Author Topic: Mini-Golf / Putt Putt  (Read 19113 times)

Mini-Golf / Putt Putt
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:58:59 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
as you all probably know, I enjoy mini-golf...

I'm thinking about writing a book (more a pictoral essay with the help of a photographer friend) on the history of and current state of mini-golf, with some of the most bizarre and interesting courses highlighted.  Just wondering if anyone has come across anything in their travels worth visiting?

I know what's going on the cover...

When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Mini-Golf / Putt Putt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
as you all probably know, I enjoy mini-golf...

I'm thinking about writing a book (more a pictoral essay with the help of a photographer friend) on the history of and current state of mini-golf, with some of the most bizarre and interesting courses highlighted.  Just wondering if anyone has come across anything in their travels worth visiting?

I know what's going on the cover...

Lake George NY. Look it up, best putt putt course ever.

Followed by ALexandria bay

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
You know, I think that book would do well. Nostalgia is very popular right now. Who doesn't remember how big those dinosaurs, clowns, boats, indians whatever were when tehy were kids, with a club smaller than the one your parents held, but an exact replica. Nobody remembers the scores, they only remember the giant dinosaurs.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
There's a pretty popular mini-golf course in Koh Samui, Thailand, though it was more based on gimmicky physics than gimmicky characters (things like having the hole on a slanted hill side so u have to hit it upwards and hope it rolls down into it).
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline Dirk

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd buy that book  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WswxMmjr26o&fmt=18

;D I was going to post something related to Happy Gilmore right after looking at the threads' name but you beat me to it!

"It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips..."
"Somebody's cloooooooosseeeeerrrrrr"
the team to beat...
a force to reckon with...
just pick your poison.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This course is not that great, but is pretty famous because it's been in Gatlinburg, TN for 25+ years.

Hillbilly Golf Gatlinburg attractions - Ride the incline 300 feet above the city and play the world's most unusual miniature golf course called Hillbilly Golf. It features two 18-hole courses with challenging mountain hazards. Phone 865-436-7470

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline RayRay4MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Ill be back in a week. Add me on facebook
This course is not that great, but is pretty famous because it's been in Gatlinburg, TN for 25+ years.

Hillbilly Golf Gatlinburg attractions - Ride the incline 300 feet above the city and play the world's most unusual miniature golf course called Hillbilly Golf. It features two 18-hole courses with challenging mountain hazards. Phone 865-436-7470

I've been there a couple of years ago. It's all fun until you get smacked with a friend trying to "drive" the ball :(.

Courtesy of Reggies Ghost. Thank you!

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny enough, the most challenging mini-golf course I have ever been to is in Lancaster, Mass (and I live in Tampa- aka, just outside of Orlando). It is a collection of 18 holes modeled after popular PGA tour event holes. It definitely isn't overly goofy or creative, but it is certainly solid and very memorable...

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
If you ever find yourself in Myrtle Beach, SC for any reason, check out some of the courses around there - there are a bunch of them, and their prices are all low to stay competitive with each other. 

It's been about 5 years since I've been in that area, and I don't remember which ones are best.  Still, it's worth a look around if you end up there on vacation at some point.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline RayRay4MVP

• Jrue Holiday
Funny enough, the most challenging mini-golf course I have ever been to is in Lancaster, Mass (and I live in Tampa- aka, just outside of Orlando). It is a collection of 18 holes modeled after popular PGA tour event holes. It definitely isn't overly goofy or creative, but it is certainly solid and very memorable...
Cool! I'm gonna be there in a few weeks. Can I get the name of it?

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I would like to state for the record that hold the course record on a now demolished course, -19. I worked there for 2 summers. Tell your gf's you know me, the name is Dave.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I would like to state for the record that hold the course record on a now demolished course, -19. I worked there for 2 summers. Tell your gf's you know me, the name is Dave.

We toss around words like 'greatness', and 'unparelleled excellence' so much these days. It is a pleasure and an honor to finally talk to someone deserving of words like those.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It is called Lancaster Golf Center (they have an award winning driving range and a pretty good par 3 course, too). It is right off of route 2 (you can see it), but the address is 438 Old Union Turnpike.

I will say they could have done a better job overall with the place to make it 'amazing'- they have stupid concrete sand traps (instead or real sand) and in the spring/fall, the water features are less than impressive. Overall, it is definitely a VERY challenging course, though (all are par 3s, 4s, and 5s) and it is neat to see smaller versions of real holes...

As another poster said, courses in Myrtle Beach [and also down here in FL] are more extravagant- just thought this one was unique and decent for the New England area (I just moved down here last month after living in the Boston area for 29 1/2 years- my whole life).

I LOVE mini-golf, so tp to cdif911 for starting the thread...would love to read your 'upcoming' book.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »

Offline RayRay4MVP

• Jrue Holiday

It is called Lancaster Golf Center (they have an award winning driving range and a pretty good par 3 course, too). It is right off of route 2 (you can see it), but the address is 438 Old Union Turnpike.

I will say they could have done a better job overall with the place to make it 'amazing'- they have stupid concrete sand traps (instead or real sand) and in the spring/fall, the water features are less than impressive. Overall, it is definitely a VERY challenging course, though (all are par 3s, 4s, and 5s) and it is neat to see smaller versions of real holes...

As another poster said, courses in Myrtle Beach [and also down here in FL] are more extravagant- just thought this one was unique and decent for the New England area (I just moved down here last month after living in the Boston area for 29 1/2 years- my whole life).

I LOVE mini-golf, so tp to cdif911 for starting the thread...would love to read your 'upcoming' book.
TP for you :). I may go check it out if I have the time.