Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 69169 times)

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/21/09
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 177
I think one of these a week would be amazing!!
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 08:56:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 2654
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Just thought you should know this from the beginning in case of copyright infringement:
http://redrants.com/

I guess I could always throw a Z on the end of Rant too, but I never was a big fan of the Z for the S thing (then why redZ ---i dunno)

GOCELTS

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 75
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
TP Redz, I've enjoyed this. I might steal your idea :D

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
    • Realeyez Independent Cinema
Yeah Redz,
I'm ready for round 3 brotha.

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

divider

GOCELTS

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/30/09
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
7/30/09

Sports
Big Poopy
OK, I've had a bit of a mind numbing week (more on that later) and have felt pretty uninspired for a new Rant.  Alas, we have had a Papi-Roid bomb dropped on us, and the inspiration has returned.

Like many, I am just completely numbed to the whole idea of these guys and their Roidy ways by now.  If Manny can return a hero from a 50 day suspension in LA, and Bonds can be sainted by the San Fran faithful, why should I get all worked up about Big Papi?  Yeh, he lied.  They all lied. 

I don't understand how this can come as a surprise to anyone now.  I can't get emotional about it, and I don't feel like the Sox World Series are tarnished.  I'm over it.

In today's world, being a fan of professional sports means having to turn a blind eye to the inherent shortcomings and doing your best to enjoy the GAME.  At the root of it, that's all that's left.  The competition between the lines. 

Cast aside your worries about the ridiculous amounts of money these guys make.  Turn a blind eye to the roids and the lies and the egos that are inflated worse than the physiques.  Set it all aside, and you can still enjoy the game.

Not an easy task, but that's the only way I can do it.  Sure, it gets harder and harder to keep taking the blows against the purity of sports. The only thing I can say is, recognize that the whole thing stinks, but the game is still the game.  If you love it, keep watching and try your [dang]dest to set the issues aside...Or go watch a Cape League game!

Media
Talking Horses
Last night I introduced my daughters to the joys of Mr. Ed via the wonders of YouTube.  The talking horse and his erstwhile friend Wilbur were still well off.  Ed was lobbying Wilbur to be included his will, while Wilbur was trying to play the game of not looking utterly insane to his lawyer.

In all of its black and white splendor, the plot was very simple, with no pretensions other than to make you laugh at the basic shtick of a talking horse with an attitude and a guy who is the only one who can hear him talk.

It made my 4 year old laugh, and that passes the test for me.

Out of all of the new behemoths of on line networking and entertainment, I might have to put YouTube at the top for its depth and genius.  I have been able to show my kids oodles of great stuff with just the click of a button.

When we were done with Mr. Ed, my girls were begging for "Pie Fight"...which of course (as Mr. Ed's song goes), could only mean one thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwirWWnzJKM

Life
Transition
I am the midst of a major transition in my life, and it can be trying.  I started school last winter to make a career change.  At the end of the summer I will be completely phased out of my life as a retail record store owner, and be completely immersed in the pursuit of a life in Special Education.

All is going well with school, and I feel very much at ease with my bail out plan for the biz.  I'm excited about school, and teaching.  I think I'm well suited for it and that's all good.  The difficult part is the finality of leaving something I have loved doing for 15 years. 

I can rationalize all of the good reasons to give up my business (and there are plenty), but the parts that I love are so ingrained in my being.  Not unlike losing a loved one, I will move on and find the things to fill those wholes, but there will always be a sense of loss.

My career adviser lady tells me you need to "honor" your interests and passions.  I think perhaps I overfed that "honoring" with my business for so long because I was so passionate about it.  I hope to fulfill that same sense passion by honoring another part of me as a teacher.

Interesting time though to be at the end of one path and jumping full force into another.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:56:28 PM by Redz »

GOCELTS

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Thanks for the glimpse at Redz, the man.  I must say, your daughters have sophisticated taste at such a young age. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Thanks for the glimpse at Redz, the man.  I must say, your daughters have sophisticated taste at such a young age. ;)

Only the finest for my  girls!

Beats Yo Gabba Gabba anyhow (though they may beg to differ)

GOCELTS

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
Very interesting Rant this week Redz.  Again, I am always happy that you share them with us.

1.  I am right with you on this one.  The enjoyment of sports to me is the competition.  All the thrilling moments of watching the best of the best go against one another.  This is also one of the reasons why I have always found it difficult to watch college sports, it always just seems like a less talented version of professional sports.  (I do however enjoy the tournament at the end of the college basketball season.)  But I too am so numb to all this PED stuff in baseball.  It stings a little bit more because its poppy, our big lovable hero.  But at this point it seems you have to assume everyone who was overwhelmingly successful over the last few years in baseball had some part in it.  And with the news today that Rashard Lewis tested positive for PED's it brings new relevance to the subject because now its in basketball.

Still, I love basketball because of the excitement of seeing the best do what they love.  When its almost the start of the game, I'm chilling at my brothers place, we're about to kick back and eat some food and watch a celtics game (or a pats or red sox game that has any significance to it,) those are some of the happiest and most exciting moments of my life.  I guess even PED scandals can't take that edge off for me when its gamenight.

2.  I can remember when I was very young watching both Mr. Ed and the three stooges.  They were in the regular repitoire of shows my brother and I would love to watch.  Its funny to think now that I didn't think twice that they were both in black and white considering how shocked I would be today to see a black and white show suddently come on tv.  Being able to relive those shows through youtube is a truly fantastic thing.  Youtube in general is so advanced now, that anytime I have a hankering to see any movie/television or piece of media, I can just go to youtube and type it in and there will always be something.  I use this overwhelmingly to aid my celticsblog posts because having the mind that I do, almost everything people say reminds me of some television show or moment from a movie.

3.  That must be a strange feeling leaving one life that you are so used to and enjoy to go for something totally different.  And personally, being someone who is involved in a media job as you are, it would be nearly impossible for me to imagine getting involved in a different field.  That being said, the field you are entering is full of excitement and can produce a life where you can be so proud each and every day of your life.  My mother works as a social worker for individuals with disabilities.  Her job is incredibly difficult, one that I could never do, but it is also incredibly rewarding.  She loves what she does and it invigorates her life to be so involved with something.  There is an undeniable pride that you feel when you devote your life to helping others.  I imagine that after a short time working in the field of special education you will be feeling the same kind of satisfaction.  One that has you fondly remembering the old days in the record shop, but happy to have made the transition.

Good luck Redz, I look forward to the next rendition of the rantz.

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
Just thought you should know this from the beginning in case of copyright infringement:
http://redrants.com/

I guess I could always throw a Z on the end of Rant too, but I never was a big fan of the Z for the S thing (then why redZ ---i dunno)

Its possible the other blog site just meant that they have Redr Ants and in reality has no likeness to what you are doing here.

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants)
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I'm on the board quite a bit and it seems to me that there are gazillions of Boston Celtic fans who exhibit this type of behavior on a daily basis even when presented with overwhelming facts that show their team to be an aging, middle of the pack, one shot championship squad. Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence they hold fast to your explanation of ..."My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH."... which is the behavior that perplexes you with your daughter.

Posts like this come perilously close to the line of trolling.  I've defended you in the past, but you're becoming a nuisance.

Please confine your comments to topics other than attacking the Celtics or Celtics fans.  Last warning.

That's not close to trolling--that is trolling. He just twisted an innocent topic and made it into an attack on the Celtics and their fans. He's obviously not interested in discussing the Celtics and supporting them--he's just here to troll and tear down a rival club and its fans. Ban him.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
Very interesting Rant this week Redz.  Again, I am always happy that you share them with us.

1.  I am right with you on this one.  The enjoyment of sports to me is the competition.  All the thrilling moments of watching the best of the best go against one another.  This is also one of the reasons why I have always found it difficult to watch college sports, it always just seems like a less talented version of professional sports.  (I do however enjoy the tournament at the end of the college basketball season.)  But I too am so numb to all this PED stuff in baseball.  It stings a little bit more because its poppy, our big lovable hero.  But at this point it seems you have to assume everyone who was overwhelmingly successful over the last few years in baseball had some part in it.  And with the news today that Rashard Lewis tested positive for PED's it brings new relevance to the subject because now its in basketball.

Still, I love basketball because of the excitement of seeing the best do what they love.  When its almost the start of the game, I'm chilling at my brothers place, we're about to kick back and eat some food and watch a celtics game (or a pats or red sox game that has any significance to it,) those are some of the happiest and most exciting moments of my life.  I guess even PED scandals can't take that edge off for me when its gamenight.

2.  I can remember when I was very young watching both Mr. Ed and the three stooges.  They were in the regular repitoire of shows my brother and I would love to watch.  Its funny to think now that I didn't think twice that they were both in black and white considering how shocked I would be today to see a black and white show suddently come on tv.  Being able to relive those shows through youtube is a truly fantastic thing.  Youtube in general is so advanced now, that anytime I have a hankering to see any movie/television or piece of media, I can just go to youtube and type it in and there will always be something.  I use this overwhelmingly to aid my celticsblog posts because having the mind that I do, almost everything people say reminds me of some television show or moment from a movie.

3.  That must be a strange feeling leaving one life that you are so used to and enjoy to go for something totally different.  And personally, being someone who is involved in a media job as you are, it would be nearly impossible for me to imagine getting involved in a different field.  That being said, the field you are entering is full of excitement and can produce a life where you can be so proud each and every day of your life.  My mother works as a social worker for individuals with disabilities.  Her job is incredibly difficult, one that I could never do, but it is also incredibly rewarding.  She loves what she does and it invigorates her life to be so involved with something.  There is an undeniable pride that you feel when you devote your life to helping others.  I imagine that after a short time working in the field of special education you will be feeling the same kind of satisfaction.  One that has you fondly remembering the old days in the record shop, but happy to have made the transition.

Good luck Redz, I look forward to the next rendition of the rantz.

And a fine rant yourself Professor!

GOCELTS

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 955

I think the lying is simply a defense mechanism, no matter how good or smart, it just happens.

Right, but sticking to her guns even when caught in an absurd lie?
At this point, you're better off with her actually sticking to her guns.  That's something kids have to learn young.  As she grows older she'll learn how absurd the lies are and will hopefully stop lying in the first place.  But if she starts backing down now she might have low-confidence for life.
She might sound silly now, but you'll be so proud when she sticks to her guns on issues that actually matter.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

I think the lying is simply a defense mechanism, no matter how good or smart, it just happens.

Right, but sticking to her guns even when caught in an absurd lie?
At this point, you're better off with her actually sticking to her guns.  That's something kids have to learn young.  As she grows older she'll learn how absurd the lies are and will hopefully stop lying in the first place.  But if she starts backing down now she might have low-confidence for life.
She might sound silly now, but you'll be so proud when she sticks to her guns on issues that actually matter.

Thanks Mgent.  Didn't see this til now.

I have zero doubts that she is going to stick to her guns forever!

GOCELTS

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 8/19/09
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS