Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison  (Read 57915 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd like to ask a question, since I see only jrondo and WW are lookin at the thread currently.

Looking at my press release and my gameplan, do you guys think what I'm expecting of my players is realistic?

I think your starting 5 is very good and as long as you accept some losses to make sure your key guys don't get burned out, I think you will have a nice squad come playoffs. Top shelf players win in the playoffs and you have two. Rondo showed what he could do in the Chicago series, when everyone was calling him the NBA of the whole playoffs prior to that Slimy Miller hub bub. And Big Al could dominate in the playoffs too if healthy. Biedrins and Howard are very quality starters too. I don't think you'll win the championship, b/c I think it will be one of the Eastern Conference teams, but it wouldn't shock me if you made it to the WCF. I think the West is wide open with lots of good teams, whereas the East is more top heavy.

I've kind of accepted that I might start off the first quarter of the season around .500. My team will need some feeling out, and I'm not in a rush to put the world on Al Jefferson's shoulders before he's in the physical condition to carry it. I know what I've got from 3/4 of my roster, but that other 1/4 is important, so in order to maximize that I've gotta put the immediate W/L on the back burner. Could I still end up winning the division? Sure. But Burgess Meridith doesn't hang divisional banners. Mostly because he's a ghost, but also because he doesn't think they mean that much.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Introducing your 2009/2010 Buffalo Braves:

The Starters:

PG: Chris Duhon
11.1ppg, 7.2apg, 3.1rpg, 39.1% 3pters

SG: Ray Allen
18.2ppg, 2.8apg, 3.5rpg, 40.9 % 3pters

SF: Al Thornton
16.8ppg, 1.5apg, 5.2rpg

PF: Antawn Jamison
22.2ppg, 1.9apg, 8.9rpg, 35.1% 3pters

C: Dwight Howard
20.6ppg, 1.4apg, 13.8rpg, 2.9bpg

The Bench:

SG/SF: Quentin Richardson
10.2ppg, 1.4apg, 4.4rpg, 36.5% 3pters

SG/SF: James Jones
4.2ppg, 0.5apg, 1.6rpg, 34.4% 3pters

PF/C: Zaza Pachulia
6.2ppg, 0.7apg, 5.7rpg

PF/C: Brian Skinner
4.2ppg, 0.5apg, 4rpg

PG: Sergio Rodriguez
4.5ppg, 3.6apg, 1.6rpg, 32.5% 3pters

PG: Bobby Brown
5.3ppg, 1.7apg, 0.8rpg, 33% 3pts

PF: Jon Brockman
NBA Rookie

Draft Philosophy:
The draft lottery was very good to me as I ended up with the number two pick. I knew that I would be drafting Dwight Howard as he's the best young big man in the game and would give me a player few teams would have a good match-up for. After that it was a case of building around Howard.

I wanted a PF who could play on the perimeter to clear space for Howard in the paint. I targeted a few players and was able to grab one of the players I really wanted for this role in Antawn Jamison.

For my next pick, I could see Ray Allen was slipping and nabbed him. I wanted a deadly shooter on the perimeter to team with Howard and Ray Allen is one of the best of all time. Plus he's proven he can play as part of a big three.

I didn't have a pick until the 5th and still needed a pg and a sf. I drafted Duhon because I wanted a pg who can distribute, defend and shot the 3 and he does all of those things well.

I originally drafted AK47 but felt he wasn't the best fit at sg and traded him to SA for a more natural sf in Al Thorton.

The bench was all about finding players to fill a role. Linas Kleiza was drafted to be my Posey type player, a guy who could shot the 3 and swing between the 3 and 4. Sadly he went to Europe.

There had been a run on bigs so I drafted ZaZa Pachulia as I knew I wanted a quality big who could play 20 minutes a game and swing between the PF and C spots.

QRich was drafted for his scoring and outside shooting.

Sergio Rodriguez was picked as a pg with upside. I like his passing ability and feel he will play major minutes in Sacramento this year.

Brian Skinner was drafted to be my 4th big. He's been productive throughout his career.

Bobby Brown was drafted a defensive pg/prospect.
Jon Brockman was my big man project.

Worst Pick:
Right now drafting Linas Kleiza in the 6th round.

How it will look:
Obviously my team will rely on its Main 3 of Howard, Jamison and Allen. Duhon will run the offense, play D and hit his open shots. Thornton will provide athleticism, rebounding and a 4th option on offense.

QRich will back-up both the 2 and 3, providing bench scoring and outside shooting. ZaZa will be the first big off the bench and will give my team interior scoring and rebounding. Rodriguez will play at least 20 minutes a game and will be relied upon to run the offense. Jones will provide depth at the 2 and 3, along with outside shooting. Skinner is my 4th big.

Outlook for the Season:

I feel that my team is a legitimate contender to win its division. I also feel that I have a legitimate shot at winning the Western Conference and the FNBA Championship.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
whoopty whoop! We got a 2nd press conference!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I have a question for Buffalo:

Any thought to pulling Al Thorton from the lineup and starting Q-Rich? With Kleiza now out of the picture, the need for a really strong sixth man kind of increases, and Thorton can play both the 3 and the 4. You can still use James Jones in the role you would've used Q, but you'd gain an extra element of versatility.

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 12:41:12 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Any thought to pulling Al Thorton from the lineup and starting Q-Rich? With Kleiza now out of the picture, the need for a really strong sixth man kind of increases, and Thorton can play both the 3 and the 4. You can still use James Jones in the role you would've used Q, but you'd gain an extra element of versatility.

Its been thought about. Right now, the plan is to start the way I stated it above but its something that we might switch to during the season. Rodriguez's role may also increase depending on his play this season.

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 12:47:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Dwight Howard has averaged 36 minutes per game for 5 years, and over that course of time he's only missed three games, and if I recall weren't one or two of those for suspension? Couple that with 37 playoff games in his career, 33 over the last two years, and a Finals run where he logged 23 this past season, he's got a lot of miles for such a young guy. Considering his very physical style of play, both in the way he approaches the game and the way opponents just whoop on him, there any fear that he may be "due" to miss some serious time?

(PS I understand its ridiculous to say a player has been "too healthy" but that is a TON of miles in 5 years. Probably close to most in the NBA)

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 12:48:48 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

(I swear I was putting my question together before reading IPs. And anyway I don't advocate starting Q., James Jones possibly.)

I love the Howard and Jamison pairing. Antawn should run wild offensively, and create plenty of spacing for Howard. While Dwight covers for Jamison's defensive shortcomings. And both players rebound well. Then Ray Allen strikes me as a perfect third option, with a championship ring no less...

But where do you see Thornton fitting? He's a workhorse, developing defensively, and has a great ability to create his own shot - a trait that is very difficult to develop, most players either can do it or they can't. But he's also an end point on offense who doesn't pass well and hasn't learned to play off the ball. How do you involve him in an otherwise very well balanced offense? Also run him as a 1st option with the second unit?

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 12:52:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Dwight Howard has averaged 36 minutes per game for 5 years, and over that course of time he's only missed three games, and if I recall weren't one or two of those for suspension? Couple that with 37 playoff games in his career, 33 over the last two years, and a Finals run where he logged 23 this past season, he's got a lot of miles for such a young guy. Considering his very physical style of play, both in the way he approaches the game and the way opponents just whoop on him, there any fear that he may be "due" to miss some serious time?

(PS I understand its ridiculous to say a player has been "too healthy" but that is a TON of miles in 5 years. Probably close to most in the NBA)

Also, you could probably say a lot of the same stuff about Lebron

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:36 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Second question, had Buffalo been able to sign a replacement player, who would it have been?

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

and before him..paul pierce and kg
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 12:54:43 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Question for Buffalo
I had you as the favorite in the West prior to the Kleiza situation and I think you might still squeeze by into the Finals. Why didn't you sign 15 players though?

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 12:55:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Second question, had Buffalo been able to sign a replacement player, who would it have been?

Suggestion: Primoz Breznec

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 12:58:48 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
If kleiza is your worst pick for ovious reasons
who do u think is your best.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 12:59:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

KG had one lost season in the first 5 I believe.

Pierce has been remarkably healthy...wow sometimes you just don't look at these things close enough.

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

KG had one lost season in the first 5 I believe.

Pierce has been remarkably healthy...wow sometimes you just don't look at these things close enough.

yup
and sometimes the reason was only tanking...
fun isnt it
of course you will not see lebrick nor howard tanking this days

Nice to be back!