Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 71368 times)

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/19/09
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 5356
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
8/19/09

Sports
The Celts Summer
The euphoria of 2008 was hard to live up to, and in the end we had a hobbled KG and a game, but outmatched, C's team unable to [successfully] defend a championship for the 7th straight time.  It was a bit of a belly ache to see our boys blown off the court in Game 7 by Orlando.  And then we had the virtual hemorrhoidal itch of watching Kobe hoist up a trophy when we all felt darn well we could have beaten them again if we were healthy.  You can build a roster, but there's no accounting for injuries to your stars.

Still, we felt like the cubbard was a tad lacking in the depth department when we needed.

This summer Danny has done his best to stock that cubbard with the likes of Rasheed and Marquis Daniels (he is coming, right?), and the not so triumphant return of Big Baby.  On paper the Celts seem deeper. 

I, for one, was booming with confidence even before the sad end of last year.  I loved the strides Perk & Rondo made.  During KG's brief, part time return, before ultimately playing his last game, I saw some really exciting stuff from the starting 5.

I truly believe this year has the potential to be something special.  If (a big if admittedly), the C's can keep the parts healthy and rested I think we'll be seeing some offense from the Celtics like we have not seen in the league in many moons.

So, for me, I'm happy with the moves Danny has made.  It will be fun to have Sheed, and Daniels should be a nice part, but the starting 5 is what I can't wait to see again.

I know we need those other parts to protect the starters from wear and tear, but it's all window dressing.  I want to see domination and basketball artistry.  This year is the peak year for this squad.

I'm done with Summer.  When's camp?

Media
The Great Outdoors
A couple of nights ago I was perusing the free On Demand movies on Comcast for something to watch with my daughters.  There wasn't a hell of a lot appropriate for them there, but I was adamant that we watch something we haven't seen a hundred times already. 

I decided I'd give Ghostbusters a whirl.  Well, they're not quite ready for that yet  :o :o ...A wee bit too scary still.

I settled on the Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Akroyd.  I'd forgotten what a fun and funny movie that is.  My daughters were legitimately belly laughing at the sights of John Candy whirling on water skis and being trampled under a door by the bald headed bear.

John Candy's good heart just bled through the screen.  I miss that guy. 

Dan Akroyd played the redeemable arrogant jerk to a T as well.

If you need a wild card for a good, clean family movie the Great Outdoors has stood the test of time - watch it and enjoy.

RIP John Candy & John Hughes

Life
Being The Grown Up

It still startles me sometimes when I find myself having to be the adult.  I'm 40, and right in the middle of a couple of generations.  Having kids (and being responsible for them) will make you see the world in a different light in a hurry.

I've never been one to get all puffed up over stuff, but when my kids are involved I have very little tolerance for people exposing them unnecessarily to inappropriate behavior.

I found myself in a situation last week with some members of the generation above me acting very much like members of a younger generation at a family dinner.  Because these were people I don't see very often, I let the behavior fester for a while before my metaphorically simmering kettle `o' water boiled over and I emphatically let them know that enough is enough.

When did it switch from a case of me growing the balls to stand up to elders, to me confidently reprimanding them when I know they deserve it?

Having to remind my elders that they were not acting appropriately with kids in the room was just another notch of irrefutable proof that I'm simply not a kid any more. 

It's strange.  I still know that kid that was me quite well.

I hear my kids claiming all of the time that they can't wait to be a grown up, and as their parents my wife and I spend most of our time trying to do our best to shelter them from the shortcomings of adulthood and many of the gross realities of society. What's the rush?

If I'm lucky this is the middle of my life.  Soon enough my kids will be having to keep me in line I suppose. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:48:25 AM by Redz »

GOCELTS

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm telling you, Redz, you should do some writing for the front page.  Top notch, touching stuff.

I, too, miss John Candy.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Top notch on each subject.  The "Life" section reminds me very much of myself and I'm 5 years behind you.  Somewhere along the line, I started to realize that even my elders are prone to moments of complete childishness.

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2215
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great update as always - TP.

Fun fact about The Great Outdoors - if you look closely when the bear is jumping up and down on the door you can see the trainer's stick bobbing up and down in the corner of the frame.

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1099
I hear my kids claiming all of the time that they can't wait to be a grown up, and as their parents my wife and I spend most of our time trying to do our best to shelter them from the shortcomings of adulthood and many of the gross realities of society. What's the rush?

If I'm lucky this is the middle of my life.  Soon enough my kids will be having to keep me in line I suppose. 

Ignorance is bliss for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what was the older generation doing at the dinner table exactly? Just curious.

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

Ignorance is bliss for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what was the older generation doing at the dinner table exactly? Just curious.

It was a lovely combination of wine, boisterous political debate, self back patting, putting down of others, wine, and profanity (and some more wine).

GOCELTS

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1099

It was a lovely combination of wine, boisterous political debate, self back patting, putting down of others, wine, and profanity (and some more wine).

Oh man, haha. Yeah they probably understood your displeasure.

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
    • Realeyez Independent Cinema
Yes! A new rant! I will read it more thoroughly and then reply.  Happy to see it back again Redz. :)

TP for bringing it back.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:45:18 PM by Prof. Clutch »

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/27/09
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
8/27/09

Sports
The Truth
I started a piece on Pierce, but ran into turf that seemed all too familiar.  We all know what the guy brings to the table.  So, after tearing up the virtual piece of paper I am left with the title "The Truth", because it fits in with the "Life" section down below, yet I have drawn an absolute blank on what to write about for sports.

I am a creature of habit and I insist on sticking with the format I have set up for this thread, so I will not simply skip the sports part, just to get at the stuff at the end (which is what I really want to write about)...So, I'm left with a stream of conscientiousness.

I know...What about Big Papi?  I saw someone on a CBS blog refer to the Sox, as the Roid Sox.  So what about it?  Does it make me a bad guy to root for the guy?  I want the Sox to win, and I find it pretty darn exciting when a guy hits a walkoff homer. 

I was in the stands years ago when the Sox and Mo Vaughn were going through some awful contract negotiations.  Mo had made some pretty disparaging remarks and was hearing some pretty nasty things from the crowd (well beyond a steady chorus of boos). In the 9th, up walked Mo, and out sailed the ball for a game winning dinger.  The crowd went nuts.  Curtain call for Mo.  Everyone goes home happy.

If San Francisco Giants fans could shower an arrogant and circumstantially guilty by large headedness juicer guy like Barry Bonds with unabashed worship, is it so bad for me to cheer for a lovably innocent vitamin chewer like David Ortiz?

My answer:  Do what feels good!  Last night it sure felt to stand up off my couch and cheer a good ol' fashioned walk off by Big Papi.  Call me shallow.  A win's a win, and a walk off's a walk off.

...there, I did it.

Media
Watchmen
I finally got around to watching this the other night. 

I need to first mention that I am not a comic book or graphic novel aficionado.  I can't tell you which superhero would kick which superhero's ass and why - much less do it with passion, but I do enjoy the genre.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  Having no graphic novel to compare it too, I came into this basically in the blind.  I see this as a good thing.  I had no preconceptions of how things should be.

There were parts I loved.  The surprisingly folksy soundtrack worked at parts - especially the opening scene with Dylan's "Times They Are Changing" with the backdrop of the superhero through the ages. 

It did seem like they were trying to squeeze a lot of history (or alternate history) into a small space.  The whole alternate history thing was interesting, but flawed. 

Batman was a bit goofy.  Rorschach was pretty awesome - especially in prison.  Dr. Manhattan was visually and mentally stimulating.

Mostly I liked how the superheroes were real people.

All in all, I really enjoyed the movie, and do have some interest in reading the original material at some point.

Life
The Truth
Exhale...Foooo...Breathe deep...

OK, I've been thinking on this one for several days now.  Hopefully it all comes out here how it's been developing in my head for days.

What is the truth and why is it important?  We've seen our share of varied opinions of what's what in these forums of late.  I am perpetually amazed at how two (or more) people can look at the exact same thing and see two completely different things.

Example: Does global warming exist?  I think so, but some don't. 

Is the truth important?  What if something is the truth and we don't react to it because we don't believe it to 100% true?

Is there an absolute truth to anything?  Is an apple an apple? 

We spend so much of our time seeking the truth - whether it's religion, school, the result of a sporting event, a trial, a debate on the merits of public vs private health care.  You name it, we debate it, but what about the truth?

Is there a correct answer to everything?  Is there a correct answer to anything?  Mathematics is a nice tidy business, but even mathematicians argue over certain theories. 

I have this pie in the sky dream that there will come a source of knowledge that all can refer to as arbiter.  In fact, let's call it the Great Arbiter.  The Great Arbiter will, or course, be completely arbitrary.  It will answer any question big or small, and it's truth will be willingly and absolutely accepted by those who question it.  The Great Arbiter is not a god, just a completely reliable source capable of neutrally giving the truth of infinite matters.

We humans are a curious type and will ask for the Great Arbiter's help in bazillions of matters, and we will all be wiser and the world will be filled with peace. 

But generations from now, we will stop asking questions because we will have all of the answers we care to know.  We will lose our sense of exploration.  We will know the truth, but we will no longer care to try the difference between a hot dog with mustard and one with with ketchup (the Great Arbiter will explain to all that mustard is yucky <editorial license alert>). 

We will look at art and know exactly what the meaning is.  We will no longer wonder whether to bring back Antoine or not. 

In short, life will cease to be all that interesting.

So what can we determine about the truth then? Is the pursuit of the truth more important than the actual truth?

My opinion: an absolute truth is absolutely a matter of opinion.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:35:54 PM by Redz »

GOCELTS

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 02:13:38 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1917
That was deep.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1917

The great Arbiter.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
That was deep.

Yeh.  Sorry. I'll try to stick with job worries and dealing with children etc...Just had The Truth stuck in my head.

GOCELTS

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

The great Arbiter.

I'm thinking more like this: