Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison  (Read 57699 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Barea/Maynor  >  Flynn/Lester Hudson/
Bellinelli >  Sam Young
Finley     >Mason
Warrick  >>   Craig Smith
Big Z   >>  Cunnigham
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
And Camby and Z are'nt as injury prone as you think they are, why dont you check out the GP totals. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
And Camby and Z are'nt as injury prone as you think they are, why dont you check out the GP totals. 

My starters are better than you at every position but PF but thompson might turn out to be as good as garnett in the future and I think pg is about even.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So your saying Blake is better than miller, and Thabeet is better than Camby?  And Turk vs Artest is debatable.  I Think the only position you have a clear cut advantage is shooting guard. 

Honestly the only thing that Thabeet is good at is defense and he got Beasted by a 6'7 Dejaun Blaire.  Camby has been playing in the NBA for years and excelling defensively.  While being a double double machine

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sacramento,

Most people have ranked you behind Buffalo, Phoenix, and/or Golden State.  Why is your team better than those teams, both over the course of a season and in a playoff matchup?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
ATTENTION GMS OF: New York, Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Miami/Cuba, Charlotte, Denver, Utah, Houston, Memphis, San Antonio, Golden State, Buffalo, AND Las Vegas!!!

PUT YOUR ROSTERS IN THE CB DRAFT '09 SIMULATED SEASON PLANS THREAD PLEASE, ALONG WITH THE REAL NBA TEAMS YOUR PLAYERS ARE ON! THIS WILL HELP IN THE SIMLUATION! SEE THE EXAMPLES IN THAT THREAD!

THANK YOU.

"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
Sacramento,

Most people have ranked you behind Buffalo, Phoenix, and/or Golden State.  Why is your team better than those teams, both over the course of a season and in a playoff matchup?

Well I think were better than those three cause we got two superstars and I believe thompson could be a third superstar, a potential rookie of the year in Flynn and a nice vet point guard who a lot of teams wanted in blake. Everyone is bagging on Thabeet but no one I'm sure looked at his numbers, they went up evey year at Uconn as well as his time playing baskeball did, he's only played about 5 years or so of basketball I think. I also think were better cause were younger then most teams and I believe roy and hedo can take a team to the playoffs with there play alone.

I also think that if you compare my team to those three. That three or even 4 starters are better than theirs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:59:20 PM by riah32 »

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Sacramento,

Well I think were better than those three cause we got two superstars and I believe thompson could be a third superstar, a potential rookie of the year in Flynn and a nice vet point guard who a lot of teams wanted in blake. Everyone is bagging on Thabeet but no one I'm sure looked at his numbers, they went up evey year at Uconn as well as his time playing baskeball did, he's only played about 5 years or so of basketball I think. I also think were better cause were younger then most teams and I believe roy and hedo can take a team to the playoffs with there play alone.

Question for Sacramento:  dont most players numbers increase when their playing time increases?

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
Sacramento,

Question for Sacramento:  dont most players numbers increase when their playing time increases?

Yea whats your point....in order to get more playing time you have to be good. Thompson but up numbers that were close to Troy Murphy's last year and played in less minutes than Murphy whom I trade to get thompson.

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
5) Houston has repeatedly criticized your bench, saying that it was on par with Chicago's.  This was done even before Kleiza was lost.  How do you respond to this criticism?

Did I fall asleep at the wheel again? That's embarrassing.

Still, I was right about Kleiza. Also, a comparison to the New Bulls DynastyTM is also a compliment. Buffalo and Chicago have two of the league's best starting lineups.

But now I'm curious. Since Portland disagrees (is that right?) that the benches are comparable, how do you match the two up?

Here is Buffalo's bench versus Chicago's bench.

Linas Kleiza vs. Ryan Anderson
James Jones vs. James Johnson
Zaza Pachulia vs. Hilton Armstrong
Quentin Richardson vs. Deshawn Stevenson
Sergio Rodriguez vs. Jason Williams

Other than a clear advantage in the middle (the Braves also have Brian Skinner while Hilton Armstrong is headed out of the league) I just don't see the difference. In fact, after Bulls' deadline shuffling I give Chicago's backcourt the edge.

Also, I know Chicago's GM would want me to mention Keith Bogans, which I failed to do the first time around.

« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sacramento,

You have a good duo, no doubt about it.  However, look at some of the player combinations that you're going up against:

Buffalo:  Dwight Howard / Antwan Jamison / Ray Allen

Golden State:  Mehmet Okur / Carlo Boozer / Steve Nash / Luol Deng

Phoenix:  Big Al / Andris Biedrins / Rajon Rondo / Josh Howard

Unfortunately, you're in a very tough division.  Brandon Roy is arguably the second best player in the division, but I think some of the other teams may have more depth of talent.  Still, I'm open to being persuaded, because I really like Roy and Hedo.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sacramento,

If an Eastern GM were to tell you that they were going to put your team 12th out of 15 teams in West would it effect where you placed their team in tomorrow's voting?

« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
More questions for Phoenix:
7) You still owe me an answer on why you're better than Seattle.  Also, nick says you're lower than Golden State, too, so how do you match up with the Fake Warriors?
I already looked at the Warriors, but moving one..

Phoenix V Seattle: Opening Salvos

Frontcourts:
Duncan is a more well rounded frontcourt player than anyone in the NBA. He's probably lost a decent amount of athleticism, but he's a crafty old coot. He might not have the best turnaround, but he's got a heckuva good turnaround. He might not be the best post defender, but he's a heckuva post defender.

I'd be anxious to see what Seattle says about how they'd defend my frontcourt. I wonder if they'd put Duncan on Jefferson, or Martin on Jefferson. Neither are great matchups for Seattle. Jefferson has owned Martin since he got traded to MIN, averaging roughly 19pts and 14 rbs per game, compared with Martin's 10pts and 6 rbs.

If you only look at the last 3 games (games last JAN and on), Jefferson is scoring at a clip of 21ppg and 14rbs, to Martin's 8ppg and 6rbs

I think there is a clear advantage to Al Jefferson if K-Mart is guarding him, and a clear advantage to Duncan if Biedrins is guarding him, but I'm less clear how it works if Duncan is on Jefferson straight up. Neither guy can stop the other from scoring, and neither guy scores especially well on the other guy. I'm not saying Al Jefferson is as good as TD is in a all around game sense, but from a 1 v 1 sense AJ seems to fare pretty evenly. Slight advantage Duncan at present point.

Our benches are also kind of evenly matched. Brandon Bass has done more at this point in his career than any of my frontcourt bench players, but beyond him the FC depth is trash at Seattle. I think i have the advantage because I've got the size to matchup with Duncan and the footspeed to match up with Martin on my bench, but SEA doesn't have anyone tall enough to match with Biedrins and be reliable. POB is awful, and Ratliff is pretty sub-par at this point in his career too.

Wings:
Thad Young I like as a player. I like his versatility, his athleticism, and his size, but Josh Howard is better, and I'm not convinced that Young can guard him straight up. Josh Howard meanwhile has shown an ability to get by against stronger players, and at 6-7 and 210, he's only giving up 1 inch and 10lbs to Young.

Ben Gordon is better talent wise than Roger Mason Jr. Roger Mason Jr is more consistent than Ben Gordon. If Gordon can get it going for 7 games straight I'm going to have issues, otherwise I like my matchup here. Probably a win for Seattle but I don't think its by a huge margin. Mason plays defense well enough to frustrate Gordon into takin shots he'll miss unless he's on fire.

I like my bench at the wings a lot more than Seattle's. Kyle Korver is a borderline starter that can play either wing position and keep the defense honest with honest to goodness sniper range. He does this without killing me defensively. Dahntay Jones is a good guy off the bench but like Hoyo says, he can't score. He had a 64% 3pt fg  rate, but that was on 17 attempts, for the year. Corey Brewer has been also problematic offensively, and is proving himself to be a not prudent draft choice. In 15 MPG last year, Brent Barry scored 3.7 points. In 17 mpg the year before, he scored 7.1 points. I think he has offically hit the wall.

Bruce Bowen should be good enough to guard anyone on the wing other than Thad Young, who should take any of my traditional wings to school besides josh howard. I got Ilyasova and McRoberts though, two very mobily very big PF's, who should be able to stop young from bodying on the wing. I think my bench is one of my bigger advantages vs SEA.

Point Guards:
Rajon Rondo is better than TJ Ford. I believe that with my whole heart and soul. However, they match up pretty evenly also.

Ford: 16.50pts 3.8ast 3.75reb 0.75stl   2.33t/o   0.475 fg%
Rondo: 7pts, 9ast, 7.25reb, 2stls, 2.33t/o, .348%  

Rondo's game is better rounded, better all around, I get that. But Ford scores more. I don't get it. Ford must be pretty darn quick.

In any case, I like Nate Robinson over Jarryd Bayless, if only because Robinson has more confidence in himself as a player at this point in their respective careers.

I think my bench by and large outclasses Seattle, and I think that my starters match up very well, beyond Biedrins on Duncan in which Biedrins is completely outclassed. This is a situation where Oberto could really help in teh playoffs.

8 ) Doc Rivers (a pretty smart guy) has publicly mentioned a dislike for playing two "lane clogging" bigs together.  Your two starting big men are classic lane cloggers, with Big Al a poor jump shooter, and Biedrins maybe the worst shooting big man in the NBA (he shot .153 eFG% on jumpers!) 

a)  Can they co-exist? 

b) And with them filling the lane, how is Rondo going to be able to penetrate, especially when teams dare him to shoot (with his second-to-worst eFG% on jumpers among starting point guards)?

9) Building on the previous question, do you have concerns -- like Doc does -- about Rondo's shooting and scoring?  Also, do you question (like Danny Ainge did) his maturity, stubbornness, and failure to show up on time for playoff games?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:14:12 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Phoenix: why are you avoiding my questions?   ???

« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Sac,

Seems like you either got caught inbetween a win now/future team or that you fell in love with this draft class...one that most experts have described as very weak.

Roy, Turk, and Blake is a great foundation, but i don't see how a team that will rely so heavily on rookies could possibly survive a whole season + playoffs.  Rookies need to take their lumps and learn, this is why come playoff time, most good teams are forced to bump their rooks out of the rotation.  You don't have that luxery because Desmond Mason is simply not a scorer, he's purely a defender, and Craig Smith is too undersized to provide volume scoring off the bench.  Everyone here likes Jason Thompson, but he's never played in a meaningful NBA game and Sonny Weems isn't going to provide anything but a few minutes/fouls.  This means that you'll be forced to rely heavily on your rookies to aleviate the scoring burden from Roy/Turk...you believe that these 20 year old kids have the sacks necessary to deliver in crunch time, on the road, in the playoffs?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes