Author Topic: Who is Danny after?  (Read 10752 times)

Who is Danny after?
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:03:42 AM »

Offline CeltMick

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
From today's Herald:

"Ainge’s summer isn’t finished, though. Though he declined to identify the next target, a league source said that the Celtics have been investigating sign-and-trade possibilities with other teams."http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/

Most of the top remaining free agents, including our own Big Baby, are PFs: Lamar Odom, David Lee, and Paul Milsap.  While I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Danny might go after any one of those guys, they seem unlikely targets.  As a general matter, we just acquired a PF and already had a pretty good one.  Specifically, Odom is a Laker and I don't seem them facilitating the Celtics' improvement; the Knicks are in division and Lee doesn't seem likely to be in our price range even for a sign-and-trade or be a DA-type PF, i.e. not a guy who will stretch the floor or dominate in the post. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?playerId=2772.  And the recent news out of Portland suggests that Milsap is destined for the Rose Garden, and if not there, Utah.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4320029.

In light of the above, and team needs, any sign-and-trade would likely be focused on providing a power three who could play the four in a pinch and a point guard.  The players that fit the former description include Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Linas Kleiza.  Possible point guards are Andre Miller, Raymond Felton, Ramon Sessions, Allen Iverson, and Nate Robinson.  Of this lot, the ATL boys, Raymond Felton, and Nate Robinson make the most sense to me. 

The Bobcats don't appear to be that committed to keeping Felton, but he may be seeking rather redundant with Eddie House on the roster, and he may be seeking an opportunity to vie for the starting spot. And the same could be said for Nate Robinson.

My guess is that Atlanta could be convinced to part with the
rights to Childress pretty easily, and he has shown himself to be a very smart, active SF-type (though we may have to offer a pretty penny to get him out of Greece).

What does everyone else think? Would Childress be worth taking on a 5-7 million dollar commitment over 4 years?

Re: Who is Danny after?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i prefer to resign baby and trading any combo of scal, pruitt, walker and giddens for a legit wing to back up PP. keep baby add a wing. but i have no idea who he is after. i wouldnt mind getting childress or williams

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
With Danny now evaluating sign-and-trade possibilities, I assume this is going to take until late August again for us to get another player.

I can't believe this. They sign Wallace and even tell him they are going to further improve the team, and now nothing after they lost out on Grant Hill.

The same happened last year. We tried to get backup for PP, but lost out on Posey and Maggette and then basically did nothing for the rest of the season while promising to explore further options. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again, but everything points to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW

What does everyone else think? Would Childress be worth taking on a 5-7 million dollar commitment over 4 years?

Sure!  He has a good/unorthodox game and I think he would fit in very well.  Good Length for the position, and did I mention his goofy style?  there is entertainment value here as well.

GO for it.
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
S and T points towards RFA. 

Childress
Moon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I heard Ainge is trying to trade for Moon, I don't know what the Heat would want for him though.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36

Childress
Moon

With Memphis under the cap, a move for Warrick would be a somewhat simple one also as Memphis can take more salary back than their outgoing BYC1 number.  Not sure Cs would in interested, but he may be a possibility.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Childress
Moon

I think this is correct.  Would much prefer Childress over Moon, but wonder what we would have to give up in either case (probably start with the expiring contracts of TA, Scal and Pruitt).

S&T could also involve Baby -- ie: Cs help a team looking to sign Baby, and get the backup wing needed in return. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »

Offline ZibNation

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
With Danny now evaluating sign-and-trade possibilities, I assume this is going to take until late August again for us to get another player.

I can't believe this. They sign Wallace and even tell him they are going to further improve the team, and now nothing after they lost out on Grant Hill.

The same happened last year. We tried to get backup for PP, but lost out on Posey and Maggette and then basically did nothing for the rest of the season while promising to explore further options. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again, but everything points to it.

Jeez relax, Grant Hill signed yesterday what do you expect Danny to immediately make a move?  These things take time especially if youre trying to do a sign and trade

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I rather Travis Outlaw for Tony Allen and J.R. Giddens :D
Portland have been shopping him for years, so they'll probably take the bait. If not that, then Sign and trade Glen Davis 3.5mil = 1.75 + Tony Allen 2.5mil totals = 4.25 for Travis Outlaws 3.6mil (I checked all the #'s on espn trade machine using J.R., Tony, and Bill Walker)

If 2 for 1 is too much the Celts could just sign Baby to a larger contract @ the MLE 5.8mil = 2.9. No matter the trade it works with Portland because they are way under the salary cap. :-*

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

Jeez relax, Grant Hill signed yesterday what do you expect Danny to immediately make a move?  These things take time especially if youre trying to do a sign and trade

That's what I am saying, and we don't have that time. If we come up empty, Pierce will be dead by March.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i prefer keeping baby..he isnt going to get over 4 mil a season..prefer trading tony with pruitt and walker for a legit wing...keep scal for the trade deadline to add another piece if need be...i have no problem with moon and would be very very happy with childress

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

actually the same thing didn't happen last year - last year the Celtics signed Paddy O'Bryant as their big free agent - this year its Rasheed Wallace - Wallace is the equivalent if not more than the equivalent of Posey as far as stature, big FA signings go...

I trust Danny does the right thing and finds a swingman who fits into our rotation - there's plenty of guys out there as evidenced by the various threads on this
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:10:48 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I still think our best move is to lump together our non-Ray expirings and trade with a team that likely will want to dump a guy making too much over too long a period.  To me, the best targets are Nocioni from Sac, or Maggette or Stephen Jackson from GS.

Then resign Baby, and snag a backup PG using the LLE and we're good to go.

That'd be my ideal off-season.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I still think our best move is to lump together our non-Ray expirings and trade with a team that likely will want to dump a guy making too much over too long a period.  To me, the best targets are Nocioni from Sac, or Maggette or Stephen Jackson from GS.

Then resign Baby, and snag a backup PG using the LLE and we're good to go.

That'd be my ideal off-season.

yep...mine too...walker/giddens, take pruiit, scal, tony and get a a wing...resign baby...find a point guard..i think ainge is going after moon