Author Topic: Glen Davis and the Paul Millsap poison pill.  (Read 8514 times)

Glen Davis and the Paul Millsap poison pill.
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Word has leaked out about the details of Paul Millsap's poison pill that the Portland Trailblazers incorporated into Paul Millsap's offer sheet that is making it so difficult for the Utah Jazz to match Portland's offer.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/blazers_offer_to_paul_millsap.html

The Trail Blazers four-year, $32 million offer to Utah power forward Paul Millsap is front-loaded with what is essentially a $10.3 million signing bonus that must be paid within the first seven days of the contract being approved, according to the player's agent.

The Deseret News in Salt Lake City reported the specifics of the Blazers offer, which sheds some light on why a Blazers source initially termed the offer as "toxic."

Utah has until Friday to match the offer.

If Utah doesn't match, the Blazers reportedly will pay Millsap $6.2 million the first year, $6.2 million the second year, $6.7 million the third year and $7.2 million the fourth year. The deal comes with an up-front $5.6 million signing bonus and $4.7 million of the contract's first year salary.

This deal sounds a lot like an NFL deal with it being front loaded and forcing Utah to have to come up with a $10.3 million($4.7 million or 80% of his first years pay and a $5.6 million signing bonus) paycheck for Millsap within 7 days of signing the contract. Ouch.

So with the possibility of losing Millsap due to a couple of reasons, like the poison pill payment and inability to trade Boozer fast in order to facilitate the room for Millsap, would Utah look to be offering Glen Davis something? Davis would seem to be a good fit there in Utah with the Jazz' type of offense and love of outside shooting big men.

But would they in turn offer him their full MLE to make sure the C's don't match? Are they even interested in him? Could a sign and trade be worked out? It seems like a sign and trade where Baby goes with Tony Allen might be able to be worked out with C J Miles and Kyrylo Forsenko possibly coming to Boston. Miles would fit the C's need for a back up wing and Forsenko is a big body with potential that could be a good 12th man off the bench.

Utah resigned Okur and like Kostas Koufos so Forsenko seems like a redundant player on their roster. So Utah keeps Boozer, gets Baby as a back up at the 4, sorts out their center position going with Okur and Koufos, and add Tony Al;len to help play behind Brewer, Harpring, Korver and Kirilenko at the 2-3 spot.

Re: Glen Davis and the Paul Millsap poison pill.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:22:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Oops!! Sorry mods, this probably should be in the Trade Forum. If so, if you could move it that would be great and I apologize once again for the screw up.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:40:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Or how about the C's offer to take Boozer off their hands for a S&T for Baby for the full MLE, Tony Scal, JR and $2 million cash. It all works out salary wise, the Jazz open the slot for Millsap, get rid of Boozer, get their back up 4, fill in some roster spots that needed being filled anyway and get $2 million towards helping them pay off the poison pill.

C's then would need to start filling some spots in free agency but with Boozer, KG, Wallace and Perk, they really don't need another big this year.

Perk/Wallace
KG/Boozer
Pierce/Walker/FA
Allen/House/Giddens
Rondo/Pruitt/Hudson

If the free agent is someone like a Stackhouse or a Mason or a Hermann or someone like that who can just give Ray and Paul a 15 minutes breather every game and keep their minutes at 34-35 per game, this team would dominate this year. Besides they leave two roster spots open to re-sign Leon if he comes back and add a buy out guy at the deadline.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If my quick math is right, we could only pay Big Baby around $3M / year to make this CJ Miles trade work with Tony Allen, because of BYC issues. And if BBD is willing to play for $3M in Utah, shouldn't we  just try to keep him? I don't hate the trade, but if that's gonna be the number, I think I'd want to keep him.

$3M + $2.5M = $5.5M (Boston OUT)
$3.7M + $0.9M = $4.6M (Boston IN)

$1.5M* + $2.5M = $4.0M (Utah IN)
$3.7M + $0.9M = $4.6M (Utah OUT)

* BYC figure for BBD @ 50% of $3M

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Or how about the C's offer to take Boozer off their hands for a S&T for Baby for the full MLE, Tony Scal, JR and $2 million cash. It all works out salary wise, the Jazz open the slot for Millsap, get rid of Boozer, get their back up 4, fill in some roster spots that needed being filled anyway and get $2 million towards helping them pay off the poison pill.

Doesn't work under the cap I think, but very close... the cash doesn't affect the cap numbers. Unless I did something wrong here... base year compensation again.

$2.8M (BBD BYC) + $2.5M (Allen) + $3.4M (Scal) + $1.0M (Giddens) = $9.7M
Boozer = $12.6M

We would need to get to $10.0M

C's then would need to start filling some spots in free agency but with Boozer, KG, Wallace and Perk, they really don't need another big this year.

Perk/Wallace
KG/Boozer
Pierce/Walker/FA
Allen/House/Giddens
Rondo/Pruitt/Hudson

If the free agent is someone like a Stackhouse or a Mason or a Hermann or someone like that who can just give Ray and Paul a 15 minutes breather every game and keep their minutes at 34-35 per game, this team would dominate this year. Besides they leave two roster spots open to re-sign Leon if he comes back and add a buy out guy at the deadline.

I dunno.. obviously we'd be stacked with Boozer, but how many minutes is he going to get? That's $12.6M for a guy to play maybe 20 MPG and then leave after this year, meanwhile we lost 3 players and could have just kept BBD for no more than half the price. Also Boozer is in a contract year, no way he's riding the bench and liking it.

Always fun to speculate about picking up another stud, but this one doesn't make much sense to me.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If my quick math is right, we could only pay Big Baby around $3M / year to make this CJ Miles trade work with Tony Allen, because of BYC issues. And if BBD is willing to play for $3M in Utah, shouldn't we  just try to keep him? I don't hate the trade, but if that's gonna be the number, I think I'd want to keep him.

$3M + $2.5M = $5.5M (Boston OUT)
$3.7M + $0.9M = $4.6M (Boston IN)

$1.5M* + $2.5M = $4.0M (Utah IN)
$3.7M + $0.9M = $4.6M (Utah OUT)

* BYC figure for BBD @ 50% of $3M
The numbers are around $3.3 million or so for the max Baby contract, so your math is right. The most the Jazz could take in is $5.81 million so that's $2.5 million for Tony and $3.3 million for Baby. But with $4.57 million coming in, the least the C's could send out is $3.556 million. But with Baby's number at $3.3 million and only counting as half the C's are within that range because their salary outgoing is counted as $4.15 million.

If they threw Koufos our way instead of Forsenko Baby's salary could get up as high as $3.8 million or so. Maybe a little under that.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Doesn't work under the cap I think, but very close... the cash doesn't affect the cap numbers. Unless I did something wrong here... base year compensation again.

$2.8M (BBD BYC) + $2.5M (Allen) + $3.4M (Scal) + $1.0M (Giddens) = $9.7M
Boozer = $12.6M

We would need to get to $10.0M

Perk/Wallace
KG/Boozer
Pierce/Walker/FA
Allen/House/Giddens
Rondo/Pruitt/Hudson

I dunno.. obviously we'd be stacked with Boozer, but how many minutes is he going to get? That's $12.6M for a guy to play maybe 20 MPG and then leave after this year, meanwhile we lost 3 players and could have just kept BBD for no more than half the price. Also Boozer is in a contract year, no way he's riding the bench and liking it.

Always fun to speculate about picking up another stud, but this one doesn't make much sense to me.
The numbers do just match up.

Baby = $5854000/2 = $2927000
Scal = $3413793
Tony = $2500000
J R =  $1028880

Total = $9869673 outgoing which means that the largest amount of contracts the C's could take in would be

$9869673 * 1.25 + 100000 = 12,437,091

Boozer's contract falls in that range and the Celtics totalk of incoming contracts is well within Boozer's contract range.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Let's see.  A one year rental of Boozer would cost 25 million dollars (with luxury tax), and they would be paying Perkins another 4.2 million to be a 10 minute a game player. Plus, with all those bodies going out, they would need to fill 3 more roster spots and pay double for those (counting the luxury tax).

I can guarantee you that a Boozer deal isn't happening.

Utah either gets BBD as an RFA or the Celtics match.

What I could see happening is Ray Allen and a resigned BBD for Kirilenko, Korver and Fesenko.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
word is the jazz are trying to match...if so...another it would be great.portland would go after odom hopefully taking him off the lakers and baby would be very limited in his options without the jazz

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
word is the jazz are trying to match...if so...another it would be great.portland would go after odom hopefully taking him off the lakers and baby would be very limited in his options without the jazz

That is indeed my hope.  For all his flaws, Odom (when motivated) is a very good player.  Losing him would hurt the Lakers.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

That is indeed my hope.  For all his flaws, Odom (when motivated) is a very good player.  Losing him would hurt the Lakers.

No doubt, and wether he's motivated or not, he's always a matchup concern.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
So let me get this straight, you would want to potentially trade 4 players for Boozer, meaning we'd pay at least 12 million dollars for a guy who might see...how many minutes a game?

If the plan was to play KG and Perk around 32 minutes a game, and have Rasheed play around 20-25, that means our final 4 needs only to be a 10-15 minute guy.

Also, recognize that that would mean we'd be disgustingly cash strapped, and would have to sign a lot of scrubs that woudl cost 2 million (due to tax) to fill up the roster.

People forget everytime we trade people a way we need someone else to take that slot. It better be worth it.

[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So let me get this straight, you would want to potentially trade 4 players for Boozer, meaning we'd pay at least 12 million dollars for a guy who might see...how many minutes a game?

If the plan was to play KG and Perk around 32 minutes a game, and have Rasheed play around 20-25, that means our final 4 needs only to be a 10-15 minute guy.

Also, recognize that that would mean we'd be disgustingly cash strapped, and would have to sign a lot of scrubs that woudl cost 2 million (due to tax) to fill up the roster.

People forget everytime we trade people a way we need someone else to take that slot. It better be worth it.

I posted my possible roster above. Yes it would mean more money but it protects us from what happened last year. Perk has a trick shoulder. Both Sheed and KG are entering their 15th seasons. And yes Boozer goes after a year but you own his Bird rights and could resign him while trading either Sheed or Perk.

Or he comes off the books along with Ray and the C's get under the cap, possibly big time if Pierce restructures.

And Doc could play Perk 20 minutes and the other 3 guys about 26 MPG. The efficiency in the front court would be phenomenal. Honestly, I doubt it happens and doubt Ainge would be interested. But he does want scoring off the bench and a 1-2 punch of Boozer and Sheed would be great coming off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%

I posted my possible roster above. Yes it would mean more money but it protects us from what happened last year. Perk has a trick shoulder. Both Sheed and KG are entering their 15th seasons. And yes Boozer goes after a year but you own his Bird rights and could resign him while trading either Sheed or Perk.

Or he comes off the books along with Ray and the C's get under the cap, possibly big time if Pierce restructures.

And Doc could play Perk 20 minutes and the other 3 guys about 26 MPG. The efficiency in the front court would be phenomenal. Honestly, I doubt it happens and doubt Ainge would be interested. But he does want scoring off the bench and a 1-2 punch of Boozer and Sheed would be great coming off the bench.

I don't know. Minutes may cause issues, and I still wouldn't want to pay someone that much for a bench player. Also, trying to have decent players to split that kind of minutes has never worked except for one season in Memphis (and also never unless there are no all-stars).

I doubt Ainge would do it, but I wouldn't either.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I would flip Boozer to another team in order to pick up the pieces that we need. Chicago would be my first call.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010