Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Southwest Division  (Read 62851 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Southwest Division
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Memphis:

With Diaw averaging 15 points, 6 Rebounds and 5 Assists a game last year for Charlotte, would you say that he is one of the most underrated players on this board right now?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Memphis, are you worried about opposing 2 guards you are going to face.  Rudy is a tough guy but he isn't known for his defense per say.  Besides Lopez in the paint what will you employ to deter teams from just attacking Rudy.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Nice presentation KC. I like your 8 man rotation and I think you've been overlooked some in the West. I think the TP and Mo backcourt will be pretty effective for stretches and between Bargs and Mo you have over 30 points of offense coming in off the bench.

Couple questions:
You're a big Bargnani fan. What do you think his ceiling is?

Who do you think will have a more successful year, Chandler or Rudy?

Will you ever trade Tony Parker from Memphis to the Lakers for his little brother and a bag of chips?

Do other people call Cook "Dae Dae" or is that your pet name for him solely?

You said you would be happy with Pau Gasol at #19. What did you like about him and if you could of paired Parker with him how successful do you think your team would be?

1. Think 22ppg 7.5 boards and 1.5 blocks

2. Chandler, he'll be a focal point on theoffense while Rudy is still producing off the bench.

3. Are they Bar-B-Que?

4. Thats D-Wade's name for him.

5. Pau Gasol is an extremely gifted PF with a championship pedigree. If I could have paired him with Parker therewould be no question as to us being a front runner. But If I could have paired him with Lopez andRussel Westbrook we'd be a lock for team of the future (this was my plan if we grabbed Gasol.)

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Memphis:

1) In looking at potential playoff squads, I have you ranked fairly close to two teams in your division -- Buffalo and Dallas -- as well as with Utah in the Northwest.  Why will your team finish higher than those three teams?

2) Mo Williams is a vocal guy.  How do you keep him happy in a reduced role?  If you play him together with Parker, how do you keep from being killed on defense?

3) Where does the interior toughness on your squad come from?  Lopez arguably has it (he was labeled soft coming out of school, but I think he dispelled that).  However, Diaw and Bargnani don't.  Do you have enough traditional bigs to compete in a half-court setting?

4) If you could make one improvement to your team, what would it be?

1) I think we're better than Dallas, not in pure talent but just in how that team fitss together. Its close between Buffalo and us, and I don't think unless Dunleavy comes back Utah hasenough to take us. So I'd definitely put us in the playoffs, especially since we win the division.

2) Mo Williams in a reduced role will be a lt like Jason Terry in a reduced ole, he comes off the bench but when he's in he's the focal point of the offense. As I said in the presser, Mo talks a lot, but its always about how good his team is. We'd love him to do tat kind of talking for us.

3)Lopez and DJ White

4)Better depth at the wing and slighlty better rebounding.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:26:10 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Memphis:

With Diaw averaging 15 points, 6 Rebounds and 5 Assists a game last year for Charlotte, would you say that he is one of the most underrated players on this board right now?

Mo Williams first, Diaw second.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:21 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Memphis, are you worried about opposing 2 guards you are going to face.  Rudy is a tough guy but he isn't known for his defense per say.  Besides Lopez in the paint what will you employ to deter teams from just attacking Rudy.

Rudy is 6-6 and can play SF on D, so if and opposing2-guard is shredding him we can switch Chandler on him. For example, if we were playing the 2009 lakers, Chandler would guard Kobe and Rudy Ariza. Rudy has the pure basketball talent to become a solid defender.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How long do you thin Diaw can hold onto his starting spot from Andrea Bargnani?

I would think his ability to shoot (which would open up more room for Parker to drive.  Think Bonner of Horry) would give him an advantage over Diaw.  You have enough playmaking in the starting lineup without him. 

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Memphis-I'd say you have a team that might do well in the regular season, even possibly as you say, winning the division. However due to your roster construction do you think you're going to flounder greatly in the playoffs?

DJ White and Brook Lopez can't possibly be expected to perform favorably as second year players, their first time in the playoffs, against the best offensive post players in the league (who are mostly in the West. Holla!). Once the pace slows down, and you need to re-evaluate whether or not Boris Diaw is helping or hurting you in the half court, it looks like you're going to be consistently out-rebounded.

Also, while I'm high on the potential of Chandler and Rudy F, I'm not as high on them right away. I actually like Mo Williams for you, and I think you're overlooking the benefits of running small with Mo AND Tony in the back court at the same time, and I do think that Tony Parker is capable of powering a team with flaws to the playoffs, as long as they can run (which yours can), I just don't know how far you're going to get if you get ot the post season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Another one for Memphis:

You described yourself as the team of the future.  Denver has similar aspirations.  Which team will be more successful in 2 to 3 years, and why?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

We can just end the 6th mn competition and give it to this man...

pst pst

see who holds the trophy.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bump.

I think the Southwest is sleeping in. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Agreed, not to many fireworks in this press conference
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Well it's still only 8:40/7:40 in the southwest.    ;) :)

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This question is for Memphis.

How are you going to survive in the tough West with many of the playoff teams having great big man combos and tough bench bigs when you have Diaw, a poor rebounding PF, Bargnani, A poor rebounding center, DJ White, a player with a history of 6 whole games, and Amundson, who will be lucky to get out of civilian clothes on most night? I see Lopez as you only tough minded, good rebounding big.

But how is Lopez, Diaw, Bargnani and White going to survive out West with these combos?

Oden/Love/Green/Haslem
Duncan/Toung/Martin/Bass Ratliff
Shaq/Jermaine/Miller/Turiaf/Lewis
Dirk/Kaman/Lopez/Songalia/Collison
Marion/Smith/Lee/Harrington/Dalembert
Okur/Boozer/Diop/Udoka
Big Al/Biedrins/Smith/Oberto
Howard/Jamison/Thornton/Pachulia

I just think you are going to be outrebounded on a nightly basis.

Here are some teams that got outrebounded regularly last year:

New York
Indiana
Clippers
Sacramento
Golden State
Memphis
New Jersey
Toronto
Washington

See a pattern?

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Your ‘09/’10 Dallas Maaaaavericks!!!!

“GgggggiddyUp!!!”

Starters:

At guard, from the University of Arizona, number 31…

Jason Terryyyyy

At forward, from University of Nevada/Las Vegas, number 7…

The Matrix…..Shawn Maarriiioooooon

At the center position, from the University of Florida, number 42…

David Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

At the other forward, from Oak Hill Academy(Hs.), number 5…

J-Smooooooooooove….Josh Smiiiiiiiiiith

And finally, at the other guard, from the University of California, number 2…

Your Captain….Jason Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidd

Complete Team Roster/Previous Year’s Statistics:

American Airlines Arena - Stable of the Dallas Mavericks

Draft Strategy:

Similar to many GMs, I had a tough decision to make when the Mavs’ Ping-Pong ball shot out at #23.  As Roy mentioned the other day, I saw roughly 15 or so players that had the capability of anchoring a championship team, and knowing that it would cost me most of my depth just to move up into that range, I decided to move my 1st pick and pick up several in exchange.  With my first pick at #38, I decided to take Josh Smith; for two reasons…a)I felt that the value on Smith was much higher then his drop in the draft indicated, and b) At 24 years old but with an adequate amount of playoff experience I knew I could still “win now” or go for a “future team” depending on how the draft went.

As the draft continued, I started to target a point guard who could accentuate the strengths of Smith’s game.  I began to notice quickly that “future teams” were reaching for their guys, thus allowing quality vets to slide further and further.  At that point I targeted Jason Kidd, who fell all the way down to me at pick 69 of the third round.  This selection was a no-brainer for me as it gave me quality leadership, stability, and a perfect PG for Smith.  It was after this selection that I saw my opportunity to create a very good “win now” team.

With two elite fast-paced players on the roster, I began to embrace the idea of an up-tempo team.  I surrounded Kidd and Smith with shooters and slashers in an attempt to develop that identity.  Through a series of drafts and trades, I think that this goal has been accomplished successfully.

Toughest Decision:

My toughest decision was the drafting of Shawn Marion over Trevor Ariza.

If you just look at the numbers and even based on how they looked last year, you would have to say Ariza is performing at a better level.  Ariza is a hustle guy, a tenacious defender, and can say he was one of the most important components to a championship team – add to that that Marion had one of his poorer statistical years and this decision of mine seems questionable.  Ultimately, what forced my hand for Marion was his experience in a system similar to the one we plan to run in Dallas.  His numbers are night and day when you compare his Phoenix and Miami/Toronto numbers.  Marion is only 2-years removed from putting up 16/10 while shooting 53% from the field and 35% from 3.  Considering he hasn’t suffered any nagging injuries, we in Dallas attribute his drop in numbers to his relocation into an entirely different system.  Although I understand that this team isn’t modeled quite like the Suns of a few years ago, Kidd can still push the ball just as well as Nash and defenses will be forced to respect the abilities of Terry to launch and won’t be able to turn their attention from Smith and Lee to help, thus allowing Marion copious amounts of room to operate.  Marion’s familiarity with our team’s agenda will be crucial to our team’s success.

Best Move:

Trades…period.

Essentially, I traded all of the following guys…

Murphy     
Stojacovic
Dampier
Blake
Wright
Claxton

For:

Lee
Harrington
Dalembert
Vujacic
Carter
Jennings
Singleton

Although I only gave up 6 bench players (including 2 who would essentially be spot-minute guys) in return I received the perfect starting center for our offense in Lee, the best reserve center in the league in Dalembert, a big-time scorer in Harrington, an ideal packup to Kidd in Anthony Carter, and the scrappy Vujacic for some rotational minutes.  Also in these dealings I acquired a terrific young asset in Brandon Jennings and a solid insurance policy in James Singleton.

Roster Breakdown and Player Expectations:

PG:

Although he was my second player taken, Kidd will be the undisputed captain and leader of this team.  As he goes, the Mavs go.  He’s coming off one of his more efficient seasons of his career and should be rejuvenated to the NJ Kidd where every game was a virtual highlight real with Carter/Jefferson.  We feel that the combo of Smith/Marion should be just as dynamic, if not more so.  Anthony Carter and Jennings will give Kidd his breather and both bring a different pace then the other.  Being a pass-first PG, we feel that our team won’t miss a beat when Carter checks in for Kidd.

SG:

I looked long and hard at acquiring another SG as to bring Terry off the bench to win his second-straight 6th man award.  I was VERY close to deals that would of brought in the likes of either Richardson/Bell/Butler, but ultimately the price was too high for me.  This could end up being a blessing in disguise as Terry should see a plethora of open looks trailing the plethora of fast breaks that this team creates.  Vujacic gives this team stability off the bench with his shooting.  We will run Daniels at the 2 on occasion when matchups dictate.

SF:

I’ve already expanded upon what we expect from Marion, which is nothing short of rejuvenation as well for the Matrix.  Marquis Daniels will see most of his action here, but Harrington and Smith are also options on the wing.  Without a doubt our forward positions are some of the deepest in the entire league.

PF:

Josh Smith should enjoy easy finishes and fast-break throw-downs galore with Kidd pushing the ball and the supporting cast keeping help defenders at bay.  Smith won’t be asked to score 25 a night, but if things play out as we anticipate we wouldn’t be surprised if Smith took that step.  Checking in for Smith will be Al Harrington, who is a scoring fiend.  He took the next leap in D’Antoni’s system last year.  A lot of his big numbers came out of position playing at C; he won’t be asked to do that as much but his ability to stretch the floor will be a huge asset for this club.  Marion could see some time here, as will Lee.  Madsen will be good for a few fouls, but his enthusiasm will add great chemistry to this team.

C:

David Lee should see his scoring numbers climb as opposing centers struggle to get up and down the floor with him and match his tenacity for rebounding the ball.  Dalembert off the bench is one of the best luxuries we could ask for.  His big body and defensive skills will be called upon often and his athleticism will allow us to maintain the same offensive agenda while Lee rests.

FAQs:

Q: “Sure, you may score 115 a night, but how will you keep opposing teams from 116?”

A:  Our offensive speed will translate into more points for both clubs, that’s a given.  What we plan to do is force the issue and force teams to play our style, which we don’t think many teams can match.  When we do need stops though, we would ask that CB not underestimate the defensive abilities of Kidd, Marion, Smith, and Lee.  These guys have received accolades for their defense/rebounding in the past and will be called upon to channel those efforts this year.  Off the bench we have tenacious defenders in Daniels, Dalembert, and Vujacic, who will be more then adequate defensive subs when the situation calls for it. When we need a stop in the half court, we have no reservations in a lineup of Dalembert, Smith/Lee, Marion, Daniels, Kidd/Vujacic.

Q: “1.6 seconds on the clock, down by one, who has the ball?”

A: This is one of the weaknesses that I won’t try to play around.  I do not have a LeBron/Kobe/Granger/Durant type of guy that 10/10 you want them with the ball in this situation.  What we will do is keep the ball in our playmakers hands, Jason Kidd.  The plan is not to iso Kidd but to run high pick and rolls with him and Smith/Marion/Lee or run Terry off a series of Reggie Miller/Ray Allen-like screens and get him a look.  If the play breaks down, we are comfortable with Kidd adlibbing.

Q: “Whom are you most concerned with in your division?”

A: While we feel that the SW Division is heavily laden with talent, we believe that the Rockets will give us the toughest test for a Divisional crown.  Their 3-headed monster of Bosh/Ellis/Johnson is formidable, but we feel like we have the talent and, in particular, the depth to battle with this team and ultimately defeat them in both the standings and in a head-to-head matchup.

Bottom Line:

A lot of GMs have spoken about “running,” or “fast breaking,” but the bottom line is that they just don’t have the complete personnel for it.  The Mavericks have the starting 5 and skilled reserves to play this speed and create mismatches and easy buckets because of it.  Moreover, the majority of our lineup has direct experience in these systems, therefore making the transition into the Dallas system virtually seamless.  However, teams that have a strong half-court presence will come to find that even at their speed, the size and ferocity of defenders like Dalembert/Lee/Smith and Marion will prove to be a difficult challenge at best.

I’d like to thank you for your time and attention, I highly anticipate the voting portion to see just how many of you see things the way we do in Dallas.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes