Author Topic: 2010 target?  (Read 20586 times)

Re: 2010 target?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It'll be best player available as always with Danny.

He'll be picking somewhere between 28-30.  at that point, it's get the best player still on the board.
Need to revise my prior statement and bump this.

Putting a positive spin on the current malaise of the team, they could be picking as high as 20 at the rate they're going (maybe even higher).  It's not inconceivable at this point that they could be the 4th seed in the East (for that matter, they could lose the Atlantic division to Toronto and end up the 5th seed---I can't see them falling further than that even under the worst circumstances) and also end up behind 6 teams in the West (not likely to be more since that conference will have the best teams beating on each other for a while)

With a reasonably decent pick this coming Draft, odds are fairly decent that Danny can land a player in the 1st round that could be a contributor.  Not a starter next year or maybe the year after but quite possibly a 6th or 7th man type off the bench.  (not getting my hopes up Danny lands another quality starter that low in the draft like Rondo and Perk)

Thoughts?  Too much of a positive spin to put on the current state of the C's?

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

He'll be picking somewhere between 28-30.  at that point, it's get the best player still on the board.

Putting a positive spin on the current malaise of the team, they could be picking as high as 20 at the rate they're going (maybe even higher).  It's not inconceivable at this point that they could be the 4th seed in the East (for that matter, they could lose the Atlantic division to Toronto and end up the 5th seed---I can't see them falling further than that even under the worst circumstances) and also end up behind 6 teams in the West (not likely to be more since that conference will have the best teams beating on each other for a while)

With a reasonably decent pick this coming Draft, odds are fairly decent that Danny can land a player in the 1st round that could be a contributor.  Not a starter next year or maybe the year after but quite possibly a 6th or 7th man type off the bench.  (not getting my hopes up Danny lands another quality starter that low in the draft like Rondo and Perk)

If there a silver lining in the current state of the Celtics its that in a very deep draft if they can get up to about the 20th pick they could actually come away with an impact player that could be a major contributor to this team by 2012 when Perk and Rondo will be about the only other leftovers from this team

Personally if they could somehow get another pick from someone in this draft  by trading Davis and a boat load of cash for some team looking to sell of their pick, this is the year they really want to do it
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 07:39:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

If there a silver lining in the current state of the Celtics its that in a very deep draft if they can get up to about the 20th pick they could actually come away with an impact player that could be a major contributor to this team by 2012 when Perk and Rondo will be about the only other leftovers from this team

Personally if they could somehow get another pick from someone in this draft  by trading Davis and a boat load of cash for some team looking to sell of their pick, this is the year they really want to do it
I'm with you on Danny getting another pick.  Moving BBD wouldn't be a bad idea to do it.  I had hoped he'd move an expiring deal or two (primarily Scal)to land a 1st rounder from a team trying to also avoid having to sign a guaranteed contract for a draftee this coming year.

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:04 AM »

Offline hubert.the.potato

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
What about Vasquez?

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »

Offline ajgoodman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • 'Cause there ain't no fours!
How about snagging Gavin Edwards from UConn with a second rounder?  Legit 6'10 PF, soft touch, quick feet, solid defender, above average free throws for his size, and a solid mid range jumper.  He's not going to turn any heads but I think he could be a sleeper for a solid back up.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Jon Scheier from Dukeor Matt Bouldin from Gonzaga in second round

Doubt the Ebanks slips down for C's....how about Manny Harris of Michigan or, as mentioned earlier Pondexter

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Jon Scheier from Dukeor Matt Bouldin from Gonzaga in second round

Doubt the Ebanks slips down for C's....how about Manny Harris of Michigan or, as mentioned earlier Pondexter
not clear on the knicks trade but didn't Danny trade the 2nd round pick in that deal? 

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
What about Vasquez?
I have a friend VERY close to that Maryland team and he says Vasquez is not only not very smart but a bit of a head case

Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What about Vasquez?
I have a friend VERY close to that Maryland team and he says Vasquez is not only not very smart but a bit of a head case

Yeah I can see that, just from his demeanor on the court. I'm not sure he has NBA game either.

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
I dont think anyone we can draft with our pick is gonna yield a player who will sniff the court in the next 2 years.

We will prolly go the vet min route with players like Finley. Hopefully resign Nate, Tony, and possibly Ray. We do need a big who can actually rebound.

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »

Offline hubert.the.potato

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
What about Vasquez?

Well,he IS the 3rd in total points scored in the Terps history,and even if he is a little wacko,he can still play ball.A lot like Rodman maybe.AND he has passion.He and Rondo would make one of the fastest backcourts EVER

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
What about Vasquez?

Well,he IS the 3rd in total points scored in the Terps history,and even if he is a little wacko,he can still play ball.A lot like Rodman maybe.AND he has passion.He and Rondo would make one of the fastest backcourts EVER
And he is the EXACT type of player the Celtics will not go near

My friend has day in and day out interaction with that club

Vasquez is not coming here

He knows which teams scouts have been there and which haven't

Vasquez is not on the C's radar
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Danny has a pretty good track record drafting in the 20s. 

Perk, TA, D-West, Rondo: 3 rotation guys and 1 all-star.

Coincidentally, his misses tend to occur every other draft in which he has a 1st round pick.  Marcus Banks, Gerald Green, JR Giddens.  With Giddens out of his system, hopefully he'll strike gold this year.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
it looks like our team is built for the next two years.  who knows if ainge will extend ray for one year, more years, or what.

looking to the 2010 draft, im looking for that sg that can come in and be waiting in the wings at sg. 

i know we are 11 months out and expecting to draft very late, but this is the draft forum and its fun to look ahead.

what position do you see us looking to fill in the 2010 draft?

1. sg
2. pf
3. other?

SG
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Surprised there's not more traffic on this thread.  This 2010 pick is big for the C's as our free agent options are pretty limited, we need to start adding assets to package in trades or keep for the future.

From browsing Draft Express projected draft order, Damion James of Texas is my favorite target.  Hard-working athletic tweener who can rebound and defend at a high-level and hit the J.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri