Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 71366 times)

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/27/09
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 5356
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
11/2/09

Sports
Yankees
You know I can't stand them.  I'm a lifelong Sox fan, so it's ingrained in me to hate them. They spent a buttload of cash and got a bunch of studs to complement the old guard, so that's supposed to make them all the more despicable.

Still, as they sit on the precipice of a ridiculous 27th World Series Title, I'm having a hard time getting as worked up about the Yankees winning it all, as I was watching the Lakers take the trophy last year.  You can pay guys all the money you like, but they still have to do it on the field, and these Yankees have simply been clutch. 

Plus, the more I watch him, the more Mariano Rivera has become my favorite baseball player.  The guy is just plain wicked.

So yeh, I won't celebrate another Yankees title (and I'm still holding out hope that the Phils can pull off the comeback), but I'm not going to be all ticked off like I was in June watching Kobe & co. celebrate

Media
Meatballs
I took my daughters to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Graphically it was just plain fun to see a bunch of giant food falling from the sky.

The writing was clever - I got a bunch of decent adult chuckles out of a few jokes.  But mostly, I liked the themes the story approached under the somewhat innocuous guise of a humorous cartoon.  Namely; obesity, gluttony, greed, technology obsession, capitalism, superficiality, and the opposites of all of the above were thrown on the plate for our consumption.  As my girls and I wolfed down a bucket of popcorn and I considered taking advantage of the free refill, I took the lesson of not having too much of a good thing.

Take all that and throw in the voice of Mr. T and how can you really go wrong?

Life
Funeral for a Friend

A good friend's dad passed away last week after a long battle with Lymphoma.  Today was his funeral.  I've been through enough people close to me dying now, that I'm accustomed to the notion of taking something good from their passing and refocusing on what's important.  Still, today was unique.

My friend's dad was a good friend to me in his own right.  He was a guy who was the embodiment of seizing the day.  He enjoyed life, and he relished sharing that joy with others.  Even after he became sick, and his appearance changed outwardly, he never changed his outlook on life.

A few weeks back another good friend and I went to say what we thought might well be goodbye to my friend's dad.  When we got to his house he looked to be in much worse condition than we had been forewarned. His wife was distraught.  My friend and I were unsure how to react.  My friend's dad broke the ice by asking, "You wanna go out for a beer?" 

So we did.  We had a few. 

And what struck me that night is the amazing capacity he had to keep living his life until he could no longer.  Once we got over the initial awkwardness, it was clear that the man inside was still there. 

My point here is, if there's someone close to you who is sick, and might not have long to live, don't run from them, embrace them. 

Two things my friend said that his dad told him with the last of his coherent thoughts; "It was fun" & "It went fast".

carpe diem...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:04:31 PM by Redz »

GOCELTS

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 11/2/09
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »

Offline vl819

• Avery Bradley
  • Tommy Points: 17
Profound points.   TP

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The Funeral for a Friend thing really got to me. TP.

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
The Funeral for a Friend thing really got to me. TP.

Weird karma that happened the other day.  I was driving to the dump (that's not the weird thing) and I drove past my friend's folks' street.  I had the impulse to swing by and have a Budweiser (my friend's dad's favorite) in their driveway in his memory.  This is their summer home so I figured I wouldn't be intruding - and I know it would have been cool with them.

So I do a U-turn, and pull into the liquor store to grab a six-pack of Bud bottles.  As I walk into the store I get all goose bumpy when I hear this song playing on the radio in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7trKNHOg14

Pretty weird.  Can't remember the last time I heard that song.

Anyhow...stuff like that tends to happen soon after someone near you has passed.  I think you're just much more in tune to recognizing coincidences, trying to find deeper meaning or something.

oh...and no, I don't go around looking for driveways to go sneak down a beer.  ;)

GOCELTS

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
You know, Redz, I've noticed this type of thing in my own life many times.  For whatever reason, you hear a song that hits you at just the right time or you start having the urge to listen to a certain album and 9 out of 10 times it probably has to do with whatever is going on in your life at that moment.

TP for sharing the out of the ordinary experience that is maybe more easy to relate to for most of us than you might realize.

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think you're just much more in tune to recognizing coincidences, trying to find deeper meaning or something.

Cynic. ;)

Thanks for all of the thoughts, Redz.  Very touching.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
I think you're just much more in tune to recognizing coincidences, trying to find deeper meaning or something.

Cynic. ;)

Did I mention there was a burning bush outside the liquor store?

GOCELTS

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Still think it is awfully alot easier to win the world series and be 'clutch' when your team is bought and is an all star caliber team. They really hardly have to break a sweat. Any team with that much talent will go far.

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Still think it is awfully alot easier to win the world series and be 'clutch' when your team is bought and is an all star caliber team. They really hardly have to break a sweat. Any team with that much talent will go far.

I just think if we're gonna knock a guy like ARod when he chokes, we need to also recognize when he steps up on the big stage.

GOCELTS

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 4/12/10
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
4/12/10

Sports
Playoff Time
It's been a ridiculously long time since I did one of these.  I tried one a few weeks ago, but it got munched right as I wrapping it up and I didn't have the energy to start over.

I don't have a ton to say in the way of sports.  I'll take a stab at the Celts and their intriguing post season to come.

I managed to stay positive about the Celtics prospects for the playoffs until the last couple of weeks.  They gave us a nice glimmer of hope playing solidly in Utah, Houston and especially Dallas.  They had started to look a bit like the team we know.  Alas, lackluster losses at home to Washington, Houston, and a blow out loss to the Spurs, plus a putrid loss in New York have dimmed my hopes.  I can handle the losses, but the apparent apathy is brutal.

So we approach the playoffs.  Two years removed from a championship team that was the embodiment of determination, teamwork, and hustle we have the same starting five, but a whole different feel.  

The notion of the Celtics having a "magic switch" to turn on has been thrown around a bunch, but I just don't see how it happens.  I'll be rooting my rear end off for the Celts, but I just have this sick feeling that when the chips are down this team will not respond well.  I hate feeling that way, but I can't help it, I've been watching them all year.

We'll know who they play in the first round in the next couple of days.  They should be able to beat a first round opponent - but who knows?  

I'll be praying for that magic "on" switch until the very end.  

Media
Spinning the Vinyl
As you may know, I owned a record store for many years (see my avatar - that was the logo).  I started out as a CD shop then accidentally fell into vinyl too.  The records ended up being far and away my favorite part of the business.  Buying collections and finding the treasures within was a ton of fun.  Knowing which customer to alert when I came across a certain artist, genre, or label gave me a very personal connection with them.  I got to know my record buyers well.

One of the downsides of owning a music store was that the CDs and records became a commodity for me, and my personal collection was basically a fluid part of inventory (especially once I could copy something to I-Tunes).

When I closed up shop I liquidated my vinyl inventory on eBay.  I went from having thousands of records to just a few sentimental ones from my childhood, and a couple of blues albums I'd squirreled away in the last few years.

In the months since closing, I have slowly begun collecting again for the first in many years.  Actually listening to vinyl in my office is a real treat. Last weekend I found a stack of decent stuff at a swap shop. In it was a Miles Davis "Evil Live" double album that I'd never heard.  Great stuff.

Having to get up off your rear end and flip the record is a subtle reminder of how easy things are these days.  I can flip on my Ipod and literally have a months worth of music play.  What I love about vinyl is that it's real.  The word "phonograph" means sound from something written.  The music is literally written on the record.  It's not a fabrication, it's tangible.  

So much of the wonderful media technology of the last few years has served to further detach us from real interaction, or perhaps redefine the way we interact is a more fair way of saying it.  The point is the way we do things now is becoming more and more impersonal.  The beauty of records and record collecting is that there is a true connection between you, the record, and the music.

Life
Transformer
I ended up saying much more about vinyl than I'd reckoned for and I'm drawing a big fat blank about "life" sort of stuff.  So, I'm going to cop out, and copy a post I made a few days back in the Transformative Experience thread ( http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=36730.msg726835#msg726835 ) .  It was glossed over pretty quickly anyhow, so maybe you haven't seen it before.  If you have already read it, and don't feel like reading it, I will impart upon you my own personally created "life is like" line:  Life is like a tube of tooth paste; if you try really hard, you can always squeeze a little more out of it...

Anyhow, here's the piece I wrote the other day:

I revisited a place this past week where I had an epiphany about a dozen years ago.  My daughters were at yoga (yeh, they do yoga) on Wednesday so I had an hour to kill.  I used to live right around the corner from there when I was in my mid-twenties.  Down the street from yoga, and where I used to live, is one of my favorite beaches.  I used swim there at night after work.  Sometimes I'd sit in the life guard's chair and just chill out, listening to the waves meet the shore.

One day, when I was just short of 30 years of age, I walked to the beach and climbed up to the life guard's perch.  My Dad's sister, who was just a few years older than I am now, had recently passed away after a long battle with cancer.  She was always asking me if I was dating anyone, and I'd always tell her no, not now.  We'd talk about other stuff too, but I knew she really wanted me to find someone to be happy with.

So, I got reflective.  I thought about what was really important to me.  I thought about what I was doing with my life, and how I could improve on things.  I thought about the power of positivity, and I resolved to seek out positive people and purge myself of any negative people in my circle.  I thought about worrying less about finding someone to love me, and concentrating on loving who I am - who I really am - first.

I thought for a good long while that night.  I felt a flush of hope come over me.  Like everything was going to be all right.

I did the things I'd thought about in the months that followed.  I kept positive, and found that positive people started gravitating towards me, and me towards them.

The woman who would become my wife, the same woman who had worked next door to me for years, and known me from around town forever, suddenly looked at me differently.  We started dating and fell in love very quickly.  A little over a year later we were married.

I can't fully describe the depths of how miraculous this turnaround in my life was.  I am not super religious, but I do believe in the power of positive thinking.  I just wish I remembered it more often.  Like Wednesday, when I returned to the chair, kicked up my legs, and looked out at the ocean.  It had been years since I'd been there, but I plan to return more often now and refocus on the things that are truly important in life.

I've certainly had other transformative experiences, but the day at the lifeguard chair began my life as an adult.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:38:22 PM by Redz »

GOCELTS

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
4/12/10

Sports
Playoff Time
It's been a ridiculously long time since I did one of these.  I tried one a few weeks ago, but it got munched right as I wrapping it up and I didn't have the energy to start over.

I don't have a ton to say in the way of sports.  I'll take a stab at the Celts and their intriguing post season to come.

I managed to stay positive about the Celtics prospects for the playoffs until the last couple of weeks.  They gave us a nice glimmer of hope playing solidly in Utah, Houston and especially Dallas.  They had started to look a bit like the team we know.  Alas, lackluster losses at home to Washington, Houston, and a blow out loss to the Spurs, plus a putrid loss in New York have dimmed my hopes.  I can handle the losses, but the apparent apathy is brutal.

So we approach the playoffs.  Two years removed from a championship team that was the embodiment of determination, teamwork, and hustle we have the same starting five, but a whole different feel.  

The notion of the Celtics having a "magic switch" to turn on has been thrown around a bunch, but I just don't see how it happens.  I'll be rooting my rear end off for the Celts, but I just have this sick feeling that when the chips are down this team will not respond well.  I hate feeling that way, but I can't help it, I've been watching them all year.

We'll know who they play in the first round in the next couple of days.  They should be able to beat a first round opponent - but who knows?  

I'll be praying for that magic "on" switch until the very end.  

Media
Spinning the Vinyl
As you may know, I owned a record store for many years (see my avatar - that was the logo).  I started out as a CD shop then accidentally fell into vinyl too.  The records ended up being far and away my favorite part of the business.  Buying collections and finding the treasures within was a ton of fun.  Knowing which customer to alert when I came across a certain artist, genre, or label gave me a very personal connection with them.  I got to know my record buyers well.

One of the downsides of owning a music store was that the CDs and records became a commodity for me, and my personal collection was basically a fluid part of inventory (especially once I could copy something to I-Tunes).

When I closed up shop I liquidated my vinyl inventory on eBay.  I went from having thousands of records to just a few sentimental ones from my childhood, and a couple of blues albums I'd squirreled away in the last few years.

In the months since closing, I have slowly begun collecting again for the first in many years.  Actually listening to vinyl in my office is a real treat. Last weekend I found a stack of decent stuff at a swap shop. In it was a Miles Davis "Evil Live" double album that I'd never heard.  Great stuff.

Having to get up off your rear end and flip the record is a subtle reminder of how easy things are these days.  I can flip on my Ipod and literally have a months worth of music play.  What I love about vinyl is that it's real.  The word "phonograph" means sound from something written.  The music is literally written on the record.  It's not a fabrication, it's tangible.  

So much of the wonderful media technology of the last few years has served to further detach us from real interaction, or perhaps redefine the way we interact is a more fair way of saying it.  The point is the way we do things now is becoming more and more impersonal.  The beauty of records and record collecting is that there is a true connection between you, the record, and the music.

Life
Transformer
I ended up saying much more about vinyl than I'd reckoned for and I'm drawing a big fat blank about "life" sort of stuff.  So, I'm going to cop out, and copy a post I made a few days back in the Transformative Experience thread ( http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=36730.msg726835#msg726835 ) .  It was glossed over pretty quickly anyhow, so maybe you haven't seen it before.  If you have already read it, and don't feel like reading it, I will impart upon you my own personally created "life is like" line:  Life is like a tube of tooth paste; if you try really hard, you can always squeeze a little more out of it...

Anyhow, here's the piece I wrote the other day:

I revisited a place this past week where I had an epiphany about a dozen years ago.  My daughters were at yoga (yeh, they do yoga) on Wednesday so I had an hour to kill.  I used to live right around the corner from there when I was in my mid-twenties.  Down the street from yoga, and where I used to live, is one of my favorite beaches.  I used swim there at night after work.  Sometimes I'd sit in the life guard's chair and just chill out, listening to the waves meet the shore.

One day, when I was just short of 30 years of age, I walked to the beach and climbed up to the life guard's perch.  My Dad's sister, who was just a few years older than I am now, had recently passed away after a long battle with cancer.  She was always asking me if I was dating anyone, and I'd always tell her no, not now.  We'd talk about other stuff too, but I knew she really wanted me to find someone to be happy with.

So, I got reflective.  I thought about what was really important to me.  I thought about what I was doing with my life, and how I could improve on things.  I thought about the power of positivity, and I resolved to seek out positive people and purge myself of any negative people in my circle.  I thought about worrying less about finding someone to love me, and concentrating on loving who I am - who I really am - first.

I thought for a good long while that night.  I felt a flush of hope come over me.  Like everything was going to be all right.

I did the things I'd thought about in the months that followed.  I kept positive, and found that positive people started gravitating towards me, and me towards them.

The woman who would become my wife, the same woman who had worked next door to me for years, and known me from around town forever, suddenly looked at me differently.  We started dating and fell in love very quickly.  A little over a year later we were married.

I can't fully describe the depths of how miraculous this turnaround in my life was.  I am not super religious, but I do believe in the power of positive thinking.  I just wish I remembered it more often.  Like Wednesday, when I returned to the chair, kicked up my legs, and looked out at the ocean.  It had been years since I'd been there, but I plan to return more often now and refocus on the things that are truly important in life.

I've certainly had other transformative experiences, but the day at the lifeguard chair began my life as an adult.

TP.

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/17/10
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

One quick note before I get into things...I was blissfully way off on my posting in April regarding the Celtics and their ballyhooed "on switch".

I love the NFL.  Love the 16 game regular season where every game means a lot.  I love the weekly build up for Sunday's battles.  I even love Monday Night Football (though not nearly as much as I used to).

What I can't stand, and could really give a poop about, is the preseason silliness.  It just holds no interest to me.  I care less about individual players in the NFL then any other sport.  The helmets and the uniforms make everyone look the same to me.  It's the teams that matter more to me.  With that in mind I don't care enough to see 3rd stringers duke it out in the preseason games.

Preseason games stink.  The coaches don't want to "show anything" so they don't let their starters do much (or play much).  And yet, the presentation of NFL Preseason games on TV is very much like the regular season.  The games mean diddly but the hype is 100%.  I guess the proof is the pudding though.  NFL Preseason ratings are routinely better than other major sports' playoff ratings.  The NFL rules TV, and the stadiums are all packed to the gills with fans who are roped into buying preseason tickets as part of a season ticket package.  Money, money, money....And for all the money they're making, the owners plan on a lockout next year.  Blehhh.

On a happier note; one thing I do like about the preseason these days are the extended mixed camps with the two teams meeting for a game on the weekend.  There, I said something nice.

Media
Wrastlin'

Last night was an off night for TV.  By "off" I don't mean I took the drastic measure of turning my TV off, just that I didn't find much to watch.

Last week I finally entered the wonderful world of HDTV.  I now have a whole bunch of lovely, crisp new stations to choose from.  Most of them complete junk, but the newness of them keeps me flipping mindlessly on a night where there's no Sox game or Futurama (my obsession of late).  

So, I stumbled upon WWE Monday Night Raw.  It had been years since I'd been roped into the theater of some good ol' choreographed muscley men running around and jabbering away in the ring.  The last time I was hooked on wrestling was during The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin's hay days.  Back then it was quite simply the most entertaining thing on TV.  Like any good thing though it ran its course and Vince McMahon over-saturated us with the shenanigans, even going so far as to throw He Hurt Me and the XFL down our throats.

What I loved about last nights viewing was that I was able to pick up the plot lines within minutes despite not knowing any of the characters.  There was the drama of the potential break up of team Nexus (I guess they rule things now in some sort of side faction that wears black shirts with a big yellow N on them).  Then there was the tantalizing prospect of Hit Man Hart, despite being all decrepit, coming out of retirement to settle a score with a young Nexus buck.  I should have known better than to get my hopes up.  Vince McMahon still has it out for Hart (or was he actually looking out for him) and canceled the match through an often used "email from the manager".

Times have changed in wrestling.  I miss the Hulskster, and Macho Man, and even Chief J Strongbow and George the Animal Steel.  Still, for one night it was fun to revisit the mindlessness of it all.  

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

I'm pushing on 42 years on this planet and for the first time I'm starting to feel a generational gap where I just don't seem to get the attraction to certain things.  Some of it can't even be chalked up to age, as much as a mindset.  Most of what makes me feel this way revolves around SmartPhones, texting, and the constant need to be plugged into portable devices.

I own a cell phone.  I use it.  I receive occasional texts, but have yet to send one back.  I love the internet, Facebook, checking in on my Fantasy teams, email, and of course CelticsBlog.  I understand the attraction.  What I don't get is the inability to turn these devices off, or at least place out of sight when their users are confronted with actual face to face human interaction.

Texting has fundamentally changed the way we are communicating and interacting, and I just don't get it.  I've been working as a waiter at a nice restaurant this summer.  I can't give you an exact percentage, but off the top of my head I'd say 50% of all of customers keep their SmartPhones on the table during their dinner.  Most of these people spend at least some portion of their dinner using the devices.

In addition to the food, a large part of going out to dinner is sharing the company the people you are seated with.  Can't the rest of the world wait an hour while you give the people present your attention?

The other day I saw a young girl on a moped tapping away on her phone while riding.  

It's not going to go away and I've come to grips with it, I just am befuddled by the amount of people who think this an OK thing.  

Is it me getting old, or just having a different set of standards of communications etiquette?

And the there's this...next rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdpJlZ07u4
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:07:45 PM by Redz »

GOCELTS

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 444
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
8/17/10

Sports
NFL Preseason Silliness

One quick note before I get into things...I was blissfully way off on my posting in April regarding the Celtics and their ballyhooed "on switch".

I love the NFL.  Love the 16 game regular season where every game means a lot.  I love the weekly build up for Sunday's battles.  I even love Monday Night Football (though not nearly as much as I used to).

What I can't stand, and could really give a poop about, is the preseason silliness.  It just holds no interest to me.  I care less about individual players in the NFL then any other sport.  The helmets and the uniforms make everyone look the same to me.  It's the teams that matter more to me.  With that in mind I don't care enough to see 3rd stringers duke it out in the preseason games.

Preseason games stink.  The coaches don't want to "show anything" so they don't let their starters do much (or play much).  And yet, the presentation of NFL Preseason games on TV is very much like the regular season.  The games mean diddly but the hype is 100%.  I guess the proof is the pudding though.  NFL Preseason ratings are routinely better than other major sports' playoff ratings.  The NFL rules TV, and the stadiums are all packed to the gills with fans who are roped into buying preseason tickets as part of a season ticket package.  Money, money, money....And for all the money they're making, the owners plan on a lockout next year.  Blehhh.

On a happier note; one thing I do like about the preseason these days are the extended mixed camps with the two teams meeting for a game on the weekend.  There, I said something nice.

Media
Wrastlin'

Last night was an off night for TV.  By "off" I don't mean I took the drastic measure of turning my TV off, just that I didn't find much to watch.

Last week I finally entered the wonderful world of HDTV.  I now have a whole bunch of lovely, crisp new stations to choose from.  Most of them complete junk, but the newness of them keeps me flipping mindlessly on a night where there's no Sox game or Futurama (my obsession of late).  

So, I stumbled upon WWE Monday Night Raw.  It had been years since I'd been roped into the theater some good ol' choreographed muscley men running around and jabbering away in the ring.  The last time I was hooked on wrestling was during The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin's hay days.  Back then it was quite simply the most entertaining thing on TV.  Like any good thing though it ran its course and Vince McMahon over-saturated us with the shenanigans, even going so far as to throw He Hurt Me and the XFL down our throats.

What I loved about last nights viewing was that I was able to pick up the plot lines within minutes despite not knowing any of the characters.  There was the drama of the potential break up team Nexus (I guess they rule things now in some sort of side faction that wears black shirts with a big yellow N on them).  Then there was the tantalizing prospect of Hit Man Hart, despite being all decrepit, coming out of retirement to settle a score with a young Nexus buck.  I should have known better than to get my hopes up.  Vince McMahon still has it out for Hart (or was he actually looking out for him) and canceled the match through an often used "email from the manager".

Times have changed in wrestling.  I miss the Hulskster, and Macho Man, and even Chief J Strongbow and George the Animal Steel.  Still, for one night it was fun to revisit the mindlessness of it all.  

Life
I-outof-TOUCH

I'm pushing on 42 years on this planet and for the first time I'm starting to feel a generational gap where I just don't seem to get the attraction to certain things.  Some of it can't even be chalked up to age, as much as a mindset.  Most of what makes me feel this way revolves around SmartPhones, texting, and the constant need to be plugged into portable devices.

I own a cell phone.  I use it.  I receive occasional texts, but have yet to send one back.  I love the internet, Facebook, checking in on my Fantasy teams, email, and of course CelticsBlog.  I understand the attraction.  What I don't get is the inability to turn these devices off, or at least place out of sight when their users are confronted with actual face to face human interaction.

Texting has fundamentally changed the way we are communicating and interacting, and I just don't get it.  I've been working as a waiter at a nice restaurant this summer.  I can't give you an exact percentage, but off the top of my head I'd say 50% of all of customers keep their SmartPhones on the table during their dinner.  Most of these people spend at least some portion of their dinner using the devices.

In addition to the food, a large part of going out to dinner is sharing the company the people you are seated with.  Can't the rest of the world wait an hour while you give the people present your attention?

The other day I saw a young girl on a moped tapping away on her phone while riding.  

It's not going to go away and I've come to grips with it, I just am befuddled by the amount of people who think this an OK thing.  

Is it me getting old, or just having a different set of standards of communications etiquette?

And the there's this...next rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdpJlZ07u4

Love to see we were ion the same channel yesterday

literally

;D

Great post as always
tp
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!