Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 71365 times)

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I did a little tribute to Steve W yesterday and sort of enjoyed it.  I've left the "Daily Bumble" name aside as a one day homage to Steve's Babbles. 

Instead of a bumble or babble I decided to stick to 3 topics close to me.

1) Sports
2) Media - be it TV, radio, movies, newspapers (what are they?) etc..
3) Life - as in, the things that happen while I'm living.  We'll leave the after life stuff for that other thread - though I promise to write from the after life should it prove to be feasible.

Again, not sure how much time or stamina I'll have for this (or whether anyone gives enough of a poop to read it), but for today, for starters, I offer 3 bits of rants.

Feedback welcome (good or bad - seriously, I can handle the bad)
--------------------------------------------------

Sports

Free Agency/Cap space/Bird rights/LLE etc...
Sometimes I feel like the little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and hums really loud to avoid hearing whatever is being said to him.  When it comes to all of the complexities about the NBA Cap system I just can't handle it.  I love following player movement, but the salary implications just make me nutty.  So I blindly choose to ignore them whenever possible.  I can rationalize that they exist, and that they are a factor in every move, I just can't be bothered by them.  When moves happen, I'm curious to see how a guy works out in his new digs, but how he got there has become too nauseatingly complicated for me.  (and I do appreciate Roy's efforts at making some sense of this quagmire ;) )

I long for a simple player for player swap based on what a team needs.  The fact that an expiring contract often holds more value than what a guy can do on the court displays the kookiness of the current structure.

Media

Slave to Tivo
Do you ever feel like the convenience of a DVR has begun to rule the way you watch TV now?  I've had the same Tivo for 5 years now, and I can safely say it has, at times, altered MY schedule for fear of screwing up its schedule.  I understand there are more there are newer versions of Tivo out there, but I am also slave to the lifetime subscription I bought into many moons ago ($200 up front, as opposed to $20 a month for eternity).  The deal only works for the unit I'm on, and I refuse to let go of the sweet deal - even though I'mm about 3 years into the "gravy" portion of the lifetime deal.

Anyhow, the original point is, that I have a hard time watching live TV now - especially sporting events.  I'll actually find something to do so that a game can record and I can watch it under my control.  I find this to be a really queer thing ("queer" as in "odd"). 

I love my Tivo, and I can't imagine TV without any more, but I do resent that it has started to rule my viewing habits.

Life

Lying
We all do it some level or another.  Some lies are obviously worse than others. For today I'd like to discuss perhaps the toughest lies: the ones you tell to yourself. Specifically, I'm currently dealing with a hardheaded redheaded 6 year old, who has been honing her skills at lying. 

This is not unusual.  All kids lie to cover up something they did or didn't do.  My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH. 

When I say ridiculous I mean something that she clearly knows to not be true.  Something like not knowing what "stop" means.  My daughter is headed into first grade and reads at a 4th grade level - SHE KNOWS WHAT STOP MEANS.  And yet, when pressed she will not admit that she is lying.  I have tried all angles of trying to point out how insulting her lies are, but more so have tried to have her ask herself for the truth.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into the psyche of a stubborn little kid.  I've certainly had my own share of things that I've somehow rationalized or shoved to the side of my mind so that I don't have to deal with the truth of the matter. I just don't want her to grow up and have lies be her way of coping with reality.  As much as I hate being lied to, I more so hate that she is not recognizing that she is lying to herself, and that she doesn't feel comfortable enough admitting she is wrong over a trivial matter.

Can't wait for the teens!

Of no surprise to me, I loved every word of this, couldn't agree more with the sports/honesty parts and momentarily didn't feel so jealous of all those with TiVo.  Momentarily.  The moment was fleeting.

As I told Redz earlier, I'm glad he's moved away from the Bumble because he deserved something better - perhaps the "Daily Blather" or "Daily Bluster" - or for any particularly emotional ones, the "Daily Blubber." 

I kid, of course.   :D  Really enjoying this, Redz.  Please do keep on.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 12:30:48 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 5043

Care to wager about 1000 TPs on that one??

My guess is when you get to the teenage years you will be getting all nostalgic on us about how much easier it was to be a dad taking care of your daughter when she was younger.

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 5356
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

My guess is when you get to the teenage years you will be getting all nostalgic on us about how much easier it was to be a dad taking care of your daughter when she was younger.

Yeh, I was being sarcastic there Nick.  She's already a clever conniving handful.  By 13 she will have honed her skills all the more and have the added extra hormonal stuff kicking in...as my nana would say "OY VAY".

GOCELTS

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:06 AM »

Online nickagneta

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 5043

Yeh, I was being sarcastic there Nick.  She's already a clever conniving handful.  By 13 she will have honed her skills all the more and have the added extra hormonal stuff kicking in...as my nana would say "OY VAY".
This is what I get for posting at 3 and 4 in the morning. Lack of sarcasm-dar!! ;D

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm on the board quite a bit and it seems to me that there are gazillions of Boston Celtic fans who exhibit this type of behavior on a daily basis even when presented with overwhelming facts that show their team to be an aging, middle of the pack, one shot championship squad. Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence they hold fast to your explanation of ..."My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH."... which is the behavior that perplexes you with your daughter.

Posts like this come perilously close to the line of trolling.  I've defended you in the past, but you're becoming a nuisance.

Please confine your comments to topics other than attacking the Celtics or Celtics fans.  Last warning.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 177
I'm on the board quite a bit and it seems to me that there are gazillions of Boston Celtic fans who exhibit this type of behavior on a daily basis even when presented with overwhelming facts that show their team to be an aging, middle of the pack, one shot championship squad. Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence they hold fast to your explanation of ..."My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH."... which is the behavior that perplexes you with your daughter.

Posts like this come perilously close to the line of trolling.  I've defended you in the past, but you're becoming a nuisance.

Please confine your comments to topics other than attacking the Celtics or Celtics fans.  Last warning.

Nice going Redz, you created a thread that got someone to irk Roy.  Nice real nice.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod

This is what I get for posting at 3 and 4 in the morning. Lack of sarcasm-dar!! ;D

I think we've become so atoned to the  ;) type thingies that are sarcasto-meters are down a bot.

GOCELTS

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
    • Realeyez Independent Cinema
First of all, I will miss the daily bumble.  I put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears into finding that evil clown coming out of the trash can.  But I do have to admit that "Redz Rants" has a nice ring to it.  You get one TP for the name, and in one hour you get another because, well, you're awesome.

1.  I feel exactly the same way as you do when it comes to the cap and salary stuff.  I'm not the great at math, but even Roy's explanations of these things in the most simple language possible kinda makes me feel like this: (seconds 00:30 - 00:56)
http://watchfamilyguyonline.org/movie/33-Family_Guy_322_When_You_Wish_Upon_a_Weinstein.html

2.  Never owned a Tivo so I can't exactly relate to it changing my viewing experience.  I will say this though.  When I go over to a friends house and they have tivo, the convenience of it is astounding.  I never imagined what a difference it makes to be able to cancel out the commercials.  Still, I somehow cannot get over the fact that I'm not watching it live.  I know its the same if you don't know the outcome, but I can't get the same kind of excitement as when I know its happening right then and there, in from of my eyes.

3.  I don't have kids.  I'm 25 and don't feel that I'll be ready for children for quite some time.  Of course there is that piece of me that doesn't want to wait for too long for fear that I'll be too old when they will be so young.  However, my parents are both in their sixties.  When they had me my mom was 35 and my dad 36.  I have a fantastic relationship with them and that helps me to dispel the notion that there's some time you need to have kids by. 

But I digress.  It's amazing to think about a kids social development.  I feel so bad when/if I lie.  It stabs at the core of me, and I can't forget it easily.  There is such a weight I carry in my own life when I know that I've lied.  I wonder if you daughter feels that at all.  Is there a piece of her, even if its small and lives deep down inside of her, that knows she's lying to daddy and consequently pains her?  Or is her moral capacity at this point not developed enough to feel that same kind of burden from lying?  At what age do we understand the weight of our lies?  At what point does our conscious recognize the joy and integrity of being honest to ourselves and others?  I'm sure when I was a kid I lied about things, though I can't remember specific details, to get away with things I had done.  I remember a famous story from my childhood (I must have been about 4 or 5 years old,) when my brother and I were playing in his room and we knocked over a table lamp.  It fell to the ground and smashed into hundreds of pieces.  My parents, hearing the loud noise, of course approached us to find out what happened, and we had come up with an elaborate story we felt was foolproof.  "The wind blew into the room and knocked the light off of the table," we both explained to them.  The problem was that the windows were both closed and neither my brother (who was only 2 1/2 years older than me) nor I were big or strong enough to open and close them making the physics of it all impossible.  No matter how many times my parents gave us a way out, holding on to this lie was the most important thing for us, even when the obvious was pointed out to us (that the window was shut.)  I don't remember exactly what we said, the wind came through the wall, or it blew so hard that it closed the window too right after.  But no matter what, that was our story, and I remember eventually truly believing it.  I convinced myself of the story and felt no shame in lying to my parents faces because that didn't even play a role in the whole thing.

Of course that feels so far away now, and I am proud enough of a person to say that lying is a very rare activity for me.  Even omission (some would say it is different than lying) is not something I'm able to do.  I guess what I'm saying (and this coming from someone who can't pretend to know what he's talking about when it comes to raising kids) is that your daughter is so young.  I don't know you personally, though I feel I know a lot about your personality from interacting with you and reading the stuff you write on this blog.  If you are anywhere as nice, intelligent, and thoughtful in real life as you are here, than I know enough that she's got as good an example as you possibly could dream having for what she should strive to be like when she grows up.  I have no doubts that you are a wonderful and loving father, and your virtues and lifelong influence on her will lead her most likely down a similar road.  I imagine she'll learn from you as time goes on what is right and what is wrong.  And she will be fine (although she might have a strange obsession with evil clowns...)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:01:34 PM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
First of all, I will miss the daily bumble.  I put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears into finding that evil clown coming out of the trash can.  But I do have to admit that "Redz Rants" has a nice ring to it.  You get one TP for the name, and in one hour you get another because, well, you're awesome.

1.  I feel exactly the same way as you do when it comes to the cap and salary stuff.  I'm not the great at math, but even Roy's explanations of these things in the most simple language possible kinda makes me feel like this: (seconds 00:30 - 00:56)
http://watchfamilyguyonline.org/movie/33-Family_Guy_322_When_You_Wish_Upon_a_Weinstein.html

2.  Never owned a Tivo so I can't exactly relate to it changing my viewing experience.  I will say this though.  When I go over to a friends house and they have tivo, the convenience of it is astounding.  I never imagined what a difference it makes to be able to cancel out the commercials.  Still, I somehow cannot get over the fact that I'm not watching it live.  I know its the same if you don't know the outcome, but I can't get the same kind of excitement as when I know its happening right then and there, in from of my eyes.

3.  I don't have kids.  I'm 25 and don't feel that I'll be ready for children for quite some time.  Of course there is that piece of me that doesn't want to wait for too long for fear that I'll be too old when they will be so young.  However, my parents are both in their sixties.  When they had me my mom was 35 and my dad 36.  I have a fantastic relationship with them and that helps me to dispel the notion that there's some time you need to have kids by. 

But I digress.  It's amazing to think about a kids social development.  I feel so bad when/if I lie.  It stabs at the core of me, and I can't forget it easily.  There is such a weight I carry in my own life when I know that I've lied.  I wonder if you daughter feels that at all.  Is there a piece of her, even if its small and lives deep down inside of her, that knows she's lying to daddy and consequently pains her?  Or is her moral capacity at this point not developed enough to feel that same kind of burden from lying?  At what age do we understand the weight of our lies?  At what point does our conscious recognize the joy and integrity of being honest to ourselves and others?  I'm sure when I was a kid I lied about things, though I can't remember specific details, to get away with things I had done.  I remember a famous story from my childhood (I must have been about 4 or 5 years old,) when my brother and I were playing in his room and we knocked over a table lamp.  It fell to the ground and smashed into hundreds of pieces.  My parents, hearing the loud noise, of course approached us to find out what happened, and we had come up with an elaborate story we felt was foolproof.  "The wind blew into the room and knocked the light off of the table," we both explained to them.  The problem was that the windows were both closed and neither my brother (who was only 2 1/2 years older than me) nor I were big or strong enough to open and close them making the physics of it all impossible.  No matter how many times my parents gave us a way out, holding on to this lie was the most important thing for us, even when the obvious was pointed out to us (that the window was shut.)  I don't remember exactly what we said, the wind came through the wall, or it blew so hard that it closed the window too right after.  But no matter what, that was our story, and I remember eventually truly believing it.  I convinced myself of the story and felt no shame in lying to my parents faces because that didn't even play a role in the whole thing.

Of course that feels so far away now, and I am proud enough of a person to say that lying is a very rare activity for me.  Even omission (some would say it is different than lying) is not something I'm able to do.  I guess what I'm saying (and this coming from someone who can't pretend to know what he's talking about when it comes to raising kids) is that your daughter is so young.  I don't know you personally, though I feel I know a lot about your personality from interacting with you and reading the stuff you write on this blog.  If you are anywhere as nice, intelligent, and thoughtful in real life as you are here, than I know enough that she's got as good an example as you possibly could dream having for what she should strive to be like when she grows up.  I have no doubts that you are a wonderful and loving father, and your virtues and lifelong influence on her will lead her most likely down a similar road.  I imagine she'll learn from you as time goes on what is right and what is wrong.  And she will be fine (although she might have a strange obsession with evil clowns...)

Wow Prof.  I didn't see this until just now,  That's some excellent stuff.  Thanks for the kind words, and for relating the stories of your youth.

As far as not being able to relate to what it's like to be a parent, there's no way to explain it until you're there.  That you can be so completely and utterly filled with love and pride, and so utterly frustrated within seconds of each other is quite a thing.  It certainly has given me a lot better perspective on my parents.

Anyhow, glad I checked in and saw your post.  I'm gonna work on a new one today time permitting.

GOCELTS

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
divider

GOCELTS

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Yup ya do
    • The Caped Cod
7/21/2009

Sports
John Smoltz and the Washed Up Legend
Last night after getting the girls to bed, and finishing up the last of this weekend's school stuff, I checked in on the Red Sox score on line.  I saw that Smoltz had only given up 1 run through 5 innings, and the Sox had the lead.  I figured this deserved my attention, so I went down to the TV, successfully managing to avoid an accompanying bag of tortilla chips, and turned on the game.

Turns out I was just in time to witness the unraveling of Smoltz.  Two strikeouts and three home runs later Terry Francona ended the former Cy Young winner's misery.  I don't know what he was doing the first 5 innings, but the Rangers were smacking the crap out of whatever he was serving up in the 6th.   

I love Smoltz, and I know there's a long term plan here where the Sox are only concerned about what he has to offer in October, but it's painful to watch a guy who has been so dominant, get hammered around like that.

Maybe he can turn it around.  Maybe they can have a shorter leash on him, and try to avoid the dreaded "one bad inning", for now it's rough to see a guy be a fraction of his former self.

Larry Bird's last season and the ensuing Dream Team stint in `92 was an extreme case of seeing a legend - THE LEGEND - turn from All Star to All Washed Up before your eyes. 

Willie Mays and Babe Ruth batted sub .200 their final seasons if memory served.  The Babe was ailing woefully, and Willie had just plain gotten old, yet the Mets couldn't resist the opportunity to give him a curtain call in New York.

One of the most depressing things I ever saw in sports was Goose Gossage in his final season.  The Goose had returned to the Yankees as a mopup man, and the Red Sox were beating the Bombers by double digits.  Goose couldn't get a guy out, but was left hung out to dry to save the Yankees bullpen.  As much as it's never a bad thing to see the Sox pound the Yankees, this one was painful.

I sincerely hope Smoltz has something left in him, but if he doesn't I hope this doesn't linger.  It would be sad to see.

Media
Cadillac Records
Well worth checking out for a fan of the blues.  Cadillac Records tells the story of the founding of Chess Records and with it the birth of a whole new sound of electric, raw, blues.  Muddy Waters (Jeffrey Wright), Howlin Wolf (Eamonn Walker), Etta James (Beyonce), Little Walter (Columbus Short), Willie Dixon (Cedric the Entertainer & Chuck Berry (Mos Def) were the key figures featured in the film - all signed by label founder Leonard Chess (Adrian Brody).

They did a really nice of giving some insights into the artists and how their key songs and sounds evolved.  Some of the "badass bluesman" stuff seemed a little over the top, but I guess you need to allow some poetic license to a Hollywood production - it's not a documentary after all.

For my money, Howlin Wolf & Muddy Waters are top 5 blues men. I wasn't aware of how much they butted heads.  If you're into them, check out this movie.

Life
Fun Buttons and Bonus Features
One of my earliest memories is of watching Speed Racer on TV.  I must have been 3 years old or so.  The thing I remembered most about Speed Racer's car was that it had all of these cool buttons that did cool things.  In particular I loved the one that made the car jump into the air.

Thanks to Speed Racer, I get excited still about any every day object that offers even the slightest added extra bonus.  I still get a little thrill every time I get water and ice cubes from my fridge without opening it.  Lighters in a car.  The rear window wiper.  A pen with four color choices. 

Anything that has been added to the main function of anything just fascinates me.  The emergency phone in the elevator...Beach chairs with built in cup holders...

To this end, cell phones, and now Iphones, have me on complete overdrive.  I honestly don't think I can own an Iphone for fear of all of its applications putting me into an added extra bonus function dysfunctional funk.

...the built in sharpener on a box of 64 Crayola Crayons - oh HELL YEH!...

GOCELTS

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/21/09
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 52
Smoltz ran out of gas...through 5, he had thrown about 75 pitches and was looking really really good.  Then he unraveled.  I think he is still building his arm strength up...plus, on one of the homers, he slipped off the mound, and apparently the ball was a meatball as a result

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »

Offline idrinkdetergent

• Amir Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 24
Im with you on the extras, I have an Ipod touch and I don't think id even function any more if i had an Iphone because i could use it anywhere and be constantly updating facebook/twitter. And the built in crayon sharpener was always awesome!
"Sam Cassell was heckling on the sideline when I walked down, He looked at me and was like, ‘You're getting the ball, I know you're getting the ball!'
said Allen.

And did Cassell, a man of many words, have anything to say after that?

"No, I told him he needed to wear a tie."

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
7/21/2009

Sports
John Smoltz and the Washed Up Legend
Last night after getting the girls to bed, and finishing up the last of this weekend's school stuff, I checked in on the Red Sox score on line.  I saw that Smoltz had only given up 1 run through 5 innings, and the Sox had the lead.  I figured this deserved my attention, so I went down to the TV, successfully managing to avoid an accompanying bag of tortilla chips, and turned on the game.

Turns out I was just in time to witness the unraveling of Smoltz.  Two strikeouts and three home runs later Terry Francona ended the former Cy Young winner's misery.  I don't know what he was doing the first 5 innings, but the Rangers were smacking the crap out of whatever he was serving up in the 6th.   

I love Smoltz, and I know there's a long term plan here where the Sox are only concerned about what he has to offer in October, but it's painful to watch a guy who has been so dominant, get hammered around like that.

Maybe he can turn it around.  Maybe they can have a shorter leash on him, and try to avoid the dreaded "one bad inning", for now it's rough to see a guy be a fraction of his former self.

Larry Bird's last season and the ensuing Dream Team stint in `92 was an extreme case of seeing a legend - THE LEGEND - turn from All Star to All Washed Up before your eyes. 

Willie Mays and Babe Ruth batted sub .200 their final seasons if memory served.  The Babe was ailing woefully, and Willie had just plain gotten old, yet the Mets couldn't resist the opportunity to give him a curtain call in New York.

One of the most depressing things I ever saw in sports was Goose Gossage in his final season.  The Goose had returned to the Yankees as a mopup man, and the Red Sox were beating the Bombers by double digits.  Goose couldn't get a guy out, but was left hung out to dry to save the Yankees bullpen.  As much as it's never a bad thing to see the Sox pound the Yankees, this one was painful.

I sincerely hope Smoltz has something left in him, but if he doesn't I hope this doesn't linger.  It would be sad to see.

Media
Cadillac Records
Well worth checking out for a fan of the blues.  Cadillac Records tells the story of the founding of Chess Records and with it the birth of a whole new sound of electric, raw, blues.  Muddy Waters (Jeffrey Wright), Howlin Wolf (Eamonn Walker), Etta James (Beyonce), Little Walter (Columbus Short), Willie Dixon (Cedric the Entertainer & Chuck Berry (Mos Def) were the key figures featured in the film - all signed by label founder Leonard Chess (Adrian Brody).

They did a really nice of giving some insights into the artists and how their key songs and sounds evolved.  Some of the "badass bluesman" stuff seemed a little over the top, but I guess you need to allow some poetic license to a Hollywood production - it's not a documentary after all.

For my money, Howlin Wolf & Muddy Waters are top 5 blues men. I wasn't aware of how much they butted heads.  If you're into them, check out this movie.

Life
Fun Buttons and Bonus Features
One of my earliest memories is of watching Speed Racer on TV.  I must have been 3 years old or so.  The thing I remembered most about Speed Racer's car was that it had all of these cool buttons that did cool things.  In particular I loved the one that made the car jump into the air.

Thanks to Speed Racer, I get excited still about any every day object that offers even the slightest added extra bonus.  I still get a little thrill every time I get water and ice cubes from my fridge without opening it.  Lighters in a car.  The rear window wiper.  A pen with four color choices. 

Anything that has been added to the main function of anything just fascinates me.  The emergency phone in the elevator...Beach chairs with built in cup holders...

To this end, cell phones, and now Iphones, have me on complete overdrive.  I honestly don't think I can own an Iphone for fear of all of its applications putting me into an added extra bonus function dysfunctional funk.

...the built in sharpener on a box of 64 Crayola Crayons - oh HELL YEH!...

Just thought you should know this from the beginning in case of copyright infringement:
http://redrants.com/
Personally I much prefer your rants, and thank god you use the "Z" at the end your name.

1.  I was incredibly excited at the onset of the Sox season that they got Smoltz.  For years I had actually imagined them getting him somehow.  I had Smoltz every year that I did fantasy baseball (although I gave up fantasy sports for good.)  I purely love the guy.

I'm not in the States this summer and for this haven't gotten to see many Sox games in general.  And I certainly haven't gotten to see any of the games Smoltz has pitched, but I have to imagine that the somewhat bad results he's gotten so far have to be a fluke.  He's been so effective for so many years and the last few has used pure veteran savvy to work his way to being dominant.

The sox have a great pitching staff and that excites me a lot because, more than hitting (which comes and goes in spurts,) you can always rely on deep and good pitching.

I've been lucky enough to not really go through the sadness of watching one of my personal favorites and greats fade away.  I began to really be a fan of the Celtics in the late 80's and thankfully can't remember the demise of the then big three very clearly.  I remember much more vividly the death of Lewis and the years of futility there after.  I don't know how they compare in terms of misery, but I guess neither are very fun.

2.  This list is some of my favorite and most influential musicians.  I've never heard of this movie but the cast sounds awesome and interesting too.  Thanks for the recommendation and I look forward to checking it out.  TP.

3.  I have a iTouch.  It's awesome.  I didn't think it would be that much more awesome than a simple iPod, but it is.  If you are truly addicted to extra functions then you may go into a siezure the first time you use one.

On that note, how about computers?!  Our family had one of these in the 80's when I was growing up:

Now I'm sitting in Spain, in my bed, without a single cord running into my computer, talking with thousands of strangers about the celtics.  My computer is thousands of times more powerful than the one pictured above and I'm using a rather normal computer by today's standards.  You must have also been astounded at the increased functionality of computers in an awe inspiring way Redz. 

One last thing that the Speed Racer story randomly reminded me of.  When I was in high school and my friends and I were getting our first access to cars, one friend's mom bought him a 1980's toyota camry.  This camry had a button, big and red, that said "emergency" on it.  I've never seen anything like it since.  It was near the emergency brake and was part of the original manufactured car, and I had no idea what it did.  I was convinced for many years that the button would activate the ejection seats or split the car in half.  The car was totaled in an accident and suffice it to say, I never got to find out what it did.  It's the button that got away.

TP...keep the Rants coming.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:08:21 PM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games