Author Topic: Need help for an hypothetical trip to Boston  (Read 11758 times)

Re: Need help for an hypothetical trip to Boston
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hit the North End for at least three meals in three different Italian restaurants. You won't regret it.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281

We should contact group sales and do a CB Night at the garden! 

That's a great idea!
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

That's a great idea!

theres a lot of season ticket holders on here that would already be attending as well.

i know i have met a few cb'ers at games
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:09:42 AM by dark_lord »

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When you arrive to Boston, you only need to know two words: Ana's Taqueria.

mmm my favorite!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 11:43:18 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

That's a great idea!

theres a lot of season ticket holders on here that would already be attending as well.

i know i have met a few cb'ers at games

you still haven't taken me =( jk
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I think I would envision more easily the seats you're talking about when I will see the plan of the Garden.

This link will help you envision the view from various seats

http://www.seats3d.com/nba/boston_celtics/
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:08 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

mmm my favorite!

Beer Please..

two more very important words

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Thanks Prof. Clutch for the invitation, I appreciate it. I'm not sure already if I will be coming to Boston but I clearly would visit you with pleasure.

Thanks cdif for the advises and thanks Fatkits for the 3D seats viewer, very helpful!

I'm going on holidays for more than a month, starting today, and I won't have access to the Internet before some time so I won't be able to follow CB for a while, so thanks by advance for the future advices that you may be posting.

I will try to see if I can do the trip to Boston at another period (maybe late november), as it seems that February isn't the ideal month of the year to visit the city.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 06:14:28 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

TP.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 06:31:28 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
- Would there be a legal problem with my age? I would do the trip on my own. To book an hotel, to visit, etc. I'm 19, I've reached the majority in my country (18), but it's 21 in the USA so I wonder if it could be an "obstacle".
Not for getting a hotel, but you can kiss dreams of getting alcohol and renting cars goodbye. That being said, Boston has enough to see without needing a car.

- The main goal would be to attend Celtics games. Of course I would visit the city of Boston too, but my priority would be to attend Celtics games in the Garden. I know it sounds foolish to make such a big trip to attend basketball games, and it probably is truly foolish but hey, I really want to do it, I think it's a kind of a "once in a lifetime experience" and I want to experience it with the current Celtics team.
Here's my tip. I've been going to a lot of games now, but if you're a good ebay-er, REALLY ebay for tickets. The best deals, and I haven't been scammed yet (I've went to watch 15 games last year including 2 playoff games, and my tickets are almost always cheaper than those of my friends).

- The estimated date of the trip would probably be around the end of January or the beginning of February, since it would correspond to my college holidays and to the NBA season. Is it the best period for NBA games? I know there is the risk of injuries, but what period is considered the best for NBA games?
I've always found the best to be after the all-star game when teams make their push, and when rosters are finalized. However, Celtics games are good year long. YOu don't have to worry about that

- Boston is known as a cold city, but is it really THAT cold? I guess so, especially in February, but you certainly know better than me.
It is VERY cold. I'm from Hong Kong (and I'm guessing as a French person you figure things in celcius) but our low peak was -26C. When you live here, you get used to it fast, but yes, it is very cold.

- Do you know some places (hotels, restaurants) where I could go and not pay too much? Since I would probably benefit from a special offer, I wouldn't have to pay the flight tickets so I would have more budget at my disposal, but still not so much, so...
It's a college town, so there are a lot of cheap diners and foodlers around, especially restaurants near the BU and BC campuses. Also, places like California Pizza Kitchen and Cheesecake Factory are pound for pound really good (huge portions), and there's always a chance of bumping into Big Baby if it's the one in Prudential.

- I will know what locations are to visit after reading a guide but what places should really be seen by tourists in Boston, in your opinion?
North End is good. Quincy Markets also very fun. I'm a huge seafood fan, and the legal seafoods on the harbour is great since they let you pick fresh fish.

- Where are the best seats of the Garden, who put you near the court while staying affordable? Are courtside seats too costly?
For a big market, prices are good, especially for bad games and again on Ebay. I had row 15 of opposing team entrance section for a Knicks game for just $40 per. Even for the good games, you can get decent lower level tickets for under $100. For almost every game, you can definitely get $40-50 tickets for upper section center, which I've always found is great. The fans in the upper deck are also a lot better (section 4 in my opinion is the worst, only because everyone there is too old to cheer).

- Is it true that players from the team always sign autographs and meet fans before games? I've heard it somewhere but I don't know if it's true or not.
Paul Pierce signs autographs before team meetings, but this is WAY before the game (around 4pm during a 8pm game). Most players do not however, unless you have box seat tickets (again, not always that expensive on ebay). Box seat tickets allow you to enter the game 2 hours in advance and have buffet with drinks where some Celtics legends show up, and players may or may not be there. This is called the "legends pass". I've only had a legends pass once, but I did see Jo Jo White, Tommy Heinson and Mikki Moore.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Oh and Ana's Taqueria is awesome. The pulled pork is the best thing there imo.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Hit the North End for at least three meals in three different Italian restaurants. You won't regret it.

Just to add to this since I live in the North End here is a list of all the restaurants in the North End that you can check out the prices beforehand since you are on a budget

http://www.northendboston.com/dining-restaurants.htm

For a 19 year old I would recommend the original Pizzeria Regina for a pregame meal before the Celtics game.  Usually a long line before games to give you a heads up but it's great pizza.  If you want a quick lunch Dino's has the best subs around in my opinion. 

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
After a detailed comparison between the Celtics schedule and my own college schedule, I can now envision quite clearly my trip, but I still have numerous questions so please feel free to answer it and thus help me.

Finally, I won't go to Boston in February, that's for sure. The C's are on a West coast road trip when I'm in vacation during this period, and it would have been too cold anyway, and would have lack events/stuff to see/do according to your answers.

So, my trip would take place from the 30th of October (arrival date, in the morning or early morning) until the 2nd of November (departure date). It would be a three day trip, starting on Friday, and finishing on Monday (departure in the early afternoon or late morning I think).

Thus, I would visit Boston during the week end and attend two interesting C's games (Chicago @ Boston on Friday and New Orleans @ Boston on Sunday). In my ideal scenario, I would come earlier in the week (Wednesday morning) to attend the opening game of the Garden but I don't think I will be able to come this early, budget wise and "college wise" (I will have to miss classes any way to come during this period).

Also, I have found an interesting website (starthereboston.com) and an hotel which seems perfectly located, though a little expensive according to my initial budget. Here are infos on the hotel's location and rates : http://travel.ian.com/hotel/propertydetails/163178/SUMMARY?isHRN=true&travelDetail=[20091030-3]1&cid=158261

The estimated price of the hotel for 3 nights is $438. What do you guys think about it? I find it a very interesting price since the hotel seems really nice and very well located, while not too costly, especially if you consider that I won't pay the flight tickets thanks to a promotion and that my overall budget (hotel + restaurant + C's tickets) would be from $1450 to $2100.

Also, the area attraction sound great to me : Downtown Crossing Shopping: 1 block
Old State House: 2 blocks
Faneuil Hall: 2 blocks
Quincy Market: 2 blocks
Post Office Square: 2 blocks
Chinatown: 3 blocks
Theater District: 3 blocks
Boston Common: 0.5 mile
Freedom Trail: 0.5 mile
New England Aquarium: 0.5 mile
Boston Convention and Exposition Center: 1.0 mile

I like to walk and visit cities while avoiding transportations as much as possible.

A lot of attraction sound great (the aquarium, some museums - the african american history museum for example -) and the area seems perfect for walks (on the docks, in the garden, in the financial district, etc).

So, your thoughts on my ideas are welcome, and I also have a few questions :

- Is there any other way than the Club Green one to buy Celtics tickets a few days before they go one sale? Do you know if I can receive the tickets while being located in France?

- Do you know some restaurants/bars in the area nearby (or in) the Financial District? Is this whole area (as you can see it on the map attached to the link I posted above) expensive overall or interesting for my age and budget?

That's the two only questions I have in mind right now, and once again I would be glad to benefit from your knowledge of the city if you want to help me. :)

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
A hotel in that price range in the financial district won't be luxurious, but it will probably suffice.

Restaurants:  Sultan's Kitchen, 116 State Street (Turkish, Middle Eastern)

Rabia's, Salem Street in the North End (short walk from the TD Banknorth Garden)  Italian, seafood, not cheap but good.

Union Oyster House-- Touristy, but there's alot of history there.

There is a good Japanese restaurant on Broad Street but the name escapes me.

Try Chinatown one night.  Plenty of good places there, Chinese of course.

Stay away from the restaurants around Faneuil Hall.  Tourist traps.  Stay away from the bar at the Hampshire House (where the popular TV show "Cheers" was filmed).  Another tourist trap.

If you want to spend alot of money to eat, there are plenty of expensive restaurants in the financial district too.

Downtown Crossing isn't all it's cracked up to be. The convention/exposition center is in South Boston, a long walk. Not worth it unless there's an exposition that interests you.

But the aquarium and Boston Common are definitely worth seeing. If you walk across the common try Beacon Hill, which will remind you of a European city with cobblestoned streets and gas lights. Very exclusive residential area.

I'd suggest going down to Rowe's Wharf and checking out the harbor cruises.  The weather should be fine in October. Also, if you are arriving at Logan before 10 pm local time, don't take a cab from the airport.  Take the water taxi to Rowe's wharf instead (there is a shuttle bus that will take you there from your terminal). Great view of the harbor and skyline. Rowe's wharf is 5 minute walk from Post Office Square, which is the heart of the financial district.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:58:38 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61
Wed, Feb 03    Miami @ Boston 8:00 PM ET
Fri, Feb 05    New Jersey @ Boston 7:30 PM ET
Sun, Feb 07    Orlando @ Boston 2:30 PM ET
Tue, Feb 23    New York @ Boston 7:30 PM ET
Thu, Feb 25    Cleveland @ Boston 8:00 PM ET
Sat, Feb 27    New Jersey @ Boston 1:00 PM ET

The celtics have a pretty long road trip in februay...
pretty sure you noticed it yourself already but a little heads-up nonetheless...

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
North End, South End, Back Bay

Great food in all areas!