circles around him in his sleep

As far as the Suns go well I think Biedrans isnt much better than thabeet at this point. Josh Howard is injury prone. Rondo is slightly better than blake but I think flynn might better than nate rob. Big Al has injury concerns as well and I think thompson could be as good as AL

It wasnt perks Length that bothered Howard.  Perk is one of the only Centers in the league strong enough to defend a guy like Howard, He constantly pushed Howard off the spots he wanted to get to and thats why Howard was getting the ball farther away from the basket where he couldent do anything with it.  Thabeet wont be able to push Dwight anywhere.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Phoenix: why are you avoiding my questions?   ???

I answered them all. At length in full essay form.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=31054.msg561462#msg561462

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Sacramento,

I don't think you're within shouting distance of my team, no matter where Nick votes you.

« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
I would also like to metion that I have a lot of valuable young trade assets whom I could turn into a veteran come trade deadline if I feel I need something. Thats if all my rookies play as good as advertised.

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
Sacramento,

I don't think you're within shouting distance of my team, no matter where Nick votes you.

Explain that one then my team is as young as yours but doesnt have as many injury oncerns. I dont think your bench is much better than mine.

« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Phoenix V Seattle: Opening Salvos

Frontcourts:
Duncan is a more well rounded frontcourt player than anyone in the NBA. He's probably lost a decent amount of athleticism, but he's a crafty old coot. He might not have the best turnaround, but he's got a heckuva good turnaround. He might not be the best post defender, but he's a heckuva post defender.

I'd be anxious to see what Seattle says about how they'd defend my frontcourt. I wonder if they'd put Duncan on Jefferson, or Martin on Jefferson. Neither are great matchups for Seattle. Jefferson has owned Martin since he got traded to MIN, averaging roughly 19pts and 14 rbs per game, compared with Martin's 10pts and 6 rbs.

If you only look at the last 3 games (games last JAN and on), Jefferson is scoring at a clip of 21ppg and 14rbs, to Martin's 8ppg and 6rbs

I think there is a clear advantage to Al Jefferson if K-Mart is guarding him, and a clear advantage to Duncan if Biedrins is guarding him, but I'm less clear how it works if Duncan is on Jefferson straight up. Neither guy can stop the other from scoring, and neither guy scores especially well on the other guy. I'm not saying Al Jefferson is as good as TD is in a all around game sense, but from a 1 v 1 sense AJ seems to fare pretty evenly. Slight advantage Duncan at present point.

Our benches are also kind of evenly matched. Brandon Bass has done more at this point in his career than any of my frontcourt bench players, but beyond him the FC depth is trash at Seattle. I think i have the advantage because I've got the size to matchup with Duncan and the footspeed to match up with Martin on my bench, but SEA doesn't have anyone tall enough to match with Biedrins and be reliable. POB is awful, and Ratliff is pretty sub-par at this point in his career too.

Wings:
Thad Young I like as a player. I like his versatility, his athleticism, and his size, but Josh Howard is better, and I'm not convinced that Young can guard him straight up. Josh Howard meanwhile has shown an ability to get by against stronger players, and at 6-7 and 210, he's only giving up 1 inch and 10lbs to Young.

Ben Gordon is better talent wise than Roger Mason Jr. Roger Mason Jr is more consistent than Ben Gordon. If Gordon can get it going for 7 games straight I'm going to have issues, otherwise I like my matchup here. Probably a win for Seattle but I don't think its by a huge margin. Mason plays defense well enough to frustrate Gordon into takin shots he'll miss unless he's on fire.

I like my bench at the wings a lot more than Seattle's. Kyle Korver is a borderline starter that can play either wing position and keep the defense honest with honest to goodness sniper range. He does this without killing me defensively. Dahntay Jones is a good guy off the bench but like Hoyo says, he can't score. He had a 64% 3pt fg  rate, but that was on 17 attempts, for the year. Corey Brewer has been also problematic offensively, and is proving himself to be a not prudent draft choice. In 15 MPG last year, Brent Barry scored 3.7 points. In 17 mpg the year before, he scored 7.1 points. I think he has offically hit the wall.

Bruce Bowen should be good enough to guard anyone on the wing other than Thad Young, who should take any of my traditional wings to school besides josh howard. I got Ilyasova and McRoberts though, two very mobily very big PF's, who should be able to stop young from bodying on the wing. I think my bench is one of my bigger advantages vs SEA.

Point Guards:
Rajon Rondo is better than TJ Ford. I believe that with my whole heart and soul. However, they match up pretty evenly also.

Ford: 16.50pts 3.8ast 3.75reb 0.75stl   2.33t/o   0.475 fg%
Rondo: 7pts, 9ast, 7.25reb, 2stls, 2.33t/o, .348%  

Rondo's game is better rounded, better all around, I get that. But Ford scores more. I don't get it. Ford must be pretty darn quick.

In any case, I like Nate Robinson over Jarryd Bayless, if only because Robinson has more confidence in himself as a player at this point in their respective careers.

I think my bench by and large outclasses Seattle, and I think that my starters match up very well, beyond Biedrins on Duncan in which Biedrins is completely outclassed. This is a situation where Oberto could really help in teh playoffs.

I disagree with a few of your statements here. First of all, I'll clear up right now Duncan gets Jefferson and Martin gets Biedrins, and Duncan is nowhere near aged enough to say he's lost significant athleticism for a big man. Tim Duncan can definitely keep Jefferson at bay defensively and exploit him offensively. Kenyon Martin on Biedrins is a matchup that I like very much for my team. The offense would go right through Tim Duncan in a 7 game series against Phoenix, and there is no answer. Collapse on him, and he'll hit Gordon or Young for scoring chances.

I also disagree that Howard is definitively better then Young, and think that those two are extremely evenly matched even if Howard is healthy, while as you said Rondo always seems to struggle against TJ Ford too. There is no doubt that Brewer is not going to contribute much more then a three pointer per game if that, but Dahntay Jones is not, nor have I ever said he was, a ZERO offense player. Roy said that when going after my bench ;) Jones has the athleticism to finish on the break and is being encouraged to shoot more. I don't care if he only shot 17 times, if he's hitting 64% of them he clearly has the ability, while his problem was not hitting the shots but getting them in a crowded Denver backcourt. He will get more shots in Indiana. Jones would get his shots against Korver, while Korver would have to work a lot harder.

Gordon and Mason has to be a Seattle advantage, as does Duncan over Jefferson. Young vs. a healthy Howard is a wash in my opinion, and while I'd rather have Rondo for the season, in a 7 game series Ford will play with him like he has every time they've played heads up. That's three series advantages and a wash, leaving Biedrins vs. Martin. Martin's physicality will match up well with the larger Biedrins, and I don't think Biedrins frankly is good enough to make a game changing difference with Kenyon Martin on him defensively.

Bass is a significant player in my frontcourt, and will be a huge asset in a 7 game series. I agree with your Robinson over Bayless assessment right now, but Robinson at 5'9 won't be able to do much defensively against Bayless or even Ford.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
Another thing bother me is Craig Smith getting know respect:
2008-09 Statistics FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
G MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS
Season 74 19.7 289-514 .562 0-1 .000 168-248 .677 1.3 2.5 3.8 .42 .26 1.42 2.49 1.1 10.1

Career 233 19.5 832-1505 .553 0-16 .000 417-634 .658 1.6 2.9 4.5 .51 .23 1.15 2.68 0.8 8.9

He is a player guys. Look at last season and look at his career numbers he can score in volume of the bench. I dont care if he was in Minnesota he can still play and with the talent of Roy and Hedo he will be able to get his fair share of points. I would actually have smith and flynn run the pick and roll a lot when there in together because I think they could run it wonderfully.

« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sacramento,

Explain that one then my team is as young as yours but doesnt have as many injury oncerns. I dont think your bench is much better than mine.

Dwight will man handle Thabeet, Perk could handle Dwight because he had the body to keep him out of the paint.  Thabeet is not a big as Perk.  He has height but I don't think that's enough for him to contain Dwight at all.

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
Sacramento,

Dwight will man handle Thabeet, Perk could handle Dwight because he had the body to keep him out of the paint.  Thabeet is not a big as Perk.  He has height but I don't think that's enough for him to contain Dwight at all.

The Howard comment has nothing to so with the team I'm questioning and as far as Howard is concerned he will be in foul trouble with trying to stop  roy and hedo from driving and then while trying to recover to get back on thabeet. Thabeet.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:12:47 PM by riah32 »

« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Sacramento,

Big AL Jefferson is in another class than Jason Thompson right now. 23 points and 11 rebounds is a little different than 11 points and 7.4 rebounds. Its not like Thompson doesn't play either, Al does all that in just over 8 mins more per game than Thompson, so its not like if you just played JT 36 mins per game he's do what Al does. Jefferson averages more pts per 48 mins, and more rbs. Thompson rebounds at a rate about like Kosta Koufos or Jason Smith do for my team, which is good by not elite.

Thabeet has been called a project player by everyone single sports analyst including but not limited to Hillary Clinton. We all know he's gonna take a few years, and we all know he's not going to average about 12 points and 11 rounds in 30 mins of play and shoot at a career clip of 60%. Not for a few years anyway.

Flynn and Rondo? Come on. He's a rookie! He's 5'6! Nate Robinson is gonna eat up Flynn, Rondo won't even get a full meal out of the kid.

Blake is a good player for your system, esp with Brandon Roy and Hedo on the wings. That doesn't mean that he can hold a candle to rondo, but he's a good fit.

Brandon Roy is a top 3 shooting guard in the NBA. I have little to no confidence in Roger Mason Jr to be able to do much beyond contain him. It should be said however that Brandon Roy blow up on Mason Jr this year, settling in at about his average numbers for the season.

Hedo Turkoglu was a great clutch player for the Magic this season. But I think on your team he becomes about average. Here is why:

1) Hedo is about an average defender. per Hollinger:
At the defensive end he has the size to bother shooters but isn't particularly quick or tough; in general, not much is asked of him at that end.

2) Hedo's shooting last season was good, not great. He shot around 35% from 3, which is even with Josh Howard, and overall he shot 41% from the field, his worst since 2004. He also turned 30 in august.

3) Hedo's recent (last 2 years) success is a product of a system, not an evolution in his game. Stan Van Gundy stopped letting Hedo Turkoglu be a sometimes iso, spot up shooter and forced him to be involved intimately on practically every possession of the half court offense. Hedo can do this because he's a very, very good ballhandler and passer for his size. When Van Gundy forced the ball into Hedo's hands, he forced Hedo to be more effective Just to show how great an effect this had on the guy, his ppg went from 11.3 from the year after his rookie season (he didn't play 20mpg until after that first year) to 2007, to 18.3 from 2007-2009.

So if you need Hedo to handle the ball every possession, who suffers? Steve Blake doesn't need the ball much, but he needs it some. He's the PG. Brandon Roy has the ball in his hands every single possession. Logically Brandon Roy's touches are going to suffer.

Plus you have no inside out threat. Hedo works best with a dominant big man, and you've got a hustle guy and a 7'3 project with hot dog fingers.

If you want to talk benches, I guess you could say that my frontcourt bench is just as unproven as yours, but all my guys have NBA experience. They all showed something promising in their career and have per minute production to support what I'm projecting for them. Your guys excepting Craig Smith, are all rookies or career bench warmers.

« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
My Take:

1) Buffalo: Betetr supporting cast around DHoward than he had this past year.

2) Phoenix: A wholle mess of weapons, but Big Al puts them in a hole early and the teams lack of big game leaders relegates them to the 2 spot.

3) Golden State: Very good egular season team that I would not want to see in the playoffs.

4) Sacramento: Too young.

5) Vegas: Could be fantastic in 2 years, not so much right now.

« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I disagree with a few of your statements here. First of all, I'll clear up right now Duncan gets Jefferson and Martin gets Biedrins, and Duncan is nowhere near aged enough to say he's lost significant athleticism for a big man. Tim Duncan can definitely keep Jefferson at bay defensively and exploit him offensively. Kenyon Martin on Biedrins is a matchup that I like very much for my team. The offense would go right through Tim Duncan in a 7 game series against Phoenix, and there is no answer. Collapse on him, and he'll hit Gordon or Young for scoring chances.

Big Al and Tim Duncan are a lot closer than you think. Here are their averages since Big Al went to Minnesota.

AVERAGES:    FG   FGA   FG%   ORB   DRB   TRB   AST   STL   BLK   TOV   PF   PTS
Al Jefferson   10.43   20.86   0.51   2.29   6.43   8.71   1.29   0.57   2.00   1.43   2.86   25.14
Tim Duncan   7.71   15.86   0.50   2.86   10.29   13.14   3.29   1.00   2.86   2.43   3.00   19.57

I honestly don't know how Biedrins on Martin is going to work for you. I know that I won't be having Big Al guard Tim unless Big Easy is playing center, and that I will be playing Oberto a lot of mins in this hypothetical series.

I will say that both Big Al and Biedrins rebound better than Tim Duncan or Kenyon Martin, so second chance points won't be a luxury you enjoy.
I also disagree that Howard is definitively better then Young, and think that those two are extremely evenly matched even if Howard is healthy, while as you said Rondo always seems to struggle against TJ Ford too. There is no doubt that Brewer is not going to contribute much more then a three pointer per game if that, but Dahntay Jones is not, nor have I ever said he was, a ZERO offense player. Roy said that when going after my bench ;) Jones has the athleticism to finish on the break and is being encouraged to shoot more. I don't care if he only shot 17 times, if he's hitting 64% of them he clearly has the ability, while his problem was not hitting the shots but getting them in a crowded Denver backcourt. He will get more shots in Indiana. Jones would get his shots against Korver, while Korver would have to work a lot harder.

now we hit what I like to call "The wall".

Kyle Korver is an above average defender, and he's not silly enough to try to force shots on Jones. He will hit the shots of his that are open. In Kyle Korver's career games against Jones, he's averaged about 10pts per game. His career average is about 10pts per game. Korver isn't the type of guy you can "freeze out" with a stopper, because he doesn't do things that stoppers can take advantage of. He won't force a shot, he won't just decide to go awol and shoot til it hurts. He will quietly average 9 points a game for me while he plays defense you don't talk about because no one notices it. He's not bad enough to get chastisted, and he's not good enough to get booed.

Now I wonder about Jones. I wonder if he has that kind of discipline. I wonder how he's gonna react when the leash comes off. Is he going to take good shots against the defense? Good shots that yield high percentages? Or is he gonna take lots of shots, because you told him to?

Howard on Young as a wash isn't fair to Howard. He's not giving up much in size, and Howard has shown himself to be a well above average defender and scorer in his time in Dallas. He also has a finals appearance as a no 2 scoring option, and he has been in the league longer. I don't know how that alone doesn't constitute him as a win.

Leaving Biedrins vs. Martin. Martin's physicality will match up well with the larger Biedrins, and I don't think Biedrins frankly is good enough to make a game changing difference with Kenyon Martin on him defensively.

I agree. Biedrins is not a game changer with Martin on him defensively. If nothing else he'll be a lil scared a lot of the time. However, he's smart enough to wait for Martin to double with Duncan on Jefferson, and he's got enough energy and length to get some garbage points on K-Mart and deny the tattooed one some serious rebounds.

Bass is a significant player in my frontcourt, and will be a huge asset in a 7 game series. I agree with your Robinson over Bayless assessment right now, but Robinson at 5'9 won't be able to do much defensively against Bayless or even Ford.

I agree about Bass. I don't really fear Bayless, if only because what Robinson doesn't have in height he has in energy. I think it'll make Bayless a little hesitant to drive the hole.

I don't think you count Young+Howard as a wash, and I don't think you count DUncan over Jefferson as a win. To me offensively Jefferson is a win over Duncan, while offensively Duncan is a win over whoever I have playing center. Its more complicated than just "A or B".

« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2009, 05:16:59 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I have the regular season standings something like this:

1) Golden State

-Boozer/Nash is not getting the respect it deserves, this is a terrific combo.  This Division suffers from "Benchitis," therefore making GS's reserves the default cream of the crop.

2) Buffalo

-I think this team is ultimately one of the best teams overall and would win a playoff matchup against any of these other 4 teams.  However, the bench is very suspect, I'm not big on Duhon (check out that late season collapse in efficiency last year), and i think Jamison/Allen will need to be rested regularly to make sure team is fresh for post season.  Rebus, if your bench was better you're a clear 1 seed, but the way it stands i see you at 2 right now - but plenty good enough to be one of the frontrunners for the Western Conference Finals.

3) Phoenix

-Big Al saga should be interesting in the early parts of the season.  Like you said i see this team milling around the .500 mark for a bit until Al comes full form and the team takes its identity.  Once this happens i think you're well on your way to the playoffs.  I think it all comes together just in time to stave off Sac from challenging for the 3 seed.

4) Sac

-Love the combo of Blake/Roy/Turk, but just too much emphasis on trial-by-fire for these rookies.  I really do like craig smith, he's just not going to be able to carry your bench.  I'd say that if some of these young guys develope properly, your team is challenging for a top Divisional seed in 2 years....perhaps even next year.

5) Vegas

-Obviously this team is a few years away, they will be real good when it comes together, but will they ever play defense? Ariza can't cover 5 guys, haha.  Sideshow Bob is solid but if he's the only big man playing defense and grabbing rebounds he might get beat up somethin good.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I have the regular season standings something like this:

1) Golden State

-Boozer/Nash is not getting the respect it deserves, this is a terrific combo.  This Division suffers from "Benchitis," therefore making GS's reserves the default cream of the crop.

2) Buffalo

-I think this team is ultimately one of the best teams overall and would win a playoff matchup against any of these other 4 teams.  However, the bench is very suspect, I'm not big on Duhon (check out that late season collapse in efficiency last year), and i think Jamison/Allen will need to be rested regularly to make sure team is fresh for post season.  Rebus, if your bench was better you're a clear 1 seed, but the way it stands i see you at 2 right now - but plenty good enough to be one of the frontrunners for the Western Conference Finals.

3) Phoenix

-Big Al saga should be interesting in the early parts of the season.  Like you said i see this team milling around the .500 mark for a bit until Al comes full form and the team takes its identity.  Once this happens i think you're well on your way to the playoffs.  I think it all comes together just in time to stave off Sac from challenging for the 3 seed.

4) Sac

-Love the combo of Blake/Roy/Turk, but just too much emphasis on trial-by-fire for these rookies.  I really do like craig smith, he's just not going to be able to carry your bench.  I'd say that if some of these young guys develope properly, your team is challenging for a top Divisional seed in 2 years....perhaps even next year.

5) Vegas

-Obviously this team is a few years away, they will be real good when it comes together, but will they ever play defense? Ariza can't cover 5 guys, haha.  Sideshow Bob is solid but if he's the only big man playing defense and grabbing rebounds he might get beat up somethin good.

I also disagree with this.