Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division  (Read 92748 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Northwest Division
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
My thoughts...

1) Portland - Just too many weapons to scheme against.  Team doesn't get enough credit for a terrific bench.  I see one or two starters missing a few chunks of games, but i see the bench as more then capable of keeping things afloat.

2) Utah - I really like this team.  Great vets, great leadership, great work ethic, and a solid supporting cast.  I have Portland at 1 but i doubt they or anyone else would want an early matchup with Utah.

3) Seattle - Terrific pillar in Duncan.  I do have concerns over Gordon's ball dominance but am a huge fan of Thad Young.  The pieces are there but i see them falling short of Utah in the Divisional standings by just a hair.  Again, a team few would want to see in the postseason with a microwave like Gordon and the pedigree of Duncan

4) Minny - As many have expressed, great effort in impossible circumstances.  i don't think this team is functional enough to make a ton of noise, but i think this team would be a bigtime spoiler for anyone they matched up with late in the season and who needed a few more W's to secure a spot.  Haven't taken a look at the entire West, but depending on how things shape up i could possibly see Minny sneaking into the playoffs.

5) The vet leadership of Haslem and Pietrus should help sheaperd the kids along, but i don't see this team competing for several more years.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My thoughts...

1) Portland - Just too many weapons to scheme against.  Team doesn't get enough credit for a terrific bench.  I see one or two starters missing a few chunks of games, but i see the bench as more then capable of keeping things afloat.

2) Utah - I really like this team.  Great vets, great leadership, great work ethic, and a solid supporting cast.  I have Portland at 1 but i doubt they or anyone else would want an early matchup with Utah.

3) Seattle - Terrific pillar in Duncan.  I do have concerns over Gordon's ball dominance but am a huge fan of Thad Young.  The pieces are there but i see them falling short of Utah in the Divisional standings by just a hair.  Again, a team few would want to see in the postseason with a microwave like Gordon and the pedigree of Duncan

4) Minny - As many have expressed, great effort in impossible circumstances.  i don't think this team is functional enough to make a ton of noise, but i think this team would be a bigtime spoiler for anyone they matched up with late in the season and who needed a few more W's to secure a spot.  Haven't taken a look at the entire West, but depending on how things shape up i could possibly see Minny sneaking into the playoffs.

5) The vet leadership of Haslem and Pietrus should help sheaperd the kids along, but i don't see this team competing for several more years.

I agree with this more actually. I think people are underselling Chauncey, and underselling Dirk, both of which were top 10 NBA players last year. On top of that there is a possibly healthy Dunleavy, Chris Caveman, and solid role players Collison, Wright, and Songalia.

Utah is probably the number 2 team in the division and a probably playoff team. I don't think talent wise they are too far from Portland.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I contacted Scribbles, to let him know his press conference is today.  I think Seattle and Utah are both very close (and both should be playoff teams), so I'd like some help in deciding.

In the interim:

Seattle, why will your team finish ahead of Utah?  How do your teams match up?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I contacted Scribbles, to let him know his press conference is today.  I think Seattle and Utah are both very close (and both should be playoff teams), so I'd like some help in deciding.

In the interim:

Seattle, why will your team finish ahead of Utah?  How do your teams match up?

Other point: DO you think Kaman can defend Duncan well enough to minimize your advantage in the post? Can Tim Duncan chase Dirk around, or will you rely on Kenyon to bully him out of his rhythm.

« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
when is the southwest press conference day tomorrow or wednesday?

The Southwest is tomorrow, and the Pacific best division is Wednesday.

::)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Starters

Chauncey Billups
Height: 6'3
Weight: 202

C.J. Miles
Height: 6'6
Weight: 227

Mike Dunleavy
Height: 6'9
Weight: 230

Dirk Nowitzki
Height: 7'0
Weight: 245

Chris Kaman
Weight: 265

Bench:

Nick Collison
Height: 6'10
Weight: 255

Ronald “Flip” Murray
Height: 6'3
Weight: 200

Antoine Wright
Height: 6'7
Weight: 215

Robin Lopez
Weight: 255

Goran Dragic
Height: 6'4
Weight: 180

Darius Songaila
Height: 6'9
Weight: 248

Mike James
Height: 6'2
Weight: 188

Yakhouba Diawara
Height: 6'7
Weight: 230

Alando Tucker
Height: 6'6
Weight: 205

Draft philosophy:  Before the draft lottery, I made the choice that if I had a pick in the top 20 I would build a win now team.  If I got 21 or below I would draft a future team.  I ended up with the 12th pick overall so it was clear to me I was going to get a really good player.   In all honesty, I had only one PG, CP3 in my top 25.  I had him slotted at 6th overall.  I think that you don't have to have a great point guard to be an elite team, you just have to have a good one, or one that fits your system.  So picking 12th I was going front court depending on who was there.  The only other player I was thinking at 12 was Brandon Roy.  Other than that I had my eyes on Duncan and Dirk.  Dirk obviously feel to me.  I ended up going against my draft rule of don't select a guard for the first two rounds and selected Billups, one because their was a run on PG's, and two I thought he was the type of player that can change a team's makeup to a more defensive orientated team.  After that it was all about filling the roster with players that fit with my two go-to-guys.  Also, one move I think that raised a few questions was when I selected Collison over a starting shooting guard or small forward.  One of my other philosophy's was go with best player on the board, rather than need, though I did break that rule with Billups as I mentioned. 

Toughest Decision:  Can't realy recall one.  I guess it was between taking Dirk and Brandon Roy, but I was leaning towards Dirk. 

Best/Worst Move:  Worst move was trading my 2nd and 3rd round picks for the late first round pick that ended up being Billups.  Don't get me wrong it did work out and I think he fits with my team, but I would have way better depth then I currently do and I think I have pretty good depth now.   Best move was standing pat and letting the draft come to me rather than trying to do a million trades and improve my team that way.  I only did one trade the whole draft, so that was by far my best move. 

2009-2010 Season Outlook:  Barring any major injuries, and if Dunleavy comes back anywhere near 100% I like my chances within the division and going far in the playoffs.  We've all seen that Billups can lead  a team to a championship and turn a good team round and make them an elite team.  Nowitzki has proven he can lead a team to a championship, he can comeback from a season that ended emphatically after huge promise, and he can go toe to toe against the elite big men.  Those are my two big guns, and together I think they can take the team pretty far. The talent around them is their for them to be able to flourish, its just a matter of health.  I can match-up with almost anyone in the league, because I have the combination of size and athleticism along with court savy in my players.  I have proven winners, and experience to be an elite team. (I think there is a handful of elite teams in the league currently)

« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
just from inside the division...portland is the team to beat...from there I think it is a crap shoot

« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Questions for Utah

1) Are you worried about your players being distracted by the Utah night life?

2) What's the status on Dirk's baby mama drama?

3) If you matched up with Seattle in the playoffs, who wins the series and why? If you matched up with Portland in the playoffs, who wins the series and why?

« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Utah,

1) With Mike Dunleavy out for the first couple months of the season, is the Miles / Wright swingman combo good enough to keep you afloat?

2) What is Chris Kaman's health status?  If he goes down, can Lopez step in?

3) Is Dragic a good enough distributor to spell Chauncey?

4) Why is your team better than Seattle or Minnesota?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
just from inside the division...portland is the team to beat...from there I think it is a crap shoot

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
when is the southwest press conference day tomorrow or wednesday?

The Southwest is tomorrow, and the Pacific best division is Wednesday.

::)

Must be her upper lip.

« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

I'm just going to say now, my preference is for more animated gifs next year.

Youtube mixes are overrated.

« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Word. My presser will not contain one youtube mix.

« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Questions for Minny
Kudos for taking over the Wolves in the second round
1)Did leaving the Grizz pose any conflicts of interest? Did KC make you sign a confidentiality agreement or an agreement not to draft Bargnani at least? :)

2) You chose Jameer Nelson and RJ to lead your team. I know you also liked Vince, but he was taken seconds before RJ.  It must have been a tough task picking your leaders in the middle of round two. Take us through the thought process that gave Minny Jammer and RJ over let's say the remaining 2nd rounders?

Emeka Okafor
 Manu Ginobilli
 Ben Gordon
 Brook Lopez
Jose Calderon
Andris Biedrins
 Andrew Bynum
 Paul Millsap
 Tyson Chandler
David Lee
 Gerald Wallace
  Monta Ellis

« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

Word. My presser will not contain one youtube mix.

Where does one find animated gifs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCQH8GMaZNQ