Author Topic: How about John Salmons?...  (Read 5402 times)

How about John Salmons?...
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Chicago is trying to get Boozer. The trades I have seen have not involved Luol Deng or John Salmons. The most likely trade is a three way with CHI, UTA, and POR, and CHI would only be giving up Tyrus Thomas and Heinrich.

Luol Deng is younger than Salmons and has 5 years left on his contract, so I assume they would prefer to have him start instead of Salmons. Chicago needs role players, and with Tyrus and Heinrich gone, they need some young guys with potential. How about Gabe Pruitt to backup Rose, Tony to replace Salmon's defense, Scal with his veteran presence, and Giddens to grow up with Rose and maybe become a dominant backcourt in a couple of years?

Not to mention that all of the players we would be giving up are expiring this year, and possible buy-outs. Here's the link to the trade which works out perfectly...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n3j8xs

BOS outgoing: T. Allen, Scal, Giddens, Pruitt, future 1st or 2nd?
BOS incoming: John Salmons

BOS lineup:

PG:  Rondo / FA PG / Hudson
SG:  Allen / House / (spot minutes for Salmons)
SF:  Pierce / Salmons / Walker
PF:  KG / BBD / Powe @ allstar break?
C:   Perkins / Sheed / (Fazekas or Swift)

I know you guys arent head over heels for Hudson but I watched the entire summer league and I think at this point, he has a bigger upside than Pruitt even though he's 24. With this trade we NEED to sign BBD, or maybe sign and trade him to fill up the rest of our bench. I think this is probably the best bench any of us can hope for(realistically). Thoughts????

Re: How about John Salmons?...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Chicago is trying to get Boozer. The trades I have seen have not involved Luol Deng or John Salmons. The most likely trade is a three way with CHI, UTA, and POR, and CHI would only be giving up Tyrus Thomas and Heinrich.

Luol Deng is younger than Salmons and has 5 years left on his contract, so I assume they would prefer to have him start instead of Salmons. Chicago needs role players, and with Tyrus and Heinrich gone, they need some young guys with potential. How about Gabe Pruitt to backup Rose, Tony to replace Salmon's defense, Scal with his veteran presence, and Giddens to grow up with Rose and maybe become a dominant backcourt in a couple of years?

Not to mention that all of the players we would be giving up are expiring this year, and possible buy-outs. Here's the link to the trade which works out perfectly...

BOS lineup:

I know you guys arent head over heels for Hudson but I watched the entire summer league and I think at this point, he has a bigger upside than Pruitt even though he's 24. With this trade we NEED to sign BBD, or maybe sign and trade him to fill up the rest of our bench. I think this is probably the best bench any of us can hope for(realistically). Thoughts????

With Ben Gordon out I'm sure they're fine with Salmons starting at the 2. Salmons is one of the best value contracts (19ppg at only 6mill a year). I personally think it was one of the reasons they didn't mind letting go of BG.

Chicago would want more than just expirings which is what we have to offer. Though I would love to see that happen (his defense against Paul in the playoffs was actually decent minus game 5), I doubt Chicago would want to do that deal, especially to a contending team that they might face.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

BOS lineup:

Usually, teams don't give up good, young players with reasonable contracts for several scrubs.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Salmons is a terrible defender, however if we could get him for that cheap (doubtful) i'd do it cause he'd provide some nice scoring off the bench and he would be guarding bench players mostly so his awful defense wouldnt be as big of an issue

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!

Usually, teams don't give up good, young players with reasonable contracts for several scrubs.

Good value? Yes. Young player? Not really. He is going to be 30 this year. Another point is that chicago may be trying to play him at the 2, but his ball handling is not good enough for that. I think their getting decent value. Scal and Tony ARE scrubs, but Giddens and Pruitt are unknowns who still hold SOME type of value.

Either way I'm just, as they say, "throwing spaghetti on the wall and hoping it sticks". lol.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%

Good value? Yes. Young player? Not really. He is going to be 30 this year. Another point is that chicago may be trying to play him at the 2, but his ball handling is not good enough for that. I think their getting decent value. Scal and Tony ARE scrubs, but Giddens and Pruitt are unknowns who still hold SOME type of value.

Either way I'm just, as they say, "throwing spaghetti on the wall and hoping it sticks". lol.

But the SG spot in chicago never needed to be a great ball handler with such a good PG in Rose. How often at the SG spot did you see Ben Gordon pass? They just needed to create a shot for themselves, which Salmons does pretty well.

I'm just saying, with only 2 years left, being paid 6 mill and having a player put up 19ppg (and his percentages are very good), that's not something you trade that often.

Never Forget

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm not at all sure why the Bulls - who don't have any publicized financial problems - would take a bag of Danny's trash for the Unstoppable John Salmons.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman

But the SG spot in chicago never needed to be a great ball handler with such a good PG in Rose. How often at the SG spot did you see Ben Gordon pass? They just needed to create a shot for themselves, which Salmons does pretty well.

I'm just saying, with only 2 years left, being paid 6 mill and having a player put up 19ppg (and his percentages are very good), that's not something you trade that often.

Salmons is the typical type of overrated player by people who just look at simple box score stats. Infact opposing SF's were way more efficent against him than he was against them. http://www.82games.com/0809/08CHI8.HTM

he had a 17.2 PER and opposing SFs who he guarded had a 17.2 PER against him which is identical. However PER overrates bulk scorers, and while Salmons scored a few more points he did it less efficently than SFs did against him (53.5 eFG% for him and opposing SFs had 55.2 eFG% against him). He plays awful defense, not sure why so many fans ignore defense as its super important.

I do think getting him would be a decent addition only because he would be able to go against bench players who he'd have an easier time guarding. That said he is not even CLOSE to as good as most fans would think by looking at his box score stats.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think John Salmons is a very good defender. He played great defense in his last full year in Sacramento, and was generally a good defender throughout his tenure there. He has a lot of defensive ability.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I agree - I thought Salmons was an excellent versatile defender.

The biggest reason not to get him involves role, though. A lot of people were saying that he's just not as good as a bench player, largely because of ego. He considers himself a starter and doesn't want to come off the bench. That's why Deng's injury worked out for Chicago.

I actually think Chicago would be more inclined to trade away Deng for a pupu platter of expirings and young guys. He's more expensive and locked up for a long time, and not much better than Salmons. And there future revolves around Rose, so the money going to Deng would be much more useful going to a big scorer down low.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
I think John Salmons is a very good defender. He played great defense in his last full year in Sacramento, and was generally a good defender throughout his tenure there. He has a lot of defensive ability.

every stat disagrees with u, great defense lol Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAC7.HTM

thats his from sac before he got traded, 17.1 PER against and 51.3 eFG% which is still very bad altho not as horrible as his time in chicago. He also played some minutes at SG which he didn't at chicago and it was not pretty, 21.6 PER against and 54.2 eFG% against

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%
I agree - I thought Salmons was an excellent versatile defender.

The biggest reason not to get him involves role, though. A lot of people were saying that he's just not as good as a bench player, largely because of ego. He considers himself a starter and doesn't want to come off the bench. That's why Deng's injury worked out for Chicago.

I actually think Chicago would be more inclined to trade away Deng for a pupu platter of expirings and young guys. He's more expensive and locked up for a long time, and not much better than Salmons. And there future revolves around Rose, so the money going to Deng would be much more useful going to a big scorer down low.

Regardless I doubt we'd get him. I personally don't think Salmons is a good defender, but like I said, he did a decent job on PP during the playoffs, which means it's a heart thing.

I seriously doubt they'd trade either Deng or Salmons though. From the rumours going on, if they were trying to trade someone they're mostly going to trade Hinrich or Tyrus Thomas

Never Forget

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Okay, maybe not excellent, but I'll go on what I saw him doing against Paul Pierce. When he's locked in, I think he can be very very good. As I was saying, I think Salmons' problem is mental - he just doesn't lock in on the game consistently. When he tries, he's an excellent all around player. But too often, if he doesn't feel like he's enough of a focus of the team (i.e., coming off the bench, lower level option on offense), he just loafs.

And I agree Chicago won't be focused on dealing Salmons, or any other core player (Rose-Salmons-Hinrich-Deng-Thomas-Noah-Miller), unless they get a beast big man back.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%
Remember though, being in the Celtics system with KG makes your defense better. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were never known as great defenders early in their careers, and Perkins has improved leaps and bounds since working with KG.

Never Forget

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
Remember though, being in the Celtics system with KG makes your defense better. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were never known as great defenders early in their careers, and Perkins has improved leaps and bounds since working with KG.

Pierce was a great defender early in his career under o'brien and when he had Walker to help him carry the offensive load. His defense fell off later because Walker left and he had to use way more energy on offense as well as o'brien leaving so the defensive system was way worse.

Having KG/Perk back there obv helps out Pierce on D but having KG/Ray/Rondo etc helps out Pierce on d because he doesn't have to use nearly as much energy on the offensive end.