Author Topic: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12  (Read 80013 times)

Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants) - 7/13/12
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 5386
  • Yup ya do
I did a little tribute to Steve W yesterday and sort of enjoyed it.  I've left the "Daily Bumble" name aside as a one day homage to Steve's Babbles.  

Instead of a bumble or babble I decided to stick to 3 topics close to me.

1) Sports
2) Media - be it TV, radio, movies, newspapers (what are they?) etc..
3) Life - as in, the things that happen while I'm living.  We'll leave the after life stuff for that other thread - though I promise to write from the after life should it prove to be feasible.

Again, not sure how much time or stamina I'll have for this (or whether anyone gives enough of a poop to read it), but for today, for starters, I offer 3 bits of rants.

Feedback welcome (good or bad - seriously, I can handle the bad)
--------------------------------------------------

Sports

Free Agency/Cap space/Bird rights/LLE etc...
Sometimes I feel like the little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and hums really loud to avoid hearing whatever is being said to him.  When it comes to all of the complexities about the NBA Cap system I just can't handle it.  I love following player movement, but the salary implications just make me nutty.  So I blindly choose to ignore them whenever possible.  I can rationalize that they exist, and that they are a factor in every move, I just can't be bothered by them.  When moves happen, I'm curious to see how a guy works out in his new digs, but how he got there has become too nauseatingly complicated for me.  (and I do appreciate Roy's efforts at making some sense of this quagmire ;) )

I long for a simple player for player swap based on what a team needs.  The fact that an expiring contract often holds more value than what a guy can do on the court displays the kookiness of the current structure.

Media

Slave to Tivo
Do you ever feel like the convenience of a DVR has begun to rule the way you watch TV now?  I've had the same Tivo for 5 years now, and I can safely say it has, at times, altered MY schedule for fear of screwing up its schedule.  I understand there are more there are newer versions of Tivo out there, but I am also slave to the lifetime subscription I bought into many moons ago ($200 up front, as opposed to $20 a month for eternity).  The deal only works for the unit I'm on, and I refuse to let go of the sweet deal - even though I'mm about 3 years into the "gravy" portion of the lifetime deal.

Anyhow, the original point is, that I have a hard time watching live TV now - especially sporting events.  I'll actually find something to do so that a game can record and I can watch it under my control.  I find this to be a really queer thing ("queer" as in "odd").  

I love my Tivo, and I can't imagine TV without any more, but I do resent that it has started to rule my viewing habits.

Life

Lying
We all do it some level or another.  Some lies are obviously worse than others. For today I'd like to discuss perhaps the toughest lies: the ones you tell to yourself. Specifically, I'm currently dealing with a hardheaded redheaded 6 year old, who has been honing her skills at lying.  

This is not unusual.  All kids lie to cover up something they did or didn't do.  My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH.  

When I say ridiculous I mean something that she clearly knows to not be true.  Something like not knowing what "stop" means.  My daughter is headed into first grade and reads at a 4th grade level - SHE KNOWS WHAT STOP MEANS.  And yet, when pressed she will not admit that she is lying.  I have tried all angles of trying to point out how insulting her lies are, but more so have tried to have her ask herself for the truth.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into the psyche of a stubborn little kid.  I've certainly had my own share of things that I've somehow rationalized or shoved to the side of my mind so that I don't have to deal with the truth of the matter. I just don't want her to grow up and have lies be her way of coping with reality.  As much as I hate being lied to, I more so hate that she is not recognizing that she is lying to herself, and that she doesn't feel comfortable enough admitting she is wrong over a trivial matter.

Can't wait for the teens!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:39:08 PM by Redz »

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

Re: Sports, Media & Life (Redz' Rants)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 177
Sports

Sometimes I feel like the little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and hums really loud to avoid hearing whatever is being said to him.  When it comes to all of the complexities about the NBA Cap system I just can't handle it.  I love following player movement, but the salary implications just make me nutty.  So I blindly choose to ignore them whenever possible.  I can rationalize that they exist, and that they are a factor in every move, I just can't be bothered by them.  When moves happen, I'm curious to see how a guy works out in his new digs, but how he got there has become too nauseatingly complicated for me.  (and I do appreciate Roy's efforts at making some sense of this quagmire ;) )

I long for a simple player for player swap based on what a team needs.  The fact that an expiring contract often holds more value than what a guy can do on the court displays the kookiness of the current structure.

You know what would really solve some things??  The partial elimination of guaranteed contracts that leave dead money on the cap for under performing players.  In the NFL the players are cut without any implication to the team (except for bonus money that remains on the cap).  I think perhaps there's a happy medium to this - players being guaranteed 1 year of salary if they are cut and not picked up, but that money not being left on the books (or something similar).  IMHO, this would give teams a lot more flexibility and I think would ensure a harder working player.

Slave to Tivo
Do you ever feel like the convenience of a DVR has begun to rule the way you watch TV now?  I've had the same Tivo for 5 years now, and I can safely say it has, at times, altered MY schedule for fear of screwing up its schedule.  I understand there are more there are newer versions of Tivo out there, but I am also slave to the lifetime subscription I bought into many moons ago ($200 up front, as opposed to $20 a month for eternity).  The deal only works for the unit I'm on, and I refuse to let go of the sweet deal - even though I'mm about 3 years into the "gravy" portion of the lifetime deal.

Anyhow, the original point is, that I have a hard time watching live TV now - especially sporting events.  I'll actually find something to do so that a game can record and I can watch it under my control.  I find this to be a really queer thing ("queer" as in "odd"). 

I love my Tivo, and I can't imagine TV without any more, but I do resent that it has started to rule my viewing habits.

I agree with you regarding normal TV programing, but when it comes to sports and news -- I'll put up with the commercials.

Life

Lying
We all do it some level or another.  Some lies are obviously worse than others. For today I'd like to discuss perhaps the toughest lies: the ones you tell to yourself. Specifically, I'm currently dealing with a hardheaded redheaded 6 year old, who has been honing her skills at lying. 

This is not unusual.  All kids lie to cover up something they did or didn't do.  My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH. 

When I say ridiculous I mean something that she clearly knows to not be true.  Something like not knowing what "stop" means.  My daughter is headed into first grade and reads at a 4th grade level - SHE KNOWS WHAT STOP MEANS.  And yet, when pressed she will not admit that she is lying.  I have tried all angles of trying to point out how insulting her lies are, but more so have tried to have her ask herself for the truth.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into the psyche of a stubborn little kid.  I've certainly had my own share of things that I've somehow rationalized or shoved to the side of my mind so that I don't have to deal with the truth of the matter. I just don't want her to grow up and have lies be her way of coping with reality.  As much as I hate being lied to, I more so hate that she is not recognizing that she is lying to herself, and that she doesn't feel comfortable enough admitting she is wrong over a trivial matter.

Can't wait for the teens!

I think the lying is simply a defense mechanism, no matter how good or smart, it just happens.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do

I think the lying is simply a defense mechanism, no matter how good or smart, it just happens.

Right, but sticking to her guns even when caught in an absurd lie?

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2286
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sports

Sometimes I feel like the little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and hums really loud to avoid hearing whatever is being said to him.  When it comes to all of the complexities about the NBA Cap system I just can't handle it.  I love following player movement, but the salary implications just make me nutty.  So I blindly choose to ignore them whenever possible.  I can rationalize that they exist, and that they are a factor in every move, I just can't be bothered by them.  When moves happen, I'm curious to see how a guy works out in his new digs, but how he got there has become too nauseatingly complicated for me.  (and I do appreciate Roy's efforts at making some sense of this quagmire ;) )

I long for a simple player for player swap based on what a team needs.  The fact that an expiring contract often holds more value than what a guy can do on the court displays the kookiness of the current structure.

I hear you. When I heard that Pat Riley flew to Tahiti last week with Larry Miller in order to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate which they then coupled with the bi-lunar quarterly septemial eclipse exception in an effort to make a boozer trade work out , I just felt lost.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 177

When I have my kids back to the wall, I jump on their side, "wow, that's a good one, were you nervous that I'd catch you?"  Sometimes it works.

"When I err every one can see it, but not when I lie." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, [dang]ed lies and statistics."  Benjamin Disraeli

did I ever tell you about my crush on a cute little red headed girl?

sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do

When I have my kids back to the wall, I jump on their side, "wow, that's a good one, were you nervous that I'd catch you?"  Sometimes it works.

"When I err every one can see it, but not when I lie." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, [dang]ed lies and statistics."  Benjamin Disraeli

did I ever tell you about my crush on a cute little red headed girl?

Thanks for the words of wisdom (really)

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Buy the redhead this t-shirt:

Maybe (just maybe) she'll stop lying  :)
Anyways, good rant (especially "life), TP.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do

Thanks ACF...She's a handful, but she's awesome.  The highs are high and the lows are low.  But, oh the highs!

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Thanks ACF...She's a handful, but she's awesome.  The highs are high and the lows are low.  But, oh the highs!

I remember how my sister was.
Especially in the teens  :o
I'm sure you'll manage.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:41:40 PM »

Offline Weediam

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Anything is possiblllleeeee!!!!!
Redz,

I am not a father but I grew up with five siblings, two younger, and my mother ran (and still runs) a day care out of our home.  Therefore, I've seen my fare share of six-year-old behavior.

To me, the issue of "lying" and "telling the truth" may be a bit too complex for a 6 year old's mind to grasp.  It's something that adults like us grapple with in our everyday lives, and will continue to until we die.  So, it's hard to expect that six year old will suddenly realize the consequences of lies, even if she reads a a fourth grade level (impressive by the way).

My thoughts would be to not worry about it too much, and if it continues at an older age, address it when she's mature enough to discuss the consequences of lying.  Until then, enjoy the subtle joys of having a six year old around, because as they grow older it is hard to maintain their innocence.

-Weed

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do
Redz,

I am not a father but I grew up with five siblings, two younger, and my mother ran (and still runs) a day care out of our home.  Therefore, I've seen my fare share of six-year-old behavior.

To me, the issue of "lying" and "telling the truth" may be a bit too complex for a 6 year old's mind to grasp.  It's something that adults like us grapple with in our everyday lives, and will continue to until we die.  So, it's hard to expect that six year old will suddenly realize the consequences of lies, even if she reads a a fourth grade level (impressive by the way).

My thoughts would be to not worry about it too much, and if it continues at an older age, address it when she's mature enough to discuss the consequences of lying.  Until then, enjoy the subtle joys of having a six year old around, because as they grow older it is hard to maintain their innocence.

-Weed

Thanks Weed, good stuff.  It's easy for me to lose track of her maturity level because she's so flippin' smart and talks a good game with a very sassy attitude at times.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline DJ Bento Box

• Semi Ojeleye
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • "It ain't easy being green."
Maybe the issue of... "toughest lies: the ones you tell to yourself."... is actually more ingrained in heredity as opposed to a learned and decided upon behavior than we would like to think.

I'm on the board quite a bit and it seems to me that there are gazillions of Boston Celtic fans who exhibit this type of behavior on a daily basis even when presented with overwhelming facts that show their team to be an aging, middle of the pack, one shot championship squad. Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence they hold fast to your explanation of ..."My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH."... which is the behavior that perplexes you with your daughter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with her. She's just a young Boston Celtic fan.

Hopefully I helped Redz.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do
Maybe the issue of... "toughest lies: the ones you tell to yourself."... is actually more ingrained in heredity as opposed to a learned and decided upon behavior than we would like to think.

I'm on the board quite a bit and it seems to me that there are gazillions of Boston Celtic fans who exhibit this type of behavior on a daily basis even when presented with overwhelming facts that show their team to be an aging, middle of the pack, one shot championship squad. Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence they hold fast to your explanation of ..."My particular bone to pick has been that she has actually convinced herself that an absolutely ridiculous premise is THE TRUTH."... which is the behavior that perplexes you with your daughter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with her. She's just a young Boston Celtic fan.

Hopefully I helped Redz.  ;)

Oh man, she would kick everyone's rear ends in here!

I can see her saying something like: "The Celtics did not win the 2008 NBA Championship."  Then defending it relentlessly.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:12:34 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 82
Redz

Sorry to hear about your tivo addiction.....now you know why i never wanted one

LOVE the redhead!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Yup ya do
Redz

Sorry to hear about your tivo addiction.....now you know why i never wanted one

LOVE the redhead!!!
I keep forgetting you're watching...
I never said it was a BAD thing!   :P  just a mild resentment, I'm never going back to no Tivo

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION