Author Topic: kung fu flicks  (Read 12759 times)

Re: kung fu flicks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If you've got Netflix I suggest Merantau it's a pretty good one. I haven't seen anyone suggest it and it's pretty good the story is decent and the action is great.

Subtitles though...

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »

Offline nicole8

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
its nice movie thanks for the sharing

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Shogun Assassin.  I'm not really that much into kung fu, but I liked that movie.  My husband is the kung fu nut.  I think he has every kung fu movie there ever was. lol  I also like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 04:31:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Love Jackie, Jet, Gordon, Rongguang Yu, Chang Chen, Qi Shu, Ekin Cheng, Stephen Au, Michelle Yeoh, Siu-Wong Fan, et al, but no one will ever compare to Bruce Lee, and my personal favorite is Enter The Dragon, (and Game Of Death). He set a standard that will never be duplicated, and everyone who has followed has had him as their mentor and hero. It would've been amazing to see what he could have accomplished had he lived a long and healthy life. The Master ... period.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:37:11 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
just watched a new film last night. definetly 5 stars. its called "the man from nowhere". great action and story.

i also second merantau. fight scenes were awsome.

for vintage movies u should check into dragon dynasty they are remaking alot of the shaw brothers movies digitily they come out crystal clear. I love the venoms my favorite for vintage
5 deadly venoms

big jackie chan fan like mostly his older stuff

police story 1,2, and 3 was petty good
project A
drunken master 1 and 2
dragons forever
wheels on meals Great fight scenes (jackie fights legendary kick boxer benny the jet

="http://www.youtube.com/v/H6eC-BAsVdQ?version=3&hl=en_US

also check out some of sammo hung's movies and donnie yen

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Not sure if you mean all martial arts, but Tony Jaa has some pretty insane fight scenes. The Protector is a pretty crappy flick, but produced 2 or 3 of the best fight scenes ever. The spiral staircase scene shot in one continuous shot, and the scene where he fights 100 guys in a row.

Does Old Boy count?

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
just watched a new film last night. definetly 5 stars. its called "the man from nowhere". great action and story.

for vintage movies u should check into dragon dynasty they are remaking alot of the shaw brothers movies digitily they come out crystal clear. I love the venoms my favorite for vintage
5 deadly venoms

project A
drunken master 1 and 2
dragons forever
wheels on meals Great fight scenes (jackie fights legendary kick boxer benny the jet

Tommy point for the Wheels on Meals mention! I'd forgotten about that one, but I loved it... dear god has it been 20 years? Where has my life gone?

Is Sammo Hung always given the name Two Chin in the dubs of his movies?

And I agree that Drunken Master and especially Legend of Drunken Master are fantastic.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Ong Bak is a great suggestion, I saw it in the theaters and was floored, it really is a new take on Martial Arts movies. The second one however, is really terrible. It's not a sequel, it's a different movie that was marketed as a sequel here in the US after the popularity of Ong Bak. The plot makes absolutely zero sense, I really hated it, and recommend skipping it highly.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i bought/watched "legend of the fist the return of chen zhen" with donnie yen.  good movie with excellent fight scnes with yen. ip man, ip man2, and now this....yen has stepped up his game with his age. still a huge fan of his movie flash point.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Ong Bak is a great suggestion, I saw it in the theaters and was floored, it really is a new take on Martial Arts movies. The second one however, is really terrible. It's not a sequel, it's a different movie that was marketed as a sequel here in the US after the popularity of Ong Bak. The plot makes absolutely zero sense, I really hated it, and recommend skipping it highly.

the second ong bak is actually a prequel that takes place a long time before the first movie.  it is a really dark film, but jaa's fighting is incredible.  he demonstrated his versatility fighting in martial arts outside of muay thai.  

if u didnt like the 2nd one, you would really hate the third, lol

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Donnie Yen recently made Guan Yu which is pretty good, and if you want to learn a bit of Chinese history, I highly recommend it

And then there's New Shaolin, by Andy Lau, Wu Jing and Jackie Chan...another highly recommended movie, great story and real kung fu shown

PM me if you want more recommendations...I have a huge collection of Kung Fu movies so Ill try to help out

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
C'mon you all know you love Kung Fu Panda 2!!! LOL
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20

5 deadly venoms

project A
drunken master 1 and 2
dragons forever

Tommy point for the Wheels on Meals mention! I'd forgotten about that one, but I loved it... dear god has it been 20 years? Where has my life gone?

Is Sammo Hung always given the name Two Chin in the dubs of his movies?

And I agree that Drunken Master and especially Legend of Drunken Master are fantastic.
lol I'm only 23 grew up watching martial arts films with my pops his collection is pretty deep. Don't remember sammo's name in those movies but all of sammo's movies are great with good fighting.

His newer stuff is also good I recommend SPL with sammo and donnie yen

Also jackie chan's son has a movie out called invisible target which its pretty good.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

Offline nicole80

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Wow what a wonderful animated movie