Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison  (Read 57918 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The Las Vegas Flamingos

Starting Lineup

PG: Mario Chalmers

Outlook: A strong defender, sometimes put in the same class as rajon rondo, Chalmers looks to lead our backcourt defense and keep the ball flowing on offense. Used to being a winner and leader, his ability to command our defense and keep our offense flowing will be huge for a growing team. Coming off a rookie year where he averaged 10 PPG, 5 assists, and 2 steals we look for a improved line of 12/6-7/2 and for him to be one of our young leaders.

SG: Eric Gordon

Outlook: Eric will be the focal point of our offense. coming of a year where he scored 21 PPG, teaming with a SF who can knock down an open shot and a PF who can both pick and pop, we expect to keep it simple as a young team and have eric run alot of pick and rolls off beasley. His three point precentage needs to improve (shot 35% his rookie year) and he must commit to our defense first way of doing things, but overall, we are estatic to have eric as our SG for years to come.

SF: Trevor Ariza

Outlook: The start of our front court defense, we expect big things from trevor. out of the shadow of one bean bryant and as one of the go to guys for the real life rockets, trevor has no where to go but up. A strong defender, trevor figures to be our go to guy to put on any star SG/SF we face during the season. Last year was a down year for him during the regular season due to injury, but in the playoffs, where a team that shall not be named relied on him as a starter, he responded with lock down defense, 47% shooting from behind th arc, and 12 PPG. we expect these averages to go up in houston, and as our third option on offense, we will take 12-15 ppg, his steallar defense, and 5-6 rebounds a game anytime.

PF: Michael beasley

Outlook: following a pretty good rookie season, beasley looks to be our number two option. his slashing game should serve us well, as he can suprise other 4's on the premiter. His evovling post game will be very key to our plans as a young team, and he figures to run the pick and roll/pop with gordon till he can do so in his sleep. He grabbed 6 rebounds a game in limited minutes his rookie year in miami, which we see improving to 9 or 10 a game with 35 minutes a night. Micheal should be a valuable asset on defnse, though against the bigger 4's in the league, we could be slightly outmatched. We look for 18-20 PPG from beasley and 9-10 rebounds as a starter on our team.

Center: marcin gortat

outlook: a force in the paint, the polish hammer gets a long overdue chance to start. A solid rebounder and low post defender, we will ask little of marcin that is out of his skill set. What we need are rebounds and a low post stopper, both things marcin excels at. coming off a season where he averaged 5 rebounds a night in limited minutes behind the NBA's rebounding champ, we see 10 a night as very doable for him. His low post defense has been routinly cited as why orlando was willing to make such an offer to keep him coming off thier bench at the 4/5 role, and will solidify a las vegas team already known for good defense.

Recap

We will do a write up for our bench later this afternoon after heading out to the movies, which should give people ample time to float questions about our starters and team identity.

As to how LAs vegas see's ourselves in the 2010 CB pecking order, our defense and good scoring threats makes us a team not to be overlooked. while certainly not equipped to win it all, our team is very young, very solid, and only has room to improve. I think our best finsh would be to contend for the 8th seed in the west. realisticly, we may not be consistant enough for that due to our youth, and may fall into the 8-10 disccusion. overall, im very happy with this team as a future threat, based on what picks i had to build it.

- The managment

Fire away with questions, ill get to them in bulk after the movie.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Las Vegas:

1) How long will it take the stink of the Lakers to wear off your franchise?

2) How do you match up with some of the other future oriented teams out there, such as Denver, Milwaukee, Memphis, etc.?

3) If a GM said they really liked your roster construction, but was worried about the players just not being experienced enough yet, how would you respond?

4) Are your uniforms going to be pink?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Tell me why Ariza is not the newest version of Shandon Anderson or Jerome James or (gasp) Mark Blount?   You know, the guy that has a big end of season or playoffs, cashes in, and becomes a drag on salary caps.

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Roster

Point Guard:
Steve Nash:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmPmMtDzDuc&feature=related
Numbers:
   PPG    RPG   APG   3PT%
15.7   3.00    9.7   .439
Break Down: Steve Nash is the motor that makes my team go. One of the best passers in the league, if not the best. Deadly shooter, who will become unstoppable when playing with Boozer using the pick and roll. Most of our points will come off Nash pushing the ball up court.

Eddie House
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ommlntCtuIU
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   3PT%
7.7   1.40    0.9   .444
Break Down: Eddie House is a deadly three point shooter who can get as hot as almost any player in the league. Perfect fit for an undersized fast break team. Will see time at the one,  at the two next to Steve Nash in 3 point situations, but mostly he will play at the two with Tyreke Evans. Evans is big enough to guard twos but has point guard skills for the offense. Eddie is just one of my many great three point shooters, that will space the floor and are perfect for a Golden State, Steve Nash team.

Jamaal Tinsley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wetf7zXxkeg&feature=fvw
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
10.4   3.4   7.0   1.7 (career numbers)
Break Down: This is a low risk high reward move. He is a player who has undeniable talent but is a head case. We picked him with our last pick, so if he doesn’t fit (causes problems in the locker room), we will cut him. Great passer, if he can play like he did two years ago he would be one of the best back up points in the league. I see his situation similar to Stephon Marbury last year, except that Tinsley’s best skill is his passing which does not leave a player in the way Marbury’s jump shot left him last year.

Corey Maggette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DArfTu7K4JY
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
18.6   5.5   1.8   .9
Break Down: A near 20 point scorer to combine with the scoring prowess of all my other starters. Big strong wing player who is athletic enough to guard quick twos but strong enough to muscle the bigger ones. Can hit the open 3 but most of his points are scored slashing. Will have plenty of space to slash, with the shooting ability of Boozer, Nash, Okur as well as my bench 3 point shooters. Might end up going to the pine to be a super sub scoring machine.

Tyreke Evans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-C3_ZyaW_A
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
17.1   5.4   3.9   2.1 (college numbers)
Break Down: One of four very good young players on my team. A top five pick that does not need to perform in order for his team to be effective. Will start the season behind Maggette and the defensive minded Udoka as the 3rd two guard on the team. Fits with Eddie well but if Tyreke doesn’t play well we still have a capable Tinsley and House to back up the one and Udoka to play the two. A high reward low risk pick.

Ime Udoka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At_z7XpkZeE
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
3.4   4.6   .8   .5
Break Down: The numbers do not do full justice to what Udoka brings to the basketball court. He is a strong defender who will help to make sure Golden State is known not just as a high scoring offensive team, but also a mentally tough team that can make stops on defense.

Luol Deng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHJam7y7jCU
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals   3PT%
14.1   6   1.9   1.2   .400
Break Down: The only reason Deng was available when I picked him was because of his injury. He is only 24, a great athletic defender who can shoot. He will flourish in an up tempo system like Golden State runs with Steve Nash. Another player who can score but also brings the defensive toughness needed to be a winning playoff team.

Jason Kapono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK4bEBQztwc
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   3PT%
8.0   2   1.3   .428

Break Down: Every year he is one of the best three point shooters in the league. He goes well with all my other three point shooters, spreading the floor in a way that the NBA hasn’t seen in recent memory.

DeMar DeRozan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtT6OFTvnBA
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
13.9   5.7   1.5   .9 (college numbers)
Break Down: Another high upside prospect who will not hurt the team if he is not ready to contribute right away. Anything we get out of DeMar this year is a bonus. We see him and Evans being the wings of the future.

Carlos Boozer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd60KdzvDys&feature=related
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
16.2   10.4   2.1   1
Break Down: Great rebounder, great finisher, good jump shooter. Perfect to run the pick and roll with Steve Nash. Will pull down rebounds to start the break run down the floor and finish well. When stuck in the half court he can score extremely well. Brings toughness to the Warriors that they sorely need.

Chuck Hayes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0IXgjF-LOA
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   Steals
1.5   3.5   .6   .5
Break Down: Another tough player to change the culture of the Warriors. Anyone who watched the Rockets plays know he is a good tough rebounder, who plays excellent defense.

Danilo Gallinari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcnQLbgUbB4
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   3PT%
6.0   2   .5   .444
Break Down: Another young player that we don’t need to succeed. He is in the mold of Kapono only a lot more athleticism. His three point shooting will gain him some time in my high scoring 3 point chucking second unit. The Knicks expect him to take a leadership role this year.

Memhet Okur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bJ9gWWAlY
Numbers
PPG   RPG   APG   3PT%
17.0   7.7   1.7   .446
Break Down: Large center that can space the floor play defense and rebound. Perfect inside outside partner to Carlos Boozer, which is why I kept them together. Is perfect player to go against Dwight Howard because Memhet can draw him away from the basket so he is less of a threat to block shots.

DeSagna Diop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcQzOkRXkEY
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   BPG
2.3   3.6   .4   .8
Break Down: Large shot blocker to clog the middle and back up Okur.

Sean Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOP3YBBKnzc
Numbers:
PPG   RPG   APG   BPG
2.4   2.4   .4   .9
Break Down: Very athletic shot blocker that runs the floor well. Perfect for an up empo offense, due to the fact that he’s faster than most centers in the league.

Team Break Down

The Golden State Warriors are an up tempo high scoring team that will play defense and play tough. We brought in good scorers but also tough players who will allow us to go deep in the playoffs. We can play any style, we can field a line up of purely 3 point shooters, good defenders, athletic running players and even a large line up.
We will play an up tempo style that will be a little tempered from the way the Warriors currently play, due to our ability to score and defend in the half court. My back ups will really push the tempo with three 40%+ three point shooters we will be heaving. Gallanari, Evans and DeRozan are all top ten picks in the last two years and have a high ceiling. We would love contributions from them this year but have the players in place to succeed even if they are not ready.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
My formatting got messed up I meant to have a Golden State Warriors logo at the top.

Any questions/ comments on my team?

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Golden State:

1) Why would your team be more successful than the "real" Utah Jazz?

2) How do you stack up with your two biggest division rivals, Phoenix and Buffalo?

3) Who plays defense off of your bench?

4) What's your rotation?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
More questions for Phoenix:

6) Big Al is a terrible defender, and Biedrins has never shown great man-to-man skills (although admittedly, much of this may be due to the system he plays in). 
After the amount of time we discussed this in the draft thread, I meant to address this in my press release.

I see this as my team's biggest weakness.

Biedrins is a high energy player that is best at defense when he is roaming the paint and able to make plays. Kind of like Marcus Camby, in that when made to camp in the paint against an effective offensive player he's much less adept on the defensive end.

In defense of Al Jefferson being a 'terrible' offensive player:

Prior to the 07/08 season, Al Jefferson had started 68 games over 3 years.

In the 06/07 season his on off the court net average was +2.1, as in every 100 possessions, when al Jefferson played as opposed to when he didn't, the 06/07 Celtics scored 2.1 more points than they let in. In context, Tim Duncan last year had a net on/off of +1.7

In 2007/2008 Al Jefferson started all 82 games. His net on/off court per 100 poss was -11.7. That means when Al Jefferson was off the court, as opposed to when he was on it, the T-Wolves scored appoximately 11.7 points more without him. That is absolutely atrocious.

Last season, Al Jefferson had a net on off of +3.6, the best of his career.

What was the difference between the three seasons?

The first season as a starter, despite the Celtics going 24-58, Jefferson still managed a respectable +/-, but then when on a team comparable in wins and losses, he did so much worse. Why?

On top of that, the next year on virtually the same identical team he managed to turn it all around for his best +/- as a starter. Why again?

It all comes down to who he is playing with. In 2006/2007 he played with a developing Kendrick Perkins for the majority of their mins. Despite a final record of 24-58, the lineup of Rondo-West-Pierce-Jefferson-Perkins still had a 60% win percentage. To put that in context, our starting 5 this season had a win % of 72%.

In 2007/2008 the most played lineups paired Jefferson with Ryan Gomes the majority of the time. I love Ryan Gomes, but he's never been and never will be a starting caliber power forward. He's undersized and not really strong enough to compensate for the average size at the position.

In 2008/2009 Jefferson played principally with Craig Smith and Kevin Love, two guys that while not remotely defensive stalwarts, they're physical and can at least give it a fighting try.

That to me is the difference with Jefferson. This is a franchise cornerstone that has to completely carry his team both in terms of scoring and until Kevin Love came around and Craig Smith got a starting role, rebounding, every night. He plays better defense when the guy next to him isn't a sieve.

People accused Paul Pierce of being a bad defensive player for years, and when finally he had a reliable supporting cast, all of a sudden Paul Pierce is considered a sound played on the defensive side.

Maybe putting Jefferson into a lineup with solid rebounders like Biedrins, Howard, and Rondo will allow him to really focus on his own defensive game. I'm not saying he's going to turn into Kevin Garnett, but maybe giving Jefferson other scorers like Howard, Rondo, and even Biedrins and Mason will let Big Al take his mind off of where the next 2 points are going to come from and just concentrate on showing on a few more of those pick and roll sets.

Stranger things have happened. Heck, Shaq was an All-Star last year, one year removed from possibly his worst statistical season ever.

Your backups are inexperienced and/or weak.  How do you prevent other teams from abusing your front line, especially in the talented West?

My backups I wouldn't call weak. Kosta Koufos is 7 feet tall, 265 pounds and still coming into his NBA body. Jason Smith is 7ft tall and just supposedly spent a year in the weight room. (I will find the press release raving about his off season work ethic, but I didn't wanna look it up again) Fabricio Oberto, the real bench guy that will guard the big boys of Howard, Shaq and Duncan in the playoffs (as the need arises)

All that said, it is a definite worry. I don't think there is a scoring tandem including Shaq and JO that will put up more points than my frontline will in the West, but barring a defensive revelation from Andris Biedrins, I also don't think that my team will be able to stop Shaq, Dwight or Tim this year. We will only be able to contain them.

7) You still owe me an answer on why you're better than Seattle.  Also, nick says you're lower than Golden State, too, so how do you match up with the Fake Warriors?

8 ) Doc Rivers (a pretty smart guy) has publicly mentioned a dislike for playing two "lane clogging" bigs together.  Your two starting big men are classic lane cloggers, with Big Al a poor jump shooter, and Biedrins maybe the worst shooting big man in the NBA (he shot .153 eFG% on jumpers!) 

a)  Can they co-exist? 

b) And with them filling the lane, how is Rondo going to be able to penetrate, especially when teams dare him to shoot (with his second-to-worst eFG% on jumpers among starting point guards)?

9) Building on the previous question, do you have concerns -- like Doc does -- about Rondo's shooting and scoring?  Also, do you question (like Danny Ainge did) his maturity, stubbornness, and failure to show up on time for playoff games?

The rest are coming. That one answer took a while.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I appreciate the response, IP, but as I just said in another thread, I don't really put too much stock into +/- numbers.  Last season, Kevin Durant was the worst qualifying player in the NBA in terms of +/-, and Derek Rose was third.  Somehow, I don't think those two teams are better without those guys.

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2009, 11:31:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Golden State:

1) Why would your team be more successful than the "real" Utah Jazz?
Deng and Maggette are much much better than any of the wings the Jazz have. The Jazz don't have the beavy of three point shooters that I have. The Jazz don't have young players with the upside that Gallanari, WIlliams, DeRozan, and Evans have.

2) How do you stack up with your two biggest division rivals, Phoenix and Buffalo?
Phoenix, great team, but too young to win anything this year. Out of PHX three best player all are younger than 24 and only one has playoff experience. The bench just doesn't do it for me, Nate jacking up all the shots playing point, not being able to find Korver or Bowen on the wing. The back up post players are ok.
Buffalo, very good team. We feel that we are a bad match up for them. Can Jamison guard Boozer, no way. Will Howard be as effective guarding Okur near the three point line? not likely. Can Duhon stay with Nash? Nope. Howard is the best center in the league so his team will always be very good. We feel that we have put together a team that will match up well against his team.
3) Who plays defense off of your bench?
Udoka, Diop and Hayes play very good defense to start. DeRozan was known as a good defender in college. However, my bench will be more like the current Golden State teams, they will outscore you with a fast tempo and three point shooting. So we have 3 players that can play defense off the bench but our second unit as a whole will be more concerned with out scoring the opponent.

4) What's your rotation?
Really depends on who we're playing. If we're playing a team where it would be best for us to play a half court game it would be
Nash/Evans
Udoka/Maggette
Deng/DeRozan
Boozer/Hayes
Okur/Diop

Hayes, Diop, and Maggette would get the majority of the minutes off the bench in such a game.
When it makes sense to try to outscore the other team rather than stop them the lineup would be.
Nash/House
Maggette/Evans
Deng/Kapono
Boozer/Gallinari
Okur/Williams.

However if DeRozan, Evans, Williams or Gallinari play well then they will move into the rotation regardless of the situation.

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
The Las Vegas Flamingos

head Coach and most fancy dressed coach
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Looking at our division if we can't get three teams in the playoffs then there has been a travesty committed.

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Looking at our division if we can't get three teams in the playoffs then there has been a travesty committed.

I have three teams from your division in my top six (in the West), it's just a matter of sorting them out.

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I appreciate the response, IP, but as I just said in another thread, I don't really put too much stock into +/- numbers.  Last season, Kevin Durant was the worst qualifying player in the NBA in terms of +/-, and Derek Rose was third.  Somehow, I don't think those two teams are better without those guys.

I agree in terms that +/- doesn't prove anything on its own. I used this statistic to illustrate just how terrible some of the players Al Jefferson has been forced to carry in the post in his career. Al Jefferson's defense improved greatly last season, and I know this from watching the games (one of the few teams I go out of my way to watch). He looked more interested and more dedicated, especially after Kevin Love started to get his pro legs in December. Whether it was becasue he actually improved or if only because he had some guys next to him who could take some of the rebounding and scoring load off of his shoulders is debatable, but I think ranking Al Jefferson as a "terrible" defender based on last season isn't fair, because he wasn't terrible.

No question my defensive front line is going to have a problem with elite players, but if Al Jefferson can just try harder on the defensive end because he's got players around him that will allow him to devote more energy there, i think that will further improve his focus, which is most people's main complaint.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 11:45:01 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I have three teams from your division in my top six, it's just a matter of sorting them out.
When sorting teams out you have to look at several categories in my opinion.
1. Experience
2. Bench (depth)
3. Head to Head match ups
4. Players who can hit big shots.
5. Usually the top tier teams will have a young player who breaks out (Ariza, Rondo).

I think I have check marks next to all those criteria

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I have three teams from your division in my top six, it's just a matter of sorting them out.
When sorting teams out you have to look at several categories in my opinion.
1. Experience
2. Bench (depth)
3. Head to Head match ups
4. Players who can hit big shots.
5. Usually the top tier teams will have a young player who breaks out (Ariza, Rondo).

I think I have check marks next to all those criteria

Okur=Okur if not injuried
Boozer < best boozer of utah
Deng  alittle bettero
Magette...nefense
this years Nash << Deron williams

I cant see u being better than real life est Utah
team who happens to be out in one or two rounds every other playoffs
even if I do think u have a very good team
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!