Author Topic: Welcome Shelden Williams (merged)  (Read 31638 times)

Re: Welcome Sheldon Williams (merged)
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I'm reading "this doesn't affect Davis status" as "throughout the offseason, the Celtics have wanted to sign and trade Davis now while his value is highest to pick up some other needed parts, and that's still the case." I'd strongly prefer Davis to Williams, but if we use Davis to upgrade the backup point or wing positions and bring Williams in to fill the 4th big spot vacated by Davis, I can handle it. If we keep em both and use Scal and TA to bring in help at the backup 3 or 1, I'm cool with that too.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
well a few things. we can see the team coming into focus now...i think that this guy is 500 times better than swift and POB. i think he can add some hustle and strength down low

PG Rondo, TBA, hudson
SG Ray, Eddie, Giddens, tony
SF PP, Daniels, walker
PF KG, baby, scal
C Perk, sheed, sheldon

i think that IF they sign bowen then walker and tony are gonzo

well, unless we trade Tony, he's going to at least be on the roster.

If we sign Bowen, I think Walker or Giddens spends a lot of time in the D-League, and Hudson may not even get on the team.  Hudson will probably be in the D-League regardless of whether he makes the team.

So the only remaining question marks are backup PG and resigning Glen Davis.  I'm pretty confident we are going to resign Glen - so who will be the backup PG?  Or will we even sign one?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 686
  • MASTER OF PANIC
tony needs to be dealt but nobody wants him. looks like he will prolly be kept until they figure out who wants his contracts. i would rather giddens more burn than tony but it is what it is. at this point i would rather get daniels, resign baby and let walker/tony/giddens spot the 3rd spot on the wing behind PP. bowen is too old. i think though in the end, danny is going to get daniels in a sign and trade he is going to have to give up tony and walker...

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline Riles335

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
It's not Sheldon's fault that he was a lottery pick, he is what he is. For those people that raved about what Leon brought, will see the same things from Sheldon. He is a banger down low that will throw his body around, use his fouls, and clean up on the offensive end. In his rookie year when he was given time as a starter for Atlanta, he was a very productive player. In starts during his rookie campaign he averaged close to a double-double in about 27 minutes of averaged time. I understand that he most likely won't receive starter minutes this year but it goes to show you that he can be successful with what he is given...very much like Leon. Giving the Celtics 4 points and 4 rebounds in ten minutes of time, the Celtics will be very happy.

This is a very cheap signing, gives the Celtics more flexibility, and offers another big man in the rotation. All things that we were still looking for, especially if Baby moves on. A very shrewd move by Danny.

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
it will be interesting to see what happens with baby. danny is going to match or sign and trade him. i dont see him letting him walk for free..i think it is interesting that we haven't heard any solid offers to baby yet. i honestly don't think there will be

and sheldon can do what noah, varajo do for their teams then this is a nice cheap signing

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
looks like a good project signing - i really liked seeing him play in college - if i recall he had good long arms to help overcome his height (which is still taller than davis & powe).

haven't seen much of him in the pros... but still seamed decent.

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think this sticks a fork into Hudson's chance.  (injury, lack of roster positions)

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I love this signing.  In 2006, I was PRAYING that the Wolves would find a way to get Williams because I thought he was the perfect big man to play next to KG: wide body, defensive minded, doesn't mind doing the dirty work.  Essentially, what I wanted/expected in a KG/Williams combo is what we eventually got out of the KG/Perkins combo.

I don't expect Williams to come here and actually BE Perk, but the potential is there.  They have similar size (Perk about an inch taller), they both have the disproportionally long arms, and on the court they have a similar mindset.  And if he got extended minutes next to KG and Wallace, I fully expect that Williams would make a competent fill-in rotation big.  Excellent insurance option.

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Now  its fun to pretend that we got Sheldon Williams and Rajon Rondo in the 2006 draft, just 3 years later.

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It's not Sheldon's fault that he was a lottery pick, he is what he is. For those people that raved about what Leon brought, will see the same things from Sheldon. He is a banger down low that will throw his body around, use his fouls, and clean up on the offensive end. In his rookie year when he was given time as a starter for Atlanta, he was a very productive player. In starts during his rookie campaign he averaged close to a double-double in about 27 minutes of averaged time. I understand that he most likely won't receive starter minutes this year but it goes to show you that he can be successful with what he is given...very much like Leon. Giving the Celtics 4 points and 4 rebounds in ten minutes of time, the Celtics will be very happy.

This is a very cheap signing, gives the Celtics more flexibility, and offers another big man in the rotation. All things that we were still looking for, especially if Baby moves on. A very shrewd move by Danny.

Good points all around.  In short -- Shelden plays inside, cleans up around the glass.  While on the floor he will be a nice complement to the more outside oriented bigs on the team (KG, SHeed, Scal).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think this sticks a fork into Hudson's chance.  (injury, lack of roster positions)

Yes, the 11-15 roles appear rather jammed:

Tony Allen
Scal
Sheldon Williams
Giddens
Walker

(maybe Bruce Bowen if one of the illustrious 11-15-ers go to Indy for Daniels)

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i still say one or two of the giddens/walker/allen will be traded somewhere..i think if there is a sign and trade for daniels...it will be tony and walker

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I loved him at Duke cause i am a huge duke fan but yeah i think he will be a decent player for the celts and working with our big men he will defiantly get better

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
He's a decent role player. I can't believe people are comparing him to POB. The guy has actually played in the NBA while POB has just ridden the pine.

I think one of TA or Scal + one of Walker/Giddens will be in Indy soon..

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Welcome, Sheldon!