Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 69162 times)

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/17/10
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 2654
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

One quick note before I get into things...I was blissfully way off on my posting in April regarding the Celtics and their ballyhooed "on switch".

I love the NFL.  Love the 16 game regular season where every game means a lot.  I love the weekly build up for Sunday's battles.  I even love Monday Night Football (though not nearly as much as I used to).

What I can't stand, and could really give a poop about, is the preseason silliness.  It just holds no interest to me.  I care less about individual players in the NFL then any other sport.  The helmets and the uniforms make everyone look the same to me.  It's the teams that matter more to me.  With that in mind I don't care enough to see 3rd stringers duke it out in the preseason games.

Preseason games stink.  The coaches don't want to "show anything" so they don't let their starters do much (or play much).  And yet, the presentation of NFL Preseason games on TV is very much like the regular season.  The games mean diddly but the hype is 100%.  I guess the proof is the pudding though.  NFL Preseason ratings are routinely better than other major sports' playoff ratings.  The NFL rules TV, and the stadiums are all packed to the gills with fans who are roped into buying preseason tickets as part of a season ticket package.  Money, money, money....And for all the money they're making, the owners plan on a lockout next year.  Blehhh.

On a happier note; one thing I do like about the preseason these days are the extended mixed camps with the two teams meeting for a game on the weekend.  There, I said something nice.

Media
Wrastlin'

Last night was an off night for TV.  By "off" I don't mean I took the drastic measure of turning my TV off, just that I didn't find much to watch.

Last week I finally entered the wonderful world of HDTV.  I now have a whole bunch of lovely, crisp new stations to choose from.  Most of them complete junk, but the newness of them keeps me flipping mindlessly on a night where there's no Sox game or Futurama (my obsession of late).  

So, I stumbled upon WWE Monday Night Raw.  It had been years since I'd been roped into the theater some good ol' choreographed muscley men running around and jabbering away in the ring.  The last time I was hooked on wrestling was during The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin's hay days.  Back then it was quite simply the most entertaining thing on TV.  Like any good thing though it ran its course and Vince McMahon over-saturated us with the shenanigans, even going so far as to throw He Hurt Me and the XFL down our throats.

What I loved about last nights viewing was that I was able to pick up the plot lines within minutes despite not knowing any of the characters.  There was the drama of the potential break up team Nexus (I guess they rule things now in some sort of side faction that wears black shirts with a big yellow N on them).  Then there was the tantalizing prospect of Hit Man Hart, despite being all decrepit, coming out of retirement to settle a score with a young Nexus buck.  I should have known better than to get my hopes up.  Vince McMahon still has it out for Hart (or was he actually looking out for him) and canceled the match through an often used "email from the manager".

Times have changed in wrestling.  I miss the Hulskster, and Macho Man, and even Chief J Strongbow and George the Animal Steel.  Still, for one night it was fun to revisit the mindlessness of it all.  

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

I'm pushing on 42 years on this planet and for the first time I'm starting to feel a generational gap where I just don't seem to get the attraction to certain things.  Some of it can't even be chalked up to age, as much as a mindset.  Most of what makes me feel this way revolves around SmartPhones, texting, and the constant need to be plugged into portable devices.

I own a cell phone.  I use it.  I receive occasional texts, but have yet to send one back.  I love the internet, Facebook, checking in on my Fantasy teams, email, and of course CelticsBlog.  I understand the attraction.  What I don't get is the inability to turn these devices off, or at least place out of sight when their users are confronted with actual face to face human interaction.

Texting has fundamentally changed the way we are communicating and interacting, and I just don't get it.  I've been working as a waiter at a nice restaurant this summer.  I can't give you an exact percentage, but off the top of my head I'd say 50% of all of customers keep their SmartPhones on the table during their dinner.  Most of these people spend at least some portion of their dinner using the devices.

In addition to the food, a large part of going out to dinner is sharing the company the people you are seated with.  Can't the rest of the world wait an hour while you give the people present your attention?

The other day I saw a young girl on a moped tapping away on her phone while riding.  

It's not going to go away and I've come to grips with it, I just am befuddled by the amount of people who think this an OK thing.  

Is it me getting old, or just having a different set of standards of communications etiquette?

And the there's this...next rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdpJlZ07u4

Love to see we were ion the same channel yesterday

literally

;D

Great post as always
tp

I missed the tail end of Raw.  Did the last Nexus dude lose to what's his name?

GOCELTS

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 444
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

One quick note before I get into things...I was blissfully way off on my posting in April regarding the Celtics and their ballyhooed "on switch".

I love the NFL.  Love the 16 game regular season where every game means a lot.  I love the weekly build up for Sunday's battles.  I even love Monday Night Football (though not nearly as much as I used to).

What I can't stand, and could really give a poop about, is the preseason silliness.  It just holds no interest to me.  I care less about individual players in the NFL then any other sport.  The helmets and the uniforms make everyone look the same to me.  It's the teams that matter more to me.  With that in mind I don't care enough to see 3rd stringers duke it out in the preseason games.

Preseason games stink.  The coaches don't want to "show anything" so they don't let their starters do much (or play much).  And yet, the presentation of NFL Preseason games on TV is very much like the regular season.  The games mean diddly but the hype is 100%.  I guess the proof is the pudding though.  NFL Preseason ratings are routinely better than other major sports' playoff ratings.  The NFL rules TV, and the stadiums are all packed to the gills with fans who are roped into buying preseason tickets as part of a season ticket package.  Money, money, money....And for all the money they're making, the owners plan on a lockout next year.  Blehhh.

On a happier note; one thing I do like about the preseason these days are the extended mixed camps with the two teams meeting for a game on the weekend.  There, I said something nice.

Media
Wrastlin'

Last night was an off night for TV.  By "off" I don't mean I took the drastic measure of turning my TV off, just that I didn't find much to watch.

Last week I finally entered the wonderful world of HDTV.  I now have a whole bunch of lovely, crisp new stations to choose from.  Most of them complete junk, but the newness of them keeps me flipping mindlessly on a night where there's no Sox game or Futurama (my obsession of late).  

So, I stumbled upon WWE Monday Night Raw.  It had been years since I'd been roped into the theater some good ol' choreographed muscley men running around and jabbering away in the ring.  The last time I was hooked on wrestling was during The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin's hay days.  Back then it was quite simply the most entertaining thing on TV.  Like any good thing though it ran its course and Vince McMahon over-saturated us with the shenanigans, even going so far as to throw He Hurt Me and the XFL down our throats.

What I loved about last nights viewing was that I was able to pick up the plot lines within minutes despite not knowing any of the characters.  There was the drama of the potential break up team Nexus (I guess they rule things now in some sort of side faction that wears black shirts with a big yellow N on them).  Then there was the tantalizing prospect of Hit Man Hart, despite being all decrepit, coming out of retirement to settle a score with a young Nexus buck.  I should have known better than to get my hopes up.  Vince McMahon still has it out for Hart (or was he actually looking out for him) and canceled the match through an often used "email from the manager".

Times have changed in wrestling.  I miss the Hulskster, and Macho Man, and even Chief J Strongbow and George the Animal Steel.  Still, for one night it was fun to revisit the mindlessness of it all.  

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

I'm pushing on 42 years on this planet and for the first time I'm starting to feel a generational gap where I just don't seem to get the attraction to certain things.  Some of it can't even be chalked up to age, as much as a mindset.  Most of what makes me feel this way revolves around SmartPhones, texting, and the constant need to be plugged into portable devices.

I own a cell phone.  I use it.  I receive occasional texts, but have yet to send one back.  I love the internet, Facebook, checking in on my Fantasy teams, email, and of course CelticsBlog.  I understand the attraction.  What I don't get is the inability to turn these devices off, or at least place out of sight when their users are confronted with actual face to face human interaction.

Texting has fundamentally changed the way we are communicating and interacting, and I just don't get it.  I've been working as a waiter at a nice restaurant this summer.  I can't give you an exact percentage, but off the top of my head I'd say 50% of all of customers keep their SmartPhones on the table during their dinner.  Most of these people spend at least some portion of their dinner using the devices.

In addition to the food, a large part of going out to dinner is sharing the company the people you are seated with.  Can't the rest of the world wait an hour while you give the people present your attention?

The other day I saw a young girl on a moped tapping away on her phone while riding.  

It's not going to go away and I've come to grips with it, I just am befuddled by the amount of people who think this an OK thing.  

Is it me getting old, or just having a different set of standards of communications etiquette?

literally

;D

Great post as always
tp

John Cena, yes he lost and because ...youre with nexus or youre against us......... averybody on his team kick his behind
I think this is the end of a short living nexus, just used to promote sumerslam, after this week every week one of them will lose and some other thing will happend
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

Media
Wrastlin'

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

literally

;D

Great post as always
tp

John Cena, yes he lost and because ...youre with nexus or youre against us......... averybody on his team kick his behind
I think this is the end of a short living nexus, just used to promote sumerslam, after this week every week one of them will lose and some other thing will happend

Well that was, ahem, predictable.

I was so out of practice that actually had my hopes up to see what Hit Man Hart had left in him.

GOCELTS

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 2336
Funny Post, Redz - and thanks!

I feel you - especially on the "I out-of-touch", lol....reminds me of when my wife and I brought our oldest son his first  cell phone last Christmas. We'd been holding out until he got a little older.

Well, he certainly enjoyed his new toy - texting me, my wife, and his friends many, many times that day - half of his messages were his "electronic celebrations" of the Celtics' improbable win that day.

Times certainly have changed - I agree with you there. From when I joined the service way back in 89, til now? I feel like I've stepped out of a time machine ;D. It does seem like a generational gap or something.

I was not even aware of a "CelticsBlog" until about 3 years ago. I stumbled across this site from Celtics.com, which I had used as my default browser since 2005.

NFL? Well, for the first time in many, many years, there is hope in Redskins Land. It is funny how a pre-season blowout of the Buffalo Bills can create this much excitement around here. McNabb does seem in control of things, so this is a good thing.

The Bonus here? Albert Haynesworth even said that he is beginning to like Shanahan's "3-4" defense, thank God. We get that big fella onboard, and we're all set. He demands so much attention from opponents' offensive line.

In a strange way, McNabb may turn out to be my NFL version of The Boston Celtic's Summer of 2007.

"Wrasslin'"? haha - I haven't watched that since the days of Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair (when his hair was blond), Junkyard Dog, Baron Von Raski. It was entertainment even then, but as a young child it seemed so real back then. Yes, George Steel was a good one, too.

Thanks again for your rants!
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Funny Post, Redz - and thanks!

I feel you - especially on the "I out-of-touch", lol....reminds me of when my wife and I brought our oldest son his first  cell phone last Christmas. We'd been holding out until he got a little older.

Well, he certainly enjoyed his new toy - texting me, my wife, and his friends many, many times that day - half of his messages were his "electronic celebrations" of the Celtics' improbable win that day.

Times certainly have changed - I agree with you there. From when I joined the service way back in 89, til now? I feel like I've stepped out of a time machine ;D. It does seem like a generational gap or something.

I was not even aware of a "CelticsBlog" until about 3 years ago. I stumbled across this site from Celtics.com, which I had used as my default browser since 2005.

NFL? Well, for the first time in many, many years, there is hope in Redskins Land. It is funny how a pre-season blowout of the Buffalo Bills can create this much excitement around here. McNabb does seem in control of things, so this is a good thing.

The Bonus here? Albert Haynesworth even said that he is beginning to like Shanahan's "3-4" defense, thank God. We get that big fella onboard, and we're all set. He demands so much attention from opponents' offensive line.

In a strange way, McNabb may turn out to be my NFL version of The Boston Celtic's Summer of 2007.

"Wrasslin'"? haha - I haven't watched that since the days of Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair (when his hair was blond), Junkyard Dog, Baron Von Raski. It was entertainment even then, but as a young child it seemed so real back then. Yes, George Steel was a good one, too.

Thanks again for your rants!

George the Animal was about as believable as it got.  Chewing up the corner pads and bleeding all over the place.  Maybe time has skewed my memory.  

Thank goodness for YouTube...Yup, totally believable  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwX9QkgHtQ&feature=related

Skins should at least be able to put the ball in the end zone now and then this year.  But yeh, preseason blowouts mean zippo.

GOCELTS

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
    • Realeyez Independent Cinema
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

I love the NFL.  Love the 16 game regular season where every game means a lot.  I love the weekly build up for Sunday's battles.  I even love Monday Night Football (though not nearly as much as I used to).

What I can't stand, and could really give a poop about, is the preseason silliness.  It just holds no interest to me.  I care less about individual players in the NFL then any other sport.  The helmets and the uniforms make everyone look the same to me.  It's the teams that matter more to me.  With that in mind I don't care enough to see 3rd stringers duke it out in the preseason games.

Preseason games stink.  The coaches don't want to "show anything" so they don't let their starters do much (or play much).  And yet, the presentation of NFL Preseason games on TV is very much like the regular season.  The games mean diddly but the hype is 100%.  I guess the proof is the pudding though.  NFL Preseason ratings are routinely better than other major sports' playoff ratings.  The NFL rules TV, and the stadiums are all packed to the gills with fans who are roped into buying preseason tickets as part of a season ticket package.  Money, money, money....And for all the money they're making, the owners plan on a lockout next year.  Blehhh.

On a happier note; one thing I do like about the preseason these days are the extended mixed camps with the two teams meeting for a game on the weekend.  There, I said something nice.

Media
Wrastlin'

Last night was an off night for TV.  By "off" I don't mean I took the drastic measure of turning my TV off, just that I didn't find much to watch.

Last week I finally entered the wonderful world of HDTV.  I now have a whole bunch of lovely, crisp new stations to choose from.  Most of them complete junk, but the newness of them keeps me flipping mindlessly on a night where there's no Sox game or Futurama (my obsession of late). 

So, I stumbled upon WWE Monday Night Raw.  It had been years since I'd been roped into the theater of some good ol' choreographed muscley men running around and jabbering away in the ring.  The last time I was hooked on wrestling was during The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin's hay days.  Back then it was quite simply the most entertaining thing on TV.  Like any good thing though it ran its course and Vince McMahon over-saturated us with the shenanigans, even going so far as to throw He Hurt Me and the XFL down our throats.

What I loved about last nights viewing was that I was able to pick up the plot lines within minutes despite not knowing any of the characters.  There was the drama of the potential break up of team Nexus (I guess they rule things now in some sort of side faction that wears black shirts with a big yellow N on them).  Then there was the tantalizing prospect of Hit Man Hart, despite being all decrepit, coming out of retirement to settle a score with a young Nexus buck.  I should have known better than to get my hopes up.  Vince McMahon still has it out for Hart (or was he actually looking out for him) and canceled the match through an often used "email from the manager".

Times have changed in wrestling.  I miss the Hulskster, and Macho Man, and even Chief J Strongbow and George the Animal Steel.  Still, for one night it was fun to revisit the mindlessness of it all.   

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

I'm pushing on 42 years on this planet and for the first time I'm starting to feel a generational gap where I just don't seem to get the attraction to certain things.  Some of it can't even be chalked up to age, as much as a mindset.  Most of what makes me feel this way revolves around SmartPhones, texting, and the constant need to be plugged into portable devices.

I own a cell phone.  I use it.  I receive occasional texts, but have yet to send one back.  I love the internet, Facebook, checking in on my Fantasy teams, email, and of course CelticsBlog.  I understand the attraction.  What I don't get is the inability to turn these devices off, or at least place out of sight when their users are confronted with actual face to face human interaction.

Texting has fundamentally changed the way we are communicating and interacting, and I just don't get it.  I've been working as a waiter at a nice restaurant this summer.  I can't give you an exact percentage, but off the top of my head I'd say 50% of all of customers keep their SmartPhones on the table during their dinner.  Most of these people spend at least some portion of their dinner using the devices.

In addition to the food, a large part of going out to dinner is sharing the company the people you are seated with.  Can't the rest of the world wait an hour while you give the people present your attention?

Redz,
so glad to read another installment of your rants.  I will continue to say that I think you have a talent for writing, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a monthly "Redz Rants around the NBA" where you take on some aspect of the NBA and break it down.

1.  I too can't really get down with preseason, and in general have fallen off the wagon the last few years with the Pats.  I mean, I followed them during their pursuit for the perfect season, but after they fell short I think it took some of the thrill away for me.  Last year I barely caught a game.  I dunno, it's not just the preseason for me anymore, I need something to get me amped up and back behind the Pats again.  Still, despite writing all of this, it doesn't change the fact that I did indeed tune in anxiously for the first quarter of the Pats preseason game the other night.

2.  I was a huge wrestling fan myself, but my fandom came in two periods of my life...when I was very young and entranced by the likes of Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Andre the Giant, and the Undertaker, then I fell off wrestling for many years but became a fan again during the Stone Cold/Rock years.  Wrestling was really fun to watch back then, although I'm embarrassed to acknowledge that when I catch glimpses of RAW or Smackdown on TV nowadays.  I get why I used to like it, and I also get why I'll never watch it again.

3.  Cellphones...I think we need to stop calling them cellphones because they've evolved into something way more than just a mobile phone.  It's amazing to think about how cellphones have evolved in just the last 15 years.  My parents (now both in their 60's) used to make so much fun of me when I was in high school for wanting a beeper.  My parents were adamant that they would never be cellphone or beeper users and thought they were ridiculous.  15 years later my father has an iPhone that he must be 5 feet away from at all times, and my mom has a blackberry smartphone which is quintessential in her everyday work as a social worker.  I never would have predicted that as a high schooler.

It used to be that if you made a plan to meet up with someone you had to hope they both showed up at the same time.  Then cellphones came along and it took all the mystique out of figuring things out on the fly.  Now we're also connected to the internet wherever we go.  The world is at our fingertips, instant gratification.  And many people say it (I'm one of them) where I feel naked without my phone.  When I'm heading out the door the three essential things I make sure I have are my cellphone, wallet and keys.  It's really crazy to be so dependent on these devices, and I'm always tempted to "unplug," but it's much easier said than done.

As for the texting on the back of a motorcycle, that's just plain stupid, and starting in October in MA at least, texting while driving will be against the law.  (Quick question on that, how can a police officer determine if I was texting or simply calling up my contacts to call someone if he's just seeing me lift up my phone and push some buttons from his car?)

Glad to see the rants are back Redz.  TP!

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Thanks for the feedback Prof..

(Quick question on that, how can a police officer determine if I was texting or simply calling up my contacts to call someone if he's just seeing me lift up my phone and push some buttons from his car?)

I'm thinking it's one and the same, the basic idea being - don't use your flippin' hands on the phone while you're driving.  I think I'm pretty safe on either account (though I am occasionally guilty of making calls while driving, I am perfectly willing to the tell the person I'm talking with that I need both hands for a moment and I'll put the phone down).

Now, it they outlaw nosepicking while driving I'm in deep doo-doo.  ;)

GOCELTS

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2547
You know I am old school, I have admitted it and even admitted my age!  I refuse to use a cell phone in the car.  A couple years ago some friends came for Thanksgiving.  The wife got on the cell phone before dinner and was on it, through dinner, until they left.  I was quite insulted.

However, I just got a Buick LaCross and it has hand free telephone included.  I haven't tried it yet...I know I could get addicted...

I don't know how to text, but I think I would become addicted to that.  I prefer writing to talking and drag my laptop with me where ever I go...I am not prolific, but I am constant  ;D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
You know I am old school, I have admitted it and even admitted my age!  I refuse to use a cell phone in the car.  A couple years ago some friends came for Thanksgiving.  The wife got on the cell phone before dinner and was on it, through dinner, until they left.  I was quite insulted.

However, I just got a Buick LaCross and it has hand free telephone included.  I haven't tried it yet...I know I could get addicted...

I don't know how to text, but I think I would become addicted to that.  I prefer writing to talking and drag my laptop with me where ever I go...I am not prolific, but I am constant  ;D

tb goes fancy

Nice to be back!

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2547
ha ha ha. You didn't know I was a fancy woman, huh, Edgar?  My last car (which I loved, was a 2000 Buick LeSabre...traded it in with only 55,000 miles on it.  They stopped making them, and it broke my heart not to get another one.  But I am getting used to the La Cross.  I am not really "fancy" but I am supremely spoiled!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 1/4/11
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
1/4/11

Sports
The Pats!

I grew up as a fan of all the local teams, but the only team I can say I sat my fanny in the stands for the majority of their games for a long period of time is the Patriots. For years of god awfulness I sat in the steel seats of Section 110 at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium.  There were some truly horrendous teams, but through it all I sat there with my Dad and brother.  We cheered and complained with the rest of the crowd (though we were definitely in the sober minority).  

It was with great wonder that I watched this hapless organization transform into a dynasty in the last decade.  The Patriots' fan suffering was a different sort of suffering than the 86 years of Red Sox suffering.  The Sox generally blew their chance when they got it.  The Pats simply never had chances.

There was a time when I could cite every Patriots post season game by year and opponent.  Now it's just plain expected that they'll make the playoffs.  

Still, this year is an unusual treat.  I really felt like the organization, and head coach Bill, were on the slide after last year.  Every run must come to an end, and the Pats' sure seemed like it was done.  Then this year crept up on us.

A healthy Brady...a housecleaning of flashy scraps...an influx of new talent from a variety of sources...an old compadre coming back, and a holdout's return. Rookies playing like vets.  A legend playing like a legend.  Wilfork playing everywhere, every minute.  Woodhead!  

By regular season's end we're looking at 14-2 team and another legit run at the Super Bowl.  The future looks bright.

Whatever happens, this team has been more exciting than any team than any Patriots team in their history.  Somehow the lovable loser franchise turned dastardly villainous dynasty has put on a lovable winner face again. Improbable, but true.

Enjoy the ride Pats fans!

Media
My Netflix Fix

It took me a long time, but I've become a bit of a Netflix junky.  I always loved the old video store, but the internet Goliath has sunk its teeth into me and there's no going back. But I'm using Netflix in a way that's not at all how I would have envisioned. Through the wonders of an interactive Blue Ray player I can hook up with Netflix through a Wifi connection on my HDTV.  I can queue up any of thousands of back catalog movies, TV shows, concerts, documentaries etc...and watch them instantly.  

I've had Netflix for a few months and I've only had 2 hard copy DVDs sent my way through snail mail.  In fact I prefer going to the local rental place still for those (yes, we have a rental place still and we love em! http://theboxofficecafe.com/).  

It's really amazing how all of the media technologies continue to blend together more and more seamlessly.

Perhaps my favorite part of Netflix instant view catalog so far has been my daughters' new found ability to watch Looney Tunes cartoons.  Their love of Bugs and Co. is worth the price alone.

So yeh, I'm hooked.

Life
Putting Myself Out There

I recently completed a 2-year Masters program and I am now a licensed Teacher of Special Needs.  Going back to school was no small task with 2 little kids and a whole bunch of other stuff to juggle, but I was on a mission and I got it done.

And now...it's over.  

My new mission is to find employment.  Again, not an easy task.  I've never been big on "putting myself out there".  I don't mind sitting in an interview and talking about myself truthfully, but the need for someone to accept me for who I am, and not a canned response of "what they want to hear" makes me uneasy.  

I seek a comfort zone for my place of employment. I feel like I found that in the school where I did my student teaching, alas there doesn't seem to be an immediate opening there.

So I hit the computer today and started sending out letters and resumes.  I put myself back on the sub lists everywhere I used to work, and some new ones as well.  I scan the bookmarks of job postings.  

I hope for a call.

As much as I value a job, I almost value a school's acceptance as much.  They'll come hand in hand, I know.  

I will work on this as hard as I did for school, and I will be rewarded for the effort - and in the end I will find that feeling of acceptance.

Right?

Anyone wanna see my resume  ;D

GOCELTS

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2011, 10:42:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
1/4/11

Sports
The Pats!

I grew up as a fan of all the local teams, but the only team I can say I sat my fanny in the stands for the majority of their games for a long period of time is the Patriots. For years of god awfulness I sat in the steel seats of Section 110 at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium.  There were some truly horrendous teams, but through it all I sat there with my Dad and brother.  We cheered and complained with the rest of the crowd (though we were definitely in the sober minority).  

It was with great wonder that I watched this hapless organization transform into a dynasty in the last decade.  The Patriots' fan suffering was a different sort of suffering than the 86 years of Red Sox suffering.  The Sox generally blew their chance when they got it.  The Pats simply never had chances.

There was a time when I could cite every Patriots post season game by year and opponent.  Now it's just plain expected that they'll make the playoffs.  

Still, this year is an unusual treat.  I really felt like the organization, and head coach Bill, were on the slide after last year.  Every run must come to an end, and the Pats' sure seemed like it was done.  Then this year crept up on us.

A healthy Brady...a housecleaning of flashy scraps...an influx of new talent from a variety of sources...an old compadre coming back, and a holdout's return. Rookies playing like vets.  A legend playing like a legend.  Wilfork playing everywhere, every minute.  Woodhead!  

By regular season's end we're looking at 14-2 team and another legit run at the Super Bowl.  The future looks bright.

Whatever happens, this team has been more exciting than any team than any Patriots team in their history.  Somehow the lovable loser franchise turned dastardly villainous dynasty has put on a lovable winner face again. Improbable, but true.

Enjoy the ride Pats fans!

Media
My Netflix Fix

It took me a long time, but I've become a bit of a Netflix junky.  I always loved the old video store, but the internet Goliath has sunk its teeth into me and there's no going back. But I'm using Netflix in a way that's not at all how I would have envisioned. Through the wonders of an interactive Blue Ray player I can hook up with Netflix through a Wifi connection on my HDTV.  I can queue up any of thousands of back catalog movies, TV shows, concerts, documentaries etc...and watch them instantly.  

I've had Netflix for a few months and I've only had 2 hard copy DVDs sent my way through snail mail.  In fact I prefer going to the local rental place still for those (yes, we have a rental place still and we love em! http://theboxofficecafe.com/).  

It's really amazing how all of the media technologies continue to blend together more and more seamlessly.

Perhaps my favorite part of Netflix instant view catalog so far has been my daughters' new found ability to watch Looney Tunes cartoons.  Their love of Bugs and Co. is worth the price alone.

So yeh, I'm hooked.

Life
Putting Myself Out There

I recently completed a 2-year Masters program and I am now a licensed Teacher of Special Needs.  Going back to school was no small task with 2 little kids and a whole bunch of other stuff to juggle, but I was on a mission and I got it done.

And now...it's over.  

My new mission is to find employment.  Again, not an easy task.  I've never been big on "putting myself out there".  I don't mind sitting in an interview and talking about myself truthfully, but the need for someone to accept me for who I am, and not a canned response of "what they want to hear" makes me uneasy.  

I seek a comfort zone for my place of employment. I feel like I found that in the school where I did my student teaching, alas there doesn't seem to be an immediate opening there.

So I hit the computer today and started sending out letters and resumes.  I put myself back on the sub lists everywhere I used to work, and some new ones as well.  I scan the bookmarks of job postings.  

I hope for a call.

As much as I value a job, I almost value a school's acceptance as much.  They'll come hand in hand, I know.  

I will work on this as hard as I did for school, and I will be rewarded for the effort - and in the end I will find that feeling of acceptance.

Right?

Anyone wanna see my resume  ;D

sure woulld love to see it and tell what not to put there (mines are not having that much of a succes lately) with something like 10% interview rater.
yes and thats not good}
I used to kick asses at that maybe I am just old fashioned now and not in vogue..lol
thank god I love freelance
and still have  a job

Nice to be back!

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »

Offline Bowden75

• Ante Zizic
  • Tommy Points: 1

Today, the search for a possible job suited to our qualifications is not an easy task. Make sure that you have your best armor when you do it. Nevertheless, you should have the drive and motivation upon application with a well-polished and comprehensive resume.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:25:44 PM by Bowden75 »

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:52 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3593
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
    • Bahku Music
Great stuff, Redz (TP) ... really awesome to see what you've accomplished since the days of the "Caped Cod". You've put in the work and I'm sure will soon see the profits, (and I don't mean just monetary).

You're a great guy, hard-worker, and have an awesome sense of humor, and any organization would be very lucky to have you as part of their staff. I'm sure you're looking to stay in the Boston area, and being in the medical profession, I will keep my eyes open for opportunities in your field.

Would you be open to relocating to Maine also? There are a great deal of Special Needs/Human Services openings in the Greater Portland area, and I could refer some people to you, or vice/versa, (let me know/PM).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *